Our QB situation
-
If we didn't have the #1 overall, would you guys be willing to sell the future to move to #1 to take Rosen or Darnold? Personally, I would not. Neither one of them is the best QB in this class and NOBODY outside of Cleveland COVET these bums. Rosen is David Carr and Darnold is Dalton. Neither will take us to the next level. I'd rather watch Kizer for another year... and that's saying something... If you truly want one of these guys, they will both be on the board @ #4.
If we didn't have the #1 overall, would you guys be willing to sell the future to move to #1 to take Rosen or Darnold? Personally, I would not. Neither one of them is the best QB in this class and NOBODY outside of Cleveland COVET these bums. Rosen is David Carr and Darnold is Dalton. Neither will take us to the next level. I'd rather watch Kizer for another year... and that's saying something..
That's what they were saying about Goff & Wentz about this time of year a couple of years ago.
-
If we didn't have the #1 overall, would you guys be willing to sell the future to move to #1 to take Rosen or Darnold? Personally, I would not. Neither one of them is the best QB in this class and NOBODY outside of Cleveland COVET these bums. Rosen is David Carr and Darnold is Dalton. Neither will take us to the next level. I'd rather watch Kizer for another year... and that's saying something... If you truly want one of these guys, they will both be on the board @ #4.
Rosen is David Carr and Darnold is Dalton. Neither will take us to the next level. I'd rather watch Kizer for another year... and that's saying something...
Bang your head..Poe is here to drive you mad
next level is a roster'd QB with more than zero wins. Kizer has a full season of tape to watch Kizer. just may not know his teacher yet
-
So, we're a couple of months away from the date that FA signings and trading can begin. It is what happens in the hours, days and weeks after March 14th, 4:00pm EST that will shape our draft and tell us what we can 'anticipate or expect' to happen with our QB position (and other positions, of course).
By and large, we lost all of our games because of our QB position. Kizer is the goat. (comes with being a 21 yr old rookie QB - and comes with the $$ - take the good with the bad DeSonne). LOTS of rookie QB's have played like him.....and worse. If Terry Bradshaw were to play as badly in TODAY'S NFL as he did back then, I don't know that he'd have gotten a third season (and maybe not a 2nd season, which was also pretty bad).
For now, we speculate.....and build a solid FO and subordinate coaches. But until we put a competent QB on the field, we will remain an incompetent football team. I'm thinking that our new FO braintrust understands that better than the lawyer we had running the roster the last couple of years.
-
OMG PoG has stolen Tour's identity!

Someone would want it?
If we didn't have the #1 overall, would you guys be willing to sell the future to move to #1 to take Rosen or Darnold?
That's what they were saying about Goff & Wentz about this time of year a couple of years ago.
Exactly... "selling the future" takes a whole lot more conviction than spending a "mere" #1 overall. And somewhere between the two is turning down another team's future to make the pick.
I'm thinking that our new FO braintrust understands that better than the lawyer we had running the roster the last couple of years.
Pretty sure Sashi understood the need just fine... just never saw the candidate come available that bested the alternative(s).
-
OMG PoG has stolen Tour's identity!

Someone would want it?
If we didn't have the #1 overall, would you guys be willing to sell the future to move to #1 to take Rosen or Darnold?
That's what they were saying about Goff & Wentz about this time of year a couple of years ago.
Exactly... "selling the future" takes a whole lot more conviction than spending a "mere" #1 overall. And somewhere between the two is turning down another team's future to make the pick.
I'm thinking that our new FO braintrust understands that better than the lawyer we had running the roster the last couple of years.
Pretty sure Sashi understood the need just fine... just never saw the candidate come available that bested the alternative(s).
Pretty sure Sashi understood the need just fine... just never saw the candidate come available that bested the alternative(s).
But the Rams, Eagles and Texans did. Thus he's out of a job.
When the Harvard Think Tank came out and said they traded the #2 pick away because they didn't think that Wentz would be a top 20 QB in the league I said, "OK. That's a theory. BUT YOU'D BETTER BE RIGHT!" The whole world knew how badly we needed a QB. And I wanted either Wentz or Goff. When the Rams traded to #1 I was like, ok...we get Wentz. Great! We're finally getting our QB.
Well, it turned out that Sashi was wrong. And we've tried every QB on the roster and a 16 million dollar one that ISN'T on the roster, to try and win a football game. And we couldn't.
Taking the QB was the smart play. We needed one badly. You really can't be faulted (all that much) for TRYING to fix the QB position by taking one of the two best QB's in the draft. But you put your head squarely on the chopping block when you let someone ELSE have him...and he turns out to be pretty good.
-
...can we go back to 1964 again......please......when we won a championship......
Sure: 1964:
The Boston Strangler was active.
Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton wed for the first time
Martin Luther King Jr. won the Nobel Peace Prize
The Warren Report was released
The Tonkin Gulf Resolution was passed
Meet the Beatles was released. The Beatles hold down the Top 5 spots of the Billboard Top 40 at one time
Cassius Clay beats Sonny Liston to win the World Heavyweight title.
The Ford Mustang is introduced
A 9.2 Richter scale Earthquake hits Alaska
Sidney Poitier wins the Best Actor Oscar...the first black man to to do.
The G.I. Joe action figure is introduced
Buffalo Wings are first created at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo NY
Johnson defeats Goldwater
The St. Louis Cardinals defeat the NY Yankees in 7 games to win the World Series
The Cleveland Browns win the NFL Championship
Sure: 1964:
The Boston Strangler was active.
Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton wed for the first time
Martin Luther King Jr. won the Nobel Peace Prize
The Warren Report was released
The Tonkin Gulf Resolution was passed
Meet the Beatles was released. The Beatles hold down the Top 5 spots of the Billboard Top 40 at one time
Cassius Clay beats Sonny Liston to win the World Heavyweight title.
The Ford Mustang is introduced
A 9.2 Richter scale Earthquake hits Alaska
Sidney Poitier wins the Best Actor Oscar...the first black man to to do.
The G.I. Joe action figure is introduced
Buffalo Wings are first created at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo NY
Johnson defeats Goldwater
The St. Louis Cardinals defeat the NY Yankees in 7 games to win the World Series
The Cleveland Browns win the NFL Championship
I remember all of that......except maybe the Buffalo wings thing which I don't think was readily known to the world yet.
-
-
Pretty sure Sashi understood the need just fine... just never saw the candidate come available that bested the alternative(s).
But the Rams, Eagles and Texans did. Thus he's out of a job.
When the Harvard Think Tank came out and said they traded the #2 pick away because they didn't think that Wentz would be a top 20 QB in the league I said, "OK. That's a theory. BUT YOU'D BETTER BE RIGHT!" The whole world knew how badly we needed a QB. And I wanted either Wentz or Goff. When the Rams traded to #1 I was like, ok...we get Wentz. Great! We're finally getting our QB.
Well, it turned out that Sashi was wrong. And we've tried every QB on the roster and a 16 million dollar one that ISN'T on the roster, to try and win a football game. And we couldn't.
Taking the QB was the smart play. We needed one badly. You really can't be faulted (all that much) for TRYING to fix the QB position by taking one of the two best QB's in the draft. But you put your head squarely on the chopping block when you let someone ELSE have him...and he turns out to be pretty good.
- But the Rams, Eagles and Texans did. Thus he's out of a job.
- When the Harvard Think Tank came out and said they traded the #2 pick away because they didn't think that Wentz would be a top 20 QB in the league I said, "OK. That's a theory. BUT YOU'D BETTER BE RIGHT!" The whole world knew how badly we needed a QB. And I wanted either Wentz or Goff. When the Rams traded to #1 I was like, ok...we get Wentz. Great! We're finally getting our QB.
- Well, it turned out that Sashi was wrong. And we've tried every QB on the roster and a 16 million dollar one that ISN'T on the roster, to try and win a football game. And we couldn't.
- Taking the QB was the smart play. We needed one badly. You really can't be faulted (all that much) for TRYING to fix the QB position by taking one of the two best QB's in the draft. But you put your head squarely on the chopping block when you let someone ELSE have him...and he turns out to be pretty good.
- I don't believe those were the determining factor. The botched McCarron deal, for which Sashi was lauded by most fans, was determinative... that plus Hue and the newly arrived Dorsey were in Jimmah's ear with the long knives out.
- I agree... Wentz is a top 20 QB.
- The FO was wrong. The purchase of a 2nd round pick by the same FO for $16mm was unprecedented.
- lol... of course a GM can be faulted... all you have to do is pick the wrong one of the two top QBs.
-
- But the Rams, Eagles and Texans did. Thus he's out of a job.
- When the Harvard Think Tank came out and said they traded the #2 pick away because they didn't think that Wentz would be a top 20 QB in the league I said, "OK. That's a theory. BUT YOU'D BETTER BE RIGHT!" The whole world knew how badly we needed a QB. And I wanted either Wentz or Goff. When the Rams traded to #1 I was like, ok...we get Wentz. Great! We're finally getting our QB.
- Well, it turned out that Sashi was wrong. And we've tried every QB on the roster and a 16 million dollar one that ISN'T on the roster, to try and win a football game. And we couldn't.
- Taking the QB was the smart play. We needed one badly. You really can't be faulted (all that much) for TRYING to fix the QB position by taking one of the two best QB's in the draft. But you put your head squarely on the chopping block when you let someone ELSE have him...and he turns out to be pretty good.
- I don't believe those were the determining factor. The botched McCarron deal, for which Sashi was lauded by most fans, was determinative... that plus Hue and the newly arrived Dorsey were in Jimmah's ear with the long knives out.
- I agree... Wentz is a top 20 QB.
- The FO was wrong. The purchase of a 2nd round pick by the same FO for $16mm was unprecedented.
- lol... of course a GM can be faulted... all you have to do is pick the wrong one of the two top QBs.
-
That, the subsequent comments from Hue's daughter was just more egg on Jimmuh's face. Possibly the final straw.
What is it with our head coaches and their daughters running their mouths?
Remember when Pettine got the HC job, and his daughter said that this was great news, even if it was in Cleveland?

-
Anybody here want to say that Nick Foles is a better QB than Matt Ryan? I mean, the Eagles won that game. To win you have to have the better QB I thought?
The sun doesn't rise and fall on a QB. It's a team game. A QB's job is just to get the ball into the specialists hands, ie. the playmakers. That is all a QB has to do, that and not give the ball to the other team in the process of giving it to our guys.
-
Anybody here want to say that Nick Foles is a better QB than Matt Ryan? I mean, the Eagles won that game. To win you have to have the better QB I thought?
The sun doesn't rise and fall on a QB. It's a team game. A QB's job is just to get the ball into the specialists hands, ie. the playmakers. That is all a QB has to do, that and not give the ball to the other team in the process of giving it to our guys.
Anybody here want to say that Nick Foles is a better QB than Matt Ryan? I mean, the Eagles won that game. To win you have to have the better QB I thought?
The sun doesn't rise and fall on a QB. It's a team game. A QB's job is just to get the ball into the specialists hands, ie. the playmakers. That is all a QB has to do, that and not give the ball to the other team in the process of giving it to our guys.
From the guy that posted a poll every week that was a poorly veiled attempt to pimp his QB, mind you.
Now QBs aren't that important.
-
Passing CP/ATT YDS TD INT M. Ryan 22 / 36 210 1 0 -
...will be a changin'.
IF we were to get an Alex Smith. Then we'll probably still take a QB #1 (or #4....however that works out). Of course it IS possible that they DON'T draft a QB high with the thinking that Kizer will eventually grow into being a real good QB, but I should think they would go ahead and draft one.
IF we were to get Cousins then we're spending oodles of money and will most definitely not draft a QB high in the draft. Again, Kizer gets to try and grow into the position for the 'down the road' future. This scenario puts the #1 pick up in the air. A trade down becomes possibility #1. Even multiple trades down....if the Giants were to jump to #1 so that no one else could take the guy they covet. And then someone trading for our, then, #2 overall pick.
I'm not really sure WHAT would happen if they were to acquire AJ McCarron.
-------------
It's my birthday today. I'm officially old. But I still own a vette and will be bringing my guitar to band practice tonight.

Feliz cumpleaños!!!
I don't know how many years is "officialy old".
The more you guys talk about the repercusion of signing Cousins, the less I like the idea and the more I wish we sign Alex Smith. Even McCarron could be a better addition, as Hue loves him and we should try to keep content our dearest coach.
Feliz cumpleaños!!!
I don't know how many years is "officialy old".
The more you guys talk about the repercusion of signing Cousins, the less I like the idea and the more I wish we sign Alex Smith. Even McCarron could be a better addition, as Hue loves him and we should try to keep content our dearest coach.
The repercussion of signing Cousins would be having our franchise QB in place for at least the next 7 years. With free agents and the draft around him we are contenders in 2018. We have half a dozen drafts to find a draft gem QB to grow behind him if Kizer doesn't. To me it's all upside. Think about Cousins behind our line throwing to Saquon Barkley, Duke Johnson , Josh Gordon, Jarvis Landry, Coleman and Njoku. That's a football boner!! Name me the more talent laden offenses than that in total.
-
Anybody here want to say that Nick Foles is a better QB than Matt Ryan? I mean, the Eagles won that game. To win you have to have the better QB I thought?
The sun doesn't rise and fall on a QB. It's a team game. A QB's job is just to get the ball into the specialists hands, ie. the playmakers. That is all a QB has to do, that and not give the ball to the other team in the process of giving it to our guys.
Anybody here want to say that Nick Foles is a better QB than Matt Ryan? I mean, the Eagles won that game. To win you have to have the better QB I thought?
The sun doesn't rise and fall on a QB. It's a team game. A QB's job is just to get the ball into the specialists hands, ie. the playmakers. That is all a QB has to do, that and not give the ball to the other team in the process of giving it to our guys.
I do agree you can win with an average QB at times. Having said that the Foles / Ryan comparison is not so good. I believe Ryan is showing significantly diminished skills.
-
If he's ruled an unrestricted free agent, all the Browns would give up for him is Jimmy's blood money.
It may be one of the reasons I am more for signing a FA vet QB...than making a trade.
Smith....has to be trade.
Bradfords....only have to give him money.
McCarron...if UFA.....only have to give him money.....beyond that, Sashi may have gotten fired over it...but he was right not to give up a 2d for him.
Cousins. I am in a quandry about him. I just don't know.
Also....Brees and Garrapolo are FAs...but I don't see the Browns making a move on them....or them making a move on the Browns.
Bridgewater and Keenum? I don't know......solicit opinions on them.
To paraphrase Archie and Edith Bunker: "Mister we could use a man like Josh McCown again".
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login