Skip to content

Annual Draft

The Browns Board
30 17 651
  • I sit in front of my TV with a couple of decent prospect lists and cross them out as they get drafted. Usually go back and forth with a couple of networks the first day. I keep my own short list of favorites I hope we find a way to get. Usually never happens (except Garrett).

    I wanted Henry, Watson, Prescott, Foster and Tyler Lockett. We have had enough misses on my best picks to turn my stomach nearly every draft.

    I'm working on my short list for this year. Been thinking how impressive Georgia's "other" back Sony Michel was in the playoffs. Chubb did not have the speed I had anticipated and it will show in the combine. I'm looking at a couple of the Bama DTs and of course do it all DB Fitzgerald from Bama. My longshot is Christian Kirk with 7 punt/ko returns for his career. We need better than we have in punt/KO returner. Plus speed to stretch a D.

    @texasag1969 said:

     My longshot is Christian Kirk with 7 punt/ko returns for his career. We need better than we have in punt/KO returner. Plus speed to stretch a D.

    Kirk looks like a can't miss baller..I can't get him pass Ravens nor Bengals (even with Ross) in this draft. AJ can't play forever. Unless we somehow get a future 1st round pick  at #4? It's a long long shot..Kirk will blow up speed drills at combine & no team will get a 2nd shot after Round 1.

  • When the Draft used to be Saturday/Sunday, some guys from the message board mjp and I came from used to meet up and watch the Saturday festivities. I still remember two of them threatening to jump in the pond behind my place when the Browns drafted Joe Thomas with the 3rd pick overall instead of, wait for it, Brady Quinn. Oh they were soooooo happy when the Browns got him later. So, so happy. 😆 Then two years later one of the guys trying to explain to us (and he would keep it up for YEARS after) how Mangini did a masterful job negotiating the '09 Draft. Used to be a somewhat drunken fest with tons of bad food.

    Now it just devolved into a buddy and me with our heads in our hands muttering: "I can't Shmucking believe they just took Johnny Shmucking Football..."

  • I only watched the 2017 draft. On my own, at late night in Spain, with my family wondering what the hell I was doing. I just watched first 2 rounds, though.

    If people want to meet up in the Tavern that day, I'm up for it!

  • I actually do my own 4 round draft....every team then see if I hit on any ...... might try all 7 rounds this year but that might be a pain.......I watch NFL Network normally...record the other and switch across to see what ESPN say when the Browns pick a player.....

  • I sit in front of my TV with a couple of decent prospect lists and cross them out as they get drafted. Usually go back and forth with a couple of networks the first day. I keep my own short list of favorites I hope we find a way to get. Usually never happens (except Garrett).

    I wanted Henry, Watson, Prescott, Foster and Tyler Lockett. We have had enough misses on my best picks to turn my stomach nearly every draft.

    I'm working on my short list for this year. Been thinking how impressive Georgia's "other" back Sony Michel was in the playoffs. Chubb did not have the speed I had anticipated and it will show in the combine. I'm looking at a couple of the Bama DTs and of course do it all DB Fitzgerald from Bama. My longshot is Christian Kirk with 7 punt/ko returns for his career. We need better than we have in punt/KO returner. Plus speed to stretch a D.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I wanted Henry, Watson, Prescott, Foster and Tyler Lockett. We have had enough misses on my best picks to turn my stomach nearly every draft.

    Who really wanted Dak Prescot when he came into the draft?  He was a 4th round pick and I thought he would be right around that pick, never thought he would start as well as he did.  Obviously, when Zeke was out, his stats fell.  I'm not saying this to take a shot at you, but I can't imagine why anyone would want this guy to come to the Browns.

  • A couple of years, I took a day's leave, and drove home on Thurs night from the Air Force, and Dad and I watched the draft

    over Hamburger Station hamburgers (with all the onions)...back in the old days. Now, I go to a friend's draft party and

    plenty of food gets us through all the wondering, guesses and jokes, the first round, and then I watch it at home

    with my Wife until we decide to play a video game or cards until the Browns draft again.... With the changes, I believe that

    this draft is the key to a dramatic turnaround. They were in a lot of games, a lot of the time. Just....never....won. BIG turnaround.

  • For the last two years, attending the Brown's sponsored draft party has been the thing. Can't wait for this years draft party/tailgate. Prior to that, information overload in front of my TV.

  • I only watched the 2017 draft. On my own, at late night in Spain, with my family wondering what the hell I was doing. I just watched first 2 rounds, though.

    If people want to meet up in the Tavern that day, I'm up for it!

    @nero said:

    If people want to meet up in the Tavern that day, I'm up for it!

    That's what we do... all three days.

    But by Day 3 the crowd has thinned out considerably.

  • I used to watch all weekend.  Then got married so I mostly watch the first day now.  

    A lot of beer with wings and pizza.  Usually bought from a local pizza joint.

  • @nero said:

    If people want to meet up in the Tavern that day, I'm up for it!

    That's what we do... all three days.

    But by Day 3 the crowd has thinned out considerably.

    @tour2ma said:

    That's what we do... all three days.

    But by Day 3 the crowd has thinned out considerably.

    I'd pay money for the transcript from the Johnny Manziel draft pick. 😆

  • @nero said:

    If people want to meet up in the Tavern that day, I'm up for it!

    That's what we do... all three days.

    But by Day 3 the crowd has thinned out considerably.

    @tour2ma said:

    That's what we do... all three days.

    But by Day 3 the crowd has thinned out considerably.

    I don't think I'll stay on Day 3. Thanks for the info!

  • I host a draft party for a bunch of my buddies. Plenty to eat & drink with a couple Priests, Fr Leo to be somewhat pious & Fr Pat to yell the cuss words none of us have the nerve to say in front of the other Priest. Sadly, Fr Pat will not be with us this year..he's teaching in Ireland for the next 5 months.

    I think this year's menu may be simple...Hebrew Natl Hot Dogs with my homemade coney sauce/Bertman's mustard, my buffalo wings, sausage/cheese dip & chips, along with lots of pretzels, Snyders of Berlin BBQ chips (the BEST!), & just "stuff".

    Mike

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I wanted Henry, Watson, Prescott, Foster and Tyler Lockett. We have had enough misses on my best picks to turn my stomach nearly every draft.

    Who really wanted Dak Prescot when he came into the draft?  He was a 4th round pick and I thought he would be right around that pick, never thought he would start as well as he did.  Obviously, when Zeke was out, his stats fell.  I'm not saying this to take a shot at you, but I can't imagine why anyone would want this guy to come to the Browns.

    @dawg2fan said:

    Who really wanted Dak Prescot when he came into the draft?  He was a 4th round pick and I thought he would be right around that pick, never thought he would start as well as he did.  Obviously, when Zeke was out, his stats fell.  I'm not saying this to take a shot at you, but I can't imagine why anyone would want this guy to come to the Browns.

    LOL! Tour and I both wanted him. I followed him all the way through his SEC days and thought he was a great player who would adapt well to the NFL. He would have gone much higher had he not had a DUI charge the week before the draft (later dismissed).

  • @dawg2fan said:

    Who really wanted Dak Prescot when he came into the draft?  He was a 4th round pick and I thought he would be right around that pick, never thought he would start as well as he did.  Obviously, when Zeke was out, his stats fell.  I'm not saying this to take a shot at you, but I can't imagine why anyone would want this guy to come to the Browns.

    LOL! Tour and I both wanted him. I followed him all the way through his SEC days and thought he was a great player who would adapt well to the NFL. He would have gone much higher had he not had a DUI charge the week before the draft (later dismissed).

    @texasag1969 said:

    LOL! Tour and I both wanted him. I followed him all the way through his SEC days and thought he was a great player who would adapt well to the NFL. He would have gone much higher had he not had a DUI charge the week before the draft (later dismissed).

    When it became apparent that the Browns weren't trading up for Goff, or taking Wentz, I figured they would get a developmental guy in the mid-rounds. Prescott was the guy I wanted too, and for a split second I thought they took him, the realized it was Cody Kessler. 😒

    I never thought he'd be a decent starting QB from Day 1. I thought he'd be a good backup who might develop into a starting-caliber guy in a few seasons.

  • I watch the entire draft. All 7 rounds.

    I was flying to Korea for part of the draft last year. I bought that in-flight Wifi and got my shitty stream going. 

    That first night  though, I'll usually watch with friends at one of our places or a bar.

  • I host a draft party for a bunch of my buddies. Plenty to eat & drink with a couple Priests, Fr Leo to be somewhat pious & Fr Pat to yell the cuss words none of us have the nerve to say in front of the other Priest. Sadly, Fr Pat will not be with us this year..he's teaching in Ireland for the next 5 months.

    I think this year's menu may be simple...Hebrew Natl Hot Dogs with my homemade coney sauce/Bertman's mustard, my buffalo wings, sausage/cheese dip & chips, along with lots of pretzels, Snyders of Berlin BBQ chips (the BEST!), & just "stuff".

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    I think this year's menu may be simple...Hebrew Natl Hot Dogs with my homemade coney sauce/Bertman's mustard, my buffalo wings, sausage/cheese dip & chips, along with lots of pretzels, Snyders of Berlin BBQ chips (the BEST!), & just "stuff".

    Mike

    I think you put in a lb of pepper in the last batch - can I bring ours?🙄

  • @canton-mike said:

    I think this year's menu may be simple...Hebrew Natl Hot Dogs with my homemade coney sauce/Bertman's mustard, my buffalo wings, sausage/cheese dip & chips, along with lots of pretzels, Snyders of Berlin BBQ chips (the BEST!), & just "stuff".

    Mike

    I think you put in a lb of pepper in the last batch - can I bring ours?🙄

    @calfoxwc said:

    I think you put in a lb of pepper in the last batch - can I bring ours?🙄

    Not a lb, but I ALWAYS fresh grind the pepper & double the amount called for. I use pepper like Emeril uses garlic.  

    Sure, you can bring yours...I'll just label it, "Sissy Food"!!!   😛

    Mike

  • I host a draft party for a bunch of my buddies. Plenty to eat & drink with a couple Priests, Fr Leo to be somewhat pious & Fr Pat to yell the cuss words none of us have the nerve to say in front of the other Priest. Sadly, Fr Pat will not be with us this year..he's teaching in Ireland for the next 5 months.

    I think this year's menu may be simple...Hebrew Natl Hot Dogs with my homemade coney sauce/Bertman's mustard, my buffalo wings, sausage/cheese dip & chips, along with lots of pretzels, Snyders of Berlin BBQ chips (the BEST!), & just "stuff".

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    ..Hebrew Natl Hot Dogs

    Mike

    Do they make those in Jerusalem now that Trump moved the capital?😆

  • @calfoxwc said:

    I think you put in a lb of pepper in the last batch - can I bring ours?🙄

    Not a lb, but I ALWAYS fresh grind the pepper & double the amount called for. I use pepper like Emeril uses garlic.  

    Sure, you can bring yours...I'll just label it, "Sissy Food"!!!   😛

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Not a lb, but I ALWAYS fresh grind the pepper & double the amount called for. I use pepper like Emeril uses garlic.  

    Sure, you can bring yours...I'll just label it, "Sissy Food"!!!   😛

    Mike

    lol. You're the fraidy-cat who won't try my groundhog stew or squirrel pie.

  • @canton-mike said:

    Not a lb, but I ALWAYS fresh grind the pepper & double the amount called for. I use pepper like Emeril uses garlic.  

    Sure, you can bring yours...I'll just label it, "Sissy Food"!!!   😛

    Mike

    lol. You're the fraidy-cat who won't try my groundhog stew or squirrel pie.

    @calfoxwc said:

    lol. You're the fraidy-cat who won't try my groundhog stew or squirrel pie.

    Well since Mike is a Vietnam Vet, offer him snake soup, duck blood pudding or boiled dog.😆