Skip to content

Anthony Miller - A Potential Gem for Round 2 or 3

The Browns Board
42 18 2.1k
  • @louisville-slugger said:

    Odell Beckham--now have his coach

    Jarvis Landry 

    Emanuel Sanders 

    T.Y. Hilton

    Stephon Diggs

    Brandon Cooks

    Doug Baldwin

    Golden Tate

    Tyreek Hill--Dorsey drafted in 5th round(his highest ever drafted WR in KC was Chris Conley in 3rd) 

    There are plenty of wide receivers that 6 ft or shorter in the league. Size at the wide receiver position is way over rated. 

    see this list..all different size ranges. We have that. What we don't have is their Route Running Ability to get open. Physical Guys that will look a DB square in his eyes & break his ankles with his feet at top speed. Ju Ju Schuster was the guy last season that most scouts tagged as the best Route Runner with Down Field blocking Ability..for once they were right..At remaining bowls & combine that's the guy we need to hear about & should draft 2 of them..     

    @tiamat63 said:

    ....  sub-buzz-20355-1479754896-19.png?downsiz

    now what'ya thinking..LMAO!

    @gumby73 said:

    see this list..all different size ranges. We have that. What we don't have is their Route Running Ability to get open. Physical Guys that will look a DB square in his eyes & break his ankles with his feet at top speed. Ju Ju Schuster was the guy last season that most scouts tagged as the best Route Runner with Down Field blocking Ability..for once they were right..At remaining bowls & combine that's the guy we need to hear about & should draft 2 of them..     

    now what'ya thinking..LMAO!

    I remembered putting Ju Ju as my 12th pick in my mock draft; and that particular idea received a ton of criticism.  At the time of it, I also didn't realize Kessler would regress to being an Ostrich in the pocket so I thought it would be a nice idea to re-establish the chemistry they already enjoyed at USC.

  • 5’11” doesn’t bother me as long as the guy can catch. The NFL is full of less than 6’ receivers who are legitimate stars. If Coleman could stay healthy and catch the ball no one would care about his height. 

    @roycerolls said:

    5’11” doesn’t bother me as long as the guy can catch. The NFL is full of less than 6’ receivers who are legitimate stars. If Coleman could stay healthy and catch the ball no one would care about his height. 

    Think about this for a sec.  How many times of (you) complained about our receivers not catching the ball because of taller CBs either batting the ball down or intercepting it?  I think the Browns, Coooks, and other small receivers are just not the norm.

  • Definitely agree with others as CATCHING being a prime metric. If he's a speedster who can gain tremendous separation his lack of 1 or 2 inches of height is a complete non issue. We have Gordon and Njoku for jump balls and contested throws. 

  • Odell Beckham

    Jarvis Landry 

    Emanuel Sanders 

    T.Y. Hilton

    Stephon Diggs

    Brandon Cooks

    Doug Baldwin

    Golden Tate

    Tyreek Hill

    There are plenty of wide receivers that 6 ft or shorter in the league. Size at the wide receiver position is way over rated. You don't want all small guys but if they can play it doesn't matter

    @louisville-slugger said:

    Odell Beckham

    Jarvis Landry 

    Emanuel Sanders 

    T.Y. Hilton

    Stephon Diggs

    Brandon Cooks

    Doug Baldwin

    Golden Tate

    Tyreek Hill

    There are plenty of wide receivers that 6 ft or shorter in the league. Size at the wide receiver position is way over rated. You don't want all small guys but if they can play it doesn't matter

    Nice job with that Louisville.  The BIGGEST thing influencing my preference of bigger/taller targets (in spite of my intrigue for Anthony Miller) is that MANY of our young/inexperienced/retread QBs have struggled to see all of their targets when going through their progressions.  Outside of RB Duke Johnson, we have had more success with taller targets such as Pryor (most receptions/yardage among non-RB in 2016) and Njoku (most TD receptions among non RBs in 2017) while vision and accuracy of passer has been an ongoing nightmare.  Before that in 2015, Barnidge made the Pro Bowl with an impressive reception volume and TD inventory. If that's not enough, when Josh Gordon plays - isn't it pretty obvious who our opponents respect most?  I haven't really seen many smaller WRs/TEs establishing great chemistry with our QBs very often.  Even Taylor Gabriel only had 1 TD reception in 2 years here.  When Flip took over as OC Gabriel's reception volume and yards per catch shrunk a lot. Then Gabriel went to a better team with more time to pass, an MVP QB with Julio Jones commanding the attention of 2 defenders at all times; and he scores 5 or 6 TDs in the same part time participation.   If he stayed in Cleveland without Shannahan - a TD volume of 6 would have taken him about 6 years to git-r-done.  Did he suddenly wake up as a talented WR one day OR did having an accurate QB and a superstar WR easing the matchups of teammates help considerably?  Think about it....

    I think we're all open to precise route runners that get open immediately (regardless of height) - especially guys that can catch with their hands instead of their bodies and understand if they are on the line of scrimmage or not. That said, we also have to remember where we are parked with our QB position and why we are parked there. My preference at this time is to help our young/inexperienced QBs track their targets.  If I feel like an exception to that rule has exceptional talent - I'm gonna want me some Anthony Miller or someone very similar.

  • Dang, I have never heard of Miller before, Flugs...how did you do that? I just don't think Coleman has the heart for the

    game. Miller would be an awesome pick.

  • As much as I would like bigger framed guys (6'1"+) for our bare cupboard at WR - Memphis' Anthony Miller made me drool like a Gerber Baby Food model both times I saw him.  All I kept saying was who the flock of seagulls is that?  Good Lord!  UCLA is still chasing him as we speak.  He may be very tempting for one of our 2nd round picks...  Then again, this comes from the same hollow dome that thought Breshad Perriman would have been a nice 2nd round pick before he also fooled Ozzie Newsome into blowing a 1st round pick on him.

    The only thing I don't like is he has the same 5'11" 190 lb body frame Edward Scissorhands-Coleman has.  Then again, Antonio Brown has the very same frame and it hasn't exactly killed him.  I'll link up his stats here for yuz:

    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/anthony-miller-6.html

    @flugel said:

    As much as I would like bigger framed guys (6'1"+) for our bare cupboard at WR - Memphis' Anthony Miller made me drool like a Gerber Baby Food model both times I saw him.  All I kept saying was who the flock of seagulls is that?  Good Lord!  UCLA is still chasing him as we speak.  He may be very tempting for one of our 2nd round picks...  Then again, this comes from the same hollow dome that thought Breshad Perriman would have been a nice 2nd round pick before he also fooled Ozzie Newsome into blowing a 1st round pick on him.

    The only thing I don't like is he has the same 5'11" 190 lb body frame Edward Scissorhands-Coleman has.  Then again, Antonio Brown has the very same frame and it hasn't exactly killed him.  I'll link up his stats here for yuz:

    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/anthony-miller-6.html

    Drooling over a Memphis player?  What is it Fluges...miss Tennessee to the point that you are turning into  You Know Who Junior?

    😁😛

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Speaking of size, Calvin Ridley (most likely the #1 WR this upcoming draft) is a bit on the smaller size.

    Listed as 6'1 and looks to be about that.  

    Wouldn't call that "smaller size".

    @tiamat63 said:

    Listed as 6'1 and looks to be about that.  Wouldn't call that "smaller size".

    Yup...

    Plus it's not just physical height... taller (and heavier) actually works against agility and acceleration.

    Slap a pair of arms that are disproportionately long for his height on a 6-footish WR with a 36"+ vertical... and I'm pretty happy.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Listed as 6'1 and looks to be about that.  Wouldn't call that "smaller size".

    Yup...

    Plus it's not just physical height... taller (and heavier) actually works against agility and acceleration.

    Slap a pair of arms that are disproportionately long for his height on a 6-footish WR with a 36"+ vertical... and I'm pretty happy.

    @tour2ma said:

    Yup...

    Plus it's not just physical height... taller (and heavier) actually works against agility and acceleration.

    Slap a pair of arms that are disproportionately long for his height on a 6-footish WR with a 36"+ vertical... and I'm pretty happy.

    Or just convert a long armed 6'5" former basketballer with a 37" vertical into a WR. Then you don't worry about the little fleas buzzing around down below them.😁

  • @tour2ma said:

    Yup...

    Plus it's not just physical height... taller (and heavier) actually works against agility and acceleration.

    Slap a pair of arms that are disproportionately long for his height on a 6-footish WR with a 36"+ vertical... and I'm pretty happy.

    Or just convert a long armed 6'5" former basketballer with a 37" vertical into a WR. Then you don't worry about the little fleas buzzing around down below them.😁

    @texasag1969 said:

    Or just convert a long armed 6'5" former basketballer with a 37" vertical into a WR. Then you don't worry about the little fleas buzzing around down below them.😁

    There are DBs with 37" verticals, too... and they'll be closer to your 6'5 guy than my 6'1 guy... 😛

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Or just convert a long armed 6'5" former basketballer with a 37" vertical into a WR. Then you don't worry about the little fleas buzzing around down below them.😁

    There are DBs with 37" verticals, too... and they'll be closer to your 6'5 guy than my 6'1 guy... 😛

    @tour2ma said:

    There are DBs with 37" verticals, too... and they'll be closer to your 6'5 guy than my 6'1 guy... 😛

    Not if he's Mike Evans.😛

  • I think 6-foot is ideal for a WR. The bigger guys aren't as quick.

  • https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Top-wide-receiver-prospects-for-the-Chicago-Bears-to-consider-in-2018-111918070/2

    I imagined Kirk to be another antonio brown - hope not, unless we draft him. Maybe Miller is more like that.

    Anthony Miller - Freaking 95 catches last season? wow.

    @calfoxwc said:

    https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Top-wide-receiver-prospects-for-the-Chicago-Bears-to-consider-in-2018-111918070/2

    I imagined Kirk to be another antonio brown -

    I'd be happy to disabuse you of that notion.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Top-wide-receiver-prospects-for-the-Chicago-Bears-to-consider-in-2018-111918070/2

    I imagined Kirk to be another antonio brown -

    I'd be happy to disabuse you of that notion.

    @wargograw said:

    I'd be happy to disabuse you of that notion.

    nah. I went and looked - I'm not the only one who thinks it...

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2043708-the-nfl-comparison-for-top-10-wr-recruits-from-class-of-2015

    21. Christian Kirk | WR | Texas A&M | Junior

    Kirk lacks ideal No. 1 wideout size at 5-foot-11 and 200 pounds, but he has moments reminiscent of the similarly sized Odell Beckham Jr. and Antonio Brown. Kirk has blazing speed and explosive cutting ability, which makes him nearly impossible to tackle on the first try in the open field. As a freshman in 2015, he had 80 catches for 1,009 yards with seven receiving touchdowns. Last year, he reeled in 83 passes for 928 yards with nine scores.

  • @tour2ma said:

    There are DBs with 37" verticals, too... and they'll be closer to your 6'5 guy than my 6'1 guy... 😛

    Not if he's Mike Evans.😛

    @texasag1969 said:

    Not if he's Mike Evans.😛

    There are always exceptions... just not that many of them.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Not if he's Mike Evans.😛

    There are always exceptions... just not that many of them.

    @tour2ma said:

    There are always exceptions... just not that many of them.

    And the one who flaked away D G-B. Jesus what a talent and now just an unsigned FA. I wish he would go thru rehab., join with JM @ Hamilton and then go back into the NFL as a package deal.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorial_Green-Beckham

  • Did Kirk suffer from poor QB play this season?

  • Did Kirk suffer from poor QB play this season?

    @dutch-oven said:

    Did Kirk suffer from poor QB play this season?

    The best passing QB broke his leg at the end of the first half in the very first game. He returned late in the season.

  • @wargograw said:

    I'd be happy to disabuse you of that notion.

    nah. I went and looked - I'm not the only one who thinks it...

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2043708-the-nfl-comparison-for-top-10-wr-recruits-from-class-of-2015

    21. Christian Kirk | WR | Texas A&M | Junior

    Kirk lacks ideal No. 1 wideout size at 5-foot-11 and 200 pounds, but he has moments reminiscent of the similarly sized Odell Beckham Jr. and Antonio Brown. Kirk has blazing speed and explosive cutting ability, which makes him nearly impossible to tackle on the first try in the open field. As a freshman in 2015, he had 80 catches for 1,009 yards with seven receiving touchdowns. Last year, he reeled in 83 passes for 928 yards with nine scores.

    @calfoxwc said:

    nah. I went and looked - I'm not the only one who thinks it...

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2043708-the-nfl-comparison-for-top-10-wr-recruits-from-class-of-2015

    21. Christian Kirk | WR | Texas A&M | Junior

    Kirk lacks ideal No. 1 wideout size at 5-foot-11 and 200 pounds, but he has moments reminiscent of the similarly sized Odell Beckham Jr. and Antonio Brown. Kirk has blazing speed and explosive cutting ability, which makes him nearly impossible to tackle on the first try in the open field. As a freshman in 2015, he had 80 catches for 1,009 yards with seven receiving touchdowns. Last year, he reeled in 83 passes for 928 yards with nine scores.

    The stats mean nothing. Kirk got about 12 targets a game. Hard to NOT throw up stats with that kind of usage, and indeed I could argue the stats are low considering. 

    Beckham and Brown both play on the outside. Kirk never has. Christian has made some pretty clutch plays (especially this past year), but he messes up many of the routine ones.

  • ah, you've watched him more than me, then. I guess it's just that he does have "moments", that's all I've seen of him.

  • Did Kirk suffer from poor QB play this season?

    @dutch-oven said:

    Did Kirk suffer from poor QB play this season?

    Maybe we need a QB named Kirk.   After all, coaching the Browns is a difficult as taking  the Kobayashi Maru test.  The no win situation...which the Browns are in.   We need a guy that can, if nothing else....cheat his way to success!