Biggest Draft Miss
-
I was all in on Trent Richardson. I wasn’t on the Board then, but I bought into the hype of the “next AP”. The Brandon Weeden Pick was the gut punch that ruined my night.
Edit: I also thought Sammy Watkins would be a rare talent in the league. He isn’t a bust, but he is nowhere near what I expected him to be.
-
Sam Bradford... I really thought he was the next HOF QB...
AJ Hawk... kind of a disappointment compared to what I thought he would become... move over Ray Lewis...
Another Buckeye, Mike Doss.... total stud at OSU, then what...
-
Since we're mentioning OSU guys, my contribution- "Big Daddy" Dan Wilkinson. Absolutely dominant in college. Turned into Big Dud-dy in the pros...
-
Since the Draft will be a nonstop topic for the next 3+ months, I'd like to know what player in a past draft did you absolutely love, who ended up being a NFL disappointment.
Mine? OT Robert Gallery, Iowa. I loved this guy, probably watched half of his games his last season for the Hawkeyes. He dominated, just mauled guys. The Browns won a season finale vs Cincinnati that knocked us out of the Robert Gallery sweepstakes (I think Lee Suggs ran for like 200 yards?) and I was crushed. Gallery had a decent career, I guess, but wasn't even in the same time zone as Joe Thomas as a LT. (In fact, I think Gallery had to be moved to OG)
I also had a rager for LB Aaron Curry from Vanderbilt, who was a pretty big disappointment.
Since the Draft will be a nonstop topic for the next 3+ months, I'd like to know what player in a past draft did you absolutely love, who ended up being a NFL disappointment.
Mine? OT Robert Gallery, Iowa. I loved this guy, probably watched half of his games his last season for the Hawkeyes. He dominated, just mauled guys. The Browns won a season finale vs Cincinnati that knocked us out of the Robert Gallery sweepstakes (I think Lee Suggs ran for like 200 yards?) and I was crushed. Gallery had a decent career, I guess, but wasn't even in the same time zone as Joe Thomas as a LT. (In fact, I think Gallery had to be moved to OG)
I also had a rager for LB Aaron Curry from Vanderbilt, who was a pretty big disappointment.
You should have made this thread more challenging and stipulate players "other than Browns" because we all know who they are and there were just too many of them.
Touchdown Tommy Vardell, another Brown.
Ryan Leaf.
-
Since the Draft will be a nonstop topic for the next 3+ months, I'd like to know what player in a past draft did you absolutely love, who ended up being a NFL disappointment.
Mine? OT Robert Gallery, Iowa. I loved this guy, probably watched half of his games his last season for the Hawkeyes. He dominated, just mauled guys. The Browns won a season finale vs Cincinnati that knocked us out of the Robert Gallery sweepstakes (I think Lee Suggs ran for like 200 yards?) and I was crushed. Gallery had a decent career, I guess, but wasn't even in the same time zone as Joe Thomas as a LT. (In fact, I think Gallery had to be moved to OG)
I also had a rager for LB Aaron Curry from Vanderbilt, who was a pretty big disappointment.
You should have made this thread more challenging and stipulate players "other than Browns" because we all know who they are and there were just too many of them.
Touchdown Tommy Vardell, another Brown.
Ryan Leaf.
You should have made this thread more challenging and stipulate players "other than Browns" because we all know who they are and there were just too many of them.
Somewhat.
A lot of Browns players taken high I didn't care for the second they were drafted... Gerard Warren, Johnny Manziel, Brandon Weeden, Barkevious Mingo were all guys that I had little to no faith in.
This is a thread about players we all really liked going into the Draft, who turned out to be duds to some level.
-
A few Browns:
1. Don Rogers. Would have been a leader with the Dawgs....to go along with Dixon and Minniefield. Had E-Rock Turner talent. Disappointing of course that he died tragically.
2. Tom Cousineau.....Browns did not draft him...but traded draft picks for his rights. Despite some skills, he just was not tough enough to play MLB in the NFL.
3. Mike Phipps. #3 overall pick who we thought could rival Terry Bradshaw...the #1 pick the same year. Had similar attributes. Strong arm, strong body. But who knew that it would be the guy that acted dumb that was the smart one and the guy that acted smart that would be the dumb one.
Non-Browns: Mostly due to being an Ohio St. fan:
A. Art Schlichter. Who knows if he had any talent really.....his lack of humanity did him in.
B. Jim Stillwagon. Outland Trophy winner, 3 time all american. Thought he would be a Butkus like character...but not quite good enough. He did go to Canada and had a fairly successful career at that level.
C. Andy Katzenmoyer. Belief was that he would be a Chris Spielman, Mike Singletary....tough MLB. And he may have been that....but neck injuries derailed his career. Sort of a Ryan Shazier situation.
-
A few Browns:
1. Don Rogers. Would have been a leader with the Dawgs....to go along with Dixon and Minniefield. Had E-Rock Turner talent. Disappointing of course that he died tragically.
2. Tom Cousineau.....Browns did not draft him...but traded draft picks for his rights. Despite some skills, he just was not tough enough to play MLB in the NFL.
3. Mike Phipps. #3 overall pick who we thought could rival Terry Bradshaw...the #1 pick the same year. Had similar attributes. Strong arm, strong body. But who knew that it would be the guy that acted dumb that was the smart one and the guy that acted smart that would be the dumb one.
Non-Browns: Mostly due to being an Ohio St. fan:
A. Art Schlichter. Who knows if he had any talent really.....his lack of humanity did him in.
B. Jim Stillwagon. Outland Trophy winner, 3 time all american. Thought he would be a Butkus like character...but not quite good enough. He did go to Canada and had a fairly successful career at that level.
C. Andy Katzenmoyer. Belief was that he would be a Chris Spielman, Mike Singletary....tough MLB. And he may have been that....but neck injuries derailed his career. Sort of a Ryan Shazier situation.
3. Mike Phipps.
Wow... you were all over Phipps coming out of Purdue? Brave admission...
-
3. Mike Phipps.
Wow... you were all over Phipps coming out of Purdue? Brave admission...
-
3. Mike Phipps.
Wow... you were all over Phipps coming out of Purdue? Brave admission...
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
