Skip to content

Can Brady win if he has to do it on his own merit?

The Browns Board
182 27 6.3k
  • Zombo said:

    The NFL recognizes the Championships of the AFL (1960-69), AAFC (1946-49) and APFA (1920-21).

    These are Leagues that were considered as good as the NFL,  and were merged into the NFL.

    Packers, Cardinals, Giants, Bears etc all came out of the APFA (Which became the NFL), Browns and and 49ers came out of the AAFC, most of the AFC came out of the AFL. Continuous franchises, same coaches, same players etc.

    Paul Brown, Otto Graham and Marion Motley etc. Happened. They were the best, and they proved it when they merged onto the NFL and won that too. It doesn't matter when your Mom was born, it happened. Just like all the other history (WWII, slavery, hoop skirts) it happened, and counts, whether you recognize it or not.

    The Browns have 8 Championships. The Patriots have 5. They get to count the AFL. The Steelers have 6. They get to count the "leather helmet years" 1933-46 before the Browns existed.

    The Packers have 13, the Bears have 9, and the Giants, like the Browns have 8. The Patriots are tied with the Cowboys, 49ers and Redskins at 5.

    It just a fact. If your friend only counts Super Bowls, or if they laugh at you at your local hangout because you go back before Super Bowls, or you don't trust anything that happned before your Mom was born, then by all means just count Super Bowls.

    But facts are still facts.

    Zombo

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/team

    Pro football focus might recognize it but the NFL doesn't. I already posted the NFL record book straight from the horse's mouth. Cleveland Browns : 4 championships.

    The AAFC doesn't count. It's like they won the XFL or Arena league championship. Great. Good for them. They were even good enough to win the NFL championship in their first NFL year. That's a great accomplishment. But the AAFC does not count outside of the AAFC which has been folded for...68 years now. 

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Pro football focus might recognize it but the NFL doesn't. I already posted the NFL record book straight from the horse's mouth. Cleveland Browns : 4 championships.

    The AAFC doesn't count. It's like they won the XFL or Arena league championship. Great. Good for them. They were even good enough to win the NFL championship in their first NFL year. That's a great accomplishment. But the AAFC does not count outside of the AAFC which has been folded for...68 years now. 

    Pro Football Hall of Fame recognizes AAFC Championships. Does not recognize XFL.

    AAFC and AFL are considered major leagues.

    Z

  • @westside-steve said:

    What does it have to do with anything? Nothing. Root for the fuking Eagles if you want to I don't care.

    WSS

    What I asked was:  why would going to a good restaurant in a city be a cause to root for that cities sports team?  And I will root for the Fuycking Eagles, Dude.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    What I asked was:  why would going to a good restaurant in a city be a cause to root for that cities sports team?  And I will root for the Fuycking Eagles, Dude.

    It's as good a reason as any for rooting for a team that isn't your home team.

    WSS

  • Both of them fine young men but that has no bearing on whether or not I root for the Eagles. I've enjoyed every visit I've ever made to Philadelphia and had a great time at the 2nd Street Brewhouse where I assume they are all Eagles fans. I've also enjoyed my trips to Pittsburgh and know many fine people from there. I've had a good time in Dallas too. None of that has any bearing on who I root for in the Super Bowl.

    I also like the Buffalo Bills just because I spent an evening at Frank & Teresa's Anchor Bar.

    WSS

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @westside-steve said:

    Both of them fine young men but that has no bearing on whether or not I root for the Eagles. I've enjoyed every visit I've ever made to Philadelphia and had a great time at the 2nd Street Brewhouse where I assume they are all Eagles fans. I've also enjoyed my trips to Pittsburgh and know many fine people from there. I've had a good time in Dallas too. None of that has any bearing on who I root for in the Super Bowl.

    I also like the Buffalo Bills just because I spent an evening at Frank & Teresa's Anchor Bar.

    WSS

    That is true. I used to go to Pittsburgh occasionally business or pleasure and visited many bars, pubs and eateries sometimes listening to Pirates games, never a problem. Same in Texas, but never really cared for the state.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Both of them fine young men but that has no bearing on whether or not I root for the Eagles. I've enjoyed every visit I've ever made to Philadelphia and had a great time at the 2nd Street Brewhouse where I assume they are all Eagles fans. I've also enjoyed my trips to Pittsburgh and know many fine people from there. I've had a good time in Dallas too. None of that has any bearing on who I root for in the Super Bowl.

    I also like the Buffalo Bills just because I spent an evening at Frank & Teresa's Anchor Bar.

    WSS

    That is true. I used to go to Pittsburgh occasionally business or pleasure and visited many bars, pubs and eateries sometimes listening to Pirates games, never a problem. Same in Texas, but never really cared for the state.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    That is true. I used to go to Pittsburgh occasionally business or pleasure and visited many bars, pubs and eateries sometimes listening to Pirates games, never a problem. Same in Texas, but never really cared for the state.

    I like Texas okay when I was a young man playing in a band going from town to town. Dallas is pretty cool Austin is cool San Antonio is cool.

    WSS

  • @mjp28 said:

    That is true. I used to go to Pittsburgh occasionally business or pleasure and visited many bars, pubs and eateries sometimes listening to Pirates games, never a problem. Same in Texas, but never really cared for the state.

    I like Texas okay when I was a young man playing in a band going from town to town. Dallas is pretty cool Austin is cool San Antonio is cool.

    WSS

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @westside-steve said:

    I like Texas okay when I was a young man playing in a band going from town to town. Dallas is pretty cool Austin is cool San Antonio is cool.

    WSS

    I was in Houston, Baytown, Dallas, College Station, Bryan, Hearne , among a few other quick stops and mainly 1970s and 1980s may have changed a dit since then. I was with two major companies back then.

  • @mjp28 said:

    That is true. I used to go to Pittsburgh occasionally business or pleasure and visited many bars, pubs and eateries sometimes listening to Pirates games, never a problem. Same in Texas, but never really cared for the state.

    I like Texas okay when I was a young man playing in a band going from town to town. Dallas is pretty cool Austin is cool San Antonio is cool.

    WSS

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @westside-steve said:

    I like Texas okay when I was a young man playing in a band going from town to town. Dallas is pretty cool Austin is cool San Antonio is cool.

    WSS

    You ever play at The Cellar in Ft. Worth? When I was in college I was there once hoping to see a little stripping when out of the night strolls this black guy who looked a bit familiar. He sang a couple of his songs from the 60's for free and strolled back out. Exit James Brown.

    https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-king-of-clubs/

  • Zombo said:

    The NFL recognizes the Championships of the AFL (1960-69), AAFC (1946-49) and APFA (1920-21).

    These are Leagues that were considered as good as the NFL,  and were merged into the NFL.

    Packers, Cardinals, Giants, Bears etc all came out of the APFA (Which became the NFL), Browns and and 49ers came out of the AAFC, most of the AFC came out of the AFL. Continuous franchises, same coaches, same players etc.

    Paul Brown, Otto Graham and Marion Motley etc. Happened. They were the best, and they proved it when they merged onto the NFL and won that too. It doesn't matter when your Mom was born, it happened. Just like all the other history (WWII, slavery, hoop skirts) it happened, and counts, whether you recognize it or not.

    The Browns have 8 Championships. The Patriots have 5. They get to count the AFL. The Steelers have 6. They get to count the "leather helmet years" 1933-46 before the Browns existed.

    The Packers have 13, the Bears have 9, and the Giants, like the Browns have 8. The Patriots are tied with the Cowboys, 49ers and Redskins at 5.

    It just a fact. If your friend only counts Super Bowls, or if they laugh at you at your local hangout because you go back before Super Bowls, or you don't trust anything that happned before your Mom was born, then by all means just count Super Bowls.

    But facts are still facts.

    Zombo

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/team

    Pro football focus might recognize it but the NFL doesn't. I already posted the NFL record book straight from the horse's mouth. Cleveland Browns : 4 championships.

    The AAFC doesn't count. It's like they won the XFL or Arena league championship. Great. Good for them. They were even good enough to win the NFL championship in their first NFL year. That's a great accomplishment. But the AAFC does not count outside of the AAFC which has been folded for...68 years now. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Pro football focus might recognize it but the NFL doesn't. I already posted the NFL record book straight from the horse's mouth. Cleveland Browns : 4 championships.

    The AAFC doesn't count. It's like they won the XFL or Arena league championship. Great. Good for them. They were even good enough to win the NFL championship in their first NFL year. That's a great accomplishment. But the AAFC does not count outside of the AAFC which has been folded for...68 years now. 

    Well....here is what we accept:  thay you are wrong and stupid.   They count everywhere but one place...and you are too ignorant to have bothered to understand why that is. 

    I am not sure that there is much more to be said.

  • @the-gipper said:

    What I asked was:  why would going to a good restaurant in a city be a cause to root for that cities sports team?  And I will root for the Fuycking Eagles, Dude.

    It's as good a reason as any for rooting for a team that isn't your home team.

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @westside-steve said:

    It's as good a reason as any for rooting for a team that isn't your home team.

    WSS

    Well....you can't argue with that I guess.  😆

    So...who are you rooting for in this SB....and which restaurant has caused you to do so? 

  • @westside-steve said:

    It's as good a reason as any for rooting for a team that isn't your home team.

    WSS

    Well....you can't argue with that I guess.  😆

    So...who are you rooting for in this SB....and which restaurant has caused you to do so? 

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Well....you can't argue with that I guess.  😆

    So...who are you rooting for in this SB....and which restaurant has caused you to do so? 

    You know exactly who I'm rooting for in the Super Bowl. The restaurant is Chung Wa's.

    WSS

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well....you can't argue with that I guess.  😆

    So...who are you rooting for in this SB....and which restaurant has caused you to do so? 

    You know exactly who I'm rooting for in the Super Bowl. The restaurant is Chung Wa's.

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @westside-steve said:

    You know exactly who I'm rooting for in the Super Bowl. The restaurant is Chung Wa's.

    WSS

    Chung Wa's in Boston?  

    I was in Boston last summer.....We ate lunch at Cheers....but not the original one.  The one that was in the marketplace there.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

    Cleveland

    WSS

  • Cleveland

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @westside-steve said:

    Cleveland

    WSS

    OK, you have lost us. 

  • @westside-steve said:

    I like Texas okay when I was a young man playing in a band going from town to town. Dallas is pretty cool Austin is cool San Antonio is cool.

    WSS

    You ever play at The Cellar in Ft. Worth? When I was in college I was there once hoping to see a little stripping when out of the night strolls this black guy who looked a bit familiar. He sang a couple of his songs from the 60's for free and strolled back out. Exit James Brown.

    https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-king-of-clubs/

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    You ever play at The Cellar in Ft. Worth? When I was in college I was there once hoping to see a little stripping when out of the night strolls this black guy who looked a bit familiar. He sang a couple of his songs from the 60's for free and strolled back out. Exit James Brown.

    https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-king-of-clubs/

    James Brown how cool was that. Also I love those old bar stories and some you've experienced on your own when you were very young or old enough to reminisce....oh yeah.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    You ever play at The Cellar in Ft. Worth? When I was in college I was there once hoping to see a little stripping when out of the night strolls this black guy who looked a bit familiar. He sang a couple of his songs from the 60's for free and strolled back out. Exit James Brown.

    https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-king-of-clubs/

    James Brown how cool was that. Also I love those old bar stories and some you've experienced on your own when you were very young or old enough to reminisce....oh yeah.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    James Brown how cool was that. Also I love those old bar stories and some you've experienced on your own when you were very young or old enough to reminisce....oh yeah.

    I thought I was seeing things, but the band seemed to recognize him right away and gave him that slow background music so he took the mike and started "Please, please, please". I can't even remember now what the other one he did was, but that one was just great! I was already three sheets to the wind and it's been 50 years, so who knows.😁

  • GhoolieG Ghoolie wrote on last edited by

    As you saw tonight. Brady can't win schidt without the refs. No help  no Brady

  • As you saw tonight. Brady can't win schidt without the refs. No help  no Brady

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @ghoolie said:

    As you saw tonight. Brady can't win schidt without the refs. No help  no Brady

    And once again we see why defense wins. Had NE shown any Brady would have won. And a defensive play wins for the Eagles at the end.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

  • @ghoolie said:

    As you saw tonight. Brady can't win schidt without the refs. No help  no Brady

    And once again we see why defense wins. Had NE shown any Brady would have won. And a defensive play wins for the Eagles at the end.

    GhoolieG Ghoolie wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    And once again we see why defense wins. Had NE shown any Brady would have won. And a defensive play wins for the Eagles at the end.

    Brady held the ball for over 6 seconds. Even Hoorta could have gotten to him. Defense didn't do schidt.

    1100 +yards of total offense = Defense doens't do schidt.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    Tom Brady has the fastest release time in the NFL. https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#yards

    Passing

    Next Gen Stats tracks numerous data points to enhance our understanding of a Quarterback’s style and tendencies. In 2016 we began exposing data points such as Time to Throw to indicate how quickly a passer releases a pass and various measurements of Air Yards and Air Distance to indicate how far a passer throws the ball downfield on completions. In 2017 we have added all passing attempts for air yards/distance, Air Yards to the Sticks, and Aggressiveness, along with traditional stats for users to make correlations.

    For any stat definitions and explanations, see our glossary.

     

    PASSING LEADERS

     
    1. T. Brady
    NE
    2.7
    7.1
    9.4
    -2.3
    17.4
    58
    0.6
    581
    66.3
    4576
    32
    8
    102
  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    What is Next Gen Stats?

    NFL player tracking, also known as Next Gen Stats, is the capture of real time location data, speed and acceleration for every player, every play on every inch of the field. Sensors throughout the stadium track tags placed on players' shoulder pads, charting individual movements within inches.

    Stats

    Passing Stats
    Time To Throw (TT)
    Time to Throw measures the average amount of time elapsed from the time of snap to throw on every pass attempt for a passer (sacks excluded).
    Average Completed Air Yards (CAY) and Average Intended Air Yards (IAY)
    Air Yards is the total yards gained on a pass attempt past the line of scrimmage before the ball is caught. CAY shows the average Air Yards a passer throws on completions, and IAY shows the average Air Yards a passer throws on all attempts. This metric shows how far the ball is being thrown ‘downfield’. Air Yards is recorded as 0 when the pass is thrown to or behind the Line of Scrimmage. Additionally Air Yards is not calculated into the back of the end zone.
    Average Air Yards Differential (AYD)
    Air Yards Differential is calculated by subtracting the passer’s average Intended Air Yards from his average Completed Air Yards. This stat indicates if he is on average attempting deep passes than he on average completes.
    Longest Completed Air Distance (LCAD)
    Air Distance is the amount of yards the ball has traveled on a pass, from the point of release to the point of reception (as the crow flies). Unlike Air Yards, Air Distance measures the actual distance the passer throws the ball.
    Aggressiveness (AGG%)
    Aggressiveness tracks the amount of passing attempts a quarterback makes that are into tight coverage, where there is a defender within 1 yard or less of the receiver at the time of completion or incompletion. AGG is shown as a % of attempts into tight windows over all passing attempts.
    Air Yards to the Sticks (AYTS)
    Air Yards to the Sticks shows the amount of Air Yards ahead or behind the first down marker on all attempts for a passer. The metric indicates if the passer is attempting his passes past the 1st down marker, or if he is relying on his skill position players to make yards after catch.