Skip to content

Cuts and Trades

The Browns Board
34 13 973
  • Wouldn't it be somewhat expensive to move him? Those early round rookie contract tend to be almost all garuntees. 

    I think we are better off keeping him. He has tools size, durability, athleticism, arm strength, and seems like a really good kid. He may never develop but if he does I would hate to have traded him away for nothing

  • Wouldn't it be somewhat expensive to move him? Those early round rookie contract tend to be almost all garuntees. 

    I think we are better off keeping him. He has tools size, durability, athleticism, arm strength, and seems like a really good kid. He may never develop but if he does I would hate to have traded him away for nothing

    @louisville-slugger said:

    Wouldn't it be somewhat expensive to move him? Those early round rookie contract tend to be almost all garuntees. 

    I think we are better off keeping him. He has tools size, durability, athleticism, arm strength, and seems like a really good kid. He may never develop but if he does I would hate to have traded him away for nothing

    @syd said:

    if they trade Shelton it would leave 1.7 million in dead money and they would have to pay 2 million I believe that is correct

    there u go

  • Wouldn't it be somewhat expensive to move him? Those early round rookie contract tend to be almost all garuntees. 

    I think we are better off keeping him. He has tools size, durability, athleticism, arm strength, and seems like a really good kid. He may never develop but if he does I would hate to have traded him away for nothing

    @louisville-slugger said:

    Wouldn't it be somewhat expensive to move him? Those early round rookie contract tend to be almost all garuntees. 

    I think we are better off keeping him. He has tools size, durability, athleticism, arm strength, and seems like a really good kid. He may never develop but if he does I would hate to have traded him away for nothing

    Nah- if you trade someone, the contract goes along with the player to the team making the trade. It's why the Browns essentially got a second round pick from the Texans for taking Osweiler (and his $19? million) contract off their hands....  

    "Dead money" only comes into play if you cut a player. 99% sure Kizer will still be on the roster this year. As a second round pick he's only due a little over $1 million- that's about in the range of 3rd string quarterback money- which is what I expect Deshone to be. 

  • sydS syd

    if they trade Shelton it would leave 1.7 million in dead money and they would have to pay 2 million I believe that is correct

    @syd said:

    if they trade Shelton it would leave 1.7 million in dead money and they would have to pay 2 million I believe that is correct

    I believe that would only happen if the Browns agreed to pay off his contract in a trade- which wouldn't happen, unless the target is the Chiefs, and they use that carrot as a deal sweetener to get Smith. KC gets a year of Danny- for free. The other side of the coin is the primary reason (& thinking) the Chiefs may be willing to trade Alex Smith (I would hope to the Browns) His $20 million salary- and cap hit goes bye-bye along with Alex. KC has to figure out a way to clear the $8 million they're currently over the cap on- and trading Smith is the low hanging fruit and quick solution to solve that problem. They might try to restructure Smith's contract if they think he's a valuable enough part of the team- and they don't think Mahomes is ready to take over yet. 

  • then adding a draft pick would be prudent 

  • sydS syd

    then adding a draft pick would be prudent 

    @syd said:

    then adding a draft pick would be prudent 

    Especially since the Chiefs are minus their first round pick in April, because of trading up to get Mahomes. It's just a question of how high the bidding will get for Smith. KC fans have deluded sugar plums dancing in their heads they can extract a first round pick for Smith. Because a very desperate Vikings team gave the Eagles one for Sam Bradford. I can't see the same level of league wide desperation this year- and the Chiefs will have to unload Smith before June when his contract is guaranteed. 

    If I'm the Browns I start with our top of the third round pick. The pick we got from the Texans in the second round is as high as I'd go, and I might ask for another player KC deems expendable on top of Smith at that price. 

  • @syd said:

    then adding a draft pick would be prudent 

    Especially since the Chiefs are minus their first round pick in April, because of trading up to get Mahomes. It's just a question of how high the bidding will get for Smith. KC fans have deluded sugar plums dancing in their heads they can extract a first round pick for Smith. Because a very desperate Vikings team gave the Eagles one for Sam Bradford. I can't see the same level of league wide desperation this year- and the Chiefs will have to unload Smith before June when his contract is guaranteed. 

    If I'm the Browns I start with our top of the third round pick. The pick we got from the Texans in the second round is as high as I'd go, and I might ask for another player KC deems expendable on top of Smith at that price. 

    @hoorta said:

    If I'm the Browns I start with our top of the third round pick. The pick we got from the Texans in the second round is as high as I'd go, and I might ask for another player KC deems expendable on top of Smith at that price. 

    Yeah, but would you meet the deadline?😉

  • @syd said:

    then adding a draft pick would be prudent 

    Especially since the Chiefs are minus their first round pick in April, because of trading up to get Mahomes. It's just a question of how high the bidding will get for Smith. KC fans have deluded sugar plums dancing in their heads they can extract a first round pick for Smith. Because a very desperate Vikings team gave the Eagles one for Sam Bradford. I can't see the same level of league wide desperation this year- and the Chiefs will have to unload Smith before June when his contract is guaranteed. 

    If I'm the Browns I start with our top of the third round pick. The pick we got from the Texans in the second round is as high as I'd go, and I might ask for another player KC deems expendable on top of Smith at that price. 

    @hoorta said:

    Especially since the Chiefs are minus their first round pick in April, because of trading up to get Mahomes. It's just a question of how high the bidding will get for Smith. KC fans have deluded sugar plums dancing in their heads they can extract a first round pick for Smith. Because a very desperate Vikings team gave the Eagles one for Sam Bradford. I can't see the same level of league wide desperation this year- and the Chiefs will have to unload Smith before June when his contract is guaranteed. 

    If I'm the Browns I start with our top of the third round pick. The pick we got from the Texans in the second round is as high as I'd go, and I might ask for another player KC deems expendable on top of Smith at that price. 

    And we could have Bradford for nothing but the cost of his contract, no?

  • Why would we trade Shelton? That would suck

  • @hoorta said:

    Especially since the Chiefs are minus their first round pick in April, because of trading up to get Mahomes. It's just a question of how high the bidding will get for Smith. KC fans have deluded sugar plums dancing in their heads they can extract a first round pick for Smith. Because a very desperate Vikings team gave the Eagles one for Sam Bradford. I can't see the same level of league wide desperation this year- and the Chiefs will have to unload Smith before June when his contract is guaranteed. 

    If I'm the Browns I start with our top of the third round pick. The pick we got from the Texans in the second round is as high as I'd go, and I might ask for another player KC deems expendable on top of Smith at that price. 

    And we could have Bradford for nothing but the cost of his contract, no?

    @the-gipper said:

    And we could have Bradford for nothing but the cost of his contract, no?

    Could have any of the Minnesota QB's for whatever we can sign them.  They are all free agents.

  • @the-gipper said:

    And we could have Bradford for nothing but the cost of his contract, no?

    Could have any of the Minnesota QB's for whatever we can sign them.  They are all free agents.

    @mark-o said:

    Could have any of the Minnesota QB's for whatever we can sign them.  They are all free agents.

    Do you want any?

  • @mark-o said:

    Could have any of the Minnesota QB's for whatever we can sign them.  They are all free agents.

    Do you want any?

    @the-gipper said:

    Do you want any?

    I'd take a look at Bradford and see what he costs.   Go with Bradford/rookie/Kizer as the QB room next year.

  • @syd said:

    then adding a draft pick would be prudent 

    Especially since the Chiefs are minus their first round pick in April, because of trading up to get Mahomes. It's just a question of how high the bidding will get for Smith. KC fans have deluded sugar plums dancing in their heads they can extract a first round pick for Smith. Because a very desperate Vikings team gave the Eagles one for Sam Bradford. I can't see the same level of league wide desperation this year- and the Chiefs will have to unload Smith before June when his contract is guaranteed. 

    If I'm the Browns I start with our top of the third round pick. The pick we got from the Texans in the second round is as high as I'd go, and I might ask for another player KC deems expendable on top of Smith at that price. 

    @hoorta said:

    Especially since the Chiefs are minus their first round pick in April, because of trading up to get Mahomes. It's just a question of how high the bidding will get for Smith. KC fans have deluded sugar plums dancing in their heads they can extract a first round pick for Smith. Because a very desperate Vikings team gave the Eagles one for Sam Bradford. I can't see the same level of league wide desperation this year- and the Chiefs will have to unload Smith before June when his contract is guaranteed. 

    If I'm the Browns I start with our top of the third round pick. The pick we got from the Texans in the second round is as high as I'd go, and I might ask for another player KC deems expendable on top of Smith at that price. 

    i have no idea what there cap situation is But maybe they could dump some salary on us ala  b. o

  • @syd said:

    then adding a draft pick would be prudent 

    Especially since the Chiefs are minus their first round pick in April, because of trading up to get Mahomes. It's just a question of how high the bidding will get for Smith. KC fans have deluded sugar plums dancing in their heads they can extract a first round pick for Smith. Because a very desperate Vikings team gave the Eagles one for Sam Bradford. I can't see the same level of league wide desperation this year- and the Chiefs will have to unload Smith before June when his contract is guaranteed. 

    If I'm the Browns I start with our top of the third round pick. The pick we got from the Texans in the second round is as high as I'd go, and I might ask for another player KC deems expendable on top of Smith at that price. 

    I could see Shelton being the "package" we trade KC for Alex.

    @hoorta said:

    It's just a question of how high the bidding will get for Smith. KC fans have deluded sugar plums dancing in their heads they can extract a first round pick for Smith. Because a very desperate Vikings team gave the Eagles one for Sam Bradford. I can't see the same level of league wide desperation this year- and the Chiefs will have to unload Smith before June when his contract is guaranteed.

    Agree... the price the Vikes paid for Bradford was dictated by very special circumstances foremost of which was the timing of Bridgewater's injury.

    Now? It's not even the off-season yet and teams know there are 6 QBs hitting FA and a much better than average Draft Class around the corner.

    @mark-o said:

    Go with Bradford/rookie/Kizer as the QB room next year.

    I've seen worse QB rooms, but if you are really determined to bring your rookie along slowly, then you can't bank on Bradford.

    Edit: Of the three Vike FAs I'd go with Keenum as my bridge, but I expect MN will try hard to retain him.

  • sydS syd

    @hoorta said:

    Especially since the Chiefs are minus their first round pick in April, because of trading up to get Mahomes. It's just a question of how high the bidding will get for Smith. KC fans have deluded sugar plums dancing in their heads they can extract a first round pick for Smith. Because a very desperate Vikings team gave the Eagles one for Sam Bradford. I can't see the same level of league wide desperation this year- and the Chiefs will have to unload Smith before June when his contract is guaranteed. 

    If I'm the Browns I start with our top of the third round pick. The pick we got from the Texans in the second round is as high as I'd go, and I might ask for another player KC deems expendable on top of Smith at that price. 

    i have no idea what there cap situation is But maybe they could dump some salary on us ala  b. o

    @syd said:

    i have no idea what there cap situation is But maybe they could dump some salary on us ala  b. o

    🙂 I posted this once in another thread, in regards to what teams might potentially be active in getting Cousins- and his certain to be mega-contract-  in FA, in relation to their cap space. (As to QB needy teams being able to afford Kirk, the Browns are far and away the leader in the clubhouse, followed by the Bills and Broncos.)  The Chiefs somehow have to get rid of $8 million in contracts- and that's before they can even sign any of their draft picks. Also the reason if we traded Sheldon as part of a trade for Alex Smith we'd have to eat a large part- if not all of Danny's $3 million contract. KC needs to dump salary in a big way.  

    https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

  • I could see Shelton being the "package" we trade KC for Alex.

    @hoorta said:

    It's just a question of how high the bidding will get for Smith. KC fans have deluded sugar plums dancing in their heads they can extract a first round pick for Smith. Because a very desperate Vikings team gave the Eagles one for Sam Bradford. I can't see the same level of league wide desperation this year- and the Chiefs will have to unload Smith before June when his contract is guaranteed.

    Agree... the price the Vikes paid for Bradford was dictated by very special circumstances foremost of which was the timing of Bridgewater's injury.

    Now? It's not even the off-season yet and teams know there are 6 QBs hitting FA and a much better than average Draft Class around the corner.

    @mark-o said:

    Go with Bradford/rookie/Kizer as the QB room next year.

    I've seen worse QB rooms, but if you are really determined to bring your rookie along slowly, then you can't bank on Bradford.

    Edit: Of the three Vike FAs I'd go with Keenum as my bridge, but I expect MN will try hard to retain him.

    @tour2ma said:

    1) I could see Shelton being the "package" we trade KC for Alex.

    2) Edit: Of the three Vike FAs I'd go with Keenum as my bridge, but I expect MN will try hard to retain him.

    1) As I just opined Tour- that only happens if we eat the final year of Danny's contract... 

    2) MHO is the Vikes will try and retain Keenum and Teddy- and let Glassman Bradford walk. Sam's an OK QB when he's healthy- which is almost never- a good reason for the Browns to steer clear if we want a reliable bridge QB. (LOL, we could stick Kizer back in to lose more games when Sam gets hurt again) 

    PS- on totally unrelated topics- my wife says I'm good at that- I just noticed Keenum has all of a 1\2" on Mayfield in the height department. My two takeaways from the Senior Bowl that I didn't realize- Mayrock (damn auto correct) played in the NFL, and Andrew Siciliano is a relative midget. He claimed 5'3"- I think he's padding his stats- standing next to 6'4" Mason Rudolph he didn't even come up to the top of Mason's shoulders. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    1) I could see Shelton being the "package" we trade KC for Alex.

    2) Edit: Of the three Vike FAs I'd go with Keenum as my bridge, but I expect MN will try hard to retain him.

    1) As I just opined Tour- that only happens if we eat the final year of Danny's contract... 

    2) MHO is the Vikes will try and retain Keenum and Teddy- and let Glassman Bradford walk. Sam's an OK QB when he's healthy- which is almost never- a good reason for the Browns to steer clear if we want a reliable bridge QB. (LOL, we could stick Kizer back in to lose more games when Sam gets hurt again) 

    PS- on totally unrelated topics- my wife says I'm good at that- I just noticed Keenum has all of a 1\2" on Mayfield in the height department. My two takeaways from the Senior Bowl that I didn't realize- Mayrock (damn auto correct) played in the NFL, and Andrew Siciliano is a relative midget. He claimed 5'3"- I think he's padding his stats- standing next to 6'4" Mason Rudolph he didn't even come up to the top of Mason's shoulders. 

    @hoorta said:

    As I just opined Tour- that only happens if we eat the final year of Danny's contract... 

    Why? That trade would instantly clear $17.5mm in cap space for KC... more than enough to cover their diminished draft.

  • @hoorta said:

    As I just opined Tour- that only happens if we eat the final year of Danny's contract... 

    Why? That trade would instantly clear $17.5mm in cap space for KC... more than enough to cover their diminished draft.

    @tour2ma said:

    Why? That trade would instantly clear $17.5mm in cap space for KC... more than enough to cover their diminished draft.

    OK, I suppose you're right...  

  • I still don't understand why people feel the Browns are going to TRADE for Alex Smith? There is zero percent chance the chiefs are going to keep him on the roster. Yes, they would love to trade him but at $20 MIL in cap hit, there are only a handful of teams that a) need him b.) have the cap space to get him c.) he's 34 years old. IF the browns trade for him, it is going to be a very late round pick or two, topping out in the fifth round. 

    As far as whom gets cut, probably most of the WR room. 

    I think anyone and everyone is available for a trade not named Thomas. 

  • I still don't understand why people feel the Browns are going to TRADE for Alex Smith? There is zero percent chance the chiefs are going to keep him on the roster. Yes, they would love to trade him but at $20 MIL in cap hit, there are only a handful of teams that a) need him b.) have the cap space to get him c.) he's 34 years old. IF the browns trade for him, it is going to be a very late round pick or two, topping out in the fifth round. 

    As far as whom gets cut, probably most of the WR room. 

    I think anyone and everyone is available for a trade not named Thomas. 

    @bigalow80 said:

    I still don't understand why people feel the Browns are going to TRADE for Alex Smith? There is zero percent chance the chiefs are going to keep him on the roster. Yes, they would love to trade him but at $20 MIL in cap hit, there are only a handful of teams that a) need him b.) have the cap space to get him c.) he's 34 years old. IF the browns trade for him, it is going to be a very late round pick or two, topping out in the fifth round. 

    As far as whom gets cut, probably most of the WR room. 

    I think anyone and everyone is available for a trade not named Thomas. 

    What if his name is Joe ?