Skip to content

2018 QB Class

The Browns Board
309 36 10.9k
  • @mark-o said:

    RG III was a low risk/high reward signing that didn't pan out when viewed as just the potential alone of rookie year RGIII being possible again.  If the signing of him prevented getting a Wentz or Goff or whoever, then yeah..it was a big mistake even considering how low risk a signing he was at the time.

    It wasn't the signing of RGIII that bothered me, it was how Hue forced him into the starter position without anything that resembled a competition in training camp. What Hue saw in him to make him so adamant about him starting over McCown was a real head-scratcher. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    It wasn't the signing of RGIII that bothered me, it was how Hue forced him into the starter position without anything that resembled a competition in training camp. What Hue saw in him to make him so adamant about him starting over McCown was a real head-scratcher. 

    True enough.   He wasnt playing horribly in that first game against the Jets (I think or maybe Eagles) before he got hurt.  As I recall, that game was close until Cammy Erving shot the ball over RGIII for a safety and that turned the game.   McCown did play better and then he got hurt as well which forced the Cody Concussler era on us.

  • @mark-o said:

    RG III was a low risk/high reward signing that didn't pan out when viewed as just the potential alone of rookie year RGIII being possible again. If t he signing of him prevented getting a Wentz or Goff or whoever, then yeah..it was a big mistake even considering how low risk a signing he was at the time.

    Mark, your statement just reinforces my feelings that, no matter WHO we may sign, we MUST draft a QB HIGH...#1 high! We cannot afford to let a QB class like this one escape us. Who knows when we'll be in this position again?

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Mark, your statement just reinforces my feelings that, no matter WHO we may sign, we MUST draft a QB HIGH...#1 high! We cannot afford to let a QB class like this one escape us. Who knows when we'll be in this position again?

    Mike

    I sincerely hope it's not as soon as 2019 Mike.  🙄

  • @canton-mike said:

    Mark, your statement just reinforces my feelings that, no matter WHO we may sign, we MUST draft a QB HIGH...#1 high! We cannot afford to let a QB class like this one escape us. Who knows when we'll be in this position again?

    Mike

    I sincerely hope it's not as soon as 2019 Mike.  🙄

    @hoorta said:

    I sincerely hope it's not as soon as 2019 Mike.  🙄

    Larry,

    POSITIVE thoughts ONLY!!!!  😉

    Mike

  • @hoorta said:

    I sincerely hope it's not as soon as 2019 Mike.  🙄

    Larry,

    POSITIVE thoughts ONLY!!!!  😉

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Larry,

    POSITIVE thoughts ONLY!!!!  😉

    Mike

    It was funny though..  🙂

  • @canton-mike said:

    Larry,

    POSITIVE thoughts ONLY!!!!  😉

    Mike

    It was funny though..  🙂

    @mark-o said:

    It was funny though..  🙂

    Yeah, it was & I knew he meant it sarcastically.  😁  We are just overdue for positives & at least we know the picks, etc this year will be well thought out.

    Mike

  • @mark-o said:

    It was funny though..  🙂

    Yeah, it was & I knew he meant it sarcastically.  😁  We are just overdue for positives & at least we know the picks, etc this year will be well thought out.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Yeah, it was & I knew he meant it sarcastically.  😁  We are just overdue for positives & at least we know the picks, etc this year will be well thought out.

    Mike

    I don't know the picks will be....but I certainly hope that this is the year that they are all well thought out. 

  • well, as I've said before - everything that can be said, HAS been said about all this qb draft stuff. The Browns need to start winning now, so it seems that Mayfield has the magic in him to start far faster than the others. It could be Mayfield, and whoever else the second pick would be - I keep thinking it's Minkah - but FA.... suppose they sign Tremaine Johnson, fa, cb? That would shake up the draft a bit.

    @calfoxwc said:

    well, as I've said before - everything that can be said, HAS been said about all this qb draft stuff. The Browns need to start winning now, so it seems that Mayfield has the magic in him to start far faster than the others. It could be Mayfield, and whoever else the second pick would be - I keep thinking it's Minkah - but FA.... suppose they sign Tremaine Johnson, fa, cb? That would shake up the draft a bit.

    Im done beleiving that any NCAA QB is ready to start and win in the NFL as a rookie. Ive seen this movie too many times to not know how it ends.

    You start winning now by landing a FA QB ready to play tomorrow. Take Barkley and youve got QB and RB covered for this season. Next, draft a QB who can hold a clipboard and learn the game to be the franchise.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    well, as I've said before - everything that can be said, HAS been said about all this qb draft stuff. The Browns need to start winning now, so it seems that Mayfield has the magic in him to start far faster than the others. It could be Mayfield, and whoever else the second pick would be - I keep thinking it's Minkah - but FA.... suppose they sign Tremaine Johnson, fa, cb? That would shake up the draft a bit.

    Im done beleiving that any NCAA QB is ready to start and win in the NFL as a rookie. Ive seen this movie too many times to not know how it ends.

    You start winning now by landing a FA QB ready to play tomorrow. Take Barkley and youve got QB and RB covered for this season. Next, draft a QB who can hold a clipboard and learn the game to be the franchise.

    @boo-fagley said:

    Im done beleiving that any NCAA QB is ready to start and win in the NFL as a rookie. Ive seen this movie too many times to not know how it ends.

    You start winning now by landing a FA QB ready to play tomorrow. Take Barkley and youve got QB and RB covered for this season. Next, draft a QB who can hold a clipboard and learn the game to be the franchise.

    The "rookie savior quarterback" rarely works unless he's exceptional and has a fairly complete team around him.

    Grooming is best even for good prospects. 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    well, as I've said before - everything that can be said, HAS been said about all this qb draft stuff. The Browns need to start winning now, so it seems that Mayfield has the magic in him to start far faster than the others. It could be Mayfield, and whoever else the second pick would be - I keep thinking it's Minkah - but FA.... suppose they sign Tremaine Johnson, fa, cb? That would shake up the draft a bit.

    Im done beleiving that any NCAA QB is ready to start and win in the NFL as a rookie. Ive seen this movie too many times to not know how it ends.

    You start winning now by landing a FA QB ready to play tomorrow. Take Barkley and youve got QB and RB covered for this season. Next, draft a QB who can hold a clipboard and learn the game to be the franchise.

    @boo-fagley said:

    Im done beleiving that any NCAA QB is ready to start and win in the NFL as a rookie. Ive seen this movie too many times to not know how it ends.

    You start winning now by landing a FA QB ready to play tomorrow. Take Barkley and youve got QB and RB covered for this season. Next, draft a QB who can hold a clipboard and learn the game to be the franchise.

    LOL! But if you take too good a QB in FA, then you won't have a good QB available by the time you pick next year. You have to go with both the FA QB and the QB pick right now.

  • @boo-fagley said:

    Im done beleiving that any NCAA QB is ready to start and win in the NFL as a rookie. Ive seen this movie too many times to not know how it ends.

    You start winning now by landing a FA QB ready to play tomorrow. Take Barkley and youve got QB and RB covered for this season. Next, draft a QB who can hold a clipboard and learn the game to be the franchise.

    LOL! But if you take too good a QB in FA, then you won't have a good QB available by the time you pick next year. You have to go with both the FA QB and the QB pick right now.

    @texasag1969 said:

    LOL! But if you take too good a QB in FA, then you won't have a good QB available by the time you pick next year. You have to go with both the FA QB and the QB pick right now.

    You can pick up a FA QB and still draft who you want as a future QB.

    ......edit add, nice to have reserve players if you have no salary restrictions. 

  • @boo-fagley said:

    Im done beleiving that any NCAA QB is ready to start and win in the NFL as a rookie. Ive seen this movie too many times to not know how it ends.

    You start winning now by landing a FA QB ready to play tomorrow. Take Barkley and youve got QB and RB covered for this season. Next, draft a QB who can hold a clipboard and learn the game to be the franchise.

    LOL! But if you take too good a QB in FA, then you won't have a good QB available by the time you pick next year. You have to go with both the FA QB and the QB pick right now.

    @texasag1969 said:

    LOL! But if you take too good a QB in FA, then you won't have a good QB available by the time you pick next year. You have to go with both the FA QB and the QB pick right now.

    Cousins knows that he would be the short term answer and he buys time for the rookie to learn. If the FA goes down then youre forced to play the rookie, but all efforts should be made to avoid doing so. Kizer was not ready, Sanchez, Tribisky and so many more. Pining your hopes on a rookie QB is a recipe for disappointment. Deshaun Watson lit it up, but some folks said there were flaws in his game. 

  • This is definitely the NFL silly season, but it's also the "Jiggins is scared as crap" season. While I don't believe hardly anything I read, I can't help to be absolutely terrified we'll screw this draft up. Just read that Dorsey is actively shopping one of our 1st rounders, and I can't help but think "here we go again". Yes I just said I don't believe anything I read, but history tells me we're going to trade down and I'm already ticked off. 

    What I want to hear is that we're going to take a a QB first. That we're going to do our homework and select our future QB no matter what. What terrifies me the most is trading out of #1, regardless of the haul we receive, and then waiting to get our QB at #4. If we wait until pick 4, that means we could lose out on selecting our primary candidate. That would make HOW MANY years in a row we didn't take our favorite QB prospect? Not just that, but if we miss out on another QB and we have to watch him appear to be great, I think our fans would spontaneously blow up. I want us to take our favorite freaking guy, and cut the cute crap. Is it really THAT hard? 

    I could be open to trading #4 if we grab our QB at 1, but I'm pretty sure I'm tired of it. I think I just want to take the best available player, who will likely be Fitzpatrick. He's probably going to be there, he fills a huge need, and I like the college pedigree. First round drafting just seems so easy, and we always make it hard. I liked Garrett and Njoku, but not Peppers. What a surprise he had a bad year. Again, not difficult. 

    It might be the silly season, but for us Browns fans, it's more like the fear season. 

  • I don't have a clear "draft this guy or we are making a horrible mistake" QB this year like I did with, say, Carson Wentz in 2016.

    My offseason Browns fantasy is signing a ready-made 4k yards per year QB named Cousins and using our draft picks to make us immediately relevant in the AFC North.

    I know there's a good chance that it doesn't happen, and we are "bridging" ala the Bears last year with McCarron or one of the Vikes QBs and a Top 4 QB, so I will go ahead and give my 2 cents on these guys so it is on record. FWIW, my top QB prospect last year was Deshone Kizer, so take it with a grain of something ... I don't pretend to know nearly anything about football prospects compared to NFL scouts, but I do know more than your Mom and Ghoolie.

    And my "draft this guy or we are making a horrible mistake" player this year is a running back, Saquon Barkley. But here is my thoughts on the QBs:

    1 Sam Darnold. I'm not afraid to admit I flip flop on Rosen and this guy. Darnold seems like gritty rust bowl QB we have been waiting for, and I might just go all in on as the draft nears ... we'll see. No gun to my in February, right? A little thicker frame than Rosen, more of a "fits in" personality, and has nice accuracy both short and long. I kinda feel like college defensive coaches were figuring him out last year, though. Long throwing process tips off when the throw is coming. Just didn't reach "greatness" last year when it was expected. But Hue Jackson, Todd Haley and Ken Zampese would LOVE to get their hands on this guy's game, you know it.

    2. Josh Rosen. I've had my eye on him for the Browns since he came out of high school, and now it is lined up to happen. Prototypical NFL size, can sling it all over the field, but when it comes to leadership, I started to get a "Bo Callahan" feeling about him as his UCLA career progressed. Really looks good in a pocket though.

    ***There is a big dividing line for me here ... I think those two are elite prospects. The ones below could go either way, and not worth a Top 4 pick IMO:

    3. Baker Mayfield. Has all the toughness you want, a real leader and sees the field well, someone will look past his size and draft him in the first round to be their QB of the future. The Manziel comparisons are unfortunate, they are wired differently, but the track record for 6 foot QBs, spread QBs, Big 12 QBs ... None of it good. But if anyone is going to break the mold and become the next Drew Brees it is this guy.

    4. Mason Rudolf. Big, strong OSU passers automatically get "Weedened" by scouts, but this guy deserve a real look by somebody. He's one of these guys that improves all the time, so if someone wants to invest some real time in him they might discover a bona fide pocket passer.

    5. Josh Allen. The "Big Tease". Protypical NFL pocket passer size and arm. We've all fallen in love with "this guy" before and sometimes it is boom, and sometimes it is bust. It's definitely a gamble when you dig into his stats at Wyoming. I'm gonna say he's worth a "project" late first rounder for a contending team ready to groom for the future, but he is not ready for the AFC North trial by fire he would get in Cleveland.

    Zombo

  • So if we hire Kirk Cousins does DeShone Kizer become the backup and we spend number 1 and number 4 on other positions?

    Does picking a quarterback at number one send a message to Cousins that he's not the main guy?

    Replace the name Kirk Cousins with the name AJ McCarron and those two questions change?

    WSS

  • So if we hire Kirk Cousins does DeShone Kizer become the backup and we spend number 1 and number 4 on other positions?

    Does picking a quarterback at number one send a message to Cousins that he's not the main guy?

    Replace the name Kirk Cousins with the name AJ McCarron and those two questions change?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    So if we hire Kirk Cousins does DeShone Kizer become the backup and we spend number 1 and number 4 on other positions?

    Does picking a quarterback at number one send a message to Cousins that he's not the main guy?

    Replace the name Kirk Cousins with the name AJ McCarron and those two questions change?

    WSS

    If we sign Cousins then I think you are correct.  Kizer is the backup and 1 and 4 go to other positions or  even trade down out of #1 to someone who wants a QB.   I think the money he will cost makes you need to pick other players to help the team and not a QB that early.   Maybe take someone in round 3 or so and see if he develops.

    AJ McCarron.....I still think a QB is drafted and you have McCarron, #1 draft pick, and Kizer and let them fight it out....let  the best man win.

  • So if we hire Kirk Cousins does DeShone Kizer become the backup and we spend number 1 and number 4 on other positions?

    Does picking a quarterback at number one send a message to Cousins that he's not the main guy?

    Replace the name Kirk Cousins with the name AJ McCarron and those two questions change?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    So if we hire Kirk Cousins does DeShone Kizer become the backup and we spend number 1 and number 4 on other positions?

    YES

    Does picking a quarterback at number one send a message to Cousins that he's not the main guy?

    Just doesn't make sense if we are going to spend $150M on a 29 year old to spend #1 on a QB when we have needs all over the field

    Replace the name Kirk Cousins with the name AJ McCarron and those two questions change?

    YES

    WSS

  • So if we hire Kirk Cousins does DeShone Kizer become the backup and we spend number 1 and number 4 on other positions?

    Does picking a quarterback at number one send a message to Cousins that he's not the main guy?

    Replace the name Kirk Cousins with the name AJ McCarron and those two questions change?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    So if we hire Kirk Cousins does DeShone Kizer become the backup and we spend number 1 and number 4 on other positions?

    Does picking a quarterback at number one send a message to Cousins that he's not the main guy?

    Replace the name Kirk Cousins with the name AJ McCarron and those two questions change?

    WSS

    Since the FA period is before the draft.....Cousins will likely be signed long before we pick any QB, so there would be no message to send.  

    IMO Cousins will ONLY go to a team where he can be the "main guy".   And to a team that he would forecast is a QB away from success.  He...or his agent...or any pundit...would not see the Browns as that sort of team.  Denver, Buffalo would be more likely candidates....

    though....a guy on ESPN this morning said "book it, Cousins will sign with the Jets". 

    And I DO think there is a big difference between Cousins and McCarron.   Cousins has been an NFL starting QB for 4 years....McCarron for like 4 games.   He does not have the same gravitas......ergo cannot make the same demands...either salary wise or  "guarantee to play" wise.

    So...yes, things definitely change.  IF (and it is highly doubtful)  the Browns were to sign Cousins....that IS a signal that they would go elsewhere with both of their first round picks.   But IF they sign McCarron....no such signal would be raised.  They would still be expected to go QB at #1.

  • So if we hire Kirk Cousins does DeShone Kizer become the backup and we spend number 1 and number 4 on other positions?

    Does picking a quarterback at number one send a message to Cousins that he's not the main guy?

    Replace the name Kirk Cousins with the name AJ McCarron and those two questions change?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    So if we hire Kirk Cousins does DeShone Kizer become the backup and we spend number 1 and number 4 on other positions?

    Does picking a quarterback at number one send a message to Cousins that he's not the main guy?

    Replace the name Kirk Cousins with the name AJ McCarron and those two questions change?

    WSS

    Yes. If we're bringing in a FA QB, I'd far prefer McCarron. The financial risk is way less. I've said a bunch of times my Redskins contacts say Cousins is overrated, and is going to get massively overpaid.

    We'll see how free agency shakes out, but as of today put AJ #1 on the Browns list with a bullet. At least Sashi did one thing right , McCarron only costs us $$$$ now, not draft picks.

    EDIT:  For kicks and giggles, I dug up AJ's draft profile & college stats. He was decent at Alabama- a consistent 60%+ passer. Good size at 6'3". Rated as a second round prospect- the Bengals got a steal in the fifth. Him being a FA now goes to reinforce if you have any doubts- Mike Brown is the biggest tightwad in the NFL. They're still the only cold weather team that doesn't have a dedicated indoor practice facility. 

     https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/aj-mccarron-1.html

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/aj-mccarron?id=2543497

    Might have beaten the Steelers in that playoff game if not for Bonehead Burfect.  

    PS I posted it in another thread, but it bears repeating here...    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-aj-mccarron-landing-spots-browns-get-a-second-chance-at-quarterback/

  • After seeing Haslam and Hue with McCarron after the Bengals game, my money's on them going with McCarron as the "veteran QB presence".  QB room will be McCarron, Darnold and Kizer.  I think Mayfield will be the best QB out of this draft but the Browns will be too scared of the Johnny comparisons to pull the trigger.  The only way I see the Browns drafting Mayfield is if they trade away their #1 pick and draft Mayfield after Darnold and Rosen get picked at #1 and #2.

    The next question is, who's the starter?  I liked Kizer last draft season and thought the Browns drafted him appropriately in the second round, since he was seen as a project QB and not an immediate starter. I honestly thought Hue Jackson's "just trust me" Kessler would be the starter last season but the Browns decided against that.  The whole "project QB" thing went out the window with Hue putting him in and forcing him to abandon the run in the second half of games, a recipe for disaster for any rookie QB.  I'm very curious to see if Kizer shows any improvement this coming season after having an entire off season to  get it through his head that he doesn't always have to be the hero, just play it safe.  He's already proved to be a hard worker and has nowhere to go but up.  Kizer has also shown he's tough enough to play in the AFC north, he's taken quite a beating but managed to stay in games.  Not all the losses were on him, either.  He did well enough to keep games close even with the costly turnovers, and defense not being able to get stops/special teams doing special things ruined some of Kizer's best games.  I'd rather see Kizer start over McCarron, I think Kizer has the higher ceiling and has the greater chance to become a franchise QB, not ready to give up on him just yet.   Who knows?  Working with Haley might just give Kizer the environment he needs to succeed.

  • Bold prediction sure to go wrong...The browns will sign McCarron, trade back from #1 to #5 with DEN and then trade back up to #3 with Indy for...Josh Allen. It pains me to think this way, but something tells me he is their target. With either veteran qb, he can sit and wait for a few years before he needs to be ready. It would be a battle for the back-up slot, as I feel Kizer is going to improve from last year. 

    If they sign cousins, the for sale sign goes up on #1, no doubt about it.