Skip to content

2018 QB Class

The Browns Board
309 36 10.9k
  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    I still think Allen has the highest upside - but it won't be his first year that he's ready to roll. It's just that kind of qb year.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73

    @westside-steve said:

    https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/2/21/17035842/mel-kiper-mock-draft-josh-allen-browns

    Cal will like this mock draft.

    WSS

    If our receivers can't get the handle on catching a 50 mph dart from Kizer? Hell, they may not even see the 60 mph dart of Allen coming till it gets past them 🥷

    @calfoxwc said:

    giphy.gif

  • @westside-steve said:

    https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/2/21/17035842/mel-kiper-mock-draft-josh-allen-browns

    Cal will like this mock draft.

    WSS

    If our receivers can't get the handle on catching a 50 mph dart from Kizer? Hell, they may not even see the 60 mph dart of Allen coming till it gets past them 🥷

    @calfoxwc said:

    giphy.gif

    PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by

    @gumby73 said:

    If our receivers can't get the handle on catching 50 mph dart from Kizer? Hell, they may not even see the 60 mph dart of Allen coming till it gets past them 🥷

    I don't think it's the speed of the pass... It's more of the placement. Rather, it's the erratic placement of his passes. You don't know when he's going to throw it OR where he's going to throw it. 

  • @gumby73 said:

    If our receivers can't get the handle on catching 50 mph dart from Kizer? Hell, they may not even see the 60 mph dart of Allen coming till it gets past them 🥷

    I don't think it's the speed of the pass... It's more of the placement. Rather, it's the erratic placement of his passes. You don't know when he's going to throw it OR where he's going to throw it. 

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73

    @poeticg said:

    I don't think it's the speed of the pass... It's more of the placement. Rather, it's the erratic placement of his passes. You don't know when he's going to throw it OR where he's going to throw it. 

    have ya seen Allen 😛..i may need video's of Barkley passing😉..or I may be looking at Lollypop Luke Falk to underhand them the dang ball.. placement? if it's within your wing-span catch the dam thing 

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    A(K)l(i)l(z)e(e)n(r). will make a perfect transition to a 2-14 team once we add defenders to a healthy defense.😛

    You guys are a hoot.🙄

  • I still think Allen has the highest upside - but it won't be his first year that he's ready to roll. It's just that kind of qb year.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @calfoxwc said:

    I still think Allen has the highest upside - but it won't be his first year that he's ready to roll. It's just that kind of qb year.

    And the highest hill to climb to reach that upside. Possibly Sisyphusian.

    sisyphus-yellow-500x445.jpg

  • @calfoxwc said:

    I still think Allen has the highest upside - but it won't be his first year that he's ready to roll. It's just that kind of qb year.

    And the highest hill to climb to reach that upside. Possibly Sisyphusian.

    sisyphus-yellow-500x445.jpg

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    And the highest hill to climb to reach that upside. Possibly Sisyphusian.

    Every season feels more Promethean to me. Hannibal Lecter approves of this message as long a fava beans go with the main course.😛

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    Whaddaya say we make a run for THIS super brilliant QB? 

    The earth is not flat. Most sane people know that. But thanks to Kyrie Irving, those five words have had to appear in “sports” articles over the past year.

    Seriously, it’s been more than a year now since Irving first rolled out his flat earth theory. And yet still, athletes are following his lead. The latest, apparently, is NFL quarterback Geno Smith:

  • A(K)l(i)l(z)e(e)n(r). will make a perfect transition to a 2-14 team once we add defenders to a healthy defense.😛

    You guys are a hoot.🙄

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    @texasag1969 said:

    A(K)l(i)l(z)e(e)n(r). will make a perfect transition to a 2-14 team once we add defenders to a healthy defense.😛

    You guys are a hoot.🙄

    Very good aggie, a lot of work to make your point. 

    I have a good idea (I'm sure of it) the BROWNS can put the top 5 or 6 QB names plus Barkley plus a defensive guy on a wheel of fortune type wheel, wait now......

    "And with the first selection in the 2018 NFL Draft the Cleveland Browns select"........spin wheel..... eh? Catchy? Maybe a yearly thing?

    To me most QBs  in this class are about the same anyway. 😆

  • LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by

    Bortles getting an extension from the Jags makes for one less suitor for Cousins.

  • Bortles getting an extension from the Jags makes for one less suitor for Cousins.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @logicisforsquares said:

    Bortles getting an extension from the Jags makes for one less suitor for Cousins.

    I could see them drafting someone like Mike White somewhere in round 2 or upper round 3 where he's not immediately threatening to Bortles but they're damn glad they just-in-cased his asssss.  When it comes to a position as important as QB the 70s lyrics that say "it's sad to belong to someone else when the right one comes along" can ring very true IMO.

    As for the love-fest for Cousins - let someone else Pump-kin.  He's way overpriced.

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    Bortles getting an extension from the Jags makes for one less suitor for Cousins.

    I could see them drafting someone like Mike White somewhere in round 2 or upper round 3 where he's not immediately threatening to Bortles but they're damn glad they just-in-cased his asssss.  When it comes to a position as important as QB the 70s lyrics that say "it's sad to belong to someone else when the right one comes along" can ring very true IMO.

    As for the love-fest for Cousins - let someone else Pump-kin.  He's way overpriced.

    LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by LogicIsForSquares

    @flugel said:

    I could see them drafting someone like Mike White somewhere in round 2 or upper round 3 where he's not immediately threatening to Bortles but they're damn glad they just-in-cased his asssss.  When it comes to a position as important as QB the 70s lyrics that say "it's sad to belong to someone else when the right one comes along" can ring very true IMO.

    As for the love-fest for Cousins - let someone else Pump-kin.  He's way overpriced.

    I am definitely not in on the love fest but it does limit the likely suspects. I am for Darnold and a vet.

  • S SD_Tom wrote on last edited by SD_Tom

    Any mock draft that doesn't have Rosen in the top 10 is insane to me when virtually every scouting report has him rated as most nfl ready and best technical skills.   

    The less throwing motion /footwork changes needed,  the better.  It's like a golfer changing his swing after years and years.  Maybe they can,  maybe they can't.  I'd rather have the guy who just needs to learn the plays and work  on the NFL game 

    Allen may have most upside,  but so does/did Kizer. They're very physically similar. Chances are he'll struggle if he's expected to be a day 1 starter. 

  • Any mock draft that doesn't have Rosen in the top 10 is insane to me when virtually every scouting report has him rated as most nfl ready and best technical skills.   

    The less throwing motion /footwork changes needed,  the better.  It's like a golfer changing his swing after years and years.  Maybe they can,  maybe they can't.  I'd rather have the guy who just needs to learn the plays and work  on the NFL game 

    Allen may have most upside,  but so does/did Kizer. They're very physically similar. Chances are he'll struggle if he's expected to be a day 1 starter. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel

    @sd_tom said:

    Any mock draft that doesn't have Rosen in the top 10 is insane to me when virtually every scouting report has him rated as most nfl ready and best technical skills.   

    The less throwing motion /footwork changes needed,  the better.  It's like a golfer changing his swing after years and years.  Maybe they can,  maybe they can't.  I'd rather have the guy who just needs to learn the plays and work  on the NFL game 

    Allen may have most upside,  but so does/did Kizer. They're very physically similar. Chances are he'll struggle if he's expected to be a day 1 starter. 

    They also said all that "most Pro Ready QB in the draft" stuff about Brady Quinn in 2007 before he slid all the way to #22 overall.   Let's just say we've learned not to trust the "most NFL ready" tags.  Brady Quinn and Josh Rosen both had former NFL Coaches as their College Head Coaches but that doesn't necessarily make them NFL ready.  Didn't Rosen's Head Coach just get fired for going 4-8 in 2016 and 6-7 in 2017?

    I only watched the first half of the video you showed.  He did look technically sound. That said, he overthrew a couple wide open guys downfield that good NFL QBs would consider give-me's. And right near half time the commentator said "this offensive line has been giving Rosen all day to throw." It's a lot easier to keep good mechanics when you have all day to throw without 320 lb DTs in intimate space of QB preventing the ability to step into the throws. 

    I see that SD part of your screen name and get the sense Rosen is a local kid you're pulling hard for.  I still don't see all the hype about this kid just yet.  His numbers aren't special and his greatness hasn't carried that team to victories like a Dan Fouts used to have to do all the time in spite of a bad SD Chargers defense.  That may sound unfair on my part but nothing about playing QB in Cleveland is fair at all. If he can't escalate the play of his current team why will Cleveland be easier for him? 

    My faves (Darnold and Mayfield) have concerns as well Tom - but I've seen both guys win consistently (sometimes requiring them to overcome adversity/mistakes).    

  • @sd_tom said:

    Any mock draft that doesn't have Rosen in the top 10 is insane to me when virtually every scouting report has him rated as most nfl ready and best technical skills.   

    The less throwing motion /footwork changes needed,  the better.  It's like a golfer changing his swing after years and years.  Maybe they can,  maybe they can't.  I'd rather have the guy who just needs to learn the plays and work  on the NFL game 

    Allen may have most upside,  but so does/did Kizer. They're very physically similar. Chances are he'll struggle if he's expected to be a day 1 starter. 

    They also said all that "most Pro Ready QB in the draft" stuff about Brady Quinn in 2007 before he slid all the way to #22 overall.   Let's just say we've learned not to trust the "most NFL ready" tags.  Brady Quinn and Josh Rosen both had former NFL Coaches as their College Head Coaches but that doesn't necessarily make them NFL ready.  Didn't Rosen's Head Coach just get fired for going 4-8 in 2016 and 6-7 in 2017?

    I only watched the first half of the video you showed.  He did look technically sound. That said, he overthrew a couple wide open guys downfield that good NFL QBs would consider give-me's. And right near half time the commentator said "this offensive line has been giving Rosen all day to throw." It's a lot easier to keep good mechanics when you have all day to throw without 320 lb DTs in intimate space of QB preventing the ability to step into the throws. 

    I see that SD part of your screen name and get the sense Rosen is a local kid you're pulling hard for.  I still don't see all the hype about this kid just yet.  His numbers aren't special and his greatness hasn't carried that team to victories like a Dan Fouts used to have to do all the time in spite of a bad SD Chargers defense.  That may sound unfair on my part but nothing about playing QB in Cleveland is fair at all. If he can't escalate the play of his current team why will Cleveland be easier for him? 

    My faves (Darnold and Mayfield) have concerns as well Tom - but I've seen both guys win consistently (sometimes requiring them to overcome adversity/mistakes).    

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    My faves (Darnold and Mayfield) have concerns as well Tom - but I've seen both guys win consistently (sometimes requiring them to overcome adversity/mistakes).    

    Without a doubt, all the top QBs have concerns. I'm starting to slowly understand what mjp has been harping on concerning this QB class. 😆

    That being said, how do you think Darnold or Mayfield would have done with UCLA? Or what would Rosen had done with USC or Oklahoma?

    Because the talent level at Oklahoma and USC was light years ahead of UCLA. I'm pretty sure UCLA's defense is still giving up points... 

  • @sd_tom said:

    Any mock draft that doesn't have Rosen in the top 10 is insane to me when virtually every scouting report has him rated as most nfl ready and best technical skills.   

    The less throwing motion /footwork changes needed,  the better.  It's like a golfer changing his swing after years and years.  Maybe they can,  maybe they can't.  I'd rather have the guy who just needs to learn the plays and work  on the NFL game 

    Allen may have most upside,  but so does/did Kizer. They're very physically similar. Chances are he'll struggle if he's expected to be a day 1 starter. 

    They also said all that "most Pro Ready QB in the draft" stuff about Brady Quinn in 2007 before he slid all the way to #22 overall.   Let's just say we've learned not to trust the "most NFL ready" tags.  Brady Quinn and Josh Rosen both had former NFL Coaches as their College Head Coaches but that doesn't necessarily make them NFL ready.  Didn't Rosen's Head Coach just get fired for going 4-8 in 2016 and 6-7 in 2017?

    I only watched the first half of the video you showed.  He did look technically sound. That said, he overthrew a couple wide open guys downfield that good NFL QBs would consider give-me's. And right near half time the commentator said "this offensive line has been giving Rosen all day to throw." It's a lot easier to keep good mechanics when you have all day to throw without 320 lb DTs in intimate space of QB preventing the ability to step into the throws. 

    I see that SD part of your screen name and get the sense Rosen is a local kid you're pulling hard for.  I still don't see all the hype about this kid just yet.  His numbers aren't special and his greatness hasn't carried that team to victories like a Dan Fouts used to have to do all the time in spite of a bad SD Chargers defense.  That may sound unfair on my part but nothing about playing QB in Cleveland is fair at all. If he can't escalate the play of his current team why will Cleveland be easier for him? 

    My faves (Darnold and Mayfield) have concerns as well Tom - but I've seen both guys win consistently (sometimes requiring them to overcome adversity/mistakes).    

    S SD_Tom wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    They also said all that "most Pro Ready QB in the draft" stuff about Brady Quinn in 2007 before he slid all the way to #22 overall.   Let's just say we've learned not to trust the "most NFL ready" tags.  Brady Quinn and Josh Rosen both had former NFL Coaches as their College Head Coaches but that doesn't necessarily make them NFL ready.  Didn't Rosen's Head Coach just get fired for going 4-8 in 2016 and 6-7 in 2017?

    I only watched the first half of the video you showed.  He did look technically sound. That said, he overthrew a couple wide open guys downfield that good NFL QBs would consider give-me's. And right near half time the commentator said "this offensive line has been giving Rosen all day to throw." It's a lot easier to keep good mechanics when you have all day to throw without 320 lb DTs in intimate space of QB preventing the ability to step into the throws. 

    I see that SD part of your screen name and get the sense Rosen is a local kid you're pulling hard for.  I still don't see all the hype about this kid just yet.  His numbers aren't special and his greatness hasn't carried that team to victories like a Dan Fouts used to have to do all the time in spite of a bad SD Chargers defense.  That may sound unfair on my part but nothing about playing QB in Cleveland is fair at all. If he can't escalate the play of his current team why will Cleveland be easier for him? 

    My faves (Darnold and Mayfield) have concerns as well Tom - but I've seen both guys win consistently (sometimes requiring them to overcome adversity/mistakes).    

    I don't think Rosen's that hyped up quite frankly. I think Allen and Darnold have far more hype from most analysts and fans. Mayfield is discussed far more than Rosen is. 

    Flugel- In context- his debut film was in reference to the Allen fans saying that Rosen sucks, but I don't think Allen's ever had as good of a game as Rosen did in his very first start out of HS.  Now, of course all QB's miss some throws, but to go 80% completion for 3 TD's and 351 yds as an 18 yr old in your college debut against an ACC team (he's not playing against Rice or Mercer or something) with all the pressure of being a big time recruit, I don't know what else anyone could expect from a kid 6-8 months out of high school. it was an A+ performance, and you guys are a tough crowd! 

    He did have way better talent around him then as opposed to 2017 (Paul Perkins at RB, Myles Jack at LB)... but if you look at his numbers, they are consistent throughout his career. Can anyone honestly say that Rosen on a powerhouse team like USC or Ohio State or OK wouldn't have won almost every single game or had better numbers? I lived in LA for 13 years, and yeah, I'm not a USC fan, but I'm not a UCLA diehard fan either. I can acknowledge that USC is always good. Their QB's always win and always have good numbers because their teams are loaded, but how do they look in the NFL? Not great.  You can't say that Rosen was the main reason their record sucked. Maybe in 2016 since he missed more than half the season with his shoulder injury... but his numbers are fine for completion % and TD to INT ratios. 

    I'm not saying he's 100% the best QB I've ever seen, or that nobody from this class is going to be great. I think several will be very good, but I just like the way he looks when throwing. I've seen enough throws completed in stride and on the money to think he'll be good as a pro. He just looks like an NFL passer. 

    When they played head to head, Kirk Herbstriet (who liked Darnold better before the season started) said Rosen is clearly more advanced and Darnold needs another year at USC to develop. (

    ) Yes, Rosen had some throws where you just wonder "WTF were you possibly thinking?" But I think a lot of that is simply pressing too hard to be the hero. He's taken some huge hits, but he just looks crisp when he's throwing it. 

    I know Mora is obviously biased, but keep in mind he heaviliy recruited Darnold too. It doesn't change his reasoning about the differences in their games and why he loves both of them.  He also discusses Baker Mayfield as well, and it's a pretty good watch. 

  • @flugel said:

    My faves (Darnold and Mayfield) have concerns as well Tom - but I've seen both guys win consistently (sometimes requiring them to overcome adversity/mistakes).    

    Without a doubt, all the top QBs have concerns. I'm starting to slowly understand what mjp has been harping on concerning this QB class. 😆

    That being said, how do you think Darnold or Mayfield would have done with UCLA? Or what would Rosen had done with USC or Oklahoma?

    Because the talent level at Oklahoma and USC was light years ahead of UCLA. I'm pretty sure UCLA's defense is still giving up points... 

    S SD_Tom wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Without a doubt, all the top QBs have concerns. I'm starting to slowly understand what mjp has been harping on concerning this QB class. 😆

    That being said, how do you think Darnold or Mayfield would have done with UCLA? Or what would Rosen had done with USC or Oklahoma?

    Because the talent level at Oklahoma and USC was light years ahead of UCLA. I'm pretty sure UCLA's defense is still giving up points... 

    Exactly my reasoning. I'm not saying Rosen is a 100% lock at #1, but to think he's not  a top 10 pick when half of the league desperately needs a QB is just insanity. 

    And yes, their defense might still be giving up points. They were horrible. Looking back at that 2015 film of UCLA, I'm reminded of how completely badass Myles Jack was. Guy was a steal for JAX

  • S SD_Tom wrote on last edited by

    image.png.d6d3f1b6be335ab59f6976e562701922.png

  • Any mock draft that doesn't have Rosen in the top 10 is insane to me when virtually every scouting report has him rated as most nfl ready and best technical skills.   

    The less throwing motion /footwork changes needed,  the better.  It's like a golfer changing his swing after years and years.  Maybe they can,  maybe they can't.  I'd rather have the guy who just needs to learn the plays and work  on the NFL game 

    Allen may have most upside,  but so does/did Kizer. They're very physically similar. Chances are he'll struggle if he's expected to be a day 1 starter. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    @sd_tom said:

    The less throwing motion /footwork changes needed,  the better.  It's like a golfer changing his swing after years and years.  Maybe they can,  maybe they can't.  I'd rather have the guy who just needs to learn the plays and work  on the NFL game 

    ...hard to argue that logic.  At the onset I said I wanted the guy with the best mechanics.