2018 QB Class
-
Watson had all the intangibles, mayfield doesn't. Watson is bigger, faster, more athletic, and his character is top notch. Mayfield is short, has character issues on and off the field, and played in an all offense conference where almost nobody has success in the NFL.
I like Mayfield too, I love his fire, the walk on winning a Heisman, the competitiveness, the completion % and all that, but not a good comparison to Watson.
We'll see how it plays out once our FO interviews their top 3
Yeah, he's not a great comparison in those aspects, but the comparison I was trying to make was that Watson got picked apart even though he was generally the best player on the field, and Mayfield appears to be getting the same treatment, even though HE was generally the best QB in the world. But you're right, they are very different prospects.
Yeah, he's not a great comparison in those aspects, but the comparison I was trying to make was that Watson got picked apart even though he was generally the best player on the field, and Mayfield appears to be getting the same treatment, even though HE was generally the best QB in the world. But you're right, they are very different prospects.
YAHTZEE! Watson got absolutely shredded in here last year. After a really good combine - someone pulled out his RPMs and throwing velocity leading many to conclude it to be the tell-all sign he'd suck. Watson also got written off to being on a GREAT team even though a guy like Alabama's Jonathan Allen said he's easily the best player they faced. Of course, that conclusion could only be drawn 1 week after Watson led Clemson to a 42-0 victory over Ohio State.
In Houston, Tom Savage might have had the best RPMs and throwing velocity on their depth chart. That said, the only time they were the highest scoring offense in the AFC was the duration Watson started. That was also the period they won their highest concentration of games.
Do you know what overcomes a not so wonderful RPM and throwing velocity? Throwing the ball on time via good pre-snap intellect/reads, vision, pocket presence and accuracy. Do you know what renders excellent RPMs and throwing velocity useless? Not having good pre-snap intellect, vision, and pocket presence which leads to not getting the ball to the targets on time. More routes get jumped for that in the NFL than arm strength. Brandon Weeden showed us this as many times as we needed to see it.
-
I'm looking forward to seeing Rosen throw at the combines. There's no hurry in coming to a final opinion on the guy.
I'm being honest when I say I've seen a guy that was hyped up as the #1 QB coming out of high school. I've seen the ideal mechanics I've read about; but I've also seen him miss/overthrow some wide open targets that the great ones in the NFL complete routinely. I pointed this out in the first half of the video SD-Tom shared. 2 different guys broke open with no defenders between them and the end zone and he missed them both. When I'm hearing best QB in the country - that's where I expect to see that.
I've had season tickets to Vandy games. I remembered Jay Cutler becoming the SEC Player of the Year and all people asked was - what if he just had a defense? Well, in the NFL - it was pretty much the same story as early as Denver. A lot of big stats with no victories. He'll get you all those 340 yards and over passing days way easier than he'll get you victories on those days. What's missing? Teammates AGAIN? Really?
-
Yeah, he's not a great comparison in those aspects, but the comparison I was trying to make was that Watson got picked apart even though he was generally the best player on the field, and Mayfield appears to be getting the same treatment, even though HE was generally the best QB in the world. But you're right, they are very different prospects.
YAHTZEE! Watson got absolutely shredded in here last year. After a really good combine - someone pulled out his RPMs and throwing velocity leading many to conclude it to be the tell-all sign he'd suck. Watson also got written off to being on a GREAT team even though a guy like Alabama's Jonathan Allen said he's easily the best player they faced. Of course, that conclusion could only be drawn 1 week after Watson led Clemson to a 42-0 victory over Ohio State.
In Houston, Tom Savage might have had the best RPMs and throwing velocity on their depth chart. That said, the only time they were the highest scoring offense in the AFC was the duration Watson started. That was also the period they won their highest concentration of games.
Do you know what overcomes a not so wonderful RPM and throwing velocity? Throwing the ball on time via good pre-snap intellect/reads, vision, pocket presence and accuracy. Do you know what renders excellent RPMs and throwing velocity useless? Not having good pre-snap intellect, vision, and pocket presence which leads to not getting the ball to the targets on time. More routes get jumped for that in the NFL than arm strength. Brandon Weeden showed us this as many times as we needed to see it.
YAHTZEE! Watson got absolutely shredded in here last year. After a really good combine - someone pulled out his RPMs and throwing velocity leading many to conclude it to be the tell-all sign he'd suck. Watson also got written off to being on a GREAT team even though a guy like Alabama's Jonathan Allen said he's easily the best player they faced. Of course, that conclusion could only be drawn 1 week after Watson led Clemson to a 42-0 victory over Ohio State.
In Houston, Tom Savage might have had the best RPMs and throwing velocity on their depth chart. That said, the only time they were the highest scoring offense in the AFC was the duration Watson started. That was also the period they won their highest concentration of games.
Do you know what overcomes a not so wonderful RPM and throwing velocity? Throwing the ball on time via good pre-snap intellect/reads, vision, pocket presence and accuracy. Do you know what renders excellent RPMs and throwing velocity useless? Not having good pre-snap intellect, vision, and pocket presence which leads to not getting the ball to the targets on time. More routes get jumped for that in the NFL than arm strength. Brandon Weeden showed us this as many times as we needed to see it.
Yep, couldn't agree more. I'm listening to the 2/23/18 Browns Daily show, and they have a guy named Dan Shonka as their guest who I absolutely love. He spends hours of breaking down QB's, and his "firm" has Baker Mayfield WAY above anybody else. You know what he said about arm strength? "You might as well throw that out of the window because that is the LEAST important aspect of a QB." He doesn't like Josh Allen (neither do I), and he doesn't really like Sam Darnold either (neither do I. He's so raw to me). With Darnold, Shonka says he doesn't understand why everyone seems to be giving him a pass on the turnovers. Basically, if you can't protect the ball in college, why is that going to change in the pros? He forced it into triple coverage, he held the ball low and fumbled it WAY too much, and after his team is down in the 4th quarter BECAUSE of his turnovers, Sam Darnold somehow gets credit for bringing his team back. Darnold has poor mechanics, and he's only been playing QB for a couple of years. I believe he was a linebacker until his senior year of high school, but I didn't verify that info.
Shonka goes onto say that Mayfield has the best accuracy, his teammates absolutely love him, and while he's uber competitive, he sees nothing wrong with his character. Mayfield isn't just accurate, he puts the ball where his receivers can catch and RUN WITH IT. According to him, Baker has "all the arm strength you need", and he reminds him so much of Drew Brees that "it isn't even funny".
It might just be the end of February, but right now...it's Baker Mayfield, and it's not even close. Shonka also likes Rosen, but says the concussion history scares the crap out of him, which I know many fans on this board have also relayed. If you haven't listened to the interview, it's on the 2/23/18 Browns Daily show, and it starts on the second hour of the show. Great info.
-
Watson had all the intangibles, mayfield doesn't. Watson is bigger, faster, more athletic, and his character is top notch. Mayfield is short, has character issues on and off the field, and played in an all offense conference where almost nobody has success in the NFL.
I like Mayfield too, I love his fire, the walk on winning a Heisman, the competitiveness, the completion % and all that, but not a good comparison to Watson.
We'll see how it plays out once our FO interviews their top 3
Yeah, he's not a great comparison in those aspects, but the comparison I was trying to make was that Watson got picked apart even though he was generally the best player on the field, and Mayfield appears to be getting the same treatment, even though HE was generally the best QB in the world. But you're right, they are very different prospects.
Yeah, he's not a great comparison in those aspects, but the comparison I was trying to make was that Watson got picked apart even though he was generally the best player on the field, and Mayfield appears to be getting the same treatment, even though HE was generally the best QB in the world. But you're right, they are very different prospects.
Watson was actually my favorite qb of the draft last year. People complained about his ints and his weak arm.
We'll see if mayfield can adapt to the NFL as well.
-
Big 12 QB (name one that has come out of those wide open Big12 offenses who has amounted to anything) throwing to wide open receivers who also happens to be short.
Big 12 QB (name one that has come out of those wide open Big12 offenses who has amounted to anything) throwing to wide open receivers who also happens to be short.
Mayfield also is capable of putting the ball where only his receivers can catch it when they're covered. As to being "wide open", did you enjoy seeing Kizer throw it ten feet over his wrs heads or in the dirt in similar situations?
-
Big 12 QB (name one that has come out of those wide open Big12 offenses who has amounted to anything) throwing to wide open receivers who also happens to be short.
Mayfield also is capable of putting the ball where only his receivers can catch it when they're covered. As to being "wide open", did you enjoy seeing Kizer throw it ten feet over his wrs heads or in the dirt in similar situations?
Mayfield also is capable of putting the ball where only his receivers can catch it when they're covered. As to being "wide open", did you enjoy seeing Kizer throw it ten feet over his wrs heads or in the dirt in similar situations?
Well, Kizer is terrible so he shouldn’t be in the discussion at all at this point.
I did not see a QB throwing his guys open. Until one of these Big 12 QBs shows to be worth a sh-it in the pros, I don’t want the Browns to be the team using top 4 picks on lottery tickets.
-
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-sam-darnold-won-t-154931188.html
Report: Sam Darnold won’t throw in Indy
The top quarterback prospects in this year’s draft class will be looking for ways to differentiate themselves from one another over the next couple of months and Sam Darnold has reportedly found a way to do it in Indianapolis this week.
Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Darnold will not take part in throwing drills during the Scouting Combine. He is expected to throw at USC’s Pro Day workout on March 21 instead.
Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield and Mason Rudolph are all expected to do the throwing drills in Indy. Lamar Jackson has not announced what he plans to do at this point.
There have been plenty of quarterbacks in the past who have passed on throwing at the combine in favor of working in familiar conditions and with familiar receivers at their schools. That trend has reversed in recent years, but it seems Darnold will not be part of that wave.
-
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-sam-darnold-won-t-154931188.html
Report: Sam Darnold won’t throw in Indy
The top quarterback prospects in this year’s draft class will be looking for ways to differentiate themselves from one another over the next couple of months and Sam Darnold has reportedly found a way to do it in Indianapolis this week.
Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Darnold will not take part in throwing drills during the Scouting Combine. He is expected to throw at USC’s Pro Day workout on March 21 instead.
Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield and Mason Rudolph are all expected to do the throwing drills in Indy. Lamar Jackson has not announced what he plans to do at this point.
There have been plenty of quarterbacks in the past who have passed on throwing at the combine in favor of working in familiar conditions and with familiar receivers at their schools. That trend has reversed in recent years, but it seems Darnold will not be part of that wave.
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-sam-darnold-won-t-154931188.html
Report: Sam Darnold won’t throw in Indy
The top quarterback prospects in this year’s draft class will be looking for ways to differentiate themselves from one another over the next couple of months and Sam Darnold has reportedly found a way to do it in Indianapolis this week.
Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Darnold will not take part in throwing drills during the Scouting Combine. He is expected to throw at USC’s Pro Day workout on March 21 instead.
Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield and Mason Rudolph are all expected to do the throwing drills in Indy. Lamar Jackson has not announced what he plans to do at this point.
There have been plenty of quarterbacks in the past who have passed on throwing at the combine in favor of working in familiar conditions and with familiar receivers at their schools. That trend has reversed in recent years, but it seems Darnold will not be part of that wave.
The combine and pro days are kind of a joke for QBs. If the game footage hasn't shown enough, seeing them throw to uncovered WRs while wearing shorts and a tshirt shouldn't tip the scale one way or the other.
-
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-sam-darnold-won-t-154931188.html
Report: Sam Darnold won’t throw in Indy
The top quarterback prospects in this year’s draft class will be looking for ways to differentiate themselves from one another over the next couple of months and Sam Darnold has reportedly found a way to do it in Indianapolis this week.
Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Darnold will not take part in throwing drills during the Scouting Combine. He is expected to throw at USC’s Pro Day workout on March 21 instead.
Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield and Mason Rudolph are all expected to do the throwing drills in Indy. Lamar Jackson has not announced what he plans to do at this point.
There have been plenty of quarterbacks in the past who have passed on throwing at the combine in favor of working in familiar conditions and with familiar receivers at their schools. That trend has reversed in recent years, but it seems Darnold will not be part of that wave.
The combine and pro days are kind of a joke for QBs. If the game footage hasn't shown enough, seeing them throw to uncovered WRs while wearing shorts and a tshirt shouldn't tip the scale one way or the other.
The combine and pro days are kind of a joke for QBs. If the game footage hasn't shown enough, seeing them throw to uncovered WRs while wearing shorts and a tshirt shouldn't tip the scale one way or the other.
Certainly hurt Bridgewater
-
Rosen denies he ever said anything about not wanting to go to the Browns.
-
The combine and pro days are kind of a joke for QBs. If the game footage hasn't shown enough, seeing them throw to uncovered WRs while wearing shorts and a tshirt shouldn't tip the scale one way or the other.
Certainly hurt Bridgewater
-
That is the thing. It can only hurt but really the game footage should be the most important component. No one should be helped by the undies olympics.
I think they're also assessing how fast they pick things up, and how they handle the pressure. Also get a better idea how the ball looks coming out of their hands
-
That is the thing. It can only hurt but really the game footage should be the most important component. No one should be helped by the undies olympics.
I think they're also assessing how fast they pick things up, and how they handle the pressure. Also get a better idea how the ball looks coming out of their hands
I think they're also assessing how fast they pick things up, and how they handle the pressure. Also get a better idea how the ball looks coming out of their hands
The interview and board work I get. But as far as throwing it, everyone should have a good idea of what they are looking at well before the combine or pro days. I would never pick a guy on what he did the day he threw against Casper the Friendly Ghost if the game footage told a totally different story.
-
Rosen denies he ever said anything about not wanting to go to the Browns.
Rosen denies he ever said anything about not wanting to go to the Browns.
I knew this was coming.
He gives well thought out answers to questions, and when snippets are taken out of context, it completely changes his message.
-
Rosen denies he ever said anything about not wanting to go to the Browns.
I knew this was coming.
He gives well thought out answers to questions, and when snippets are taken out of context, it completely changes his message.
I knew this was coming.
He gives well thought out answers to questions, and when snippets are taken out of context, it completely changes his message.
What he said was he'd rather go later in the draft to a good organization than higher in the draft to a bad one.
He's absolutely right.
-
I'm looking forward to seeing Rosen throw at the combines. There's no hurry in coming to a final opinion on the guy.
I'm being honest when I say I've seen a guy that was hyped up as the #1 QB coming out of high school. I've seen the ideal mechanics I've read about; but I've also seen him miss/overthrow some wide open targets that the great ones in the NFL complete routinely. I pointed this out in the first half of the video SD-Tom shared. 2 different guys broke open with no defenders between them and the end zone and he missed them both. When I'm hearing best QB in the country - that's where I expect to see that.
I've had season tickets to Vandy games. I remembered Jay Cutler becoming the SEC Player of the Year and all people asked was - what if he just had a defense? Well, in the NFL - it was pretty much the same story as early as Denver. A lot of big stats with no victories. He'll get you all those 340 yards and over passing days way easier than he'll get you victories on those days. What's missing? Teammates AGAIN? Really?
I'm looking forward to seeing Rosen throw at the combines. There's no hurry in coming to a final opinion on the guy.
I'm being honest when I say I've seen a guy that was hyped up as the #1 QB coming out of high school. I've seen the ideal mechanics I've read about; but I've also seen him miss/overthrow some wide open targets that the great ones in the NFL complete routinely. I pointed this out in the first half of the video SD-Tom shared. 2 different guys broke open with no defenders between them and the end zone and he missed them both. When I'm hearing best QB in the country - that's where I expect to see that.
I've had season tickets to Vandy games. I remembered Jay Cutler becoming the SEC Player of the Year and all people asked was - what if he just had a defense? Well, in the NFL - it was pretty much the same story as early as Denver. A lot of big stats with no victories. He'll get you all those 340 yards and over passing days way easier than he'll get you victories on those days. What's missing? Teammates AGAIN? Really?
Is Rosen throwing? I know Darnold isn't.
-
-
I'm looking forward to seeing Rosen throw at the combines. There's no hurry in coming to a final opinion on the guy.
I'm being honest when I say I've seen a guy that was hyped up as the #1 QB coming out of high school. I've seen the ideal mechanics I've read about; but I've also seen him miss/overthrow some wide open targets that the great ones in the NFL complete routinely. I pointed this out in the first half of the video SD-Tom shared. 2 different guys broke open with no defenders between them and the end zone and he missed them both. When I'm hearing best QB in the country - that's where I expect to see that.
I've had season tickets to Vandy games. I remembered Jay Cutler becoming the SEC Player of the Year and all people asked was - what if he just had a defense? Well, in the NFL - it was pretty much the same story as early as Denver. A lot of big stats with no victories. He'll get you all those 340 yards and over passing days way easier than he'll get you victories on those days. What's missing? Teammates AGAIN? Really?
Is Rosen throwing? I know Darnold isn't.
Is Rosen throwing? I know Darnold isn't.
Darnold I think is the only one who has said he hasn't as of now.
-
-
I knew this was coming.
He gives well thought out answers to questions, and when snippets are taken out of context, it completely changes his message.
What he said was he'd rather go later in the draft to a good organization than higher in the draft to a bad one.
He's absolutely right.
What he said was he'd rather go later in the draft to a good organization than higher in the draft to a bad one.
He's absolutely right.
From the article I posted somewhere on here :
But like all of Rosen’s answers, it came as part of a nuanced response to a question about where he’d prefer to go.
In it, the quarterback said he knows he has a unique personality and that it might not be the right fit for every team. If that means he goes later, then so be it, but he’s more concerned with going to the right place than the earliest place possible. Rosen also said that NFL teams would have a better idea than he would if his disposition works well for their organization.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login