Skip to content

2018 QB Class

The Browns Board
309 36 10.9k
  • Angling for Arians QB Camp? haha

  • lol... it'd be an improvement.

    I wonder if someone will inherit that franchise?

  • lol... it'd be an improvement.

    I wonder if someone will inherit that franchise?

    @tour2ma said:

    lol... it'd be an improvement.

    I wonder if someone will inherit that franchise?

    I had read something about Peyton Manning possibly getting a similar show next season but it was speculation.

  • @tour2ma said:

    lol... it'd be an improvement.

    I wonder if someone will inherit that franchise?

    I had read something about Peyton Manning possibly getting a similar show next season but it was speculation.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    I had read something about Peyton Manning possibly getting a similar show next season but it was speculation.

    Jay Cutler, actually.

    He'd be the anti-Gruden. It would be a half hour of snide remarks, resting bitch face stares into the camera, and eye rolls.

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    I had read something about Peyton Manning possibly getting a similar show next season but it was speculation.

    Jay Cutler, actually.

    He'd be the anti-Gruden. It would be a half hour of snide remarks, resting bitch face stares into the camera, and eye rolls.

    @dutch-oven said:

    Jay Cutler, actually.

    He'd be the anti-Gruden. It would be a half hour of snide remarks, resting bitch face stares into the camera, and eye rolls.

    “So what if you threw an interception? They can get over it.”

  • @boo-fagley said:

    I noticed that you were  puzzled of my numbers. Take half the money out of your piggy bank and give it to me. I have 50% and you have 50%. See how that works??

    Hilarious, you are arguing over 6 more completions per 100 attempts. Thats 24 more completions @ 400 attempts divide by 16 games = 1.5 additional completions per game to reach 62%. Brady completes so many short 5 yard passes its  impossible for him to not be in the 66% range which is 2 completions out 3 attempts and the winning formula. Brady, Rogers, Ryan, Brees even Alex Smith are all 66% passers. Allen needs 10 more completions per 100 to reach the 66% plateau. 2.5 completions per 16 games with better coaching, better OL, better WRs, better RBs.

    Allen needs coaching up. Brady needed coaching up. Its foolish to believe that these QBs come from winning college programs and start winning in the NFL the same way. Brady is constantly working on his throwing motion and footwork. 

    Apparently The Rock eye-roll is too subtle for you. Then, the ball going over the punter’s head went even further over your head.

    I wasn’t puzzled at all; I was being sarcastic. My one year old son knows one percent is one out of a hundred.

    You were overstating the obvious like you had some Billy Bean keen eye for stats. Meanwhile, every one else knows that 6% difference in completion percentage is like a quarter-second in the 40.

    It’s foolish to think a guy that can’t complete 60% of his passes against Mountain West competition will complete 66% in the NFL.

    1E229E2E-4454-43E4-A176-0011F2CE7982.gif

    @broganreynik said:

    Apparently The Rock eye-roll is too subtle for you. Then, the ball going over the punter’s head went even further over your head.

    I wasn’t puzzled at all; I was being sarcastic. My one year old son knows one percent is one out of a hundred.

    You were overstating the obvious like you had some Billy Bean keen eye for stats. Meanwhile, every one else knows that 6% difference in completion percentage is like a quarter-second in the 40.

    It’s foolish to think a guy that can’t complete 60% of his passes against Mountain West competition will complete 66% in the NFL.

    1E229E2E-4454-43E4-A176-0011F2CE7982.gif

    You were confused, but glad to see your 1 yo son understands percentages. He didnt get his brains from his Pa thats for sure.

    I will side with those who evaluate NFL talent before the Rain Man of the Browns forum. Thanks anyway.

  • @broganreynik said:

    Apparently The Rock eye-roll is too subtle for you. Then, the ball going over the punter’s head went even further over your head.

    I wasn’t puzzled at all; I was being sarcastic. My one year old son knows one percent is one out of a hundred.

    You were overstating the obvious like you had some Billy Bean keen eye for stats. Meanwhile, every one else knows that 6% difference in completion percentage is like a quarter-second in the 40.

    It’s foolish to think a guy that can’t complete 60% of his passes against Mountain West competition will complete 66% in the NFL.

    1E229E2E-4454-43E4-A176-0011F2CE7982.gif

    You were confused, but glad to see your 1 yo son understands percentages. He didnt get his brains from his Pa thats for sure.

    I will side with those who evaluate NFL talent before the Rain Man of the Browns forum. Thanks anyway.

    @boo-fagley said:

    You were confused, but glad to see your 1 yo son understands percentages. He didnt get his brains from his Pa thats for sure.

    I will side with those who evaluate NFL talent before the Rain Man of the Browns forum. Thanks anyway.

    sarcasm

     
    [sahr-kaz-uh m]

    noun

    1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.

    2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark

    Once again, your puerile simplicity can’t decipher facetious if it bit you in the tuckus.

    Sidenote: not cool with the Rain Man remark. My sister is mentally disabled, and it’s cretins like you that can’t handle their own mental inferiority, so you attempt derision. Thing is, she knows she’s smarter than you. She has a legit reason, whereas you are willfully ignorant.

  • Bruce Arians believes college QB crop may be “best in the last 15 or 20 years”

    Posted by Curtis Crabtree on February 1, 2018, 1:03 AM EST
    617642580-e1503438105583.jpg?w=560&h=316
    Getty Images

    Bruce Arians may not be coaching the Arizona Cardinals anymore, but that doesn’t mean he’s not still invested in the game he coached for 42 years.

    In an interview with Josh Weinfuss of ESPN.com at the Waste Management Open on Wednesday, Arians spoke glowingly about the group of college quarterbacks eligible to be drafted in April.

    “Oh, I think it’s outstanding,” Arians said. “Maybe the best in 15 or 20 years. The number of quality guys with height, stature, arms, statistics… I really wish I had the chance to meet each and every one and do all the evaluations but I think right now you could be sitting at 14 and get a quarterback. People are going to start trading up and everything but there’s enough quality guys to go around for everybody.

    Arians’ former team needs a quarterback following the retirement of Carson Palmer after the season. They will certainly be one of the teams pouring time into evaluations of all of the quarterbacks available in the class.

    Arians said there’s a lot of quarterbacks that have made an impression on him from this year’s crop.

    “Talent-wise, I mean, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, (Josh) Allen,” he said. “Baker (Mayfield) has that charisma. I love Lamar Jackson. I think he’s got an unbelievable skill set. Mason Rudolph beat my (Virginia Tech) Hokies with that deep ball and he may have the best deep ball of all of them. You could go on and on.”

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/01/bruce-arians-believes-college-qb-crop-may-be-best-in-the-last-15-or-20-years/

    @tour2ma said:

    Bruce Arians believes college QB crop may be “best in the last 15 or 20 years”

    Posted by Curtis Crabtree on February 1, 2018, 1:03 AM EST
    617642580-e1503438105583.jpg?w=560&h=316
    Getty Images

    Bruce Arians may not be coaching the Arizona Cardinals anymore, but that doesn’t mean he’s not still invested in the game he coached for 42 years.

    In an interview with Josh Weinfuss of ESPN.com at the Waste Management Open on Wednesday, Arians spoke glowingly about the group of college quarterbacks eligible to be drafted in April.

    “Oh, I think it’s outstanding,” Arians said. “Maybe the best in 15 or 20 years. The number of quality guys with height, stature, arms, statistics… I really wish I had the chance to meet each and every one and do all the evaluations but I think right now you could be sitting at 14 and get a quarterback. People are going to start trading up and everything but there’s enough quality guys to go around for everybody.

    Arians’ former team needs a quarterback following the retirement of Carson Palmer after the season. They will certainly be one of the teams pouring time into evaluations of all of the quarterbacks available in the class.

    Arians said there’s a lot of quarterbacks that have made an impression on him from this year’s crop.

    “Talent-wise, I mean, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, (Josh) Allen,” he said. “Baker (Mayfield) has that charisma. I love Lamar Jackson. I think he’s got an unbelievable skill set. Mason Rudolph beat my (Virginia Tech) Hokies with that deep ball and he may have the best deep ball of all of them. You could go on and on.”

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/01/bruce-arians-believes-college-qb-crop-may-be-best-in-the-last-15-or-20-years/

    Tour....what the heck is wrong with me? Scratch that, we don't have time to go into that, and I don't need my therapist responding on this thread. But I don't have this class as anything THAT special? Am I the only one? Sure I love Rosen's ability, and I believe Darnold has some crazy tools, although super raw, but this doesn't feel any different from the past few years. I have Josh Allen as a 2nd to 3rd round pick, and only 3 qb's ranked for the first round (Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield). Am I forgetting someone? I absolutely love Lamar Jackson, but I consider him to be more of a project than the others, thus giving him a 2nd round grade (although I think someone falls in love with him and trades back into 1st round). There's a CHANCE I will move Mason Rudolph into the 1st round, but to be fair, I haven't evaluated him yet, and I'm slow to warm to big, slow white guys from Oklahoma State (ahem, Weeden). 

    I fully respect Bruce Arians, and I was one of fans who was ticked when we didn't hire him in past years. I think he knows qb's, so maybe I'm just way wrong for thinking this qb class is just more of the same. I was slow to come around on Darnold because of his rawness and penchant for turning over the rock, but now I believe his skill set is simply too vast to ignore. Rosen has my favorite skill set by far, but I don't love his injury history, and I'm worried there is some truth to rumors regarding his entitlement and arrogance issues. I'm just not sure a team like the Browns can take a risk on a QB with concussion history. Now, I tend to be higher than most on Baker Mayfield, and here's why:  I've long said that the QB responsible for turning the Browns around will be a special talent. A guy who isn't just physically talented, but someone who has the charisma and innate leadership ability that infects his teammates with a "can't lose" attitude. A fiery, emotional, and larger than life type personality who will drive our team from the doldrums of professional sports and cement our beleaguered franchise back in the top where we have strayed for far too long. 

    If you were to look at Baker Mayfield's stats in the Senior Bowl, you'd probably come away unimpressed (3-7, 9 yards I think). But the numbers don't tell you the entire story, as virtually every pass he threw was right on the money except for maybe 1 or 2. They were definitely not "easy" catches, but he demonstrated accuracy and surprising arm strength on several tosses. He also showed off his newly acquired experience in taking snaps under center. Although he didn't show many, it certainly looked pretty natural. With Mayfield, I really want to know about his intelligence. How does he score in Wonderlic? What do people say about his ability to digest information, and more importantly, his ability to PROCESS information quickly? Can he progress through his reads, and if not, does he possess the aptitude for LEARNING this prized skill? 

    As the season ended, I was completely on board with drafting Josh Rosen. In fact, I STILL believe he's the best pure prospect in the draft. I've always agreed with Tour on that fact, but as more time goes by, I find myself becoming more and more terrified of drafting a QB with concussion issues, especially when rookies are known to take so many hits (as they learn the speed and nuances of the game). If not for the concussions, I'd be screaming to draft Rosen, and even if we do, I'll still be elated. He's a very solid choice. But due to injury concerns, I find myself going back and forth with Darnold and Mayfield. Darnold got his butt blown apart by Ohio State, and that's worrisome, but he's certainly not the only qb to receive that treatment by OSU's defense. Darnold is scrappy, physically talented, and has lots to work with. I don't love his release, and he needs to clean up the fumbles IMMEDIATELY. Mayfield is the KING of scrappy, but doesn't have the size. All three (Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield) are currently part of my "We better draft these guys or I'll implode" list, and as the workouts and combine evaluations start to roll in, we Browns fans will have lots of fun discussing these guys and what they each bring to the table. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Bruce Arians believes college QB crop may be “best in the last 15 or 20 years”

    Posted by Curtis Crabtree on February 1, 2018, 1:03 AM EST
    617642580-e1503438105583.jpg?w=560&h=316
    Getty Images

    Bruce Arians may not be coaching the Arizona Cardinals anymore, but that doesn’t mean he’s not still invested in the game he coached for 42 years.

    In an interview with Josh Weinfuss of ESPN.com at the Waste Management Open on Wednesday, Arians spoke glowingly about the group of college quarterbacks eligible to be drafted in April.

    “Oh, I think it’s outstanding,” Arians said. “Maybe the best in 15 or 20 years. The number of quality guys with height, stature, arms, statistics… I really wish I had the chance to meet each and every one and do all the evaluations but I think right now you could be sitting at 14 and get a quarterback. People are going to start trading up and everything but there’s enough quality guys to go around for everybody.

    Arians’ former team needs a quarterback following the retirement of Carson Palmer after the season. They will certainly be one of the teams pouring time into evaluations of all of the quarterbacks available in the class.

    Arians said there’s a lot of quarterbacks that have made an impression on him from this year’s crop.

    “Talent-wise, I mean, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, (Josh) Allen,” he said. “Baker (Mayfield) has that charisma. I love Lamar Jackson. I think he’s got an unbelievable skill set. Mason Rudolph beat my (Virginia Tech) Hokies with that deep ball and he may have the best deep ball of all of them. You could go on and on.”

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/01/bruce-arians-believes-college-qb-crop-may-be-best-in-the-last-15-or-20-years/

    Tour....what the heck is wrong with me? Scratch that, we don't have time to go into that, and I don't need my therapist responding on this thread. But I don't have this class as anything THAT special? Am I the only one? Sure I love Rosen's ability, and I believe Darnold has some crazy tools, although super raw, but this doesn't feel any different from the past few years. I have Josh Allen as a 2nd to 3rd round pick, and only 3 qb's ranked for the first round (Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield). Am I forgetting someone? I absolutely love Lamar Jackson, but I consider him to be more of a project than the others, thus giving him a 2nd round grade (although I think someone falls in love with him and trades back into 1st round). There's a CHANCE I will move Mason Rudolph into the 1st round, but to be fair, I haven't evaluated him yet, and I'm slow to warm to big, slow white guys from Oklahoma State (ahem, Weeden). 

    I fully respect Bruce Arians, and I was one of fans who was ticked when we didn't hire him in past years. I think he knows qb's, so maybe I'm just way wrong for thinking this qb class is just more of the same. I was slow to come around on Darnold because of his rawness and penchant for turning over the rock, but now I believe his skill set is simply too vast to ignore. Rosen has my favorite skill set by far, but I don't love his injury history, and I'm worried there is some truth to rumors regarding his entitlement and arrogance issues. I'm just not sure a team like the Browns can take a risk on a QB with concussion history. Now, I tend to be higher than most on Baker Mayfield, and here's why:  I've long said that the QB responsible for turning the Browns around will be a special talent. A guy who isn't just physically talented, but someone who has the charisma and innate leadership ability that infects his teammates with a "can't lose" attitude. A fiery, emotional, and larger than life type personality who will drive our team from the doldrums of professional sports and cement our beleaguered franchise back in the top where we have strayed for far too long. 

    If you were to look at Baker Mayfield's stats in the Senior Bowl, you'd probably come away unimpressed (3-7, 9 yards I think). But the numbers don't tell you the entire story, as virtually every pass he threw was right on the money except for maybe 1 or 2. They were definitely not "easy" catches, but he demonstrated accuracy and surprising arm strength on several tosses. He also showed off his newly acquired experience in taking snaps under center. Although he didn't show many, it certainly looked pretty natural. With Mayfield, I really want to know about his intelligence. How does he score in Wonderlic? What do people say about his ability to digest information, and more importantly, his ability to PROCESS information quickly? Can he progress through his reads, and if not, does he possess the aptitude for LEARNING this prized skill? 

    As the season ended, I was completely on board with drafting Josh Rosen. In fact, I STILL believe he's the best pure prospect in the draft. I've always agreed with Tour on that fact, but as more time goes by, I find myself becoming more and more terrified of drafting a QB with concussion issues, especially when rookies are known to take so many hits (as they learn the speed and nuances of the game). If not for the concussions, I'd be screaming to draft Rosen, and even if we do, I'll still be elated. He's a very solid choice. But due to injury concerns, I find myself going back and forth with Darnold and Mayfield. Darnold got his butt blown apart by Ohio State, and that's worrisome, but he's certainly not the only qb to receive that treatment by OSU's defense. Darnold is scrappy, physically talented, and has lots to work with. I don't love his release, and he needs to clean up the fumbles IMMEDIATELY. Mayfield is the KING of scrappy, but doesn't have the size. All three (Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield) are currently part of my "We better draft these guys or I'll implode" list, and as the workouts and combine evaluations start to roll in, we Browns fans will have lots of fun discussing these guys and what they each bring to the table. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Tour....what the heck is wrong with me? Scratch that, we don't have time to go into that, and I don't need my therapist responding on this thread. But I don't have this class as anything THAT special? Am I the only one? Sure I love Rosen's ability, and I believe Darnold has some crazy tools, although super raw, but this doesn't feel any different from the past few years. I have Josh Allen as a 2nd to 3rd round pick, and only 3 qb's ranked for the first round (Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield). Am I forgetting someone? I absolutely love Lamar Jackson, but I consider him to be more of a project than the others, thus giving him a 2nd round grade (although I think someone falls in love with him and trades back into 1st round). There's a CHANCE I will move Mason Rudolph into the 1st round, but to be fair, I haven't evaluated him yet, and I'm slow to warm to big, slow white guys from Oklahoma State (ahem, Weeden). 

    I fully respect Bruce Arians, and I was one of fans who was ticked when we didn't hire him in past years. I think he knows qb's, so maybe I'm just way wrong for thinking this qb class is just more of the same. I was slow to come around on Darnold because of his rawness and penchant for turning over the rock, but now I believe his skill set is simply too vast to ignore. Rosen has my favorite skill set by far, but I don't love his injury history, and I'm worried there is some truth to rumors regarding his entitlement and arrogance issues. I'm just not sure a team like the Browns can take a risk on a QB with concussion history. Now, I tend to be higher than most on Baker Mayfield, and here's why:  I've long said that the QB responsible for turning the Browns around will be a special talent. A guy who isn't just physically talented, but someone who has the charisma and innate leadership ability that infects his teammates with a "can't lose" attitude. A fiery, emotional, and larger than life type personality who will drive our team from the doldrums of professional sports and cement our beleaguered franchise back in the top where we have strayed for far too long. 

    If you were to look at Baker Mayfield's stats in the Senior Bowl, you'd probably come away unimpressed (3-7, 9 yards I think). But the numbers don't tell you the entire story, as virtually every pass he threw was right on the money except for maybe 1 or 2. They were definitely not "easy" catches, but he demonstrated accuracy and surprising arm strength on several tosses. He also showed off his newly acquired experience in taking snaps under center. Although he didn't show many, it certainly looked pretty natural. With Mayfield, I really want to know about his intelligence. How does he score in Wonderlic? What do people say about his ability to digest information, and more importantly, his ability to PROCESS information quickly? Can he progress through his reads, and if not, does he possess the aptitude for LEARNING this prized skill? 

    As the season ended, I was completely on board with drafting Josh Rosen. In fact, I STILL believe he's the best pure prospect in the draft. I've always agreed with Tour on that fact, but as more time goes by, I find myself becoming more and more terrified of drafting a QB with concussion issues, especially when rookies are known to take so many hits (as they learn the speed and nuances of the game). If not for the concussions, I'd be screaming to draft Rosen, and even if we do, I'll still be elated. He's a very solid choice. But due to injury concerns, I find myself going back and forth with Darnold and Mayfield. Darnold got his butt blown apart by Ohio State, and that's worrisome, but he's certainly not the only qb to receive that treatment by OSU's defense. Darnold is scrappy, physically talented, and has lots to work with. I don't love his release, and he needs to clean up the fumbles IMMEDIATELY. Mayfield is the KING of scrappy, but doesn't have the size. All three (Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield) are currently part of my "We better draft these guys or I'll implode" list, and as the workouts and combine evaluations start to roll in, we Browns fans will have lots of fun discussing these guys and what they each bring to the table. 

    I can't believe you didn't mention Po's hand job queen, Allen.😛

    Oh wait, he's tuggin' Barkley & Ghoolie these days.😁

  • Always find Pluto reads to be among the best...

    This point jumped out at me. I've read so much here and other places about how inferior the talent around Allen was... how his completion percentage suffered due to drops, etc. Turns out not-so-much...

    " 10. Profootballfocus reported Allen had only 12 passes dropped at Wyoming last season. By contrast, UCLA's Josh Rosen had 34 passes dropped, Mayfield had 28 and Darnold had 18. So Allen's low completion percentage was not due to guys dropping balls."

    @tour2ma said:

    Always find Pluto reads to be among the best...

    This point jumped out at me. I've read so much here and other places about how inferior the talent around Allen was... how his completion percentage suffered due to drops, etc. Turns out not-so-much...

    " 10. Profootballfocus reported Allen had only 12 passes dropped at Wyoming last season. By contrast, UCLA's Josh Rosen had 34 passes dropped, Mayfield had 28 and Darnold had 18. So Allen's low completion percentage was not due to guys dropping balls."

    I'll say it again, Josh Allen absolutely terrifies me and I want nothing to do with him. Mel Kiper recently said, "Stats are for losers" when discussing Allen's uninspiring statistics, and that's about the worst argument I've EVER heard when trying to defend a stance. I mean, it almost sounds like he's in the 5th grade. "You don't like the analytical and quantitative evidence of how my favorite qb performed last year?! Yeah? Well....STATS ARE FOR LOSERS! Ha! And my daddy can beat up your daddy!" 

    Deshone Kizer struggled with HIS accuracy in the league, and he appeared more accurate to me than Allen while in college. Accuracy is so important in the NFL, and not just the ability to deliver the ball to the intended target, but the ability to deliver it IN STRIDE. Dorsey loves yards after the catch, and hasn't made that a secret. It's one of the many reasons he signed Alex Smith (also one of the biggest reasons I WANTED him too *sigh*). How many times did Kizer complete a pass for positive gains, but the receiver either fell down to secure the catch, or had to jump for it, or slow down....or whatever. All the time, right? Now, this wasn't ALWAYS his fault, as too many times our receivers went down when they didn't have to, or couldn't make a single defender miss, but if I had to guess, we were one of the worst teams in the league in YAC (too lazy to look up. Lol). 

    We need accuracy, and more importantly, YAC ACCURACY in Cleveland. We STILL haven't found ways to get Corey Coleman the ball in space, and that was something he was KNOWN for in college. Now, he appears to be a little possession receiver. Just what every team wants! Wait...no...no they don't. Coleman's inability to get YAC isn't completely on Hue or Kizer, as the young man has dealt with two freak hand injuries, but it's still baffling to me that a guy with Coleman's physical skills has yet to basically make ANY explosive plays for us. This is yet another reason why I was desperate for Alex Smith. I felt he could've rejuvenated Coleman's entire career with his precision passing, and if we had Josh Gordon on the other side, Duke out of the backfield, and Njoku in the middle, all of the sudden you have an offense that isn't easy to shut down. 

    The pinpoint accuracy is the single biggest reason I like Mayfield so much, and also Rosen (except for injuries). I want the ball in the hands of our playmakers, and I want it there on time and in stride. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Bruce Arians believes college QB crop may be “best in the last 15 or 20 years”

    Posted by Curtis Crabtree on February 1, 2018, 1:03 AM EST
    617642580-e1503438105583.jpg?w=560&h=316
    Getty Images

    Bruce Arians may not be coaching the Arizona Cardinals anymore, but that doesn’t mean he’s not still invested in the game he coached for 42 years.

    In an interview with Josh Weinfuss of ESPN.com at the Waste Management Open on Wednesday, Arians spoke glowingly about the group of college quarterbacks eligible to be drafted in April.

    “Oh, I think it’s outstanding,” Arians said. “Maybe the best in 15 or 20 years. The number of quality guys with height, stature, arms, statistics… I really wish I had the chance to meet each and every one and do all the evaluations but I think right now you could be sitting at 14 and get a quarterback. People are going to start trading up and everything but there’s enough quality guys to go around for everybody.

    Arians’ former team needs a quarterback following the retirement of Carson Palmer after the season. They will certainly be one of the teams pouring time into evaluations of all of the quarterbacks available in the class.

    Arians said there’s a lot of quarterbacks that have made an impression on him from this year’s crop.

    “Talent-wise, I mean, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, (Josh) Allen,” he said. “Baker (Mayfield) has that charisma. I love Lamar Jackson. I think he’s got an unbelievable skill set. Mason Rudolph beat my (Virginia Tech) Hokies with that deep ball and he may have the best deep ball of all of them. You could go on and on.”

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/01/bruce-arians-believes-college-qb-crop-may-be-best-in-the-last-15-or-20-years/

    Tour....what the heck is wrong with me? Scratch that, we don't have time to go into that, and I don't need my therapist responding on this thread. But I don't have this class as anything THAT special? Am I the only one? Sure I love Rosen's ability, and I believe Darnold has some crazy tools, although super raw, but this doesn't feel any different from the past few years. I have Josh Allen as a 2nd to 3rd round pick, and only 3 qb's ranked for the first round (Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield). Am I forgetting someone? I absolutely love Lamar Jackson, but I consider him to be more of a project than the others, thus giving him a 2nd round grade (although I think someone falls in love with him and trades back into 1st round). There's a CHANCE I will move Mason Rudolph into the 1st round, but to be fair, I haven't evaluated him yet, and I'm slow to warm to big, slow white guys from Oklahoma State (ahem, Weeden). 

    I fully respect Bruce Arians, and I was one of fans who was ticked when we didn't hire him in past years. I think he knows qb's, so maybe I'm just way wrong for thinking this qb class is just more of the same. I was slow to come around on Darnold because of his rawness and penchant for turning over the rock, but now I believe his skill set is simply too vast to ignore. Rosen has my favorite skill set by far, but I don't love his injury history, and I'm worried there is some truth to rumors regarding his entitlement and arrogance issues. I'm just not sure a team like the Browns can take a risk on a QB with concussion history. Now, I tend to be higher than most on Baker Mayfield, and here's why:  I've long said that the QB responsible for turning the Browns around will be a special talent. A guy who isn't just physically talented, but someone who has the charisma and innate leadership ability that infects his teammates with a "can't lose" attitude. A fiery, emotional, and larger than life type personality who will drive our team from the doldrums of professional sports and cement our beleaguered franchise back in the top where we have strayed for far too long. 

    If you were to look at Baker Mayfield's stats in the Senior Bowl, you'd probably come away unimpressed (3-7, 9 yards I think). But the numbers don't tell you the entire story, as virtually every pass he threw was right on the money except for maybe 1 or 2. They were definitely not "easy" catches, but he demonstrated accuracy and surprising arm strength on several tosses. He also showed off his newly acquired experience in taking snaps under center. Although he didn't show many, it certainly looked pretty natural. With Mayfield, I really want to know about his intelligence. How does he score in Wonderlic? What do people say about his ability to digest information, and more importantly, his ability to PROCESS information quickly? Can he progress through his reads, and if not, does he possess the aptitude for LEARNING this prized skill? 

    As the season ended, I was completely on board with drafting Josh Rosen. In fact, I STILL believe he's the best pure prospect in the draft. I've always agreed with Tour on that fact, but as more time goes by, I find myself becoming more and more terrified of drafting a QB with concussion issues, especially when rookies are known to take so many hits (as they learn the speed and nuances of the game). If not for the concussions, I'd be screaming to draft Rosen, and even if we do, I'll still be elated. He's a very solid choice. But due to injury concerns, I find myself going back and forth with Darnold and Mayfield. Darnold got his butt blown apart by Ohio State, and that's worrisome, but he's certainly not the only qb to receive that treatment by OSU's defense. Darnold is scrappy, physically talented, and has lots to work with. I don't love his release, and he needs to clean up the fumbles IMMEDIATELY. Mayfield is the KING of scrappy, but doesn't have the size. All three (Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield) are currently part of my "We better draft these guys or I'll implode" list, and as the workouts and combine evaluations start to roll in, we Browns fans will have lots of fun discussing these guys and what they each bring to the table. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Tour....what the heck is wrong with me? Scratch that, we don't have time to go into that, and I don't need my therapist responding on this thread. But I don't have this class as anything THAT special?

    For me it's the comparative period... I mean, how special does this class have to be to be the best in 15 or 20 years?

    @dutch-oven said:

    Jay Cutler, actually. He'd be the anti-Gruden. It would be a half hour of snide remarks, resting bitch face stares into the camera, and eye rolls.

    And that would be different from Gruden, how?

  • @tour2ma said:

    Always find Pluto reads to be among the best...

    This point jumped out at me. I've read so much here and other places about how inferior the talent around Allen was... how his completion percentage suffered due to drops, etc. Turns out not-so-much...

    " 10. Profootballfocus reported Allen had only 12 passes dropped at Wyoming last season. By contrast, UCLA's Josh Rosen had 34 passes dropped, Mayfield had 28 and Darnold had 18. So Allen's low completion percentage was not due to guys dropping balls."

    I'll say it again, Josh Allen absolutely terrifies me and I want nothing to do with him. Mel Kiper recently said, "Stats are for losers" when discussing Allen's uninspiring statistics, and that's about the worst argument I've EVER heard when trying to defend a stance. I mean, it almost sounds like he's in the 5th grade. "You don't like the analytical and quantitative evidence of how my favorite qb performed last year?! Yeah? Well....STATS ARE FOR LOSERS! Ha! And my daddy can beat up your daddy!" 

    Deshone Kizer struggled with HIS accuracy in the league, and he appeared more accurate to me than Allen while in college. Accuracy is so important in the NFL, and not just the ability to deliver the ball to the intended target, but the ability to deliver it IN STRIDE. Dorsey loves yards after the catch, and hasn't made that a secret. It's one of the many reasons he signed Alex Smith (also one of the biggest reasons I WANTED him too *sigh*). How many times did Kizer complete a pass for positive gains, but the receiver either fell down to secure the catch, or had to jump for it, or slow down....or whatever. All the time, right? Now, this wasn't ALWAYS his fault, as too many times our receivers went down when they didn't have to, or couldn't make a single defender miss, but if I had to guess, we were one of the worst teams in the league in YAC (too lazy to look up. Lol). 

    We need accuracy, and more importantly, YAC ACCURACY in Cleveland. We STILL haven't found ways to get Corey Coleman the ball in space, and that was something he was KNOWN for in college. Now, he appears to be a little possession receiver. Just what every team wants! Wait...no...no they don't. Coleman's inability to get YAC isn't completely on Hue or Kizer, as the young man has dealt with two freak hand injuries, but it's still baffling to me that a guy with Coleman's physical skills has yet to basically make ANY explosive plays for us. This is yet another reason why I was desperate for Alex Smith. I felt he could've rejuvenated Coleman's entire career with his precision passing, and if we had Josh Gordon on the other side, Duke out of the backfield, and Njoku in the middle, all of the sudden you have an offense that isn't easy to shut down. 

    The pinpoint accuracy is the single biggest reason I like Mayfield so much, and also Rosen (except for injuries). I want the ball in the hands of our playmakers, and I want it there on time and in stride. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I'll say it again, Josh Allen absolutely terrifies me and I want nothing to do with him. Mel Kiper recently said, "Stats are for losers" when discussing Allen's uninspiring statistics, and that's about the worst argument I've EVER heard when trying to defend a stance. I mean, it almost sounds like he's in the 5th grade. "You don't like the analytical and quantitative evidence of how my favorite qb performed last year?! Yeah? Well....STATS ARE FOR LOSERS! Ha! And my daddy can beat up your daddy!" 

    Deshone Kizer struggled with HIS accuracy in the league, and he appeared more accurate to me than Allen while in college. Accuracy is so important in the NFL, and not just the ability to deliver the ball to the intended target, but the ability to deliver it IN STRIDE. Dorsey loves yards after the catch, and hasn't made that a secret. It's one of the many reasons he signed Alex Smith (also one of the biggest reasons I WANTED him too *sigh*). How many times did Kizer complete a pass for positive gains, but the receiver either fell down to secure the catch, or had to jump for it, or slow down....or whatever. All the time, right? Now, this wasn't ALWAYS his fault, as too many times our receivers went down when they didn't have to, or couldn't make a single defender miss, but if I had to guess, we were one of the worst teams in the league in YAC (too lazy to look up. Lol). 

    We need accuracy, and more importantly, YAC ACCURACY in Cleveland. We STILL haven't found ways to get Corey Coleman the ball in space, and that was something he was KNOWN for in college. Now, he appears to be a little possession receiver. Just what every team wants! Wait...no...no they don't. Coleman's inability to get YAC isn't completely on Hue or Kizer, as the young man has dealt with two freak hand injuries, but it's still baffling to me that a guy with Coleman's physical skills has yet to basically make ANY explosive plays for us. This is yet another reason why I was desperate for Alex Smith. I felt he could've rejuvenated Coleman's entire career with his precision passing, and if we had Josh Gordon on the other side, Duke out of the backfield, and Njoku in the middle, all of the sudden you have an offense that isn't easy to shut down. 

    The pinpoint accuracy is the single biggest reason I like Mayfield so much, and also Rosen (except for injuries). I want the ball in the hands of our playmakers, and I want it there on time and in stride. 

    Seems that more often than not (WAY more often) Whenever Coleman caught a pass, he ended up on the ground. He never seemed to catch anything in stride.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Tour....what the heck is wrong with me? Scratch that, we don't have time to go into that, and I don't need my therapist responding on this thread. But I don't have this class as anything THAT special?

    For me it's the comparative period... I mean, how special does this class have to be to be the best in 15 or 20 years?

    @dutch-oven said:

    Jay Cutler, actually. He'd be the anti-Gruden. It would be a half hour of snide remarks, resting bitch face stares into the camera, and eye rolls.

    And that would be different from Gruden, how?

    @tour2ma said:

    And that would be different from Gruden, how?

    I got the feeling sometimes that if the camera kept rolling longer we might see rookie QBs joining the #MeToo movement due to Gruden...

  • Bruce Arians believes college QB crop may be “best in the last 15 or 20 years”

    Posted by Curtis Crabtree on February 1, 2018, 1:03 AM EST
    617642580-e1503438105583.jpg?w=560&h=316
    Getty Images

    Bruce Arians may not be coaching the Arizona Cardinals anymore, but that doesn’t mean he’s not still invested in the game he coached for 42 years.

    In an interview with Josh Weinfuss of ESPN.com at the Waste Management Open on Wednesday, Arians spoke glowingly about the group of college quarterbacks eligible to be drafted in April.

    “Oh, I think it’s outstanding,” Arians said. “Maybe the best in 15 or 20 years. The number of quality guys with height, stature, arms, statistics… I really wish I had the chance to meet each and every one and do all the evaluations but I think right now you could be sitting at 14 and get a quarterback. People are going to start trading up and everything but there’s enough quality guys to go around for everybody.

    Arians’ former team needs a quarterback following the retirement of Carson Palmer after the season. They will certainly be one of the teams pouring time into evaluations of all of the quarterbacks available in the class.

    Arians said there’s a lot of quarterbacks that have made an impression on him from this year’s crop.

    “Talent-wise, I mean, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, (Josh) Allen,” he said. “Baker (Mayfield) has that charisma. I love Lamar Jackson. I think he’s got an unbelievable skill set. Mason Rudolph beat my (Virginia Tech) Hokies with that deep ball and he may have the best deep ball of all of them. You could go on and on.”

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/01/bruce-arians-believes-college-qb-crop-may-be-best-in-the-last-15-or-20-years/

    @tour2ma said:

    Bruce Arians believes college QB crop may be “best in the last 15 or 20 years”

    Posted by Curtis Crabtree on February 1, 2018, 1:03 AM EST
    617642580-e1503438105583.jpg?w=560&h=316
    Getty Images

    Bruce Arians may not be coaching the Arizona Cardinals anymore, but that doesn’t mean he’s not still invested in the game he coached for 42 years.

    In an interview with Josh Weinfuss of ESPN.com at the Waste Management Open on Wednesday, Arians spoke glowingly about the group of college quarterbacks eligible to be drafted in April.

    “Oh, I think it’s outstanding,” Arians said. “Maybe the best in 15 or 20 years. The number of quality guys with height, stature, arms, statistics… I really wish I had the chance to meet each and every one and do all the evaluations but I think right now you could be sitting at 14 and get a quarterback. People are going to start trading up and everything but there’s enough quality guys to go around for everybody.

    Arians’ former team needs a quarterback following the retirement of Carson Palmer after the season. They will certainly be one of the teams pouring time into evaluations of all of the quarterbacks available in the class.

    Arians said there’s a lot of quarterbacks that have made an impression on him from this year’s crop.

    “Talent-wise, I mean, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, (Josh) Allen,” he said. “Baker (Mayfield) has that charisma. I love Lamar Jackson. I think he’s got an unbelievable skill set. Mason Rudolph beat my (Virginia Tech) Hokies with that deep ball and he may have the best deep ball of all of them. You could go on and on.”

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/01/bruce-arians-believes-college-qb-crop-may-be-best-in-the-last-15-or-20-years/

    😮 or 😆 ? Best in 15 or 20 years, I know every position has up and down years but that's nearly once in a generation talk......or Bruce needs his meds. 😆

    Those early grades sure didn't look like a bunch of 7.5+ guys more like 5.0+ and 6.0 guys, maybe he's grading on the curve? For sure not the Class of '83 but then that's pretty much the gold standard for generational quarterbacks. 

    It's going to be a fun few months and NFL camps this year.......HEY SOMEONE WAKE UP BRUCE!

  • @broganreynik said:

    You were overstating the obvious like you had some Billy Bean keen eye for stats.

    It's what he does... the man knows his limitations.

    Great idea for a new avatar for him... 5a73472a9dbbe_CaptObvious.jpg.1d1ad3ee891b9b24dbb537cd14ec51cd.jpg

    Z?

    @tour2ma said:

     man knows his limitations.

     5a73472a9dbbe_CaptObvious.jpg.1d1ad3ee891b9b24dbb537cd14ec51cd.jpg

    https://www.tmz.com/2018/02/02/baker-mayfield-cleveland-browns-absolutely/     no he don't..have you seen the Cl*ss of Emily? 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Always find Pluto reads to be among the best...

    This point jumped out at me. I've read so much here and other places about how inferior the talent around Allen was... how his completion percentage suffered due to drops, etc. Turns out not-so-much...

    " 10. Profootballfocus reported Allen had only 12 passes dropped at Wyoming last season. By contrast, UCLA's Josh Rosen had 34 passes dropped, Mayfield had 28 and Darnold had 18. So Allen's low completion percentage was not due to guys dropping balls."

    I'll say it again, Josh Allen absolutely terrifies me and I want nothing to do with him. Mel Kiper recently said, "Stats are for losers" when discussing Allen's uninspiring statistics, and that's about the worst argument I've EVER heard when trying to defend a stance. I mean, it almost sounds like he's in the 5th grade. "You don't like the analytical and quantitative evidence of how my favorite qb performed last year?! Yeah? Well....STATS ARE FOR LOSERS! Ha! And my daddy can beat up your daddy!" 

    Deshone Kizer struggled with HIS accuracy in the league, and he appeared more accurate to me than Allen while in college. Accuracy is so important in the NFL, and not just the ability to deliver the ball to the intended target, but the ability to deliver it IN STRIDE. Dorsey loves yards after the catch, and hasn't made that a secret. It's one of the many reasons he signed Alex Smith (also one of the biggest reasons I WANTED him too *sigh*). How many times did Kizer complete a pass for positive gains, but the receiver either fell down to secure the catch, or had to jump for it, or slow down....or whatever. All the time, right? Now, this wasn't ALWAYS his fault, as too many times our receivers went down when they didn't have to, or couldn't make a single defender miss, but if I had to guess, we were one of the worst teams in the league in YAC (too lazy to look up. Lol). 

    We need accuracy, and more importantly, YAC ACCURACY in Cleveland. We STILL haven't found ways to get Corey Coleman the ball in space, and that was something he was KNOWN for in college. Now, he appears to be a little possession receiver. Just what every team wants! Wait...no...no they don't. Coleman's inability to get YAC isn't completely on Hue or Kizer, as the young man has dealt with two freak hand injuries, but it's still baffling to me that a guy with Coleman's physical skills has yet to basically make ANY explosive plays for us. This is yet another reason why I was desperate for Alex Smith. I felt he could've rejuvenated Coleman's entire career with his precision passing, and if we had Josh Gordon on the other side, Duke out of the backfield, and Njoku in the middle, all of the sudden you have an offense that isn't easy to shut down. 

    The pinpoint accuracy is the single biggest reason I like Mayfield so much, and also Rosen (except for injuries). I want the ball in the hands of our playmakers, and I want it there on time and in stride. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Accuracy is so important in the NFL, and not just the ability to deliver the ball to the intended target, but the ability to deliver it IN STRIDE.

    I think you are onto something with your YAC angle, but it is no panacea. Bubble screens that pop would pad the stat... zone Ds would suppress it... etc.

    When it comes to throwing accuracy, I don't think there's a stat or combination of stats that can fully capture it. Best approach would have to be grading each throw based upon where it ended up vs. where it optimally should have gone. And even then you couldn't be sure whether the receiver ran an accurate route.

    In the face of these limitations the best solution may be the simplest... stick with completion percentage.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Accuracy is so important in the NFL, and not just the ability to deliver the ball to the intended target, but the ability to deliver it IN STRIDE.

    I think you are onto something with your YAC angle, but it is no panacea. Bubble screens that pop would pad the stat... zone Ds would suppress it... etc.

    When it comes to throwing accuracy, I don't think there's a stat or combination of stats that can fully capture it. Best approach would have to be grading each throw based upon where it ended up vs. where it optimally should have gone. And even then you couldn't be sure whether the receiver ran an accurate route.

    In the face of these limitations the best solution may be the simplest... stick with completion percentage.

    @tour2ma said:

    I think you are onto something with your YAC angle, but it is no panacea. Bubble screens that pop would pad the stat... zone Ds would suppress it... etc.

    When it comes to throwing accuracy, I don't think there's a stat or combination of stats that can fully capture it. Best approach would have to be grading each throw based upon where it ended up vs. where it optimally should have gone. And even then you couldn't be sure whether the receiver ran an accurate route.

    In the face of these limitations the best solution may be the simplest... stick with completion percentage.

    It's a fair point. However, think-tanks like Pro Football Focus devote endless hours to recording and ranking all sorts of crazy statistics, so I'm willing to bet they have SOMETHING that can help clarify the issue. How about, "Yards after the catch on passes traveling more than 5 yards down the field" or something similar. Does this metric exist? I dunno, but I think the info is out there somewhere. 

    Completion percentage is always going to be a good indicator for me, but I also can use the less reliable "eye test". This tells me people like Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Alex Smith, and Tom Brady (duh) all excel at placing the ball in a position for their receiver to run after the catch. Those are all some pretty high powered (uh, mostly Hall of Fame) names, but there are lesser names that also pass the eye test. Case Keenum for starters, and Sam Bradford (when healthy) both displayed the ability to place the ball quite accurately. Bradford has always been associated with stellar accuracy, and he could be worth a gamble. 

    My biggest problem with not signing Alex Smith is that we have yet ANOTHER example of our management NOT doing what it takes to make it happen AND the management thinking that THEIR vision is the best thing for the team. Arrogance, flat and simple. Every GM in the past umpteen years thought they could trade down, find a late 1st or 2nd round qb talent, or washed up veteran that could be the answer. They were ALL WRONG. Look back at ALL the moves our managers DIDN'T make. Why? Because they were either too cheap or too arrogant. Couple years ago, we could've had Kirk Cousins for a 2nd rounder. We didn't make the move. We don't have time to go through EVERY move we didn't make, but not getting Alex Smith is another example. And WHY didn't we make the move? Because we didn't want to extend him to a 4 year deal BECAUSE John Dorsey wants to pick a QB at number 1. In other words, Dorsey won't sign the premier free agent qb because HE wants to take HIS GUY. Does this sound familiar? It SHOULD, because it's EXACTLY the same mistake every other jackass GM made during his tenure. 

    Alex Smith is 34. What would you say if I told you we could stabilize the QB position for 4 years? The position that has STRANGLED our franchise for almost 20 years. The position we haven't gotten right in so many laughable ways. The position we screw up over and over again when the answers are staring at us directly in the FACE. Alex Smith could've taken us from literally the worst team in the history of the league, to possibly 8-8, or close to it. Do I know that for fact? Of course not, but I could make a very good argument for it. Heck, what if we were 6-10? Or even 5-11? We'd feel like we died and went to football heaven. 

    Another GM and another failure due to arrogance. ALL these jerks think they know best, and I get it, I really do. Their brains got them this far and they're used to getting their way. But every single one of these jerks just HAS to make things difficult. All Dorsey had to do was offer the second rounder, maybe a 4th rounder, and a contract for 4 years, $80 million and it's DONE. Browns fans get REAL FOOTBALL for a minimum of 4 years, maybe even 5. Why didn't we do it? Because Dorsey wants to show us just how freaking smart he is. He wants to show us that HE is the GM that can scout qb's, and HE is going to draft the right guy when none of the other idiots could get it done. I'm ticked off and it's more of the darn same. Go back and look at the close games we had this year. Even with our terrible defense, are you telling me Alex Smith doesn't win a few of those games? 4 years is a long time people. Even if we won...say...4 games in 2018 with Alex Smith. That still leaves us 3 more years TO BUILD. Maybe we win 8 or 9 in 2019. Perhaps we get to the playoffs after that. I just don't understand why Dorsey wouldn't offer Smith the extension. It's sickening, revolting, and absolutely proof that each of these GM's is no different from the other. They all think they're the smartest person in the room, and I'm SICK OF IT. Go back and look at that IDIOT Tony Grossi's final mock draft for the Browns in 2017. Deshaun Watson and Budda Baker. It's that easy folks. 

  • Problem is Jiggy, I don't think the quarterback position has been the reason for the amazingly unsuccessful run, I think it's the quick hook. You can't establish any kind of a track record if you have to change everything every year or two.

    WSS

  • Problem is Jiggy, I don't think the quarterback position has been the reason for the amazingly unsuccessful run, I think it's the quick hook. You can't establish any kind of a track record if you have to change everything every year or two.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Problem is Jiggy, I don't think the quarterback position has been the reason for the amazingly unsuccessful run, I think it's the quick hook. You can't establish any kind of a track record if you have to change everything every year or two.

    WSS

    Yeah, I can get down with that. The constant turnover certainly helped nothing, but this is exactly why I wanted Alex Smith, lol. If Smith can help us win 5 or maybe 6 games, that would probably be enough to warrant our coaches coming back for another year...and we'd have continuity! Conversely, if we get another second-rate veteran qb, draft a rookie 1st overall, I can just see the "quick hook" coming faster than ever. The washed up veteran will get us to 1-6, everyone will be screaming for our 1st pick qb to play, we'll throw his butt into the starting lineup before he's ready, and we'll stumble and fall all the way to the first pick in 2019. Except at the end of this disaster season, Hue would've given us 3 years, nobody could blame our management for not giving him a fair shake, Dorsey will hire his coach, and the process of failure will continue on. Hue will get fired, our rookie QB will have to learn ANOTHER offensive system in his second year, and he will probably get overwhelmed and completely fail out of the league before spending millions of dollars on therapy and struggling to find a way to live with what could have been. 

    I have....foreseen it. Oh wait, I'm not psychic, it's the same thing that always happens to us. 

  • LOL!  ^^^^^^

    Groundhog day = Cleveland Browns