Skip to content

Dungy calls Browns the greatest dynasty ever...

The Browns Board
42 12 1.1k
  • Wish it made me feel better.

    Tony Dungy: Browns dynasty better than the Patriots

    Who has the right to claim best NFL dynasty?

    Professional football has not seen many, if any, dynasties that rival the New England Patriots.

    Former NFL head coach Tony Dungy was on press row Tuesday when he was asked if the Patriots are the greatest dynasty ever. He named a few before settling on the Cleveland Browns.

    "Well, you'd have to look at the longevity...In the 50s it was Otto Graham and the Browns and they did it for a decade, and then Packers did it for a decade, and then Dallas, and the 49ers were close in terms of doing it with two different groups -- coach (Bill) Walsh passed it along to George Seifert. But to stay from 2001 to 2017, to maintain the excellence for 17 years, it's pretty amazing. Would you say it's better than the Browns in the 50s? Probably not, but to do it for that long period of time, it's pretty incredible," Dungy said via MassLive.com.

    Since 2001, the Patriots have made eight Super Bowl appearances. They have won five of those appearances with Sunday's decision still pending.

    The Browns won four AAFC Championships from 1946-1949 before joining the NFL. They appeared in seven NFL Championships over eight seasons winning three of them. Then, they appeared in four NFL Championships in six years from 1964-1969. In 24 seasons, they made an appearance in the championship 19 times.

    https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/Tony-Dungy-Browns-dynasty-better-than-Patriots-114502391

    @tour2ma said:

    Wish it made me feel better.

    Tony Dungy: Browns dynasty better than the Patriots

    Who has the right to claim best NFL dynasty?

    Professional football has not seen many, if any, dynasties that rival the New England Patriots.

    Former NFL head coach Tony Dungy was on press row Tuesday when he was asked if the Patriots are the greatest dynasty ever. He named a few before settling on the Cleveland Browns.

    "Well, you'd have to look at the longevity...In the 50s it was Otto Graham and the Browns and they did it for a decade, and then Packers did it for a decade, and then Dallas, and the 49ers were close in terms of doing it with two different groups -- coach (Bill) Walsh passed it along to George Seifert. But to stay from 2001 to 2017, to maintain the excellence for 17 years, it's pretty amazing. Would you say it's better than the Browns in the 50s? Probably not, but to do it for that long period of time, it's pretty incredible," Dungy said via MassLive.com.

    Since 2001, the Patriots have made eight Super Bowl appearances. They have won five of those appearances with Sunday's decision still pending.

    The Browns won four AAFC Championships from 1946-1949 before joining the NFL. They appeared in seven NFL Championships over eight seasons winning three of them. Then, they appeared in four NFL Championships in six years from 1964-1969. In 24 seasons, they made an appearance in the championship 19 times.

    https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/Tony-Dungy-Browns-dynasty-better-than-Patriots-114502391

    I am not sure that I even had thought about doing that math, because I guess I was not paying much attention to the two Pre Super Bowl losses.

    So you have the Browns appearing in title games in:

    1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1957,  1964, 1965, 1968, 1969   these last two being what is now the equivalent of the NFC Championship game.   Fifteen times in 23 years...of at least conference championship game level of appearances. They came away with wins in 8 of those 15.  8-7 record.

    The question I think here is:  can those title game appearances in the 60s be included with the 40s/50s  to be considered a single long standing dynasty.  Or should they be viewed as a completely different era.  Different owner, different coach, different QBs. 

    The Pats, these last 17 years, have had the same coach and QB...BB/Brady.   While the Browns had no playoff appearances from 1958 to 1963 (due to the limited number of teams making the playoffs compared to today), they only had, I believe, one losing season.

    It may be more like the 49ers of the 80s/90s.  The 49ers had a run of 10 NFC title game appearances from  1981 to 1997.  81/83/84/88/89/90/92/93/94/97.......10 in 17 years.   But they also had a different coach and QB for the second part of their run.  Like the Browns.  In their 10 NFC title games...they came away with 5 wins.  (but they also won the Super Bowl all 5 times.

    And...How about those Cowboys?  From 1966 to 1982....a  period of 17 years....they played in 12...12...NFC title games.  12 out of 17.   They went 5-7 in those games....all under Tom Landry.  Mostly with Roger Staubach...but also a few years with Don Meredith, Craig Morton and Danny White.  I DO think this is a continuous dynasty.    BUT....should we include into this also the 90s Cowboys?    

    I personally think not.   There was 10 intervening years of not very good play...only  couple of playoff appearances with early exits.   There was a change of owners, a change of coach...and obviously a change of QBs.  Still...the 66-82 era has to be considered along with the Browns/49ers, and these Pats. 

    Steelers?  While they have had long stretches of success...nothing I think that matches the other dynasties.   They had an 8 year stretch from1972 to 1979 where they played in 6 conference championship games. winning 4 of 6...plus all 4 SBs.    But, between 1979 and 1994...they made it only once and lost.  So....as good as they were, there wasn't longevity.....nor continuity.  

    Since 1995...they have appeared in 8  Conf. title games in 22 years, with a couple of titles.   But I don't know if you would consider them a contiguous dynasty over that period.  

  • @ghoolie said:

    SO now you jackoffs like the Steelers.

    Fukcking idiots.

    No.  Again, are you drunk?  Are you having a stroke?  Liking the Steelers....and acknowledging  and accounting for their success just are not the same.

    Besides....as I noted....that particular dynasty does NOT match up to the extended dynasties of the Browns,  49ers, Cowboys, Patriots.  

  • Back when lineman were 190 lbs, right?

  • Back when lineman were 190 lbs, right?

    @mld-woody said:

    Back when lineman were 190 lbs, right?

    Don't be stupid. Do some research...and you will find that linemen were always big enough....until about the mid 80s when steroids and nutrition came into play.

    E.g.  Mike Webster played at about 250 lbs.   Frank Gatski was about the same.   Today they push 300 lbs. 

    In fact...size/weight wise....there are only 3 situations that are appreciably different from like the 40s/50s/60 to today.

    Offensive Linemen...and interior DL....have put on weight. DT   "Fatso" Art Donovan played at about 265....in the 50s.  Today....they play heavier.

     Defensive ends have not at all.  DE  Dough Atkins...who started play in 1952...was 6'8  260.  Deacon Jones:  6'5 272...which is almost exactly the same as Garrett, no?

    And QBs have gotten about an inch taller on average.

    There is no difference at all in LBs, WRs, DBs.

  • I would think you'd be all about the 1950s football Woody, that was about the last time TTUN was relevant, right? 😉

  • @mld-woody said:

    And let's see what the data says...

    https://deadspin.com/how-have-the-weights-of-nfl-positions-changed-over-time-1545701731

    It says what I said....OL and DTs have put on weight.  QBs have gotten taller.  (they have also put on a bit of weight just by virtue of being taller/bigger).

  • Back when lineman were 190 lbs, right?

    @mld-woody said:

    Back when lineman were 190 lbs, right?

    lol... more like 235, but definitely lighter.

    Used to play NFL Head Coach... during play mode changes it threw up quotes by some of te game's great HCs including the Paul Brown quote in my sig.

    One of teh other ones was from Chuck Noll. It read:

    "Some coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 270 lb. tackles. They'll make me wise."

    Times change...

  • Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

  • Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    That is the business of professional (and somewhat even college) football now, don't risk your big stars in meaningless games preseason or the end of the regular season, too bad if the fans don't like it.

    Even college players pull themselves out of bowl games now......sacrilegious! 

  • @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    That is the business of professional (and somewhat even college) football now, don't risk your big stars in meaningless games preseason or the end of the regular season, too bad if the fans don't like it.

    Even college players pull themselves out of bowl games now......sacrilegious! 

    @mjp28 said:

    Even college players pull themselves out of bowl games now......sacrilegious! 

    ... and once upon a time the NFL preseason was kicked off by a college "All-Star" game where the best college players faced the defending NFL Champs.

    That ended after a projected all-world TE blew out a knee. IIRC it was Russ Francis, but I am not sure.

  • Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    If it was the Browns who had the ability to rest the starters, we would be all for it. 

    If Derek Anderson didn't throw 400 interceptions in the game against the Bengals late in the season, the Colts game wouldn't have mattered.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Even college players pull themselves out of bowl games now......sacrilegious! 

    ... and once upon a time the NFL preseason was kicked off by a college "All-Star" game where the best college players faced the defending NFL Champs.

    That ended after a projected all-world TE blew out a knee. IIRC it was Russ Francis, but I am not sure.

    @tour2ma said:

    ... and once upon a time the NFL preseason was kicked off by a college "All-Star" game where the best college players faced the defending NFL Champs.

    That ended after a projected all-world TE blew out a knee. IIRC it was Russ Francis, but I am not sure.

    Oh yeah! I remember once way back in preseason  a star starting QB blew out a knee tackling a DB who just picked him off and was going for a TD in a totally meaningless game......many "preseason protocals" started changing after that game. And that was before they were paying them fortune. 

  • @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    If it was the Browns who had the ability to rest the starters, we would be all for it. 

    If Derek Anderson didn't throw 400 interceptions in the game against the Bengals late in the season, the Colts game wouldn't have mattered.

    @mark-o said:

    If it was the Browns who had the ability to rest the starters, we would be all for it. 

    If Derek Anderson didn't throw 400 interceptions in the game against the Bengals late in the season, the Colts game wouldn't have mattered.

    I remember that Bengals game , yeah DA had a bad case of picks. 

    I don't agree with resting starters for a whole game like Dungy did. 

    Ask Tomlin about resting starters vs Cle in week 17 this year. I bet when it was 28-7 Jax, he wished he had a mulligan.

  • Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    He has been inducted into the HOF as a coach.   I always have thought he was overrated.  He got in because he is AA....imo.

  • @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    He has been inducted into the HOF as a coach.   I always have thought he was overrated.  He got in because he is AA....imo.

    @the-gipper said:

    He has been inducted into the HOF as a coach.   I always have thought he was overrated.  He got in because he is AA....imo.

    I don't know if race has anything to do with it. He was pretty solid in Tampa Bay. With the Colts, he had trouble vs NE, SD, and Pitt. Finally got over the hump and won the AN, but it may have been the season Matt Cassell had to QB the Patriots.

  • @the-gipper said:

    He has been inducted into the HOF as a coach.   I always have thought he was overrated.  He got in because he is AA....imo.

    I don't know if race has anything to do with it. He was pretty solid in Tampa Bay. With the Colts, he had trouble vs NE, SD, and Pitt. Finally got over the hump and won the AN, but it may have been the season Matt Cassell had to QB the Patriots.

    @bob806 said:

    I don't know if race has anything to do with it. He was pretty solid in Tampa Bay. With the Colts, he had trouble vs NE, SD, and Pitt. Finally got over the hump and won the AN, but it may have been the season Matt Cassell had to QB the Patriots.

    He won the one Super Bowl in 2006.  His team played in just one other AFC title game...losing to Pats/Brady in 2003.  He did take the Bucs to NfC title game in  1999.    He has a 139-69 career record.   He had Peyton Manning for most of his tenure.  

    Sorry...but several others have had equal or better records that are not in:

    Tom Flores.....2 SB titles.  83/53 with Raiders.   (though a few years with Seattle reduced his winning pct. to  97/87) And he and Ron Rivera...I believe, are the only 2 Hispanics to coach teams to a Super Bowl. 

    George Seifert.....114-62.  Won 2 Super Bowls.  Coached in 5 other NFC Championship games.

    Jimmy Johnson....won 2 Super Bowls. 

    Mike Holmgren...161-111 as HC with 2 teams.   Won 1 SB...took the other to SB. 

    Mike Shanahan...170-138.  2 Super Bowl wins...Also had another AFC title game.

    finger Vermeil.....took 3 different teams to Conf. title games.   Took 2 to Super Bowl...won one. 

    Bill Cowher...149-90  (a lot with the likes of Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart).  Won a Super Bowl.  Lost another.  Lost in 4 other AFC title games. 

    Dan Reeves....took 2 teams to 4 Super Bowls.....lost them all yes...but he got them there.  190-165.  Also lost 2 other Conf. title games.

    I think all of the above have equal or better credentials than Dungy.  

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.  

    (now, I am a liberal person....but I am just reciting actual facts here)

  • @bob806 said:

    I don't know if race has anything to do with it. He was pretty solid in Tampa Bay. With the Colts, he had trouble vs NE, SD, and Pitt. Finally got over the hump and won the AN, but it may have been the season Matt Cassell had to QB the Patriots.

    He won the one Super Bowl in 2006.  His team played in just one other AFC title game...losing to Pats/Brady in 2003.  He did take the Bucs to NfC title game in  1999.    He has a 139-69 career record.   He had Peyton Manning for most of his tenure.  

    Sorry...but several others have had equal or better records that are not in:

    Tom Flores.....2 SB titles.  83/53 with Raiders.   (though a few years with Seattle reduced his winning pct. to  97/87) And he and Ron Rivera...I believe, are the only 2 Hispanics to coach teams to a Super Bowl. 

    George Seifert.....114-62.  Won 2 Super Bowls.  Coached in 5 other NFC Championship games.

    Jimmy Johnson....won 2 Super Bowls. 

    Mike Holmgren...161-111 as HC with 2 teams.   Won 1 SB...took the other to SB. 

    Mike Shanahan...170-138.  2 Super Bowl wins...Also had another AFC title game.

    finger Vermeil.....took 3 different teams to Conf. title games.   Took 2 to Super Bowl...won one. 

    Bill Cowher...149-90  (a lot with the likes of Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart).  Won a Super Bowl.  Lost another.  Lost in 4 other AFC title games. 

    Dan Reeves....took 2 teams to 4 Super Bowls.....lost them all yes...but he got them there.  190-165.  Also lost 2 other Conf. title games.

    I think all of the above have equal or better credentials than Dungy.  

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.  

    (now, I am a liberal person....but I am just reciting actual facts here)

    @the-gipper said:

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.

    Poorer win percentages?

    I can tell at a glance Dungy is the only one over .667.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Back when lineman were 190 lbs, right?

    lol... more like 235, but definitely lighter.

    Used to play NFL Head Coach... during play mode changes it threw up quotes by some of te game's great HCs including the Paul Brown quote in my sig.

    One of teh other ones was from Chuck Noll. It read:

    "Some coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 270 lb. tackles. They'll make me wise."

    Times change...

    @tour2ma said:

    lol... more like 235, but definitely lighter.

    Used to play NFL Head Coach... during play mode changes it threw up quotes by some of te game's great HCs including the Paul Brown quote in my sig.

    One of teh other ones was from Chuck Noll. It read:

    "Some coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 270 lb. tackles. They'll make me wise."

    Times change...

    Head Coach was a great game

  • @bob806 said:

    I don't know if race has anything to do with it. He was pretty solid in Tampa Bay. With the Colts, he had trouble vs NE, SD, and Pitt. Finally got over the hump and won the AN, but it may have been the season Matt Cassell had to QB the Patriots.

    He won the one Super Bowl in 2006.  His team played in just one other AFC title game...losing to Pats/Brady in 2003.  He did take the Bucs to NfC title game in  1999.    He has a 139-69 career record.   He had Peyton Manning for most of his tenure.  

    Sorry...but several others have had equal or better records that are not in:

    Tom Flores.....2 SB titles.  83/53 with Raiders.   (though a few years with Seattle reduced his winning pct. to  97/87) And he and Ron Rivera...I believe, are the only 2 Hispanics to coach teams to a Super Bowl. 

    George Seifert.....114-62.  Won 2 Super Bowls.  Coached in 5 other NFC Championship games.

    Jimmy Johnson....won 2 Super Bowls. 

    Mike Holmgren...161-111 as HC with 2 teams.   Won 1 SB...took the other to SB. 

    Mike Shanahan...170-138.  2 Super Bowl wins...Also had another AFC title game.

    finger Vermeil.....took 3 different teams to Conf. title games.   Took 2 to Super Bowl...won one. 

    Bill Cowher...149-90  (a lot with the likes of Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart).  Won a Super Bowl.  Lost another.  Lost in 4 other AFC title games. 

    Dan Reeves....took 2 teams to 4 Super Bowls.....lost them all yes...but he got them there.  190-165.  Also lost 2 other Conf. title games.

    I think all of the above have equal or better credentials than Dungy.  

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.  

    (now, I am a liberal person....but I am just reciting actual facts here)

    @the-gipper said:

    He won the one Super Bowl in 2006.  His team played in just one other AFC title game...losing to Pats/Brady in 2003.  He did take the Bucs to NfC title game in  1999.    He has a 139-69 career record.   He had Peyton Manning for most of his tenure.  

    Sorry...but several others have had equal or better records that are not in:

    Tom Flores.....2 SB titles.  83/53 with Raiders.   (though a few years with Seattle reduced his winning pct. to  97/87) And he and Ron Rivera...I believe, are the only 2 Hispanics to coach teams to a Super Bowl. 

    George Seifert.....114-62.  Won 2 Super Bowls.  Coached in 5 other NFC Championship games. He'll never get in due to the Bill Walsh perception, IMHO.

    Jimmy Johnson....won 2 Super Bowls. 

    Mike Holmgren...161-111 as HC with 2 teams.   Won 1 SB...took the other to SB. Took $5 million from Cle and many naps.

    Mike Shanahan...170-138.  2 Super Bowl wins...Also had another AFC title game.

    finger Vermeil.....took 3 different teams to Conf. title games.   Took 2 to Super Bowl...won one. 

    Bill Cowher...149-90  (a lot with the likes of Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart).  Won a Super Bowl.  Lost another.  Lost in 4 other AFC title games. Bought a house in Strongsville;lost several AFC Title games on his home field. Great motivator for sure, great head coach, not so sure.

    Dan Reeves....took 2 teams to 4 Super Bowls.....lost them all yes...but he got them there.  190-165.  Also lost 2 other Conf. title games.

    I think all of the above have equal or better credentials than Dungy.  

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.  

    (now, I am a liberal person....but I am just reciting actual facts here)

    You may have a point, but Dungy was wellrespected as a player too. He was a Free Safety, and a 3rd string QB for Pitt at one time.