Skip to content

Dungy calls Browns the greatest dynasty ever...

The Browns Board
42 12 1.1k
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @ghoolie said:

    SO now you jackoffs like the Steelers.

    Fukcking idiots.

    No.  Again, are you drunk?  Are you having a stroke?  Liking the Steelers....and acknowledging  and accounting for their success just are not the same.

    Besides....as I noted....that particular dynasty does NOT match up to the extended dynasties of the Browns,  49ers, Cowboys, Patriots.  

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Back when lineman were 190 lbs, right?

  • Back when lineman were 190 lbs, right?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @mld-woody said:

    Back when lineman were 190 lbs, right?

    Don't be stupid. Do some research...and you will find that linemen were always big enough....until about the mid 80s when steroids and nutrition came into play.

    E.g.  Mike Webster played at about 250 lbs.   Frank Gatski was about the same.   Today they push 300 lbs. 

    In fact...size/weight wise....there are only 3 situations that are appreciably different from like the 40s/50s/60 to today.

    Offensive Linemen...and interior DL....have put on weight. DT   "Fatso" Art Donovan played at about 265....in the 50s.  Today....they play heavier.

     Defensive ends have not at all.  DE  Dough Atkins...who started play in 1952...was 6'8  260.  Deacon Jones:  6'5 272...which is almost exactly the same as Garrett, no?

    And QBs have gotten about an inch taller on average.

    There is no difference at all in LBs, WRs, DBs.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #9
  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #10

    I would think you'd be all about the 1950s football Woody, that was about the last time TTUN was relevant, right? 😉

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @mld-woody said:

    And let's see what the data says...

    https://deadspin.com/how-have-the-weights-of-nfl-positions-changed-over-time-1545701731

    It says what I said....OL and DTs have put on weight.  QBs have gotten taller.  (they have also put on a bit of weight just by virtue of being taller/bigger).

  • Back when lineman were 190 lbs, right?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @mld-woody said:

    Back when lineman were 190 lbs, right?

    lol... more like 235, but definitely lighter.

    Used to play NFL Head Coach... during play mode changes it threw up quotes by some of te game's great HCs including the Paul Brown quote in my sig.

    One of teh other ones was from Chuck Noll. It read:

    "Some coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 270 lb. tackles. They'll make me wise."

    Times change...

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

  • Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    That is the business of professional (and somewhat even college) football now, don't risk your big stars in meaningless games preseason or the end of the regular season, too bad if the fans don't like it.

    Even college players pull themselves out of bowl games now......sacrilegious! 

  • @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    That is the business of professional (and somewhat even college) football now, don't risk your big stars in meaningless games preseason or the end of the regular season, too bad if the fans don't like it.

    Even college players pull themselves out of bowl games now......sacrilegious! 

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @mjp28 said:

    Even college players pull themselves out of bowl games now......sacrilegious! 

    ... and once upon a time the NFL preseason was kicked off by a college "All-Star" game where the best college players faced the defending NFL Champs.

    That ended after a projected all-world TE blew out a knee. IIRC it was Russ Francis, but I am not sure.

  • Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    If it was the Browns who had the ability to rest the starters, we would be all for it. 

    If Derek Anderson didn't throw 400 interceptions in the game against the Bengals late in the season, the Colts game wouldn't have mattered.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Even college players pull themselves out of bowl games now......sacrilegious! 

    ... and once upon a time the NFL preseason was kicked off by a college "All-Star" game where the best college players faced the defending NFL Champs.

    That ended after a projected all-world TE blew out a knee. IIRC it was Russ Francis, but I am not sure.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @tour2ma said:

    ... and once upon a time the NFL preseason was kicked off by a college "All-Star" game where the best college players faced the defending NFL Champs.

    That ended after a projected all-world TE blew out a knee. IIRC it was Russ Francis, but I am not sure.

    Oh yeah! I remember once way back in preseason  a star starting QB blew out a knee tackling a DB who just picked him off and was going for a TD in a totally meaningless game......many "preseason protocals" started changing after that game. And that was before they were paying them fortune. 

  • @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    If it was the Browns who had the ability to rest the starters, we would be all for it. 

    If Derek Anderson didn't throw 400 interceptions in the game against the Bengals late in the season, the Colts game wouldn't have mattered.

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @mark-o said:

    If it was the Browns who had the ability to rest the starters, we would be all for it. 

    If Derek Anderson didn't throw 400 interceptions in the game against the Bengals late in the season, the Colts game wouldn't have mattered.

    I remember that Bengals game , yeah DA had a bad case of picks. 

    I don't agree with resting starters for a whole game like Dungy did. 

    Ask Tomlin about resting starters vs Cle in week 17 this year. I bet when it was 28-7 Jax, he wished he had a mulligan.

  • Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    He has been inducted into the HOF as a coach.   I always have thought he was overrated.  He got in because he is AA....imo.

  • @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    He has been inducted into the HOF as a coach.   I always have thought he was overrated.  He got in because he is AA....imo.

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @the-gipper said:

    He has been inducted into the HOF as a coach.   I always have thought he was overrated.  He got in because he is AA....imo.

    I don't know if race has anything to do with it. He was pretty solid in Tampa Bay. With the Colts, he had trouble vs NE, SD, and Pitt. Finally got over the hump and won the AN, but it may have been the season Matt Cassell had to QB the Patriots.

  • @the-gipper said:

    He has been inducted into the HOF as a coach.   I always have thought he was overrated.  He got in because he is AA....imo.

    I don't know if race has anything to do with it. He was pretty solid in Tampa Bay. With the Colts, he had trouble vs NE, SD, and Pitt. Finally got over the hump and won the AN, but it may have been the season Matt Cassell had to QB the Patriots.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @bob806 said:

    I don't know if race has anything to do with it. He was pretty solid in Tampa Bay. With the Colts, he had trouble vs NE, SD, and Pitt. Finally got over the hump and won the AN, but it may have been the season Matt Cassell had to QB the Patriots.

    He won the one Super Bowl in 2006.  His team played in just one other AFC title game...losing to Pats/Brady in 2003.  He did take the Bucs to NfC title game in  1999.    He has a 139-69 career record.   He had Peyton Manning for most of his tenure.  

    Sorry...but several others have had equal or better records that are not in:

    Tom Flores.....2 SB titles.  83/53 with Raiders.   (though a few years with Seattle reduced his winning pct. to  97/87) And he and Ron Rivera...I believe, are the only 2 Hispanics to coach teams to a Super Bowl. 

    George Seifert.....114-62.  Won 2 Super Bowls.  Coached in 5 other NFC Championship games.

    Jimmy Johnson....won 2 Super Bowls. 

    Mike Holmgren...161-111 as HC with 2 teams.   Won 1 SB...took the other to SB. 

    Mike Shanahan...170-138.  2 Super Bowl wins...Also had another AFC title game.

    finger Vermeil.....took 3 different teams to Conf. title games.   Took 2 to Super Bowl...won one. 

    Bill Cowher...149-90  (a lot with the likes of Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart).  Won a Super Bowl.  Lost another.  Lost in 4 other AFC title games. 

    Dan Reeves....took 2 teams to 4 Super Bowls.....lost them all yes...but he got them there.  190-165.  Also lost 2 other Conf. title games.

    I think all of the above have equal or better credentials than Dungy.  

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.  

    (now, I am a liberal person....but I am just reciting actual facts here)

  • @bob806 said:

    I don't know if race has anything to do with it. He was pretty solid in Tampa Bay. With the Colts, he had trouble vs NE, SD, and Pitt. Finally got over the hump and won the AN, but it may have been the season Matt Cassell had to QB the Patriots.

    He won the one Super Bowl in 2006.  His team played in just one other AFC title game...losing to Pats/Brady in 2003.  He did take the Bucs to NfC title game in  1999.    He has a 139-69 career record.   He had Peyton Manning for most of his tenure.  

    Sorry...but several others have had equal or better records that are not in:

    Tom Flores.....2 SB titles.  83/53 with Raiders.   (though a few years with Seattle reduced his winning pct. to  97/87) And he and Ron Rivera...I believe, are the only 2 Hispanics to coach teams to a Super Bowl. 

    George Seifert.....114-62.  Won 2 Super Bowls.  Coached in 5 other NFC Championship games.

    Jimmy Johnson....won 2 Super Bowls. 

    Mike Holmgren...161-111 as HC with 2 teams.   Won 1 SB...took the other to SB. 

    Mike Shanahan...170-138.  2 Super Bowl wins...Also had another AFC title game.

    finger Vermeil.....took 3 different teams to Conf. title games.   Took 2 to Super Bowl...won one. 

    Bill Cowher...149-90  (a lot with the likes of Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart).  Won a Super Bowl.  Lost another.  Lost in 4 other AFC title games. 

    Dan Reeves....took 2 teams to 4 Super Bowls.....lost them all yes...but he got them there.  190-165.  Also lost 2 other Conf. title games.

    I think all of the above have equal or better credentials than Dungy.  

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.  

    (now, I am a liberal person....but I am just reciting actual facts here)

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @the-gipper said:

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.

    Poorer win percentages?

    I can tell at a glance Dungy is the only one over .667.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Back when lineman were 190 lbs, right?

    lol... more like 235, but definitely lighter.

    Used to play NFL Head Coach... during play mode changes it threw up quotes by some of te game's great HCs including the Paul Brown quote in my sig.

    One of teh other ones was from Chuck Noll. It read:

    "Some coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 270 lb. tackles. They'll make me wise."

    Times change...

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @tour2ma said:

    lol... more like 235, but definitely lighter.

    Used to play NFL Head Coach... during play mode changes it threw up quotes by some of te game's great HCs including the Paul Brown quote in my sig.

    One of teh other ones was from Chuck Noll. It read:

    "Some coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 270 lb. tackles. They'll make me wise."

    Times change...

    Head Coach was a great game

  • @bob806 said:

    I don't know if race has anything to do with it. He was pretty solid in Tampa Bay. With the Colts, he had trouble vs NE, SD, and Pitt. Finally got over the hump and won the AN, but it may have been the season Matt Cassell had to QB the Patriots.

    He won the one Super Bowl in 2006.  His team played in just one other AFC title game...losing to Pats/Brady in 2003.  He did take the Bucs to NfC title game in  1999.    He has a 139-69 career record.   He had Peyton Manning for most of his tenure.  

    Sorry...but several others have had equal or better records that are not in:

    Tom Flores.....2 SB titles.  83/53 with Raiders.   (though a few years with Seattle reduced his winning pct. to  97/87) And he and Ron Rivera...I believe, are the only 2 Hispanics to coach teams to a Super Bowl. 

    George Seifert.....114-62.  Won 2 Super Bowls.  Coached in 5 other NFC Championship games.

    Jimmy Johnson....won 2 Super Bowls. 

    Mike Holmgren...161-111 as HC with 2 teams.   Won 1 SB...took the other to SB. 

    Mike Shanahan...170-138.  2 Super Bowl wins...Also had another AFC title game.

    finger Vermeil.....took 3 different teams to Conf. title games.   Took 2 to Super Bowl...won one. 

    Bill Cowher...149-90  (a lot with the likes of Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart).  Won a Super Bowl.  Lost another.  Lost in 4 other AFC title games. 

    Dan Reeves....took 2 teams to 4 Super Bowls.....lost them all yes...but he got them there.  190-165.  Also lost 2 other Conf. title games.

    I think all of the above have equal or better credentials than Dungy.  

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.  

    (now, I am a liberal person....but I am just reciting actual facts here)

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @the-gipper said:

    He won the one Super Bowl in 2006.  His team played in just one other AFC title game...losing to Pats/Brady in 2003.  He did take the Bucs to NfC title game in  1999.    He has a 139-69 career record.   He had Peyton Manning for most of his tenure.  

    Sorry...but several others have had equal or better records that are not in:

    Tom Flores.....2 SB titles.  83/53 with Raiders.   (though a few years with Seattle reduced his winning pct. to  97/87) And he and Ron Rivera...I believe, are the only 2 Hispanics to coach teams to a Super Bowl. 

    George Seifert.....114-62.  Won 2 Super Bowls.  Coached in 5 other NFC Championship games. He'll never get in due to the Bill Walsh perception, IMHO.

    Jimmy Johnson....won 2 Super Bowls. 

    Mike Holmgren...161-111 as HC with 2 teams.   Won 1 SB...took the other to SB. Took $5 million from Cle and many naps.

    Mike Shanahan...170-138.  2 Super Bowl wins...Also had another AFC title game.

    finger Vermeil.....took 3 different teams to Conf. title games.   Took 2 to Super Bowl...won one. 

    Bill Cowher...149-90  (a lot with the likes of Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart).  Won a Super Bowl.  Lost another.  Lost in 4 other AFC title games. Bought a house in Strongsville;lost several AFC Title games on his home field. Great motivator for sure, great head coach, not so sure.

    Dan Reeves....took 2 teams to 4 Super Bowls.....lost them all yes...but he got them there.  190-165.  Also lost 2 other Conf. title games.

    I think all of the above have equal or better credentials than Dungy.  

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.  

    (now, I am a liberal person....but I am just reciting actual facts here)

    You may have a point, but Dungy was wellrespected as a player too. He was a Free Safety, and a 3rd string QB for Pitt at one time.

  • @the-gipper said:

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.

    Poorer win percentages?

    I can tell at a glance Dungy is the only one over .667.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @tour2ma said:

    Poorer win percentages?

    I can tell at a glance Dungy is the only one over .667.

    Incrementally better.   (and he had Peyton).    And not as many chases at the title (in terms of SB/conf. title appearances) as some of them.