Skip to content

Dungy calls Browns the greatest dynasty ever...

The Browns Board
42 12 1.1k
  • Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    That is the business of professional (and somewhat even college) football now, don't risk your big stars in meaningless games preseason or the end of the regular season, too bad if the fans don't like it.

    Even college players pull themselves out of bowl games now......sacrilegious! 

  • @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    That is the business of professional (and somewhat even college) football now, don't risk your big stars in meaningless games preseason or the end of the regular season, too bad if the fans don't like it.

    Even college players pull themselves out of bowl games now......sacrilegious! 

    @mjp28 said:

    Even college players pull themselves out of bowl games now......sacrilegious! 

    ... and once upon a time the NFL preseason was kicked off by a college "All-Star" game where the best college players faced the defending NFL Champs.

    That ended after a projected all-world TE blew out a knee. IIRC it was Russ Francis, but I am not sure.

  • Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    If it was the Browns who had the ability to rest the starters, we would be all for it. 

    If Derek Anderson didn't throw 400 interceptions in the game against the Bengals late in the season, the Colts game wouldn't have mattered.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Even college players pull themselves out of bowl games now......sacrilegious! 

    ... and once upon a time the NFL preseason was kicked off by a college "All-Star" game where the best college players faced the defending NFL Champs.

    That ended after a projected all-world TE blew out a knee. IIRC it was Russ Francis, but I am not sure.

    @tour2ma said:

    ... and once upon a time the NFL preseason was kicked off by a college "All-Star" game where the best college players faced the defending NFL Champs.

    That ended after a projected all-world TE blew out a knee. IIRC it was Russ Francis, but I am not sure.

    Oh yeah! I remember once way back in preseason  a star starting QB blew out a knee tackling a DB who just picked him off and was going for a TD in a totally meaningless game......many "preseason protocals" started changing after that game. And that was before they were paying them fortune. 

  • @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    If it was the Browns who had the ability to rest the starters, we would be all for it. 

    If Derek Anderson didn't throw 400 interceptions in the game against the Bengals late in the season, the Colts game wouldn't have mattered.

    @mark-o said:

    If it was the Browns who had the ability to rest the starters, we would be all for it. 

    If Derek Anderson didn't throw 400 interceptions in the game against the Bengals late in the season, the Colts game wouldn't have mattered.

    I remember that Bengals game , yeah DA had a bad case of picks. 

    I don't agree with resting starters for a whole game like Dungy did. 

    Ask Tomlin about resting starters vs Cle in week 17 this year. I bet when it was 28-7 Jax, he wished he had a mulligan.

  • Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    He has been inducted into the HOF as a coach.   I always have thought he was overrated.  He got in because he is AA....imo.

  • @bob806 said:

    Dungy rested his regulars in final game of 2007, Colts lost to the Titans, Titans gain tiebreaker over the Browns and make playoffs.

     The Colts went on to lose to SD in the playoffs. I lost respect for the guy after that crap. 

    He has been inducted into the HOF as a coach.   I always have thought he was overrated.  He got in because he is AA....imo.

    @the-gipper said:

    He has been inducted into the HOF as a coach.   I always have thought he was overrated.  He got in because he is AA....imo.

    I don't know if race has anything to do with it. He was pretty solid in Tampa Bay. With the Colts, he had trouble vs NE, SD, and Pitt. Finally got over the hump and won the AN, but it may have been the season Matt Cassell had to QB the Patriots.

  • @the-gipper said:

    He has been inducted into the HOF as a coach.   I always have thought he was overrated.  He got in because he is AA....imo.

    I don't know if race has anything to do with it. He was pretty solid in Tampa Bay. With the Colts, he had trouble vs NE, SD, and Pitt. Finally got over the hump and won the AN, but it may have been the season Matt Cassell had to QB the Patriots.

    @bob806 said:

    I don't know if race has anything to do with it. He was pretty solid in Tampa Bay. With the Colts, he had trouble vs NE, SD, and Pitt. Finally got over the hump and won the AN, but it may have been the season Matt Cassell had to QB the Patriots.

    He won the one Super Bowl in 2006.  His team played in just one other AFC title game...losing to Pats/Brady in 2003.  He did take the Bucs to NfC title game in  1999.    He has a 139-69 career record.   He had Peyton Manning for most of his tenure.  

    Sorry...but several others have had equal or better records that are not in:

    Tom Flores.....2 SB titles.  83/53 with Raiders.   (though a few years with Seattle reduced his winning pct. to  97/87) And he and Ron Rivera...I believe, are the only 2 Hispanics to coach teams to a Super Bowl. 

    George Seifert.....114-62.  Won 2 Super Bowls.  Coached in 5 other NFC Championship games.

    Jimmy Johnson....won 2 Super Bowls. 

    Mike Holmgren...161-111 as HC with 2 teams.   Won 1 SB...took the other to SB. 

    Mike Shanahan...170-138.  2 Super Bowl wins...Also had another AFC title game.

    finger Vermeil.....took 3 different teams to Conf. title games.   Took 2 to Super Bowl...won one. 

    Bill Cowher...149-90  (a lot with the likes of Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart).  Won a Super Bowl.  Lost another.  Lost in 4 other AFC title games. 

    Dan Reeves....took 2 teams to 4 Super Bowls.....lost them all yes...but he got them there.  190-165.  Also lost 2 other Conf. title games.

    I think all of the above have equal or better credentials than Dungy.  

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.  

    (now, I am a liberal person....but I am just reciting actual facts here)

  • @bob806 said:

    I don't know if race has anything to do with it. He was pretty solid in Tampa Bay. With the Colts, he had trouble vs NE, SD, and Pitt. Finally got over the hump and won the AN, but it may have been the season Matt Cassell had to QB the Patriots.

    He won the one Super Bowl in 2006.  His team played in just one other AFC title game...losing to Pats/Brady in 2003.  He did take the Bucs to NfC title game in  1999.    He has a 139-69 career record.   He had Peyton Manning for most of his tenure.  

    Sorry...but several others have had equal or better records that are not in:

    Tom Flores.....2 SB titles.  83/53 with Raiders.   (though a few years with Seattle reduced his winning pct. to  97/87) And he and Ron Rivera...I believe, are the only 2 Hispanics to coach teams to a Super Bowl. 

    George Seifert.....114-62.  Won 2 Super Bowls.  Coached in 5 other NFC Championship games.

    Jimmy Johnson....won 2 Super Bowls. 

    Mike Holmgren...161-111 as HC with 2 teams.   Won 1 SB...took the other to SB. 

    Mike Shanahan...170-138.  2 Super Bowl wins...Also had another AFC title game.

    finger Vermeil.....took 3 different teams to Conf. title games.   Took 2 to Super Bowl...won one. 

    Bill Cowher...149-90  (a lot with the likes of Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart).  Won a Super Bowl.  Lost another.  Lost in 4 other AFC title games. 

    Dan Reeves....took 2 teams to 4 Super Bowls.....lost them all yes...but he got them there.  190-165.  Also lost 2 other Conf. title games.

    I think all of the above have equal or better credentials than Dungy.  

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.  

    (now, I am a liberal person....but I am just reciting actual facts here)

    @the-gipper said:

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.

    Poorer win percentages?

    I can tell at a glance Dungy is the only one over .667.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Back when lineman were 190 lbs, right?

    lol... more like 235, but definitely lighter.

    Used to play NFL Head Coach... during play mode changes it threw up quotes by some of te game's great HCs including the Paul Brown quote in my sig.

    One of teh other ones was from Chuck Noll. It read:

    "Some coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 270 lb. tackles. They'll make me wise."

    Times change...

    @tour2ma said:

    lol... more like 235, but definitely lighter.

    Used to play NFL Head Coach... during play mode changes it threw up quotes by some of te game's great HCs including the Paul Brown quote in my sig.

    One of teh other ones was from Chuck Noll. It read:

    "Some coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 270 lb. tackles. They'll make me wise."

    Times change...

    Head Coach was a great game

  • @bob806 said:

    I don't know if race has anything to do with it. He was pretty solid in Tampa Bay. With the Colts, he had trouble vs NE, SD, and Pitt. Finally got over the hump and won the AN, but it may have been the season Matt Cassell had to QB the Patriots.

    He won the one Super Bowl in 2006.  His team played in just one other AFC title game...losing to Pats/Brady in 2003.  He did take the Bucs to NfC title game in  1999.    He has a 139-69 career record.   He had Peyton Manning for most of his tenure.  

    Sorry...but several others have had equal or better records that are not in:

    Tom Flores.....2 SB titles.  83/53 with Raiders.   (though a few years with Seattle reduced his winning pct. to  97/87) And he and Ron Rivera...I believe, are the only 2 Hispanics to coach teams to a Super Bowl. 

    George Seifert.....114-62.  Won 2 Super Bowls.  Coached in 5 other NFC Championship games.

    Jimmy Johnson....won 2 Super Bowls. 

    Mike Holmgren...161-111 as HC with 2 teams.   Won 1 SB...took the other to SB. 

    Mike Shanahan...170-138.  2 Super Bowl wins...Also had another AFC title game.

    finger Vermeil.....took 3 different teams to Conf. title games.   Took 2 to Super Bowl...won one. 

    Bill Cowher...149-90  (a lot with the likes of Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart).  Won a Super Bowl.  Lost another.  Lost in 4 other AFC title games. 

    Dan Reeves....took 2 teams to 4 Super Bowls.....lost them all yes...but he got them there.  190-165.  Also lost 2 other Conf. title games.

    I think all of the above have equal or better credentials than Dungy.  

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.  

    (now, I am a liberal person....but I am just reciting actual facts here)

    @the-gipper said:

    He won the one Super Bowl in 2006.  His team played in just one other AFC title game...losing to Pats/Brady in 2003.  He did take the Bucs to NfC title game in  1999.    He has a 139-69 career record.   He had Peyton Manning for most of his tenure.  

    Sorry...but several others have had equal or better records that are not in:

    Tom Flores.....2 SB titles.  83/53 with Raiders.   (though a few years with Seattle reduced his winning pct. to  97/87) And he and Ron Rivera...I believe, are the only 2 Hispanics to coach teams to a Super Bowl. 

    George Seifert.....114-62.  Won 2 Super Bowls.  Coached in 5 other NFC Championship games. He'll never get in due to the Bill Walsh perception, IMHO.

    Jimmy Johnson....won 2 Super Bowls. 

    Mike Holmgren...161-111 as HC with 2 teams.   Won 1 SB...took the other to SB. Took $5 million from Cle and many naps.

    Mike Shanahan...170-138.  2 Super Bowl wins...Also had another AFC title game.

    finger Vermeil.....took 3 different teams to Conf. title games.   Took 2 to Super Bowl...won one. 

    Bill Cowher...149-90  (a lot with the likes of Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart).  Won a Super Bowl.  Lost another.  Lost in 4 other AFC title games. Bought a house in Strongsville;lost several AFC Title games on his home field. Great motivator for sure, great head coach, not so sure.

    Dan Reeves....took 2 teams to 4 Super Bowls.....lost them all yes...but he got them there.  190-165.  Also lost 2 other Conf. title games.

    I think all of the above have equal or better credentials than Dungy.  

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.  

    (now, I am a liberal person....but I am just reciting actual facts here)

    You may have a point, but Dungy was wellrespected as a player too. He was a Free Safety, and a 3rd string QB for Pitt at one time.

  • @the-gipper said:

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.

    Poorer win percentages?

    I can tell at a glance Dungy is the only one over .667.

    @tour2ma said:

    Poorer win percentages?

    I can tell at a glance Dungy is the only one over .667.

    Incrementally better.   (and he had Peyton).    And not as many chases at the title (in terms of SB/conf. title appearances) as some of them.

  • @the-gipper said:

    He won the one Super Bowl in 2006.  His team played in just one other AFC title game...losing to Pats/Brady in 2003.  He did take the Bucs to NfC title game in  1999.    He has a 139-69 career record.   He had Peyton Manning for most of his tenure.  

    Sorry...but several others have had equal or better records that are not in:

    Tom Flores.....2 SB titles.  83/53 with Raiders.   (though a few years with Seattle reduced his winning pct. to  97/87) And he and Ron Rivera...I believe, are the only 2 Hispanics to coach teams to a Super Bowl. 

    George Seifert.....114-62.  Won 2 Super Bowls.  Coached in 5 other NFC Championship games. He'll never get in due to the Bill Walsh perception, IMHO.

    Jimmy Johnson....won 2 Super Bowls. 

    Mike Holmgren...161-111 as HC with 2 teams.   Won 1 SB...took the other to SB. Took $5 million from Cle and many naps.

    Mike Shanahan...170-138.  2 Super Bowl wins...Also had another AFC title game.

    finger Vermeil.....took 3 different teams to Conf. title games.   Took 2 to Super Bowl...won one. 

    Bill Cowher...149-90  (a lot with the likes of Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart).  Won a Super Bowl.  Lost another.  Lost in 4 other AFC title games. Bought a house in Strongsville;lost several AFC Title games on his home field. Great motivator for sure, great head coach, not so sure.

    Dan Reeves....took 2 teams to 4 Super Bowls.....lost them all yes...but he got them there.  190-165.  Also lost 2 other Conf. title games.

    I think all of the above have equal or better credentials than Dungy.  

    But what do they got that Dungy ain't got?  You figure it out.  

    (now, I am a liberal person....but I am just reciting actual facts here)

    You may have a point, but Dungy was wellrespected as a player too. He was a Free Safety, and a 3rd string QB for Pitt at one time.

    @bob806 said:

    You may have a point, but Dungy was wellrespected as a player too. He was a Free Safety, and a 3rd string QB for Pitt at one time.

    He is well liked and respected.  Notwithstanding "race"....I think that helped him.

  • @tour2ma said:

    lol... more like 235, but definitely lighter.

    Used to play NFL Head Coach... during play mode changes it threw up quotes by some of te game's great HCs including the Paul Brown quote in my sig.

    One of teh other ones was from Chuck Noll. It read:

    "Some coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 270 lb. tackles. They'll make me wise."

    Times change...

    Head Coach was a great game

    @mld-woody said:

    Head Coach was a great game

    Yes, it was except for the Seahawk glitch and how amazingly stupid the AI GMs got over time... There were teams out in seasons 6+ that would have 7 OTs on their roster.

    Nonetheless the HC mode features in Madden have been disappointing.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Poorer win percentages?

    I can tell at a glance Dungy is the only one over .667.

    Incrementally better.   (and he had Peyton).    And not as many chases at the title (in terms of SB/conf. title appearances) as some of them.

    @the-gipper said:

    Incrementally better.   (and he had Peyton).    And not as many chases at the title (in terms of SB/conf. title appearances) as some of them.

    Most great NFL coaches had very good to great QBs... Brown had Graham, Lombardi had Starr, Landry had Meredith and Staubach, Noll had Bradshaw, Walsh had Montana, Jackson had Hogan.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Head Coach was a great game

    Yes, it was except for the Seahawk glitch and how amazingly stupid the AI GMs got over time... There were teams out in seasons 6+ that would have 7 OTs on their roster.

    Nonetheless the HC mode features in Madden have been disappointing.

    @tour2ma said:

    Yes, it was except for the Seahawk glitch and how amazingly stupid the AI GMs got over time... There were teams out in seasons 6+ that would have 7 OTs on their roster.

    Nonetheless the HC mode features in Madden have been disappointing.

    They've said Madden 19 will be a big improvement on franchise. Hopefully it's true

  • @the-gipper said:

    Incrementally better.   (and he had Peyton).    And not as many chases at the title (in terms of SB/conf. title appearances) as some of them.

    Most great NFL coaches had very good to great QBs... Brown had Graham, Lombardi had Starr, Landry had Meredith and Staubach, Noll had Bradshaw, Walsh had Montana, Jackson had Hogan.

    @dutch-oven said:

    Most great NFL coaches had very good to great QBs... Brown had Graham, Lombardi had Starr, Landry had Meredith and Staubach, Noll had Bradshaw, Walsh had Montana, Jackson had Hogan.

    Belichick has Brady?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Incrementally better.   (and he had Peyton).    And not as many chases at the title (in terms of SB/conf. title appearances) as some of them.

    Most great NFL coaches had very good to great QBs... Brown had Graham, Lombardi had Starr, Landry had Meredith and Staubach, Noll had Bradshaw, Walsh had Montana, Jackson had Hogan.

    @dutch-oven said:

    ... Jackson had Hogan.

    LMAO...

    @mld-woody said:

    They've said Madden 19 will be a big improvement on franchise. Hopefully it's true

    Your lips to EA's ears. The closer they can get to Head Coach the better.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Most great NFL coaches had very good to great QBs... Brown had Graham, Lombardi had Starr, Landry had Meredith and Staubach, Noll had Bradshaw, Walsh had Montana, Jackson had Hogan.

    Belichick has Brady?

    @mjp28 said:

    Belichick has Brady?

    You know my position on that. 

    And why I have a growing respect for Joe Gibbs...as perhaps the best HC in history.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Belichick has Brady?

    You know my position on that. 

    And why I have a growing respect for Joe Gibbs...as perhaps the best HC in history.

    @the-gipper said:

    You know my position on that. 

    And why I have a growing respect for Joe Gibbs...as perhaps the best HC in history.

    I thought he was a NASCAR dude?