Skip to content

The Duke

The Browns Board
27 8 887
  • @nero said:

    Baseball is more popular than american football. In Pamplona there are 2 teams that I know of, and a friend of mine helped instauring kind of a farm system in one of them, which belongs to a highschool (but has a professional team).

    I have never tried buying an american football. I have an aunt in Austin who sent that ball as a present to my brother. In big cities it shouldn't be a problem, though. And there are many rugby teams everywhere so a rugby ball is easily found (idk how similar they really are, I'm not into rugby). 

    Anyway, either sports are minor in Spain. Football, basketball, hand ball, tennis or even motor sports could be considered in the top of the charts.

    I believe a rugby ball is shorter and fatter than an American football, so throwing it around would be tougher.

    American footballs 100 years ago probably resembled rugby balls now. It was streamlined to make it easier to throw.

    @dutch-oven said:

    I believe a rugby ball is shorter and fatter than an American football, so throwing it around would be tougher.

    American footballs 100 years ago probably resembled rugby balls now. It was streamlined to make it easier to throw.

    Footballs 100 years ago were not appreciably different than now:

    1920s-630px.jpg?1376954050

    Maybe 120 years ago or more they were...but not when the NFL/APFA  began. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I believe a rugby ball is shorter and fatter than an American football, so throwing it around would be tougher.

    American footballs 100 years ago probably resembled rugby balls now. It was streamlined to make it easier to throw.

    Footballs 100 years ago were not appreciably different than now:

    1920s-630px.jpg?1376954050

    Maybe 120 years ago or more they were...but not when the NFL/APFA  began. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Footballs 100 years ago were not appreciably different than now:

    1920s-630px.jpg?1376954050

    Maybe 120 years ago or more they were...but not when the NFL/APFA  began. 

    The present dimensions of a football did not come about until 1935... Had changed throughout the 1910s and 20s too....

    https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a240/1283226/

  • Football?  

    john-wayne-quote-stupid.jpg

  • Just buy another one. Or is this special in some way? Did I miss something?

    If it's from an actual game, just know that many people keep decorative footballs flat. 

  • Just buy another one. Or is this special in some way? Did I miss something?

    If it's from an actual game, just know that many people keep decorative footballs flat. 

    @wargograw said:

    Just buy another one. Or is this special in some way? Did I miss something?

    If it's from an actual game, just know that many people keep decorative footballs flat. 

    1. I don't want to spend any money. My economy is veeeery limited at the moment.

    2. I live in Spain, and in a not so big city. I don't know if I'll be able to buy anywhere in my city, plus I almost exclusively use it when I watch the SB.

  • Yes a shot of fix-a-flat will do the job....but the bikini fix sounds better and leave the football on the shelf at home with the official NFL Tom Brady deflated model. 😆

    @mjp28 said:

    ... the bikini fix sounds better...

    I cannot believe you failed to ask for pics for the cheerleader thread...

  • @mjp28 said:

    ... the bikini fix sounds better...

    I cannot believe you failed to ask for pics for the cheerleader thread...

    @tour2ma said:

    I cannot believe you failed to ask for pics for the cheerleader thread...

    Yeah, I'm practicing self restraint around you guys now........but maybe a super bowl special before the game, a 100% Grade A farm fresh nice girl next door type? Hmmmmmm.

  • @wargograw said:

    Just buy another one. Or is this special in some way? Did I miss something?

    If it's from an actual game, just know that many people keep decorative footballs flat. 

    1. I don't want to spend any money. My economy is veeeery limited at the moment.

    2. I live in Spain, and in a not so big city. I don't know if I'll be able to buy anywhere in my city, plus I almost exclusively use it when I watch the SB.

    @nero said:

    1. I don't want to spend any money. My economy is veeeery limited at the moment.

    2. I live in Spain, and in a not so big city. I don't know if I'll be able to buy anywhere in my city, plus I almost exclusively use it when I watch the SB.

    a......they have this thing called the internet.   And try ebay.   You do also have the equivalent of like Fedex or UPS there, no?

    B. Why would you need this football when you are watching the game?  Do you just toss it around?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Footballs 100 years ago were not appreciably different than now:

    1920s-630px.jpg?1376954050

    Maybe 120 years ago or more they were...but not when the NFL/APFA  began. 

    The present dimensions of a football did not come about until 1935... Had changed throughout the 1910s and 20s too....

    https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a240/1283226/

    @dutch-oven said:

    The present dimensions of a football did not come about until 1935... Had changed throughout the 1910s and 20s too....

    https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a240/1283226/

    Still...not a huge difference.....not like it said the "Watermelon" that was in use in earlier years.

  • @wargograw said:

    Just buy another one. Or is this special in some way? Did I miss something?

    If it's from an actual game, just know that many people keep decorative footballs flat. 

    1. I don't want to spend any money. My economy is veeeery limited at the moment.

    2. I live in Spain, and in a not so big city. I don't know if I'll be able to buy anywhere in my city, plus I almost exclusively use it when I watch the SB.

    @nero said:

    1. I don't want to spend any money. My economy is veeeery limited at the moment.

    2. I live in Spain, and in a not so big city. I don't know if I'll be able to buy anywhere in my city, plus I almost exclusively use it when I watch the SB.

    Can't be that much more than repairing the one you have.

  • @nero said:

    1. I don't want to spend any money. My economy is veeeery limited at the moment.

    2. I live in Spain, and in a not so big city. I don't know if I'll be able to buy anywhere in my city, plus I almost exclusively use it when I watch the SB.

    Can't be that much more than repairing the one you have.

    @wargograw said:

    Can't be that much more than repairing the one you have.

    The Ball he is talking about:  The Duke, is, I believe, a rare old football.   So, though while I have not  researchrd it...it may be quite valuable.

    Once upon a time we used to have a couple of Collectible nerds on here who may have known (I am not one).  But I don't think those are around now.