Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Political Discussion
  3. Dow Plummets

Dow Plummets

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Political Discussion
44 Posts 13 Posters 1.1k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • BaconHound B One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 5k Posts
    • 306 Reputation
    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #1

    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/dow-drops-1500-points/story?id=52854673

    Begin the spin.

    W C 2 Replies Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • B BaconHound

      http://abcnews.go.com/Business/dow-drops-1500-points/story?id=52854673

      Begin the spin.

      Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
      • 39k Posts
      • 9k Reputation
      W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
      #2

      @baconhound said:

      http://abcnews.go.com/Business/dow-drops-1500-points/story?id=52854673

      Begin the spin.

      How about this... It will be back.

      Come off the ledge bacon!

      WSS

      www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
        • 15k Posts
        • 2k Reputation
        T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Christ. I am so sick of the internet meme generation chicken little-ing over everything. 

        Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
          • 28k Posts
          • 6k Reputation
          DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
          #4

          It goes up for a frigging year, comes down 2 days and the left is beating off.

          "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • OldBrownsFan OldBrownsFanO
            • 11k Posts
            • 3k Reputation
            OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
            #5

            The economy is sound and doing better than ever. This is a correction in the market most knew we were due for.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
              • 39k Posts
              • 9k Reputation
              W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
              #6

              And here's my prediction. It will come back and when it does the Democrats will start claiming that it's Obama's policies we should thank for the recovery.

              😄

              WSS

              www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
              1 Reply Last reply
              👍
              Quote Reply
              • BaconHound B One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 5k Posts
                • 306 Reputation
                B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
                #7

                The Trumpettes are getting louder.  Biggest single day drop in history, pay no attention nothing to see here ?

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • Canton Dawg Canton DawgC Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                  • 12k Posts
                  • 7k Reputation
                  Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  No need to be concerned, the Dow is only down a few “CRUMBS”.

                  Two things that will define you: Your determination when you have nothing. Your attitude when you have everything. - Mike McCartney
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • Canton Dawg Canton DawgC Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                    • 12k Posts
                    • 7k Reputation
                    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    500 point drop in 1987 = 22%.

                    500 point drop in 2017 = 2%.

                    Focus on the percentage, not the points.

                    Two things that will define you: Your determination when you have nothing. Your attitude when you have everything. - Mike McCartney
                    T 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • htownbrown htownbrownH Reacting Well Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 2k Posts
                      • 685 Reputation
                      htownbrownH htownbrown wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      https://www.dailywire.com/news/26776/breaking-dow-plunges-1500-points-sp-500-now-ryan-saavedra

                      “It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.”
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg

                        500 point drop in 1987 = 22%.

                        500 point drop in 2017 = 2%.

                        Focus on the percentage, not the points.

                        TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                        • 23k Posts
                        • 6k Reputation
                        T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
                        #11

                        @canton-dawg said:

                        500 point drop in 1987 = 22%.

                        500 point drop in 2017 = 2%.

                        Focus on the percentage, not the points.

                        Absolutely. If you have cash saved aside to invest, now is the time to find really fine bargains in excellent companies whose bottom lines will remain very strong. I was lucky to get out of a few at the beginning of Jan. to raise cash for my 2018 required minimum distribution from a stock based IRA. I dropped several that I felt had played out and kept several that will resist any further downswings in the long run. The market was overdue for a strong correction. That is just normal.

                        Canton DawgC W 2 Replies Last reply
                        👍
                        Quote Reply
                        • T TexasAg1969

                          @canton-dawg said:

                          500 point drop in 1987 = 22%.

                          500 point drop in 2017 = 2%.

                          Focus on the percentage, not the points.

                          Absolutely. If you have cash saved aside to invest, now is the time to find really fine bargains in excellent companies whose bottom lines will remain very strong. I was lucky to get out of a few at the beginning of Jan. to raise cash for my 2018 required minimum distribution from a stock based IRA. I dropped several that I felt had played out and kept several that will resist any further downswings in the long run. The market was overdue for a strong correction. That is just normal.

                          Canton Dawg Canton DawgC Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                          • 12k Posts
                          • 7k Reputation
                          Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @texasag1969 said:

                          Absolutely. If you have cash saved aside to invest, now is the time to find really fine bargains in excellent companies whose bottom lines will remain very strong. I was lucky to get out of a few at the beginning of Jan. to raise cash for my 2018 required minimum distribution from a stock based IRA. I dropped several that I felt had played out and kept several that will resist any further downswings in the long run. The market was overdue for a strong correction. That is just normal.

                          Couldn't agree more, stocks are now on sale.

                          Two things that will define you: Your determination when you have nothing. Your attitude when you have everything. - Mike McCartney
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • LogicIsForSquares LogicIsForSquaresL Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                            • 10k Posts
                            • 2k Reputation
                            LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            I am by no means a "Trumpette" but the stock market has ebbs and flows. Thus you get an opportunity to buy now.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • T TexasAg1969

                              @canton-dawg said:

                              500 point drop in 1987 = 22%.

                              500 point drop in 2017 = 2%.

                              Focus on the percentage, not the points.

                              Absolutely. If you have cash saved aside to invest, now is the time to find really fine bargains in excellent companies whose bottom lines will remain very strong. I was lucky to get out of a few at the beginning of Jan. to raise cash for my 2018 required minimum distribution from a stock based IRA. I dropped several that I felt had played out and kept several that will resist any further downswings in the long run. The market was overdue for a strong correction. That is just normal.

                              Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                              • 39k Posts
                              • 9k Reputation
                              W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @texasag1969 said:

                              Absolutely. If you have cash saved aside to invest, now is the time to find really fine bargains in excellent companies whose bottom lines will remain very strong. I was lucky to get out of a few at the beginning of Jan. to raise cash for my 2018 required minimum distribution from a stock based IRA. I dropped several that I felt had played out and kept several that will resist any further downswings in the long run. The market was overdue for a strong correction. That is just normal.

                              Exactly. The first rule in the Buy Low sell High recommendation is to buy low. I just checked and I noticed a bite out of my bottom line. I'm assuming the managers of the dozen or so funds are busy as we speak

                              WSS

                              www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                              T 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • W Westside Steve

                                @texasag1969 said:

                                Absolutely. If you have cash saved aside to invest, now is the time to find really fine bargains in excellent companies whose bottom lines will remain very strong. I was lucky to get out of a few at the beginning of Jan. to raise cash for my 2018 required minimum distribution from a stock based IRA. I dropped several that I felt had played out and kept several that will resist any further downswings in the long run. The market was overdue for a strong correction. That is just normal.

                                Exactly. The first rule in the Buy Low sell High recommendation is to buy low. I just checked and I noticed a bite out of my bottom line. I'm assuming the managers of the dozen or so funds are busy as we speak

                                WSS

                                TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                • 23k Posts
                                • 6k Reputation
                                T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
                                #15

                                @westside-steve said:

                                Exactly. The first rule in the Buy Low sell High recommendation is to buy low. I just checked and I noticed a bite out of my bottom line. I'm assuming the managers of the dozen or so funds are busy as we speak

                                WSS

                                I got a personal note from my stockbroker saying not to panic because we had done all our homework and were well spread out with quality stocks for the long run, balanced well with other more stable things that provide dividends with low volatility in price. Everything in those funds is set for automatic reinvestment of dividends with no stockbroker fees involved, so the dividends are buying at lower prices. I have a separate IRA with a major chunk of "doomsday" Swiss Gold ETF when Trump finally twists off and nukes his buddy.LOL!🙄

                                EDIT: When i was cashing out my required minimum distribution last month instead of waiting until Dec. like I could have, I told him then I wanted cash delivered now because I felt that after a strong 2017 and a strong start again in 2018, I felt (cal will love that one😆) the market was far overdue for a major correction. I wanted to cash out as required before the correction I saw coming. Now I really did not expect it this soon, but here it is.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                                  • 39k Posts
                                  • 9k Reputation
                                  W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  Yes I talked to my guy a couple of weeks ago and we agreed that there was a correction coming. That's why I made the joke with him about switching everything over the day before. Mandatory distribution sounds like annuities. 

                                  I'm not even concerned yet just because points and percent are different as was pointed out.

                                  If worse comes to worse I have a big jar of change laying around here somewhere. 

                                  😆

                                  WSS

                                  www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                                  T 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • W Westside Steve

                                    Yes I talked to my guy a couple of weeks ago and we agreed that there was a correction coming. That's why I made the joke with him about switching everything over the day before. Mandatory distribution sounds like annuities. 

                                    I'm not even concerned yet just because points and percent are different as was pointed out.

                                    If worse comes to worse I have a big jar of change laying around here somewhere. 

                                    😆

                                    WSS

                                    TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                    • 23k Posts
                                    • 6k Reputation
                                    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    @westside-steve said:

                                    Yes I talked to my guy a couple of weeks ago and we agreed that there was a correction coming. That's why I made the joke with him about switching everything over the day before. Mandatory distribution sounds like annuities. 

                                    I'm not even concerned yet just because points and percent are different as was pointed out.

                                    If worse comes to worse I have a big jar of change laying around here somewhere. 

                                    😆

                                    WSS

                                    Mandatory from IRAs start the year you turn 70 1/2. I would rather have left it alone, but it was an opportunity this year to at least take some before the correction. Had to take some last year too using that same weed out the top-enders process. 😁

                                    Here's a little assessment I found on the internet this morning which I think is accurate:

                                    Mark Bern from seekinglpha.com:

                                    "Conclusion

                                    We believe that the case for continuing this bull market advance is stronger than that for an immediate bear market. We could get a correction of more than 10% but we could also get a pull back of less magnitude. The market needs to take a breath and rest so it can build a foundation from which to launch another leg higher. So, we still believe that the bull market will remain intact but that the current selling could provide some unique opportunities to find a few select, quality companies at reasonable valuations."

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    👍
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                                      • 39k Posts
                                      • 9k Reputation
                                      W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      Ahhhhh I didn't realize you were that old.

                                      😕

                                      WSS

                                      www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                                      DieHardBrownsFanD 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • W Westside Steve

                                        Ahhhhh I didn't realize you were that old.

                                        😕

                                        WSS

                                        DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
                                        • 28k Posts
                                        • 6k Reputation
                                        DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        @westside-steve said:

                                        Ahhhhh I didn't realize you were that old.

                                        😕

                                        WSS

                                        He's not old, he's ancient😆

                                        "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
                                        T 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • B BaconHound

                                          http://abcnews.go.com/Business/dow-drops-1500-points/story?id=52854673

                                          Begin the spin.

                                          calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                                          • 64k Posts
                                          • 8k Reputation
                                          C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          @baconhound said:

                                          http://abcnews.go.com/Business/dow-drops-1500-points/story?id=52854673

                                          Begin the spin.

                                          emotional knee jerkie. of course there are corrections. geez.

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate