Skip to content

Saquon Barkley Combine Bound

Locked The Browns Board
341 31 10.4k 1
  • Opps! Ronald Jones😉 We well earned over 100M in cap space by not paying playmaker😠 The Draft Class should cost us under $12M..Fix this chit'show 

  • @gunz41 said:

    You didn't answer the question. I am really curious on your answer

    If you've ever seen the movie Draft Day, Costner writes down the name of a player and puts it in his pocket the day of the draft. The player I'm writing down is- Saquon Barkley, no matter what. I would put the QBs that I would like in the order of, Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Rosen. 

    If I could take Barkley and Mayfield/Allen I would be ecstatic. But if Baker and Allen go 2 and 3, and I had to take Darnold/Rosen at 4? Many expect us to take Darnold #1, so yeah I could live with that. Every one of these QBs would have a lot more success as a Brown with a RB like Barkley than they would if we pass on him. 

    I take Barkley #1 and let the #4 sort itself out. I see 5 good QBs and at the worst case scenario I get to pick who I like the best out of 3 of them. 

    @poeticg said:

    If you've ever seen the movie Draft Day, Costner writes down the name of a player and puts it in his pocket the day of the draft. The player I'm writing down is- Saquon Barkley, no matter what. I would put the QBs that I would like in the order of, Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Rosen. 

    If I could take Barkley and Mayfield/Allen I would be ecstatic. But if Baker and Allen go 2 and 3, and I had to take Darnold/Rosen at 4? Many expect us to take Darnold #1, so yeah I could live with that. Every one of these QBs would have a lot more success as a Brown with a RB like Barkley than they would if we pass on him. 

    I take Barkley #1 and let the #4 sort itself out. I see 5 good QBs and at the worst case scenario I get to pick who I like the best out of 3 of them. 

    See THAT is where I have an issue with your love for Barkley.

    You got the option in the question of getting your top QB AND Barkley at 4. But you chose to take Barkley and then your 3rd QB choice.

    So you care more about Barkley going 1st for some kind of trend/hasn't been done in a long time over getting the best team possible.

    I think the young man seems like a really good man, and a good prospect. He hasn't proven ANYTHING as of now. And while it wouldn't be my pick, I wouldn't mind the Browns drafting him. But when you draft him (or anyone else) at a detriment to the team.

    If after combine and pro days the QB position is ranked Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Rosen like you say, and you can get Mayfield and Barkley at 1 and 4, it is WAY MORE IMPORTANT to get them both as opposed to A CERTAIN PLAYER BEING THE 1 PICK

  • @hoorta said:

    Why do we keep coming back? Mostly because you're so over the top on Saquon it's funny in a demented sort of way. Ignore other very valid counter points, and just keep droning on with the same mantra over, and over, and over. To the point- as Mark said we're just tired of hearing more of the same old, same old.

    You have to understand cal to understand his love for Barkley and the Great Orange One. 🙄

    @texasag1969 said:

    You have to understand cal to understand his love for Barkley and the Great Orange One. 🙄

    nasty bitches gonna bitch. it is what it is.

  • I hope the Browns go Mayfield at #1 and Fitzpatrick at #4, but i wouldn't mind them going with Saquon with the #4 pick.  I'd be shocked if he wasn't there at #4, but if not there are still plenty of good RBs to go around in this draft class.  Haslam has made it very clear that this FO is on a mission to find a QB, if they don't use the #1 on a QB I don't  even know what this team is doing.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    You have to understand cal to understand his love for Barkley and the Great Orange One. 🙄

    nasty bitches gonna bitch. it is what it is.

    @calfoxwc said:

    nasty bitches gonna bitch. it is what it is.

    😍

  • I have my favorite QB, and most of us here have one, but all I really care about is that our team gets the guy they rank the best. That after all the hundreds of hours of film, discussion, and back and forth analysis, we draft the guy number 1 overall, and we live with it. Regardless of where the "experts" say this guy should go, regardless of whether or not he would've been available later, I just want our freaking team to decide on the guy who is their consensus top QB, and I want him drafted ONE. I don't want to hear that we "have a list of 3 qb's that we'd be happy with" because that's total crap. Decide who we want, and draft him. It really is THAT simple, yet I can't help but feel like we're going to get cute, and we're going to try and maximize our resources and end up losing out on "our guy". Lots of people on this board wanted Mahomes, Trubisky, and some even said Watson. Did anybody here want Kizer? No, no they didn't. What was the result? Only the worst QB in the league. I'm not an idiot, Watson would not have been as good with us, but still...it's likely he wouldn't have been the worst in the league either. 

    All I'm saying is, I want to read "Browns land their guy" and I don't want to hear any excuses. Wanna know why? Because there ARE none. When you have the first pick, you can take whoever you want. It's so incredibly simple, yet I'm left with the distinct impression we're going to completely mess it up. Yeah I'm being a negative jerk right now, but it's difficult not to be when you look at our history. And someone could easily say, "Well John Dorsey wasn't a part of that history!" Yeah, and guess what? During our almost impossible run of QB futility, how many different guys did we have making decisions? So the question is, why would Dorsey be any different? 

  • I dont understand anyone for ANY team or ANY position saying we have to draft someone at a certain position, even if that person would be there later. Have had it on different people in this thread.

    If you get the players you WANT, it doesn't matter where they are drafted. Saquon Barkley is no different at 1 or 10, Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen are no different at 1 vs 4. 

    Now if the argument is, this is the guy the Browns should take, and he will not be there at the next pick then YES, but to say we have to take this guy here even if he will be there later doesn't make sense.

    Just because I have seen the names mentioned recently, use Rashad Penney and Kurt Benkert as examples. Say the Browns rate them at the top of their positions. They are later round choices. But people saying you got to take these guys as THE GUY are saying use 1 and 4. 

    The point isn't to get one guy no matter what. It's to get your guys to make the team the best you can. Use the picks wisely, get the best players you can.

  • I don't believe anybody on this board wanted Gilbert as the Browns top pick. That's how bad it was.

    etc etc.

    Dorsey and co. have the experience and the smarts to draft real Football Players, and they will. Whoever they draft,

    I will know they drafted smart right from the gitgo - not sure I ever felt that way before.

  • @poeticg said:

    If you've ever seen the movie Draft Day, Costner writes down the name of a player and puts it in his pocket the day of the draft. The player I'm writing down is- Saquon Barkley, no matter what. I would put the QBs that I would like in the order of, Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Rosen. 

    If I could take Barkley and Mayfield/Allen I would be ecstatic. But if Baker and Allen go 2 and 3, and I had to take Darnold/Rosen at 4? Many expect us to take Darnold #1, so yeah I could live with that. Every one of these QBs would have a lot more success as a Brown with a RB like Barkley than they would if we pass on him. 

    I take Barkley #1 and let the #4 sort itself out. I see 5 good QBs and at the worst case scenario I get to pick who I like the best out of 3 of them. 

    See THAT is where I have an issue with your love for Barkley.

    You got the option in the question of getting your top QB AND Barkley at 4. But you chose to take Barkley and then your 3rd QB choice.

    So you care more about Barkley going 1st for some kind of trend/hasn't been done in a long time over getting the best team possible.

    I think the young man seems like a really good man, and a good prospect. He hasn't proven ANYTHING as of now. And while it wouldn't be my pick, I wouldn't mind the Browns drafting him. But when you draft him (or anyone else) at a detriment to the team.

    If after combine and pro days the QB position is ranked Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Rosen like you say, and you can get Mayfield and Barkley at 1 and 4, it is WAY MORE IMPORTANT to get them both as opposed to A CERTAIN PLAYER BEING THE 1 PICK

    @gunz41 said:

    See THAT is where I have an issue with your love for Barkley.

    You got the option in the question of getting your top QB AND Barkley at 4. But you chose to take Barkley and then your 3rd QB choice.

    So you care more about Barkley going 1st for some kind of trend/hasn't been done in a long time over getting the best team possible.

    I think the young man seems like a really good man, and a good prospect. He hasn't proven ANYTHING as of now. And while it wouldn't be my pick, I wouldn't mind the Browns drafting him. But when you draft him (or anyone else) at a detriment to the team.

    If after combine and pro days the QB position is ranked Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Rosen like you say, and you can get Mayfield and Barkley at 1 and 4, it is WAY MORE IMPORTANT to get them both as opposed to A CERTAIN PLAYER BEING THE 1 PICK

    https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2185957/saquon-barkley

    Here are his game stats this season. Is he going to smash Pittsburgh like  he did the buckeyes? Or mich st? Two huge games he didn't show much.   He's got half the season but showing much. 

    He wasn't even the best in the big Ten. That's why I'm skeptical.  

  • @gunz41 said:

    See THAT is where I have an issue with your love for Barkley.

    You got the option in the question of getting your top QB AND Barkley at 4. But you chose to take Barkley and then your 3rd QB choice.

    So you care more about Barkley going 1st for some kind of trend/hasn't been done in a long time over getting the best team possible.

    I think the young man seems like a really good man, and a good prospect. He hasn't proven ANYTHING as of now. And while it wouldn't be my pick, I wouldn't mind the Browns drafting him. But when you draft him (or anyone else) at a detriment to the team.

    If after combine and pro days the QB position is ranked Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Rosen like you say, and you can get Mayfield and Barkley at 1 and 4, it is WAY MORE IMPORTANT to get them both as opposed to A CERTAIN PLAYER BEING THE 1 PICK

    https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2185957/saquon-barkley

    Here are his game stats this season. Is he going to smash Pittsburgh like  he did the buckeyes? Or mich st? Two huge games he didn't show much.   He's got half the season but showing much. 

    He wasn't even the best in the big Ten. That's why I'm skeptical.  

    @sd_tom said:

    https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2185957/saquon-barkley

    Here are his game stats this season. Is he going to smash Pittsburgh like  he did the buckeyes? Or mich st? Two huge games he didn't show much.   He's got half the season but showing much. 

    He wasn't even the best in the big Ten. That's why I'm skeptical.  

    First time I bothered to look, couple great games, bunch of others he got shut down. 44 yards on 21 carries against the Buckeyes 2.1 ypc. (his TD was on a kickoff return) I already know Po's going to say inferior line, and they were keying on him. Saying he had a great game against Akron is about the same as me saying Josh Allen had a great game against Gardner-Webb. 🙂 

  • I'm going to say that 2 seasons ago he ate up Ohio State. They were ready for him but still, have you watched the tape? I can't tell you how many times you hear the announcer say that the defense had Barkley DEAD TO RIGHTS in the backfield and he still managed to get positive yards. The kid ran a kickoff on the opening possession and then put them in the lead with an amazing highlight run. He really didn't have that great of a game? He did some nice things this game and you guys act like it was the worst game ever. You can't look at stats. Watch the tape. Watch the tape. Please for the love of all that is still good in the world, watch the tape. Kids a Phenom. He ran UNDER a defender that had him DEAD TO RIGHTS for a loss... under. smh

    It seems after Barkley ran back the first kickoff Ohio State pooched and squib kicked the rest of the game, leading to really good starting field positon for his team.  

  • I find it interesting that in arguably Penn State's two biggest games the last two seasons, Penn State got big leads (vs USC in the Rose Bowl and then vs Ohio State in Ohio Stadium) with the all-time talent that is Saquon Barkley at RB and blew both games. You would think that such a dynamic talent in the backfield would have been able to easily salt those games away and keep USC's and OSU's offense off the field, resulting in Penn State victories. 

  • But he looks so nice in his white uniform if you know what I mean. 😆

    Seriously though IMHO you really have to be a tough-nosed SOB to make it for any length of time as a RB in the brutal NFL.....just think of the best ever or even just good ones. Does he have it, we'll find out, is he a top 5 or 10 pick? TBD over time.

    If you have an extra high R1 pick might be worth a shot but not if you also need a QB and much more.

    C'mon 4/26/18.

  • I find it interesting that in arguably Penn State's two biggest games the last two seasons, Penn State got big leads (vs USC in the Rose Bowl and then vs Ohio State in Ohio Stadium) with the all-time talent that is Saquon Barkley at RB and blew both games. You would think that such a dynamic talent in the backfield would have been able to easily salt those games away and keep USC's and OSU's offense off the field, resulting in Penn State victories. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I find it interesting that in arguably Penn State's two biggest games the last two seasons, Penn State got big leads (vs USC in the Rose Bowl and then vs Ohio State in Ohio Stadium) with the all-time talent that is Saquon Barkley at RB and blew both games. You would think that such a dynamic talent in the backfield would have been able to easily salt those games away and keep USC's and OSU's offense off the field, resulting in Penn State victories. 

    Actually, just for you Dutch.

  • I'm going to say that 2 seasons ago he ate up Ohio State. They were ready for him but still, have you watched the tape? I can't tell you how many times you hear the announcer say that the defense had Barkley DEAD TO RIGHTS in the backfield and he still managed to get positive yards. The kid ran a kickoff on the opening possession and then put them in the lead with an amazing highlight run. He really didn't have that great of a game? He did some nice things this game and you guys act like it was the worst game ever. You can't look at stats. Watch the tape. Watch the tape. Please for the love of all that is still good in the world, watch the tape. Kids a Phenom. He ran UNDER a defender that had him DEAD TO RIGHTS for a loss... under. smh

    It seems after Barkley ran back the first kickoff Ohio State pooched and squib kicked the rest of the game, leading to really good starting field positon for his team.  

    @poeticg said:

    I'm going to say that 2 seasons ago he ate up Ohio State. They were ready for him but still, have you watched the tape? I can't tell you how many times you hear the announcer say that the defense had Barkley DEAD TO RIGHTS in the backfield and he still managed to get positive yards. The kid ran a kickoff on the opening possession and then put them in the lead with an amazing highlight run. He really didn't have that great of a game? He did some nice things this game and you guys act like it was the worst game ever. You can't look at stats. Watch the tape. Watch the tape. Please for the love of all that is still good in the world, watch the tape. Kids a Phenom. He ran UNDER a defender that had him DEAD TO RIGHTS for a loss... under. smh

    It seems after Barkley ran back the first kickoff Ohio State pooched and squib kicked the rest of the game, leading to really good starting field positon for his team.  

    I dont know about others, but I dont need to watch a tape, I saw the game when it happened.

    Here is the bottom line, running under defenders or looking great doesn't matter. You can want to forget all the stats you want from that game and say they don't matter, but there are 2 things you can't poo poo. 21 carries for 44 yards and the more important thing, they LOST.

    He can be the greatest player of all time (And he seems to be in your mind), but the object is to win, not look fancy. He can break or make 10 tacklers miss, but it only takes one.

    Now he may have LOOKED amazing in that game to you, and put up great NUMBERS against other teams, but the Ohio State defense is the closest thing he faced to an NFL defense, and he didn't produce. 

    And yes the 36 yard touchdown counts just the same as any other run, but aside from that 1 run, he went 20 carries for 8 yards. And THAT is what you are using to talk his up, because he LOOKED fancy??? You even actually questioned someone about have a great game.

    No, stats aren't everything. But they are a key of how someone performed. And even counting the 36 yard TD, he didn't perform well. Certainly not well enough to win.

    Looks dont matter, unless if course you are wanting him to enter a beauty pageant or something

  • @poeticg said:

    I'm going to say that 2 seasons ago he ate up Ohio State. They were ready for him but still, have you watched the tape? I can't tell you how many times you hear the announcer say that the defense had Barkley DEAD TO RIGHTS in the backfield and he still managed to get positive yards. The kid ran a kickoff on the opening possession and then put them in the lead with an amazing highlight run. He really didn't have that great of a game? He did some nice things this game and you guys act like it was the worst game ever. You can't look at stats. Watch the tape. Watch the tape. Please for the love of all that is still good in the world, watch the tape. Kids a Phenom. He ran UNDER a defender that had him DEAD TO RIGHTS for a loss... under. smh

    It seems after Barkley ran back the first kickoff Ohio State pooched and squib kicked the rest of the game, leading to really good starting field positon for his team.  

    I dont know about others, but I dont need to watch a tape, I saw the game when it happened.

    Here is the bottom line, running under defenders or looking great doesn't matter. You can want to forget all the stats you want from that game and say they don't matter, but there are 2 things you can't poo poo. 21 carries for 44 yards and the more important thing, they LOST.

    He can be the greatest player of all time (And he seems to be in your mind), but the object is to win, not look fancy. He can break or make 10 tacklers miss, but it only takes one.

    Now he may have LOOKED amazing in that game to you, and put up great NUMBERS against other teams, but the Ohio State defense is the closest thing he faced to an NFL defense, and he didn't produce. 

    And yes the 36 yard touchdown counts just the same as any other run, but aside from that 1 run, he went 20 carries for 8 yards. And THAT is what you are using to talk his up, because he LOOKED fancy??? You even actually questioned someone about have a great game.

    No, stats aren't everything. But they are a key of how someone performed. And even counting the 36 yard TD, he didn't perform well. Certainly not well enough to win.

    Looks dont matter, unless if course you are wanting him to enter a beauty pageant or something

    @gunz41 said:

    I dont know about others, but I dont need to watch a tape, I saw the game when it happened.

    Here is the bottom line, running under defenders or looking great doesn't matter. You can want to forget all the stats you want from that game and say they don't matter, but there are 2 things you can't poo poo. 21 carries for 44 yards and the more important thing, they LOST.

    He can be the greatest player of all time (And he seems to be in your mind), but the object is to win, not look fancy. He can break or make 10 tacklers miss, but it only takes one.

    Now he may have LOOKED amazing in that game to you, and put up great NUMBERS against other teams, but the Ohio State defense is the closest thing he faced to an NFL defense, and he didn't produce. 

    And yes the 36 yard touchdown counts just the same as any other run, but aside from that 1 run, he went 20 carries for 8 yards. And THAT is what you are using to talk his up, because he LOOKED fancy??? You even actually questioned someone about have a great game.

    No, stats aren't everything. But they are a key of how someone performed. And even counting the 36 yard TD, he didn't perform well. Certainly not well enough to win.

    Looks dont matter, unless if course you are wanting him to enter a beauty pageant or something

    I think you've missed the mark. He had over 150 all purpose yards and two touchdowns before the end of the first quarter. 

  • How about Greg Schanio. Ohio State had 2 weeks to prepare for Barkley. Once in a 10 year runningback huh?

  • Or maybe Urban's comments on Barkley. Best Ohio State's coaching staff has seen in 30 years... Just sayin. 

  • @gunz41 said:

    I dont know about others, but I dont need to watch a tape, I saw the game when it happened.

    Here is the bottom line, running under defenders or looking great doesn't matter. You can want to forget all the stats you want from that game and say they don't matter, but there are 2 things you can't poo poo. 21 carries for 44 yards and the more important thing, they LOST.

    He can be the greatest player of all time (And he seems to be in your mind), but the object is to win, not look fancy. He can break or make 10 tacklers miss, but it only takes one.

    Now he may have LOOKED amazing in that game to you, and put up great NUMBERS against other teams, but the Ohio State defense is the closest thing he faced to an NFL defense, and he didn't produce. 

    And yes the 36 yard touchdown counts just the same as any other run, but aside from that 1 run, he went 20 carries for 8 yards. And THAT is what you are using to talk his up, because he LOOKED fancy??? You even actually questioned someone about have a great game.

    No, stats aren't everything. But they are a key of how someone performed. And even counting the 36 yard TD, he didn't perform well. Certainly not well enough to win.

    Looks dont matter, unless if course you are wanting him to enter a beauty pageant or something

    I think you've missed the mark. He had over 150 all purpose yards and two touchdowns before the end of the first quarter. 

    @poeticg said:

    I think you've missed the mark. He had over 150 all purpose yards and two touchdowns before the end of the first quarter. 

    And 95 of those yards and one touchdown came on a kickoff return. Hello? You're not going to be having your franchise running back returning kickoffs in the NFL.