Skip to content

5 Finalist to Host the 2019 & 2020 NFL Draft

The Browns Board
42 9 938
  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Adam Schefter just Tweeted. . .

    Five finalists to host 2019 or 2020 NFL Draft: Cleveland/Canton, Tennessee, Kansas City, Denver, and Las Vegas.

    Winners expected to be announced at May spring meeting.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #2

    I wonder how this is determined.

    Nevertheless...in my considered opinion.....I think they should hold the drafts, now that they are such a big thing.....in cities in which they would never likely hold a Super Bowl.

    Like they did with Chicago and Philly. Except the arse kisssers had to kiss Jerry Jones's arse and hold this next one in Dallas...because they are such gutless wonders.

    But, heretofore, they should NOT  hold them in Miami, Jax. Tampa, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, LA, SF Bay...or Las Vegas, or in dome cities like Minneapolis, Indy....places where they have and may again host Super Bowls.  What about Detroit? Is that a dome? I know they had a SB in the old Silverdome. Also not sure about Seattle.  I don't think they are in a dome there now that the Kingdome is gone.  Would they hold a SB in Seattle?

    But certainly:  Denver, KC, Cleveland/Canton, Chicago, Cincy, Pittspuke, Philly, DC, Baltimore, Buffalo, Boston....maybe Charlotte, Nashville...and NYC.

    And....at some point they must hold one in Green Bay.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #3

    And what about the cities the freeking abandoned in their chase for the almighty dollar?   Like San Diego, St. Louis.

    They should put one in Oakland before they abandon that town again. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #4

    I'm confused, is Cleveland/Canton a joint venture, or an either/or thing?

    NE Ohio getting it in 2020 just has to happen - the NFL started in Canton in 1920. 

  • I'm confused, is Cleveland/Canton a joint venture, or an either/or thing?

    NE Ohio getting it in 2020 just has to happen - the NFL started in Canton in 1920. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm confused, is Cleveland/Canton a joint venture, or an either/or thing?

    NE Ohio getting it in 2020 just has to happen - the NFL started in Canton in 1920. 

    Yes a joint venture and get your tickets for Canton in 2020 it's practically a lock with the NFL 100th Birthday Bash!

    ........unless the BROWNS go 0-32 in the next two seasons, in that case they might move the HOF from Canton to Cooperstown. 

  • I'm confused, is Cleveland/Canton a joint venture, or an either/or thing?

    NE Ohio getting it in 2020 just has to happen - the NFL started in Canton in 1920. 

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm confused, is Cleveland/Canton a joint venture, or an either/or thing?

    NE Ohio getting it in 2020 just has to happen - the NFL started in Canton in 1920. 

    of course it just makes to much sense to do that

  • I wonder how this is determined.

    Nevertheless...in my considered opinion.....I think they should hold the drafts, now that they are such a big thing.....in cities in which they would never likely hold a Super Bowl.

    Like they did with Chicago and Philly. Except the arse kisssers had to kiss Jerry Jones's arse and hold this next one in Dallas...because they are such gutless wonders.

    But, heretofore, they should NOT  hold them in Miami, Jax. Tampa, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, LA, SF Bay...or Las Vegas, or in dome cities like Minneapolis, Indy....places where they have and may again host Super Bowls.  What about Detroit? Is that a dome? I know they had a SB in the old Silverdome. Also not sure about Seattle.  I don't think they are in a dome there now that the Kingdome is gone.  Would they hold a SB in Seattle?

    But certainly:  Denver, KC, Cleveland/Canton, Chicago, Cincy, Pittspuke, Philly, DC, Baltimore, Buffalo, Boston....maybe Charlotte, Nashville...and NYC.

    And....at some point they must hold one in Green Bay.

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @the-gipper said:

    I wonder how this is determined.

    Nevertheless...in my considered opinion.....I think they should hold the drafts, now that they are such a big thing.....in cities in which they would never likely hold a Super Bowl.

    Like they did with Chicago and Philly. Except the arse kisssers had to kiss Jerry Jones's arse and hold this next one in Dallas...because they are such gutless wonders.

    But, heretofore, they should NOT  hold them in Miami, Jax. Tampa, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, LA, SF Bay...or Las Vegas, or in dome cities like Minneapolis, Indy....places where they have and may again host Super Bowls.  What about Detroit? Is that a dome? I know they had a SB in the old Silverdome. Also not sure about Seattle.  I don't think they are in a dome there now that the Kingdome is gone.  Would they hold a SB in Seattle?

    But certainly:  Denver, KC, Cleveland/Canton, Chicago, Cincy, Pittspuke, Philly, DC, Baltimore, Buffalo, Boston....maybe Charlotte, Nashville...and NYC.

    And....at some point they must hold one in Green Bay.

    Gip,

    Agree 100% & I have stated this same thing for a long time, and if they want a permanent venue for the draft, look no further than Canton, Ohio...at The Pro Football Hall of Fame! As a marketing tool, it could be, "Start your NFL career where you hope to end up...in the Hall!".

    Mike 

  • I'm confused, is Cleveland/Canton a joint venture, or an either/or thing?

    NE Ohio getting it in 2020 just has to happen - the NFL started in Canton in 1920. 

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm confused, is Cleveland/Canton a joint venture, or an either/or thing?

    NE Ohio getting it in 2020 just has to happen - the NFL started in Canton in 1920. 

    image.thumb.png.47f9aac4cfa4d8c139f95f57c0da498a.png

    More reading in today's Repository. . .

    http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20180215/update-nfl-selects-canton-cleveland-among-finalist-to-host-nfl-draft

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I'm confused, is Cleveland/Canton a joint venture, or an either/or thing?

    NE Ohio getting it in 2020 just has to happen - the NFL started in Canton in 1920. 

    image.thumb.png.47f9aac4cfa4d8c139f95f57c0da498a.png

    More reading in today's Repository. . .

    http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20180215/update-nfl-selects-canton-cleveland-among-finalist-to-host-nfl-draft

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @canton-dawg said:

    image.thumb.png.47f9aac4cfa4d8c139f95f57c0da498a.png

    More reading in today's Repository. . .

    http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20180215/update-nfl-selects-canton-cleveland-among-finalist-to-host-nfl-draft

    Sounds like a good "un-NYC like" deal, actually fan and football oriented how could the NFL INC. powers not go for that?

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #10

    I think that they announce two years in May.    The Cleveland-Canton Bid should, for me be a shoe-in for the Centennial. in 2020

    And to me it should be between  KC and Denver.  

    Las Vegas does not have a freeking team yet...so screw them.  Tennessee has not had a team for that long.  

    And FYI....the American Football League in which the Broncos.....and the Chiefs were founding members (though the Chiefs in the beginning were the Dallas Texans)....was founded in 1959.   So that would be the 60th anniversary of the AFL in 2019.

    So...as far as I am concerned it should be one of those teams.....preferably Denver as at least the Broncos did not move.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #11

    Oh.....and how about this:

    the 2020  Hall of Fame Game should be held between the Chicago Bears and the Arizona Cardinals.......because those are the only two franchises that will have been in existence in the league since that first initial season....and who will have played for the full 100 years.    The other longest tenured teams are the Packers.....just one year shorter started in 1921...and the Giants started in 1925.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #12

    Coming off attending the Philly draft I would question 2 seperate Locations? Does the new Canton rebuild not have the rooms? In Philly, Days 1 & 2 were a full house but Not Only Philly fans were in attendance. Many Traveled from out of state. With No transportation but 2 feet. Day 3 (rds.3-7) attendance was down. Baker is asking travelers to get lucky to book rooms in both Towns. And Honestly, with the amount of drinking that most Fans involve, most should not be on that highway to Canton..

  • Coming off attending the Philly draft I would question 2 seperate Locations? Does the new Canton rebuild not have the rooms? In Philly, Days 1 & 2 were a full house but Not Only Philly fans were in attendance. Many Traveled from out of state. With No transportation but 2 feet. Day 3 (rds.3-7) attendance was down. Baker is asking travelers to get lucky to book rooms in both Towns. And Honestly, with the amount of drinking that most Fans involve, most should not be on that highway to Canton..

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @gumby73 said:

    Coming off attending the Philly draft I would question 2 seperate Locations? Does the new Canton rebuild not have the rooms? In Philly, Days 1 & 2 were a full house but Not Only Philly fans were in attendance. Many Traveled from out of state. With No transportation but 2 feet. Day 3 (rds.3-7) attendance was down. Baker is asking travelers to get lucky to book rooms in both Towns. And Honestly, with the amount of drinking that most Fans involve, most should not be on that highway to Canton..

    Yeah, honestly I'd prefer if they just did the whole thing in Canton. 

  • @gumby73 said:

    Coming off attending the Philly draft I would question 2 seperate Locations? Does the new Canton rebuild not have the rooms? In Philly, Days 1 & 2 were a full house but Not Only Philly fans were in attendance. Many Traveled from out of state. With No transportation but 2 feet. Day 3 (rds.3-7) attendance was down. Baker is asking travelers to get lucky to book rooms in both Towns. And Honestly, with the amount of drinking that most Fans involve, most should not be on that highway to Canton..

    Yeah, honestly I'd prefer if they just did the whole thing in Canton. 

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @dutch-oven said:

    Yeah, honestly I'd prefer if they just did the whole thing in Canton. 

    If Canton can host an 8 day HOF event, the draft couldn’t be much different.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Yeah, honestly I'd prefer if they just did the whole thing in Canton. 

    If Canton can host an 8 day HOF event, the draft couldn’t be much different.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @canton-dawg said:

    If Canton can host an 8 day HOF event, the draft couldn’t be much different.

    To be honest I think after maybe an improved 2018 football season Ohio, NE Ohio and BROWNS fans could use the NFL draft, nice football bridge until the end of summer HOF game. Some positive national attention for some weary professional  football fans.

    I'd love to see that.

    GO BROWNS, INDIANS and rebuilding CAVS! BUCKEYES just in reload mode thankfully. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Yeah, honestly I'd prefer if they just did the whole thing in Canton. 

    If Canton can host an 8 day HOF event, the draft couldn’t be much different.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #16

    @canton-dawg said:

    If Canton can host an 8 day HOF event, the draft couldn’t be much different.

    3 days event turns into 4/5 day...Chicago attendance was 225K. Philly was 250K. not a hotel room available in site for miles.(i booked 8 months early) Can Canton handle that? Seems Baker knows the attendance is lighter day 3 for move to Canton area then..City of Cleveland/ like Chicago/Philly has the high rise hotels that can handle the first 2 days of a zoo of people. And I mean Zoo.

  • @canton-dawg said:

    If Canton can host an 8 day HOF event, the draft couldn’t be much different.

    3 days event turns into 4/5 day...Chicago attendance was 225K. Philly was 250K. not a hotel room available in site for miles.(i booked 8 months early) Can Canton handle that? Seems Baker knows the attendance is lighter day 3 for move to Canton area then..City of Cleveland/ like Chicago/Philly has the high rise hotels that can handle the first 2 days of a zoo of people. And I mean Zoo.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #17

    @gumby73 said:

    3 days event turns into 4/5 day...Chicago attendance was 225K. Philly was 250K. not a hotel room available in site for miles.(i booked 8 months early) Can Canton handle that? Seems Baker knows the attendance is lighter day 3 for move to Canton area then..City of Cleveland/ like Chicago/Philly has the high rise hotels that can handle the first 2 days of a zoo of people. And I mean Zoo.

    Just a few things a Cleveland/Akron-Canton metro area would not have the local draw of a Chicago or Philadelphia event. I'm sure all of this was specified in the bid requirements. 

    For some rather interesting  rough data on event planning check out cvent:  http://www.cvent.com/rfp/midwest-us-meeting-event-planning.aspx

    I also do not know how far out they could go on accommodations and bussing people to the event.

  • Coming off attending the Philly draft I would question 2 seperate Locations? Does the new Canton rebuild not have the rooms? In Philly, Days 1 & 2 were a full house but Not Only Philly fans were in attendance. Many Traveled from out of state. With No transportation but 2 feet. Day 3 (rds.3-7) attendance was down. Baker is asking travelers to get lucky to book rooms in both Towns. And Honestly, with the amount of drinking that most Fans involve, most should not be on that highway to Canton..

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @gumby73 said:

    Coming off attending the Philly draft I would question 2 seperate Locations? Does the new Canton rebuild not have the rooms? In Philly, Days 1 & 2 were a full house but Not Only Philly fans were in attendance. Many Traveled from out of state. With No transportation but 2 feet. Day 3 (rds.3-7) attendance was down. Baker is asking travelers to get lucky to book rooms in both Towns. And Honestly, with the amount of drinking that most Fans involve, most should not be on that highway to Canton..

    They would not have to book rooms in both towns....you see, they have these things called automobiles.....devices that take you from place to place that are not walkable generally.  Cleveland and Canton are only like 60 miles apart.  One can drive to both locations reasonably and quickly.  And, they can get a room in Akron....about equidistant from the two.

  • @canton-dawg said:

    If Canton can host an 8 day HOF event, the draft couldn’t be much different.

    3 days event turns into 4/5 day...Chicago attendance was 225K. Philly was 250K. not a hotel room available in site for miles.(i booked 8 months early) Can Canton handle that? Seems Baker knows the attendance is lighter day 3 for move to Canton area then..City of Cleveland/ like Chicago/Philly has the high rise hotels that can handle the first 2 days of a zoo of people. And I mean Zoo.

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @gumby73 said:

    3 days event turns into 4/5 day...Chicago attendance was 225K. Philly was 250K. not a hotel room available in site for miles.(i booked 8 months early) Can Canton handle that? Seems Baker knows the attendance is lighter day 3 for move to Canton area then..City of Cleveland/ like Chicago/Philly has the high rise hotels that can handle the first 2 days of a zoo of people. And I mean Zoo.

    The last time I looked at the numbers, the HOF drew roughly 100k - 150k people. Not to mention, that Akron hosts the NEC World Series of Golf during that same week. The local Akron-Canton hotels fill up quickly, but Cleveland and Youngstown pick up the excess. There’s sufficient accommodations in NE Ohio to handle this.

  • @gumby73 said:

    Coming off attending the Philly draft I would question 2 seperate Locations? Does the new Canton rebuild not have the rooms? In Philly, Days 1 & 2 were a full house but Not Only Philly fans were in attendance. Many Traveled from out of state. With No transportation but 2 feet. Day 3 (rds.3-7) attendance was down. Baker is asking travelers to get lucky to book rooms in both Towns. And Honestly, with the amount of drinking that most Fans involve, most should not be on that highway to Canton..

    They would not have to book rooms in both towns....you see, they have these things called automobiles.....devices that take you from place to place that are not walkable generally.  Cleveland and Canton are only like 60 miles apart.  One can drive to both locations reasonably and quickly.  And, they can get a room in Akron....about equidistant from the two.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @the-gipper said:

    They would not have to book rooms in both towns....you see, they have these things called automobiles.....devices that take you from place to place that are not walkable generally.  Cleveland and Canton are only like 60 miles apart.  One can drive to both locations reasonably and quickly.  And, they can get a room in Akron....about equidistant from the two.

    my post can only look at this as a out of state fan like I was in Philly. It sounds not to be so fan friendly to out of state travelers.that's all. Just sounds more of Extra Cost in favor to the Buckeye State? instead of 1 stop & walk Philly. The NFL Experience is a park full of endless exhibits during all days.With real players,SB rings & Trophy. Lots of 2 days of walking,drinking to a build up to standing & watching a 4.5 hour concert nightly. You need a room/RV just to chill away for awhile. A Real Combine track & field for fans is set-up with all combine events. It's Cool. I hope that Baker does not present this as only using it as a final attraction to Canton?..Maybe the NFL splits it between 2 venues? maybe tight-arrsss Roger can afford 2?      

    @canton-dawg said:

    The last time I looked at the numbers, the HOF drew roughly 100k - 150k people. Not to mention, that Akron hosts the NEC World Series of Golf during that same week. The local Akron-Canton hotels fill up quickly, but Cleveland and Youngstown pick up the excess. There’s sufficient accommodations in NE Ohio to handle this.

    125k for day 3 sounds to be plenty of room for round 3 thru 7..It's a lot of NFL long snappers doing card tricks on stage to kill TV time😉