Skip to content

Any Good Books Lately?

Barber Shop Talk
44 8 1.9k
  • Try James Lee Burke if you like crime novels. His detective Dave Robicheaux has most of his encounters in the La. Swamp country with really well developed villains and victims. You will find most of the older ones in libraries or relatively cheap thru amazon. He has others besides Robicheaux, but I like those best.

    Start with his Edgar award winner Black Cherry Blues. One of my favorites from him is "In the Electric Mist with Confederate Dead"

    His "Lost Get-back Boogie" was nominated for the Pulitzer for fiction.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Lee_Burke

  • @westside-steve said:

    Depending on your cash flow the library has a ton of books records and DVDs. 

    Because I can only do audio books I've had a subscription to audible.com for almost 20 years.

    WSS

    I almost exclusively just get whatever books I read and DVDs that I watch from the library.   There are only 2-3 series that I will actually purchase the DVD for:  Game of Thrones, The Last Kingdom. 

    Right now I am listening to Power and Empire....which has Tom Clancy's name on it....plus whatever guy wrote it under his guise....as he obviously didn't because he has been for like 5 years. 

    (In checking, the guy writing the new books is Marc Cameron)

    @the-gipper said:

    I almost exclusively just get whatever books I read and DVDs that I watch from the library.   There are only 2-3 series that I will actually purchase the DVD for:  Game of Thrones, The Last Kingdom. 

    Right now I am listening to Power and Empire....which has Tom Clancy's name on it....plus whatever guy wrote it under his guise....as he obviously didn't because he has been for like 5 years. 

    (In checking, the guy writing the new books is Marc Cameron)

    I've been watching and listening how CDs and DVDs are getting phased out due to the popularity  streaming content especially with the new generation of consumers.....plus the costs are WAY down not to burn, stock, sell, etc.

    I've got over 100 each of VHS, eight tracks, cassettes to prove it can happen. The problem also is they quit making and selling the devices to play them on.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I almost exclusively just get whatever books I read and DVDs that I watch from the library.   There are only 2-3 series that I will actually purchase the DVD for:  Game of Thrones, The Last Kingdom. 

    Right now I am listening to Power and Empire....which has Tom Clancy's name on it....plus whatever guy wrote it under his guise....as he obviously didn't because he has been for like 5 years. 

    (In checking, the guy writing the new books is Marc Cameron)

    I've been watching and listening how CDs and DVDs are getting phased out due to the popularity  streaming content especially with the new generation of consumers.....plus the costs are WAY down not to burn, stock, sell, etc.

    I've got over 100 each of VHS, eight tracks, cassettes to prove it can happen. The problem also is they quit making and selling the devices to play them on.

    @mjp28 said:

    I've been watching and listening how CDs and DVDs are getting phased out due to the popularity  streaming content especially with the new generation of consumers.....plus the costs are WAY down not to burn, stock, sell, etc.

    I've got over 100 each of VHS, eight tracks, cassettes to prove it can happen. The problem also is they quit making and selling the devices to play them on.

    I am supposed to be getting a streaming service that my son got us for Xmas.....but have yet to get it set up at home.

  • @mjp28 said:

    I've been watching and listening how CDs and DVDs are getting phased out due to the popularity  streaming content especially with the new generation of consumers.....plus the costs are WAY down not to burn, stock, sell, etc.

    I've got over 100 each of VHS, eight tracks, cassettes to prove it can happen. The problem also is they quit making and selling the devices to play them on.

    I am supposed to be getting a streaming service that my son got us for Xmas.....but have yet to get it set up at home.

    @the-gipper said:

    I am supposed to be getting a streaming service that my son got us for Xmas.....but have yet to get it set up at home.

    How do you stream talking books off the internet? I love to read but have been dyslexic my entire life so it takes me about 3 times longer to read a book that it does my wife. I tell her I am just memorizing it. When it comes to history, I think she believes me.  LOL!😆

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am supposed to be getting a streaming service that my son got us for Xmas.....but have yet to get it set up at home.

    How do you stream talking books off the internet? I love to read but have been dyslexic my entire life so it takes me about 3 times longer to read a book that it does my wife. I tell her I am just memorizing it. When it comes to history, I think she believes me.  LOL!😆

    @texasag1969 said:

    How do you stream talking books off the internet? I love to read but have been dyslexic my entire life so it takes me about 3 times longer to read a book that it does my wife. I tell her I am just memorizing it. When it comes to history, I think she believes me.  LOL!😆

    Audible.com is great. I think there are also some different streaming services, some of them might be free but wouldn't have the selection.

    WSS

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am supposed to be getting a streaming service that my son got us for Xmas.....but have yet to get it set up at home.

    How do you stream talking books off the internet? I love to read but have been dyslexic my entire life so it takes me about 3 times longer to read a book that it does my wife. I tell her I am just memorizing it. When it comes to history, I think she believes me.  LOL!😆

    @texasag1969 said:

    How do you stream talking books off the internet? I love to read but have been dyslexic my entire life so it takes me about 3 times longer to read a book that it does my wife. I tell her I am just memorizing it. When it comes to history, I think she believes me.  LOL!😆

    It would not be for books.  It would be for movies, TV series etc.  For "streaming books"  wouldn't Kindle or some such thing do that basically?

  • @texasag1969 said:

    How do you stream talking books off the internet? I love to read but have been dyslexic my entire life so it takes me about 3 times longer to read a book that it does my wife. I tell her I am just memorizing it. When it comes to history, I think she believes me.  LOL!😆

    It would not be for books.  It would be for movies, TV series etc.  For "streaming books"  wouldn't Kindle or some such thing do that basically?

    @the-gipper said:

    It would not be for books.  It would be for movies, TV series etc.  For "streaming books"  wouldn't Kindle or some such thing do that basically?

    You can get books and magazines if you have amazon prime, I've never used it but it appears there.

    I just clicked on prime:

    1-16 of over 1,000 results for .........kindle&prime.......  "prime books free for members"   (I had to kill the link)

  • Good link there Steve-thanks. I have a Kindle Fire but my wife is always on it playing "Goldfish". But it can go to my cell phone using the app. I'll check it out. But there is still a lot to be said curling up with a good book and a cat for company when everyone else is asleep or off doing "stuff".😁

  • I got this to print from Amazon.com, they have audible narration but I'm not sure if that's the same as audio books. Prime benefits.....

    PR_2_icon_Desktop_1500.png

  • I go through a lot of them, audio books. My vision is weird so it prevents me from reading the printed word well enough to enjoy a novel. Mostly crime Thrillers and Mysteries or legal drama. With the occasional heavyweight or classical literature tossed in.

    If you are a fan of mysteries I don't think anyone is better than Harlan Coben.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    I go through a lot of them, audio books. My vision is weird so it prevents me from reading the printed word well enough to enjoy a novel. Mostly crime Thrillers and Mysteries or legal drama. With the occasional heavyweight or classical literature tossed in.

    If you are a fan of mysteries I don't think anyone is better than Harlan Coben.

    WSS

    Tell me a little more about Harlan Coben-which is your favorite book from him?

    I just ordered a good used copy of Tell No One for $5 that included shipping thru Amazon.

    Any other you would highly recommend?

  • @westside-steve said:

    I go through a lot of them, audio books. My vision is weird so it prevents me from reading the printed word well enough to enjoy a novel. Mostly crime Thrillers and Mysteries or legal drama. With the occasional heavyweight or classical literature tossed in.

    If you are a fan of mysteries I don't think anyone is better than Harlan Coben.

    WSS

    Tell me a little more about Harlan Coben-which is your favorite book from him?

    I just ordered a good used copy of Tell No One for $5 that included shipping thru Amazon.

    Any other you would highly recommend?

    @texasag1969 said:

    Tell me a little more about Harlan Coben-which is your favorite book from him?

    I just ordered a good used copy of Tell No One for $5 that included shipping thru Amazon.

    Any other you would highly recommend?

    Actually I started a long long time ago and I got deal breaker on cassette. He has a series of books starring Myron bolitar, a college basketball star who blew out his knee first day in the pros. Went to law school became a sports agent and has a series of adventurous with some of his clients accused of crimes. He also writes stand-alone books and tell no one is a good one. The reason I like him so much is that so many authors just pull attending out of their butt but his last two chapters are intricate and put the whole thing together.

    WSS

  • I generally have 3-4 going on my kindle. Last night I was reading Sebastian Bach's book.. He's a surprisingly decent writer..

    Reading '19 Minutes to Live" as well

  • we were at an auction, and bought a box of books, threw most away, but in there was some very old "Pony Boys" and

    "Saddle Boys" western novels. Never heard of them before. The pony boys novels are not written well, but the saddle boys were, and were fun to read.

       Still working on my novel. Have tended to only work on it in the winter. Went three years without touching it, LOL.

    Almost done. Over 34,000 words, 120 pages, but not structured for publication or anything yet. Like conversations between different people are on separate lines, the correct font/size, etc. We see if I can finish it before May.

  • My favorite:

    image.jpeg.14cb62e06efeb703c953baad98b48a6b.jpeg

  • My favorite:

    image.jpeg.14cb62e06efeb703c953baad98b48a6b.jpeg

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    My favorite:

    image.jpeg.14cb62e06efeb703c953baad98b48a6b.jpeg

    Should get the Pulitzer for Fiction!😆

  • I go through a lot of them, audio books. My vision is weird so it prevents me from reading the printed word well enough to enjoy a novel. Mostly crime Thrillers and Mysteries or legal drama. With the occasional heavyweight or classical literature tossed in.

    If you are a fan of mysteries I don't think anyone is better than Harlan Coben.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    If you are a fan of mysteries I don't think anyone is better than Harlan Coben.

    WSS

    Coben is great if you like those see if you can find books by English author Mark Billingham and his Tom Thorne series. They’re excellent. 

  • Re-read Sharpe's Tiger by Bernard Cornwell.  He is my favorite author and I tend to re-read a number of his works (having read them all previously).

    I am also in the middle of listening to The Secret Adversary....by Agatha Christie.  It was written in like 1922.  I do go in for this sort of "fluff" if you want to call it that at times....especially in CD books.  It takes me like a month or 6 weeks to get through these sometimes because I continuously fall asleep listening to them.  Which is fine.....and sometimes why I get them.

  • Completed "All the Light We Cannot See". It won the Pulitzer for a very good reason. Very well written with many a paragraph that makes you stop and think a while about life, the universe, human nature, war and it's affects on lives and a wonderful recreation of life in France as an occupied and then liberated country. Well worth all the hours reading and thinking about it over the last several weeks. Excellent complicated characters throughout that make you feel they could have lived in more than just fiction. Only our civil war can approach what France went through during WW II. Read and enjoy. It took the author 10 years to write it and the end result reflects that fact. Makes me want to return to Paris and the Normandy coast with a now different perspective. Somewhat like we did visiting the WW I battlegrounds with my gransfather's first hand accounts in his war diary.

  • Black Alpha and Omega Bible