Any Good Books Lately?
-
Good link there Steve-thanks. I have a Kindle Fire but my wife is always on it playing "Goldfish". But it can go to my cell phone using the app. I'll check it out. But there is still a lot to be said curling up with a good book and a cat for company when everyone else is asleep or off doing "stuff".

-
I go through a lot of them, audio books. My vision is weird so it prevents me from reading the printed word well enough to enjoy a novel. Mostly crime Thrillers and Mysteries or legal drama. With the occasional heavyweight or classical literature tossed in.
If you are a fan of mysteries I don't think anyone is better than Harlan Coben.
WSS
I go through a lot of them, audio books. My vision is weird so it prevents me from reading the printed word well enough to enjoy a novel. Mostly crime Thrillers and Mysteries or legal drama. With the occasional heavyweight or classical literature tossed in.
If you are a fan of mysteries I don't think anyone is better than Harlan Coben.
WSS
Tell me a little more about Harlan Coben-which is your favorite book from him?
I just ordered a good used copy of Tell No One for $5 that included shipping thru Amazon.
Any other you would highly recommend?
-
I go through a lot of them, audio books. My vision is weird so it prevents me from reading the printed word well enough to enjoy a novel. Mostly crime Thrillers and Mysteries or legal drama. With the occasional heavyweight or classical literature tossed in.
If you are a fan of mysteries I don't think anyone is better than Harlan Coben.
WSS
Tell me a little more about Harlan Coben-which is your favorite book from him?
I just ordered a good used copy of Tell No One for $5 that included shipping thru Amazon.
Any other you would highly recommend?
Tell me a little more about Harlan Coben-which is your favorite book from him?
I just ordered a good used copy of Tell No One for $5 that included shipping thru Amazon.
Any other you would highly recommend?
Actually I started a long long time ago and I got deal breaker on cassette. He has a series of books starring Myron bolitar, a college basketball star who blew out his knee first day in the pros. Went to law school became a sports agent and has a series of adventurous with some of his clients accused of crimes. He also writes stand-alone books and tell no one is a good one. The reason I like him so much is that so many authors just pull attending out of their butt but his last two chapters are intricate and put the whole thing together.
WSS
-
we were at an auction, and bought a box of books, threw most away, but in there was some very old "Pony Boys" and
"Saddle Boys" western novels. Never heard of them before. The pony boys novels are not written well, but the saddle boys were, and were fun to read.
Still working on my novel. Have tended to only work on it in the winter. Went three years without touching it, LOL.
Almost done. Over 34,000 words, 120 pages, but not structured for publication or anything yet. Like conversations between different people are on separate lines, the correct font/size, etc. We see if I can finish it before May.
-
My favorite:

-
My favorite:

My favorite:
Should get the Pulitzer for Fiction!

-
I go through a lot of them, audio books. My vision is weird so it prevents me from reading the printed word well enough to enjoy a novel. Mostly crime Thrillers and Mysteries or legal drama. With the occasional heavyweight or classical literature tossed in.
If you are a fan of mysteries I don't think anyone is better than Harlan Coben.
WSS
If you are a fan of mysteries I don't think anyone is better than Harlan Coben.
WSS
Coben is great if you like those see if you can find books by English author Mark Billingham and his Tom Thorne series. They’re excellent.
-
Re-read Sharpe's Tiger by Bernard Cornwell. He is my favorite author and I tend to re-read a number of his works (having read them all previously).
I am also in the middle of listening to The Secret Adversary....by Agatha Christie. It was written in like 1922. I do go in for this sort of "fluff" if you want to call it that at times....especially in CD books. It takes me like a month or 6 weeks to get through these sometimes because I continuously fall asleep listening to them. Which is fine.....and sometimes why I get them.
-
Completed "All the Light We Cannot See". It won the Pulitzer for a very good reason. Very well written with many a paragraph that makes you stop and think a while about life, the universe, human nature, war and it's affects on lives and a wonderful recreation of life in France as an occupied and then liberated country. Well worth all the hours reading and thinking about it over the last several weeks. Excellent complicated characters throughout that make you feel they could have lived in more than just fiction. Only our civil war can approach what France went through during WW II. Read and enjoy. It took the author 10 years to write it and the end result reflects that fact. Makes me want to return to Paris and the Normandy coast with a now different perspective. Somewhat like we did visiting the WW I battlegrounds with my gransfather's first hand accounts in his war diary.
-

-
Ah, full of murder, adultery, envy, power grabbing and most hopefully forgiveness.
Who's your favorite character?
Mine is Thomas because even though he knew Jesus personally, he was still allowed to doubt even after the resurrection.
One of the most spiritual experiences I have ever had was in the Gothic Cathedral in Barcelona, Spain. My grandmother was the most spiritual person I have ever known even though her first born daughter died at age 3 from the Spanish flu epidemic and her first born son (for whom I was named) died at age 17. My son lost his first son at 5 1/2 months in vitro. So as I'm walking through the cathedral I am looking at the panels inside that depict the life of Jesus and I'm thinking about my Catholic grandmother & my son with those lost children and I come to the panel showing doubting Thomas being allowed to feel the wounds of Christ. Like I said he has always been my favorite and just as I recognize it I hear for the first time the start of singing from the children's choir and I knew that it was my grandmother's way of telling me there is hope for us all. Because I was named for her deceased son, we had always had a very special bond.
-
Religious books then?:
-

-
Tell me a little more about Harlan Coben-which is your favorite book from him?
I just ordered a good used copy of Tell No One for $5 that included shipping thru Amazon.
Any other you would highly recommend?
Actually I started a long long time ago and I got deal breaker on cassette. He has a series of books starring Myron bolitar, a college basketball star who blew out his knee first day in the pros. Went to law school became a sports agent and has a series of adventurous with some of his clients accused of crimes. He also writes stand-alone books and tell no one is a good one. The reason I like him so much is that so many authors just pull attending out of their butt but his last two chapters are intricate and put the whole thing together.
WSS
Actually I started a long long time ago and I got deal breaker on cassette. He has a series of books starring Myron bolitar, a college basketball star who blew out his knee first day in the pros. Went to law school became a sports agent and has a series of adventurous with some of his clients accused of crimes. He also writes stand-alone books and tell no one is a good one. The reason I like him so much is that so many authors just pull attending out of their butt but his last two chapters are intricate and put the whole thing together.
WSS
Just now starting "Tell No One" by Coben and then plan to read "Origin" by Dan Brown because it takes place in Spain including places I have been in Madrid and Barcelona. My brother older went there with me and says I will love the book.
-
Actually I started a long long time ago and I got deal breaker on cassette. He has a series of books starring Myron bolitar, a college basketball star who blew out his knee first day in the pros. Went to law school became a sports agent and has a series of adventurous with some of his clients accused of crimes. He also writes stand-alone books and tell no one is a good one. The reason I like him so much is that so many authors just pull attending out of their butt but his last two chapters are intricate and put the whole thing together.
WSS
Just now starting "Tell No One" by Coben and then plan to read "Origin" by Dan Brown because it takes place in Spain including places I have been in Madrid and Barcelona. My brother older went there with me and says I will love the book.
Just now starting "Tell No One" by Coben and then plan to read "Origin" by Dan Brown because it takes place in Spain including places I have been in Madrid and Barcelona. My brother older went there with me and says I will love the book.
I have read Origin.....it starts out in Bilbao, then moves to Barcelona.
-

-
Finished "Tell No One" and I did not like it near as well as I like just about any James Lee Burke novel.
Now just started "Origin" and when that's done I move on to a real "thriller", Wrinkles in Time by George Smoot. I like to sprinkle in Science and History with fiction. My dad used to call it, "Discipline reading".
It's how I keep an active mind rather than just an entertained one.
-

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login