Skip to content

Any Good Books Lately?

Barber Shop Talk
44 8 1.9k
  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #34

    Ah, full of murder, adultery, envy, power grabbing and most hopefully forgiveness.

    Who's your favorite character? 

    Mine is Thomas because even though he knew Jesus personally, he was still allowed to doubt even after the resurrection.

    One of  the most spiritual experiences I have ever had was in the Gothic Cathedral in Barcelona, Spain. My grandmother was the most spiritual person I have ever known even though her first born daughter died at age 3 from the Spanish flu epidemic and her first born son (for whom I was named) died at age 17. My son lost his first son at 5 1/2 months in vitro. So as I'm walking through the cathedral I am looking at the panels inside that depict the life of Jesus and I'm thinking about my Catholic grandmother & my son with those lost children and I come to the panel showing doubting Thomas being allowed to feel the wounds of Christ. Like I said he has always been my favorite and just as I recognize it I hear for the first time the start of singing from the children's choir and I knew that it was my grandmother's way of telling me there is hope for us all. Because I was named for her deceased son, we had always had a very special bond.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #35

    Religious books then?:

    9780307434630

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #36

    917-Fus2PqL.jpg

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Tell me a little more about Harlan Coben-which is your favorite book from him?

    I just ordered a good used copy of Tell No One for $5 that included shipping thru Amazon.

    Any other you would highly recommend?

    Actually I started a long long time ago and I got deal breaker on cassette. He has a series of books starring Myron bolitar, a college basketball star who blew out his knee first day in the pros. Went to law school became a sports agent and has a series of adventurous with some of his clients accused of crimes. He also writes stand-alone books and tell no one is a good one. The reason I like him so much is that so many authors just pull attending out of their butt but his last two chapters are intricate and put the whole thing together.

    WSS

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #37

    @westside-steve said:

    Actually I started a long long time ago and I got deal breaker on cassette. He has a series of books starring Myron bolitar, a college basketball star who blew out his knee first day in the pros. Went to law school became a sports agent and has a series of adventurous with some of his clients accused of crimes. He also writes stand-alone books and tell no one is a good one. The reason I like him so much is that so many authors just pull attending out of their butt but his last two chapters are intricate and put the whole thing together.

    WSS

    Just now starting "Tell No One" by Coben and then plan to read "Origin" by Dan Brown because it takes place in Spain including places I have been in Madrid and Barcelona. My brother older went there with me and says I will love the book.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Actually I started a long long time ago and I got deal breaker on cassette. He has a series of books starring Myron bolitar, a college basketball star who blew out his knee first day in the pros. Went to law school became a sports agent and has a series of adventurous with some of his clients accused of crimes. He also writes stand-alone books and tell no one is a good one. The reason I like him so much is that so many authors just pull attending out of their butt but his last two chapters are intricate and put the whole thing together.

    WSS

    Just now starting "Tell No One" by Coben and then plan to read "Origin" by Dan Brown because it takes place in Spain including places I have been in Madrid and Barcelona. My brother older went there with me and says I will love the book.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @texasag1969 said:

    Just now starting "Tell No One" by Coben and then plan to read "Origin" by Dan Brown because it takes place in Spain including places I have been in Madrid and Barcelona. My brother older went there with me and says I will love the book.

    I have read Origin.....it starts out in Bilbao, then moves to Barcelona.

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #39

    Image result for Book of Mormon pic

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #40

    Finished "Tell No One" and I did not like it near as well as I like just about any James Lee Burke novel.

    Now just started "Origin" and when that's done I move on to a real "thriller", Wrinkles in Time by George Smoot. I like to sprinkle in Science and History with fiction. My dad used to call it, "Discipline reading". 😁 It's how I keep an active mind rather than just an entertained one.🙂

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #41

    Image result

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #42

    Coming May 22, 2018.

    51WgIt0OpvL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  • @westside-steve said:

    If you are a fan of mysteries I don't think anyone is better than Harlan Coben.

    WSS

    Coben is great if you like those see if you can find books by English author Mark Billingham and his Tom Thorne series. They’re excellent. 

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #43

    @londonbrown said:

    Coben is great if you like those see if you can find books by English author Mark Billingham and his Tom Thorne series. They’re excellent. 

    He has a series called the five on British TV. We just watched it!

    I will look for the other  fellow.

    Also watching British TV series line of duty. Really good stuff.

    WSS

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #44

    Completed reading Dan Brown's "Origin" which I thoroughly enjoyed primarily because it takes place in Spain, one of my favorite countries to visit. And especially since some of it takes place inside Gaudi's Sagrada Familia Catholic church in Barcelona, a truly remarkable experience in and of itself. It has an organic design inside totally unexpected from what you see outside. Those are "living" trees which hold up the structure of the church and it's full of natural light that is at it's peak when the sun is directly overhead. Take a look and put it on your bucket list of places to see.

    Edit: I put it up there with Michelangelo's "David" in Florence, the Eiffel Tower and Teotihuacan's Pyramids of the Sun and Moon in Mexico as 3 "must sees" for anyone.

    https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A9FJtrzTcxZbqzEAJj8PxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=inside+sagrada+familia&fr=yhs-pty-pty_forms&hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_forms#id=4&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Ftraveldailypic.files.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F11%2Fsa.jpg%3Fw%3D800&action=click

    EDIT #2: Now on to heavy "discipline reading" in Nobel Prize winner in astrophysics George Smoot's "Wrinkles in Time". A little Big Bang and proof by cosmic background radiation detection. We shall see if it ranks up there with one of my favorite biographies, Walter Isaacson's "Einstein".