Skip to content

The Combine - a few days away...

The Browns Board
152 20 3.3k
  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #1

    My favorite drill is the gauntlet.  

    How fast can you run, and catch the ball, with very little time to see and react to it?  

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #2

    I'll watch as much if the combine as I can. I'm starved for football. Always love the 40

  • I'll watch as much if the combine as I can. I'm starved for football. Always love the 40

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @mld-woody said:

    I'll watch as much if the combine as I can. I'm starved for football. Always love the 40

    Oh god yes, plus with this BROWNS offseason and huge draft picking class it should be informative. 

    ......the closest thing we've had in hitting  since the super bowl has been the sock-her 1 yard flop. 😆

  • My favorite drill is the gauntlet.  

    How fast can you run, and catch the ball, with very little time to see and react to it?  

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @orion said:

    My favorite drill is the gauntlet.  

    How fast can you run, and catch the ball, with very little time to see and react to it?  

    Yeah, I enjoy the Underwear Olympics too.  That gauntlet drill is very challenging but it's very good at revealing what guys catch the ball with their hands and which ones rely on their bodies.

    Believe it or not, outside of the 40 - my favorite thing watch are the quick out patterns.  The 2 QBs (Watson and Trubisky) that did the best in that drill last year emerged as the best 2 QBs of their class IMO.  Something as little as listening to the instructions of the drill by NOT waiting for the receiver but throwing the ball to where is is supposed to be is often the difference between moving the chains and a pick 6.  I just couldn't get over how often both Trubisky and Watson bulls eyed those throws last year.

    So much so that when someone couldn't wait to rip Watson apart with the velocity of throw - I said Weeden had velocity of throw rendered worthless just as often as Derek Anderson did. And why?  He was always late with his reads and his throws.  Pre-snap intelligence/prep can help guys overcome the velocity of throw stuff. Don't believe me?  Watch every game Houston played when they were leading the AFC in scoring offense. Then watch them with Tom Savage's much better throwing velocity and you tell me how much that stuff matters.  That's only 1 intangible of many... To a smaller extent, Hoyer was outplaying Weeden before he blew out his knee, which carried over to our 7-4 start nobody saw coming the next year.  His other shortcomings eventually caught up with him; but seeing our record since that 7-4 start sure makes me appreciate that accomplishment (without Josh Gordon btw for all but 1 of those wins)...

    After watching and appreciating QBs here like Kosar and Sipe - I've become a HUGE fan of the unique.  Those guys had imperfections they consistently overcame with great success.  Brian Sipe never had that Mike Phipps throwing velocity or arm strength. In fact, when he was drafted all the way back in round 13 -  there's a lot of different teams telling him don't even bother...  Where he clobbered Phipps was being on time with his throws, pocket presence, pre-snap reads, vision, poise, accuracy and of course - improvise. AND, on the days he had a forgettable first 58 minutes - his last 2 minutes were unforgettable and exciting enough to warrant the name Kardiac Kids.  Unfortunately, like so many other NFL MVP QBs we've seen over the years - his post season ended with Billy Ray Cyrus-level Achey Breaky Heart...  I'll take that over 1-31 football all day every day....

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Saquon Barkley will run a 2.9 forty. Book it. 😆

  • B boo fagley wrote on last edited by
    #6

    Josh Allen will be there.

  • Josh Allen will be there.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @boo-fagley said:

    Josh Allen will be there.

    Will the broad side of the barn that he misses regularly be there too?

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #8

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-combine-heres-a-look-at-the-drills-and-the-prospects-who-could-ace-them/

    • Friday, March 2: RB, OL, K, ST
    • Saturday, March 3: QB, WR, TE
    • Sunday, March 4: DL, LB
    • Monday, March 5: DB
  • https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-combine-heres-a-look-at-the-drills-and-the-prospects-who-could-ace-them/

    • Friday, March 2: RB, OL, K, ST
    • Saturday, March 3: QB, WR, TE
    • Sunday, March 4: DL, LB
    • Monday, March 5: DB
    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @texasag1969 said:

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-combine-heres-a-look-at-the-drills-and-the-prospects-who-could-ace-them/

    • Friday, March 2: RB, OL, K, ST
    • Saturday, March 3: QB, WR, TE
    • Sunday, March 4: DL, LB
    • Monday, March 5: DB

    Thanks Aggies!  I took Friday and Monday off from work so I'm glad to see the position groups slated for those days. 

  • darren15D darren15 wrote on last edited by darren15
    #10

    I wont miss a second ....as the Browns GM I owe it to the fans to be thorough ........ if anyone wants me I will be in the closet making out with Jennifer Garner.

  • Saquon Barkley will run a 2.9 forty. Book it. 😆

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @dutch-oven said:

    Saquon Barkley will run a 2.9 forty. Book it. 😆

    😆 And just wait til we see him run it forward Dutch.

    Based on everything I've heard, it sounds like I should put some cake down that he's gonna finish before Charley's Casserlys even completes the start click on his stop watch.   Stay tuned...

  • NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by Nero
    #12

    I will just watch the highlights. I'm not THAT hooked to this sport (yet?). 

    But I will thoroughly read what you guys post about your impressions 😉 Finally something new for the draft talk we have been running here since October!

  • @boo-fagley said:

    Josh Allen will be there.

    Will the broad side of the barn that he misses regularly be there too?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @dutch-oven said:

    Will the broad side of the barn that he misses regularly be there too?

    I see the camps of:

    A. Darnold

    B. Rosen

    C. Allen

    D. the other guys

    Face it they just can't agree on anything, I agree too.....that this quarterback class is, uhhhh, unspectacular?  Now where's my dead horse, any bones still left?

  • @boo-fagley said:

    Josh Allen will be there.

    Will the broad side of the barn that he misses regularly be there too?

    B boo fagley wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @dutch-oven said:

    Will the broad side of the barn that he misses regularly be there too?

    The "Great One" Rosen will be arriving on the red carpet via limo.

    The Pre Madonna will be a bust just watch. Allen is the next QB who will a star in the NFL.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Will the broad side of the barn that he misses regularly be there too?

    The "Great One" Rosen will be arriving on the red carpet via limo.

    The Pre Madonna will be a bust just watch. Allen is the next QB who will a star in the NFL.

    S SD_Tom wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @boo-fagley said:

    The "Great One" Rosen will be arriving on the red carpet via limo.

    The Pre Madonna will be a bust just watch. Allen is the next QB who will a star in the NFL.

    Pre Madonna or Post Madonna? 

    In all seriousness,  show me one single game where Allen looked better than Rosen did in his debut as a true freshman. How fitting that his first pass was a complete dime,  and was dropped. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Will the broad side of the barn that he misses regularly be there too?

    I see the camps of:

    A. Darnold

    B. Rosen

    C. Allen

    D. the other guys

    Face it they just can't agree on anything, I agree too.....that this quarterback class is, uhhhh, unspectacular?  Now where's my dead horse, any bones still left?

    S SD_Tom wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @mjp28 said:

    I see the camps of:

    A. Darnold

    B. Rosen

    C. Allen

    D. the other guys

    Face it they just can't agree on anything, I agree too.....that this quarterback class is, uhhhh, unspectacular?  Now where's my dead horse, any bones still left?

    I really want to see Lamar Jackson.  Very underrated as a passer imo. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Will the broad side of the barn that he misses regularly be there too?

    The "Great One" Rosen will be arriving on the red carpet via limo.

    The Pre Madonna will be a bust just watch. Allen is the next QB who will a star in the NFL.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @boo-fagley said:

    The "Great One" Rosen will be arriving on the red carpet via limo.

    The Pre Madonna will be a bust just watch. Allen is the next QB who will a star in the NFL.

    And if he's available with the #33 overall pick, I think the Browns should possibly consider taking him. 

    Possibly... 

  • @boo-fagley said:

    Josh Allen will be there.

    Will the broad side of the barn that he misses regularly be there too?

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @dutch-oven said:

    Will the broad side of the barn that he misses regularly be there too?

    There's a guy that needs the combine.  And needs to show that he's as good as anyone else in shorts.

  • I will just watch the highlights. I'm not THAT hooked to this sport (yet?). 

    But I will thoroughly read what you guys post about your impressions 😉 Finally something new for the draft talk we have been running here since October!

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @nero said:

    I will just watch the highlights. I'm not THAT hooked to this sport (yet?). 

    But I will thoroughly read what you guys post about your impressions 😉 Finally something new for the draft talk we have been running here since October!

    You should watch if you have the opportunity.

    Catch some podcasts on the draft too. First Draft with McShay and Kiper or PFF's Draft podcast

  • @mjp28 said:

    I see the camps of:

    A. Darnold

    B. Rosen

    C. Allen

    D. the other guys

    Face it they just can't agree on anything, I agree too.....that this quarterback class is, uhhhh, unspectacular?  Now where's my dead horse, any bones still left?

    I really want to see Lamar Jackson.  Very underrated as a passer imo. 

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @sd_tom said:

    I really want to see Lamar Jackson.  Very underrated as a passer imo. 

    I agree. If handled correctly, could be very good.