Skip to content

I am to be featured in a Travel Magazine Article

Barber Shop Talk
62 9 3.1k 1
  • Gip do you keep a pen and paper journal or trip notes on your travels -or- just put everything in the computer if so do you use tablets and wifi on the road and main frame at home? The digital world has become so much easier but I still like hand written notes.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @mjp28 said:

    Gip do you keep a pen and paper journal or trip notes on your travels -or- just put everything in the computer if so do you use tablets and wifi on the road and main frame at home? The digital world has become so much easier but I still like hand written notes.

    None of the above. I don't do any of that.   This article will not be about   what I may have seen or did on my trips....

    to be honest, other than being about me, somewhat....I don't know what it will be about exactly.  How I have used my timeshare perhaps...as that is the focus of this magazine.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Generally, we want to go to Yellowstone. Details aren't researched much yet.

    Make sure you see the Grand Tetons while there just to the south of Yellowstone. And Cody has a complex of museums in one location full of western art, plains indian life, western firearms, etc. Well worth spending a day there for an outdoorsman like yourself cal.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @texasag1969 said:

    Make sure you see the Grand Tetons while there just to the south of Yellowstone. And Cody has a complex of museums in one location full of western art, plains indian life, western firearms, etc. Well worth spending a day there for an outdoorsman like yourself cal.

    My brother used to live in Cody.  And more than the outdoors stuff.....Cal can go visit some of his idols, by visiting the Prince ranch in Wapiti, outside the east gate of Yellowstone.  It is the western home of Erik Prince and his sister Betsy DeVos. (plus their Mother Estel who is still alive I believe). My sister in law ran their household for some years, and my brother worked part time on their ranch.

    You can go there to the local elemenary school to see where the Grizzly Bears wander the hallways.😆

  • @the-gipper said:

    I have been to every state...and to  48 of them on more than one occasion  (Alaska and South Dakota...only once).   I have been to the 100 largest cities in the USA....but not to #101...which is Spokane Wash.   I have been to 52 of the 59 US National Parks (of the 7....5 are in Alaska reachable only be float plane.....one is in Samoa...and the other one is in Calif.....but it is fairly new).  There are 417 National Park units.  I have been to 335 of these....and plan to get to 4 more here the first week of April.  Plus one in June...plus another 3 in August.

    I have been to all of the Canadian Provinces...except Nunavut....and I have been to all of the major Canadian cities.  (depending on what you consider "major")

    But I have not done that much international travel as others have.  Only non-US nations I have been to are Canada, Mexico, Ireland, UK, and France.  Also...Cayman Islands...but that is actually a UK possession.

    Where is your "out west" trip to you are planning?

    Generally, we want to go to Yellowstone. Details aren't researched much yet.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #13

    @calfoxwc said:

    Generally, we want to go to Yellowstone. Details aren't researched much yet.

    Is there anything particular you want to know.  I have been there a few times...and as I said, my brother lived near there.

    In fact, the photo accompanying the article featuring me will be of me at Yellowstone.  Here is a link to my facebook page where you can see that photo:

    https://www.facebook.com/thomas.gipson.75

    (yes, that is a Browns hat that I am wearing)

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Went to San Antonio and stayed on the Riverwalk a couple of days this past Th, Fr. As we took the grandkids to the Alamo I was looking over the names of the fallen and where they came from. I noted that 4 were from Ohio. But ironically 11 were from Ireland and possibly a 12th since he is listed as Ireland or England. And I have no idea how one from Denmark ended up there. And I love the T-shirt with Crockett's last words to the US Congress, "You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas".😁

  • Went to San Antonio and stayed on the Riverwalk a couple of days this past Th, Fr. As we took the grandkids to the Alamo I was looking over the names of the fallen and where they came from. I noted that 4 were from Ohio. But ironically 11 were from Ireland and possibly a 12th since he is listed as Ireland or England. And I have no idea how one from Denmark ended up there. And I love the T-shirt with Crockett's last words to the US Congress, "You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas".😁

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @texasag1969 said:

    ......, "You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas".😁

    It that quintessential Texas or what! 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    ......, "You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas".😁

    It that quintessential Texas or what! 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @mjp28 said:

    It that quintessential Texas or what! 

    Yep-kind of like the flag they made up on the spur of the moment at Gonzales in 1835 (year before the Alamo). Picture of a cannon with the words, "Come And Take It"

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_and_take_it

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #17

    OK, the Article is here, though it is not really an article, just a blurb and a photo.    Click on this:

    https://www.intervalworld.com/iimedia/magazine/ii/iwna2018no1/index.html#3

    By the way....that is a Browns hat I am wearing. But I have since lost that hat.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #18

    tumblr_mk9pi8gezK1qz8lmvo1_400.jpg

  • NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #19

    So many travels... And never been to Spain... Shame on you!

  • So many travels... And never been to Spain... Shame on you!

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @nero said:

    So many travels... And never been to Spain... Shame on you!

    But he's been to Oklahoma.😆

  • So many travels... And never been to Spain... Shame on you!

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @nero said:

    So many travels... And never been to Spain... Shame on you!

    Have been to Europe only twice:  once to England and France, once to Ireland.   But Spain is on my Bucket List.  My thinking is southern Spain....Costa Del Sol....unless you can convince me that another part of Spain would be better to visit.    Barcelona maybe?

  • @nero said:

    So many travels... And never been to Spain... Shame on you!

    But he's been to Oklahoma.😆

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #22

    @texasag1969 said:

    But he's been to Oklahoma.😆

    I will be spending a week in Oklahoma later this summer.  The northeast corner, near Afton/Miami.  On a place called Monkey Island.  Ever hear of it?

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @westside-steve said:

    tumblr_mk9pi8gezK1qz8lmvo1_400.jpg

    So....are you saying that YOU were featured in this magazine?

    Congratulations

  • @westside-steve said:

    tumblr_mk9pi8gezK1qz8lmvo1_400.jpg

    So....are you saying that YOU were featured in this magazine?

    Congratulations

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @the-gipper said:

    So....are you saying that YOU were featured in this magazine?

    Congratulations

    Come to think of it between the two of us I'm the only one attractive enough to be considered...

    That may be a pretty low bar but still...

    WSS

  • @nero said:

    So many travels... And never been to Spain... Shame on you!

    Have been to Europe only twice:  once to England and France, once to Ireland.   But Spain is on my Bucket List.  My thinking is southern Spain....Costa Del Sol....unless you can convince me that another part of Spain would be better to visit.    Barcelona maybe?

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @the-gipper said:

    Have been to Europe only twice:  once to England and France, once to Ireland.   But Spain is on my Bucket List.  My thinking is southern Spain....Costa Del Sol....unless you can convince me that another part of Spain would be better to visit.    Barcelona maybe?

    Barcelona is a must visit. Pamplona, San Sebastián and Bilbao are a nice trip to do in 2 days by Northern Spain 😉

    If you're into green views full of mountains and amazing gastronomy, there's not quite a place like North. 

    Anyway, used as you are to long car trips, it takes 12h to cross Spain from North to South, so you could do a nice tour. We have many different things in a quite compact territory (comparing to USA).  

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
    #26

    Incidently.. My Brother took his family to Sedona last week.. He told me the area is impeccably clean... He couldnt stop lamenting on it.. The cleanest city I've been to I have to say .. It would be Barcelona..  It is immaculate...

  • @the-gipper said:

    So....are you saying that YOU were featured in this magazine?

    Congratulations

    Come to think of it between the two of us I'm the only one attractive enough to be considered...

    That may be a pretty low bar but still...

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @westside-steve said:

    Come to think of it between the two of us I'm the only one attractive enough to be considered...

    That may be a pretty low bar but still...

    WSS

    Yea, but which of us would Lilly Von Schtupp want to Schtupp?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Have been to Europe only twice:  once to England and France, once to Ireland.   But Spain is on my Bucket List.  My thinking is southern Spain....Costa Del Sol....unless you can convince me that another part of Spain would be better to visit.    Barcelona maybe?

    Barcelona is a must visit. Pamplona, San Sebastián and Bilbao are a nice trip to do in 2 days by Northern Spain 😉

    If you're into green views full of mountains and amazing gastronomy, there's not quite a place like North. 

    Anyway, used as you are to long car trips, it takes 12h to cross Spain from North to South, so you could do a nice tour. We have many different things in a quite compact territory (comparing to USA).  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @nero said:

    Barcelona is a must visit. Pamplona, San Sebastián and Bilbao are a nice trip to do in 2 days by Northern Spain 😉

    If you're into green views full of mountains and amazing gastronomy, there's not quite a place like North. 

    Anyway, used as you are to long car trips, it takes 12h to cross Spain from North to South, so you could do a nice tour. We have many different things in a quite compact territory (comparing to USA).  

    Well.....as you see,   I was featured in a timeshare magazine, which means I often get a condo for a week in one place and go from there.  That is why the Costa Del Sol was sort of the spot I considered, because there are a number of those down there. I don't see anything in my TS group in Pamplona or Bilbao...but there are some in Zaragosa, Formigal, Viella.  Maybe those could work for the north?  Maybe the other company may have some there . In checking I do see one in Asturia, and another in Urgunne, France, just over the border from San Sebastian.  There are some in Barcelona.

  • Incidently.. My Brother took his family to Sedona last week.. He told me the area is impeccably clean... He couldnt stop lamenting on it.. The cleanest city I've been to I have to say .. It would be Barcelona..  It is immaculate...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @nickers said:

    Incidently.. My Brother took his family to Sedona last week.. He told me the area is impeccably clean... He couldnt stop lamenting on it.. The cleanest city I've been to I have to say .. It would be Barcelona..  It is immaculate...

    Clean?   I don't know about clean.  I guess it is.  I have been there a few times.  WSS and I have some good friends that live there.  It is one of the most beautiful places in the country for sure....and I guess they keep it very clean.  Lots of top tourist places keep things clean. Except, probably New York City.😉

  • Incidently.. My Brother took his family to Sedona last week.. He told me the area is impeccably clean... He couldnt stop lamenting on it.. The cleanest city I've been to I have to say .. It would be Barcelona..  It is immaculate...

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @nickers said:

    Incidently.. My Brother took his family to Sedona last week.. He told me the area is impeccably clean... He couldnt stop lamenting on it.. The cleanest city I've been to I have to say .. It would be Barcelona..  It is immaculate...

    Well. Not trying to brag here... But I'd bet Pamplona is cleaner. Unles you come in Sanfermines. Maybe San Sebastián too. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Well.....as you see,   I was featured in a timeshare magazine, which means I often get a condo for a week in one place and go from there.  That is why the Costa Del Sol was sort of the spot I considered, because there are a number of those down there. I don't see anything in my TS group in Pamplona or Bilbao...but there are some in Zaragosa, Formigal, Viella.  Maybe those could work for the north?  Maybe the other company may have some there . In checking I do see one in Asturia, and another in Urgunne, France, just over the border from San Sebastian.  There are some in Barcelona.

    If you're thinking about one single trip, I would never tell you to come and visit the North before Barcelona. You should go first to Barcelona. 

    I don't know how much do you travel during your trips (I guessed that as an american you must be used to take the car for long journeys), but I'd say that Zaragoza is a nice 'base camp' if you're into visiting many places. If you're travelling to the North, though, you should do it on summer. It rains a lot in northern cities (Pamplona, Vitoria, Bilbao, San Sebastián). 

    Distances by car (aprox). Totals from Zaragoza. 

    Zaragoza - Madrid: 3h 

    Zaragoza - Barcelona: 3h

    Zaragoza - Pamplona: 2h 

    Pamplona - Bilbao: 2h - - total 4h 

    Pamplona - Vitoria: 1h (midway to Bilbao) - -total 3h

    Pamplona - San Sebastián: 1h - - total 4h 

    There is a high speed railway which connects Sevilla - Madrid - Zaragoza - Barcelona.

    Vitoria is a nice city, very similar to Pamplona but with maybe less 'history', Zaragoza's riverside with Pilar's cathedral is gorgeous, and so is Bilbao's riverside (thanks to Guggenheim effect). San Sebastián is a very beautiful city overall, and has a nice beautiful beach La Concha.