Skip to content

Sam Darnold's Interview at the Combine

The Browns Board
23 13 593
  • So which of these guys are the Browns bringing in to interview more in depth? That will be the key.

    @texasag1969 said:

    So which of these guys are the Browns bringing in to interview more in depth? That will be the key.

    I'm sure all of them, even if only to keep everyone guessing. 

  • Darnold isn't all that much a talker - that's what I took away from it. But he was himself - admitted he was working on his hips, and of course, the fumbles, etc.

    Allen had a great interview - the whole stadium was buzzing about him - and the interview was the icing on the cake. He admitted he was working on his footwork, etc.

    Mayfield - is supremely and aggressively confident, very, very serious and talkative, just comes naturally that a kid who had to walk on and made himself a successful, bigtime star qb...that comes with the territory I suppose.

    Rosen - not a bad interview, not really a good interview. Canned answers, you can tell he was reaching for the right way to say things in his eyes, seemed nervous. Whatever. He didn't say "all you little people suck, and I can't wait til I'm a rich punk so I can smart off to everybody, and yell at my offensive line in the pros" like Jay Cutler did. He sounded like he didn't have a crap personality, as much as he had to be friendly and cover up almost having one. 🙄

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/14/cutler-caught-on-camera-swearing-at-offensive-line/

    Lamar Jackson - had a tough time, you'd never know it by listening to him - but constant questions about maybe moving to wide receiver, one question about racial slurs (Lamar said he didn't know anything about that)...til eventually it turned to football.

    I'm really rooting for this kid.

  • They will have to look more at Jackson's games than pay attention to his horrible throws in the combine. He was trying too hard to guide the ball rather than just sling it.

    EDIT: It is still my opinion that Rosen is the best QB, but the real test will be from all the physicals they went through at the combine. Durability would make me lean more to Darnold. If Allen had had any credible games he would be up there on durability as well. But he doesn't so he's around 4th place.

  • Kid is definitely from southern California.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    Kid is definitely from southern California.

    tenor.gif?itemid=4706127

  • Darnold isn't all that much a talker - that's what I took away from it. But he was himself - admitted he was working on his hips, and of course, the fumbles, etc.

    Allen had a great interview - the whole stadium was buzzing about him - and the interview was the icing on the cake. He admitted he was working on his footwork, etc.

    Mayfield - is supremely and aggressively confident, very, very serious and talkative, just comes naturally that a kid who had to walk on and made himself a successful, bigtime star qb...that comes with the territory I suppose.

    Rosen - not a bad interview, not really a good interview. Canned answers, you can tell he was reaching for the right way to say things in his eyes, seemed nervous. Whatever. He didn't say "all you little people suck, and I can't wait til I'm a rich punk so I can smart off to everybody, and yell at my offensive line in the pros" like Jay Cutler did. He sounded like he didn't have a crap personality, as much as he had to be friendly and cover up almost having one. 🙄

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/14/cutler-caught-on-camera-swearing-at-offensive-line/

    Lamar Jackson - had a tough time, you'd never know it by listening to him - but constant questions about maybe moving to wide receiver, one question about racial slurs (Lamar said he didn't know anything about that)...til eventually it turned to football.

    I'm really rooting for this kid.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Lamar Jackson - had a tough time, you'd never know it by listening to him - but constant questions about maybe moving to wide receiver, one question about racial slurs (Lamar said he didn't know anything about that)...til eventually it turned to football.

    I'm really rooting for this kid.

    I like the kid but he is definitely a project. If the Browns had an established QB, I wouldn't be bothered at all to have him sit behind the starter and learn. Kid is super athletic and has the arm for it. Just a matter of developing better mechanics to improve accuracy.

  • i base my QB decision purely on looks, and Mayfield is the most handsome of the bunch.  Second would be Jackson, and Darnold and Rosen....yuck

    seriously though, go with Mayfield.  He has the skillset and the attitude to drag the Browns to victory.  Let him sit behind Kizer for a year though.  Use AJ McCarron only in emergencies, Kizer has nowhere to go but up and I think he surprises a lot of people this season.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Lamar Jackson - had a tough time, you'd never know it by listening to him - but constant questions about maybe moving to wide receiver, one question about racial slurs (Lamar said he didn't know anything about that)...til eventually it turned to football.

    I'm really rooting for this kid.

    I like the kid but he is definitely a project. If the Browns had an established QB, I wouldn't be bothered at all to have him sit behind the starter and learn. Kid is super athletic and has the arm for it. Just a matter of developing better mechanics to improve accuracy.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    I like the kid but he is definitely a project. If the Browns had an established QB, I wouldn't be bothered at all to have him sit behind the starter and learn. Kid is super athletic and has the arm for it. Just a matter of developing better mechanics to improve accuracy.

    Absolutely, he needs a few years, but I'm rooting for him. His interview sounded like Mary Kay Cabbage was on a roll...

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Lamar Jackson - had a tough time, you'd never know it by listening to him - but constant questions about maybe moving to wide receiver, one question about racial slurs (Lamar said he didn't know anything about that)...til eventually it turned to football.

    I'm really rooting for this kid.

    I like the kid but he is definitely a project. If the Browns had an established QB, I wouldn't be bothered at all to have him sit behind the starter and learn. Kid is super athletic and has the arm for it. Just a matter of developing better mechanics to improve accuracy.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    I like the kid but he is definitely a project. If the Browns had an established QB, I wouldn't be bothered at all to have him sit behind the starter and learn. Kid is super athletic and has the arm for it. Just a matter of developing better mechanics to improve accuracy.

    He would have Kizer as a mentor.

    😎

    WSS

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    I like the kid but he is definitely a project. If the Browns had an established QB, I wouldn't be bothered at all to have him sit behind the starter and learn. Kid is super athletic and has the arm for it. Just a matter of developing better mechanics to improve accuracy.

    He would have Kizer as a mentor.

    😎

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    He would have Kizer as a mentor.

    😎

    WSS

    Kizer, the best surfer in Nebraska.

  • @westside-steve said:

    He would have Kizer as a mentor.

    😎

    WSS

    Kizer, the best surfer in Nebraska.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    Kizer, the best surfer in Nebraska.

    Toledo....he is from Toledo...and yes, I think they actually DO have surf in  Toledo...and in Cleveland, despite what the song says.

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    Kizer, the best surfer in Nebraska.

    Toledo....he is from Toledo...and yes, I think they actually DO have surf in  Toledo...and in Cleveland, despite what the song says.

    @the-gipper said:

    Toledo....he is from Toledo...and yes, I think they actually DO have surf in  Toledo...and in Cleveland, despite what the song says.

    Was a reference to the old saying. Kizer is the best QB on the roster currently.