Skip to content

Draft Day Scenario

The Browns Board
11 6 434
  • Sorry if this has been brought up elsewhere, but..

    Something a few people mentioned on ESPN yesterday that I hadn't really thought about:

    We obviously have way too many picks to use this year. We are now in the trade UP phase of the rebuild where we need to trade picks to secure less quantity, but better quality assets. We've been rumored to have proposed a trade for Robert Quinn, many expect us to consider offering a pick for Jarvis Landry, etc. We cannot bring 12 rookies into camp and expect them all to secure a roster spot.

    Having said that, there is (obviously) a massive divide in what our draft philosophy should be. Some want Barkley at #1 with the risk of not having our top QB available at #4. Others want our top QB at #1 given that Barkley probably will not drop to #4. 

    Why not use a few of those extra picks and move up to #2 to secure your 2 favorite players? Trade the Giants #4, #64 and later pick for #2 and get Saquon and the QB of your choice. I admit I think the Giants will demand more in that trade, but I don't know that the Broncos or Jets can offer THAT much more for the Giants to consider dropping those 1 or 2 extra spots. If our FO is in the quandary of Saquon is our #1, but we HAVE to take QB (public pressure), this seems to be the most logical solution.

    Thoughts?

  • You are right....it has been brought up elsewhere.

    But, I suppose it is a plausible scenario....if the powers that be really are that hot on Barkley and a QB.

    Though...I expect to see more trading lower in the draft.   Maybe a move back into round 1  after we choose picks at 1 and 4. 

  • I'm all for trading up and going for quality over quantity, been banging that drum on here for a bit. This team doesn't need a boatload of MORE young players. 

    Not a fan of using either #1 or #4 pick (or #2 as you suggested after trading up) on a RB though, for reasons I've made before. 

  • I'm all for trading up and going for quality over quantity, been banging that drum on here for a bit. This team doesn't need a boatload of MORE young players. 

    Not a fan of using either #1 or #4 pick (or #2 as you suggested after trading up) on a RB though, for reasons I've made before. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm all for trading up and going for quality over quantity, been banging that drum on here for a bit. This team doesn't need a boatload of MORE young players. 

    Not a fan of using either #1 or #4 pick (or #2 as you suggested after trading up) on a RB though, for reasons I've made before. 

    You get half credit! The first part- Brilliant. The second part- Brain-Fart...

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I'm all for trading up and going for quality over quantity, been banging that drum on here for a bit. This team doesn't need a boatload of MORE young players. 

    Not a fan of using either #1 or #4 pick (or #2 as you suggested after trading up) on a RB though, for reasons I've made before. 

    You get half credit! The first part- Brilliant. The second part- Brain-Fart...

    @poeticg said:

    You get half credit! The first part- Brilliant. The second part- Brain-Fart...

    You think Kevin Hogan is a future franchise QB. 

  • @poeticg said:

    You get half credit! The first part- Brilliant. The second part- Brain-Fart...

    You think Kevin Hogan is a future franchise QB. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    You think Kevin Hogan is a future franchise QB. 

    So what? Nobody knows what he can be. He's a mystery. Njoku called him the silent assassin. 🥷

  • @poeticg said:

    You get half credit! The first part- Brilliant. The second part- Brain-Fart...

    You think Kevin Hogan is a future franchise QB. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    You think Kevin Hogan is a future franchise QB. 

    IMO. You can win enough games to make the playoffs next year if we:

    A- Draft Barkley and Minkah #1 and #4. 

    B- Get Joe Thomas back 100% healthy.

    C- 100% onboard Josh Gordon with no setbacks. 

    D- With Kevin Hogan as the Starting QB from Day 1. Preferably from training camp onwards. 

    Follow my plan and the Browns could win 10+ games next year. 

    *In order to stay on topic I'd say do it. Trade up that is. There is no reason NOT TO. 

    The Browns are loaded with young and cheap talent. There is no reason to bring in a ton more young players that need time to develop. 

    Barkley is an exception to young talent. He's an instant impact, NFL ready from day one starter and difference maker. 

  • And just like that, another promising thread goes up in flames. 

    dumpsterfire_1.jpg

  • 10153776_1500x1182.jpg

  • @dutch-oven said:

    You think Kevin Hogan is a future franchise QB. 

    IMO. You can win enough games to make the playoffs next year if we:

    A- Draft Barkley and Minkah #1 and #4. 

    B- Get Joe Thomas back 100% healthy.

    C- 100% onboard Josh Gordon with no setbacks. 

    D- With Kevin Hogan as the Starting QB from Day 1. Preferably from training camp onwards. 

    Follow my plan and the Browns could win 10+ games next year. 

    *In order to stay on topic I'd say do it. Trade up that is. There is no reason NOT TO. 

    The Browns are loaded with young and cheap talent. There is no reason to bring in a ton more young players that need time to develop. 

    Barkley is an exception to young talent. He's an instant impact, NFL ready from day one starter and difference maker. 

    @poeticg said:

    IMO. You can win enough games to make the playoffs next year if we:

    A- Draft Barkley and Minkah #1 and #4. 

    B- Get Joe Thomas back 100% healthy.

    C- 100% onboard Josh Gordon with no setbacks. 

    D- With Kevin Hogan as the Starting QB from Day 1. Preferably from training camp onwards. 

    Follow my plan and the Browns could win 10+ games next year. 

    *In order to stay on topic I'd say do it. Trade up that is. There is no reason NOT TO. 

    The Browns are loaded with young and cheap talent. There is no reason to bring in a ton more young players that need time to develop. 

    Barkley is an exception to young talent. He's an instant impact, NFL ready from day one starter and difference maker. 

  • I can see this nightmare scenario playing out for the hapless Browns draft gurus. Somehow we end up with Barkley and Allen, the two most likely to bust in their respective positions.😵

    No Darnold, Rosen, Mayfiied, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Penny, Guice or Michel. Somehow this just seems like Draft Day from 1999 to the present...............all part of the same never ending Browns fiasco gift that just keeps on giving year after year after year.🥷