Skip to content

Baker Mayfield

The Browns Board
84 31 2.8k 1
  • Tyrod size isn't an issue, he is a proven commodity, thats what they traded for, not for how hard he can through the tall or how tall he is. And his lack of turnover is an important factor. It maybe that he doesn't drive the ball down field a bunch or whatever, but Tyrod is here to keep the seat warm, not start for the next decade. He is here most likely for one year and then gone. His job will be to keep the team in the game and not kill them with turnovers.

    @runyon27 said:

    Tyrod size isn't an issue, he is a proven commodity, thats what they traded for, not for how hard he can through the tall or how tall he is. And his lack of turnover is an important factor. It maybe that he doesn't drive the ball down field a bunch or whatever, but Tyrod is here to keep the seat warm, not start for the next decade. He is here most likely for one year and then gone. His job will be to keep the team in the game and not kill them with turnovers.

    And I for one think he has an even chance to actually be the franchise QB the Browns have been searching for if we just keep building that defense up to the level of the Seattle and Denver SB winners. Many a game is determined not on sacks, but turnover differences.

  • @orion said:

    IMO, Mayfield poses JUST THE SLIGHTEST risk of the Manziel type.....and I just don't think the organization (Jimmuh & Dee included) wants anything to do with ANY risk of that at all.

    I think Mayfield is a bit of an immature frat bro. 

    But I don't think his personality/character will torpedo his future like Mayfield. (I do, though, think opposing defenses are going to go out of their way to go after Mayfield to put him in his place, like Manziel was treated by opposing defensive players) That's the difference between the two, IMO. Mayfield's personality doesn't seem self-destructive, just immature that could cause the team he plays for PR headaches.

    My issue with Mayfield is his height and what conference he played in. A 6' tall QB from the pinball stats conference is a HUGE risk at #1 or #4 overall. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    (I do, though, think opposing defenses are going to go out of their way to go after Mayfield to put him in his place, like Manziel was treated by opposing defensive players)

    Hell...Bitonio let his man walk right on in to Manziel once.  Everybody except Josh Gordon hated him.

    I don't think Mayfield will be anything like THAT...but they have the first pick in the draft and don't have to take any chances.  -- He's an accurate thrower though.  That makes up for a lot of sins.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    (I do, though, think opposing defenses are going to go out of their way to go after Mayfield to put him in his place, like Manziel was treated by opposing defensive players)

    Hell...Bitonio let his man walk right on in to Manziel once.  Everybody except Josh Gordon hated him.

    I don't think Mayfield will be anything like THAT...but they have the first pick in the draft and don't have to take any chances.  -- He's an accurate thrower though.  That makes up for a lot of sins.

    @orion said:

    Hell...Bitonio let his man walk right on in to Manziel once.  Everybody except Josh Gordon hated him.

    I don't think Mayfield will be anything like THAT...but they have the first pick in the draft and don't have to take any chances.  -- He's an accurate thrower though.  That makes up for a lot of sins.

    All I ever was told was how Manziel's teammates loved him at Texas A&M too... 😆

    I'm actually very interested in seeing Mayfield in the NFL, but I'll be honest, there's no way I would have the stones to draft him in the top 4 overall picks. 

  • @orion said:

    Hell...Bitonio let his man walk right on in to Manziel once.  Everybody except Josh Gordon hated him.

    I don't think Mayfield will be anything like THAT...but they have the first pick in the draft and don't have to take any chances.  -- He's an accurate thrower though.  That makes up for a lot of sins.

    All I ever was told was how Manziel's teammates loved him at Texas A&M too... 😆

    I'm actually very interested in seeing Mayfield in the NFL, but I'll be honest, there's no way I would have the stones to draft him in the top 4 overall picks. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    All I ever was told was how Manziel's teammates loved him at Texas A&M too... 😆

    I'm actually very interested in seeing Mayfield in the NFL, but I'll be honest, there's no way I would have the stones to draft him in the top 4 overall picks. 

     Because when Johnny went to party with the A&M team- all the drinks were on him....  🙂

    I really don't have any problem with Mayfield at #1 or #4.  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    All I ever was told was how Manziel's teammates loved him at Texas A&M too... 😆

    I'm actually very interested in seeing Mayfield in the NFL, but I'll be honest, there's no way I would have the stones to draft him in the top 4 overall picks. 

     Because when Johnny went to party with the A&M team- all the drinks were on him....  🙂

    I really don't have any problem with Mayfield at #1 or #4.  

    @hoorta said:

     Because when Johnny went to party with the A&M team- all the drinks were on him....  🙂

    I really don't have any problem with Mayfield at #1 or #4.  

    A 6'0 tall QB from the Big 12... no problems at all?

  • @hoorta said:

     Because when Johnny went to party with the A&M team- all the drinks were on him....  🙂

    I really don't have any problem with Mayfield at #1 or #4.  

    A 6'0 tall QB from the Big 12... no problems at all?

    @dutch-oven said:

    A 6'0 tall QB from the Big 12... no problems at all?

    We've already hashed this to death- you have to look at the player, not the conference. If Dorsey is OK with 6'0" Tyrod Taylor- think 6'0" height is an issue with Dorsey? 

  • I keep saying to people that Baker Mayfields demeanor is much more serious than Johnny's... He just seems to really care about his craft.. so hes a little kocky.. you expect that from a youngster... Baker despite some of the little bit of negative press received, really doesnt concern me ... I think hes just a different mindset from JFF all together...

  • @dutch-oven said:

    A 6'0 tall QB from the Big 12... no problems at all?

    We've already hashed this to death- you have to look at the player, not the conference. If Dorsey is OK with 6'0" Tyrod Taylor- think 6'0" height is an issue with Dorsey? 

    @hoorta said:

    We've already hashed this to death- you have to look at the player, not the conference. If Dorsey is OK with 6'0" Tyrod Taylor- think 6'0" height is an issue with Dorsey? 

    Mayfield would be the first QB from his conference to amount to anything at the NFL level coupled with height issues. Big 12 QBs put up video game numbers and it ends there for them.

    I don’t want the Browns to be the team crossing their fingers that Mayfield becomes the one outlier.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    A 6'0 tall QB from the Big 12... no problems at all?

    We've already hashed this to death- you have to look at the player, not the conference. If Dorsey is OK with 6'0" Tyrod Taylor- think 6'0" height is an issue with Dorsey? 

    @hoorta said:

    We've already hashed this to death- you have to look at the player, not the conference. If Dorsey is OK with 6'0" Tyrod Taylor- think 6'0" height is an issue with Dorsey? 

    There is a world of difference between a one-year bridge QB - and what you'll use to fill that spot - and using the #1 or #4 overall pick on a guy you would think of as a franchise QB for the next decade. 

  • I keep saying to people that Baker Mayfields demeanor is much more serious than Johnny's... He just seems to really care about his craft.. so hes a little kocky.. you expect that from a youngster... Baker despite some of the little bit of negative press received, really doesnt concern me ... I think hes just a different mindset from JFF all together...

    @nickers said:

    I keep saying to people that Baker Mayfields demeanor is much more serious than Johnny's... He just seems to really care about his craft.. so hes a little kocky.. you expect that from a youngster... Baker despite some of the little bit of negative press received, really doesnt concern me ... I think hes just a different mindset from JFF all together...

    The difference is Baker Mayfield has a work ethic and cares about being a great QB, while Manziel had no work ethic and loved the limelight that came from being a big-shot QB, but didn't want to do the work to become a top QB in the NFL.

  • @hoorta said:

    We've already hashed this to death- you have to look at the player, not the conference. If Dorsey is OK with 6'0" Tyrod Taylor- think 6'0" height is an issue with Dorsey? 

    Mayfield would be the first QB from his conference to amount to anything at the NFL level coupled with height issues. Big 12 QBs put up video game numbers and it ends there for them.

    I don’t want the Browns to be the team crossing their fingers that Mayfield becomes the one outlier.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    Mayfield would be the first QB from his conference to amount to anything at the NFL level coupled with height issues. Big 12 QBs put up video game numbers and it ends there for them.

    I don’t want the Browns to be the team crossing their fingers that Mayfield becomes the one outlier.

    This is essentially true.  We have researched this before.  The Big 12 was formed in 1994.  NO QB from the Big 12 since that time has ever won a playoff game.  A few have started....the best of the bunch has been Andy Dalton....who has lost 4 playoff games without winning one. 

    But, sure, someday, some QB from the Big 12 is going to break that pattern.  It could be Mahomes, or Mayfield, or Rudolph....or who knows.

  • @hoorta said:

    We've already hashed this to death- you have to look at the player, not the conference. If Dorsey is OK with 6'0" Tyrod Taylor- think 6'0" height is an issue with Dorsey? 

    Mayfield would be the first QB from his conference to amount to anything at the NFL level coupled with height issues. Big 12 QBs put up video game numbers and it ends there for them.

    I don’t want the Browns to be the team crossing their fingers that Mayfield becomes the one outlier.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    Mayfield would be the first QB from his conference to amount to anything at the NFL level coupled with height issues. Big 12 QBs put up video game numbers and it ends there for them.

    I don’t want the Browns to be the team crossing their fingers that Mayfield becomes the one outlier.

    John Dorsey took that gamble last year with Mahomes.  I’m not a huge Mayfield fan, but if the FO thinks he’s the best QB available, they have to take him at 1

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    Mayfield would be the first QB from his conference to amount to anything at the NFL level coupled with height issues. Big 12 QBs put up video game numbers and it ends there for them.

    I don’t want the Browns to be the team crossing their fingers that Mayfield becomes the one outlier.

    John Dorsey took that gamble last year with Mahomes.  I’m not a huge Mayfield fan, but if the FO thinks he’s the best QB available, they have to take him at 1

    @roycerolls said:

    John Dorsey took that gamble last year with Mahomes.  I’m not a huge Mayfield fan, but if the FO thinks he’s the best QB available, they have to take him at 1

    No doubt. You don’t hope he is there at 4. I just hope they don’t take him at all.

  • @roycerolls said:

    John Dorsey took that gamble last year with Mahomes.  I’m not a huge Mayfield fan, but if the FO thinks he’s the best QB available, they have to take him at 1

    No doubt. You don’t hope he is there at 4. I just hope they don’t take him at all.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    No doubt. You don’t hope he is there at 4. I just hope they don’t take him at all.

    If he turns out to be the guy he's worth the number one and then some. If he's not he's not worth a 5th round pick.

    WSS

  • Watching Baker Mayfield pro day ????????. Looks like he’s auditioning for the new Karate Kid.   Gimmick just like Johnny Shmuckstain wearing a helmet at his pro day  LOL. ???????????????????

  • Watching Baker Mayfield pro day ????????. Looks like he’s auditioning for the new Karate Kid.   Gimmick just like Johnny Shmuckstain wearing a helmet at his pro day  LOL. ???????????????????

    @7moses7 said:

    Watching Baker Mayfield pro day ????????. Looks like he’s auditioning for the new Karate Kid.   Gimmick just like Johnny Shmuckstain wearing a helmet at his pro day  LOL. ???????????????????

    is anyone there from the Browns ?

  • Clearly our FO don’t care about his height after the Taylor trade. 

    Taylor will be the starter but one thing we know is that he gets hurt so the rookie we do draft is going to play at some point.

    Could it be Baker? 

    @londonbrown said:

    Clearly our FO don’t care about his height after the Taylor trade. 

    Taylor will be the starter but one thing we know is that he gets hurt so the rookie we do draft is going to play at some point.

    Could it be Baker? 

    I think it very well could be... and I think he will be there at #4.

    That said, if Dorsey & Co are sold on Baker, they need to take him at #1. You don't eff around when it comes to landing your next QB.

    @mjp28 said:

    A few thoughts:

    1. Who are the 2019 quarterback prospects, too early to guess on that?

    2. A fair chance that the BROWNS will not be picking #1 maybe even 2, 3 who knows top 5 in 2019?

    3. The loss of Kizer, even though some despised his play, did change the BROWNS quarterback succession plan. Maybe #4? R2? Build up maybe three candidates going forward.

    Enquiring minds want to know!

    The 2019 QB Class is not very sexy. I do really like one of its members tho... MSU's Nick Fitzgerald.

    There are a couple decent prospects in the 2020 class that might well exit in 2019 including Oregon's Justin Herbert.

  • Why would you draft a QB that has the exact same skill set (and lack of) that you just traded for?

    @tiamat63 said:

    Why would you draft a QB that has the exact same skill set (and lack of) that you just traded for?

    For the sake of continuity. So that you can keep the playbook the same with expectations that the next guy will execute the plays with a similar degree of acumen as his predecessor. 

    It just occurred to me to ask what top tier QB in this draft has a similar playing style to Taylor, who seems to have a sort of hustle and flow about his playing style from the clips l’ve seen.

  • sydS syd

    @7moses7 said:

    Watching Baker Mayfield pro day ????????. Looks like he’s auditioning for the new Karate Kid.   Gimmick just like Johnny Shmuckstain wearing a helmet at his pro day  LOL. ???????????????????

    is anyone there from the Browns ?

    @syd said:

    is anyone there from the Browns ?

    Yes Johnny Manziel's counselor 

  • sydS syd

    @7moses7 said:

    Watching Baker Mayfield pro day ????????. Looks like he’s auditioning for the new Karate Kid.   Gimmick just like Johnny Shmuckstain wearing a helmet at his pro day  LOL. ???????????????????

    is anyone there from the Browns ?

    @syd said:

    is anyone there from the Browns ?

    Nope, but they were the only ones to go to Carson Wentz’ pro day.

    I vaguely remember something being said about not a top 20 QB.