Skip to content

Joe Thomas has retired

The Browns Board
103 46 4.6k 1
  • got the 88 year old dad call today..We spoke of Joe & we spoke of dad's days when the GOAT Jim Brown walked away from the game. I was 1 year old. gumby was my nickname since junior high. 73 was my favorite player in any sport.Started when JT was at Wisconsin. Today has been a total rollercoaster ride started by checking this Board with Carlos Hyde coming home. When the news broke and Joe spoke that the piling injuries took the game away from him. What more can you ask your hero to do? While at this years draft, I shook the hand of Phil Savage now working for Sirius XM radio. I told him "it's a honor to shake the hand of the man that brought JT to my favorite team in Cleveland". now just a odd moment from JT's start in C-town to now at the finish line. Congrats Joe Thomas,it's been a hell of a ride.The list of QB's protected is not impressive.It's the list of DE's & others that this guy shutdown in 11 straight years.See you in Canton..damn straight I'll be there.. 

  • My son just turned 23 and the 2 Brown's players he remembers most are Thomas and Dawson...  Pretty F'n sad when you think about it. ( When I was young, a long F'n time ago) I wanted to be Jimmy Brown, Leroy Kelly or Gary Collins.

    When he was around 10 or so he asked me; "Dad why do I have to be a Brown's fan?" I told him you don't have to, but I will move your bed to the shed with that huge possum!   

    Love Joe, very sad to see him go...

  • My son just turned 23 and the 2 Brown's players he remembers most are Thomas and Dawson...  Pretty F'n sad when you think about it. ( When I was young, a long F'n time ago) I wanted to be Jimmy Brown, Leroy Kelly or Gary Collins.

    When he was around 10 or so he asked me; "Dad why do I have to be a Brown's fan?" I told him you don't have to, but I will move your bed to the shed with that huge possum!   

    Love Joe, very sad to see him go...

    @falcon7 said:

    My son just turned 23 and the 2 Brown's players he remembers most are Thomas and Dawson...  Pretty F'n sad when you think about it. ( When I was young, a long F'n time ago) I wanted to be Jimmy Brown, Leroy Kelly or Gary Collins.

    When he was around 10 or so he asked me; "Dad why do I have to be a Brown's fan?" I told him you don't have to, but I will move your bed to the shed with that huge possum!   

    Love Joe, very sad to see him go...

    Sad but true since the late 1990s I've seen more and more steelrz flags, jackets, (fair weather) fans in the tiny sliver of NE OH-IO I live in go that way.

    Even BROWNS games blacked out for pizzburg games anytime both play at 1 pm. Maybe current events might help correct that.

    GO BROWNS! 

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Just think of the massive effect this will have on our record......

    I was just sitting here wondering as i started reading the thread whether your or Ghoolie would post the silly post about the lack of importance Oline has. This is a HUGE loss. 

    @jcam222 said:

    I was just sitting here wondering as i started reading the thread whether your or Ghoolie would post the silly post about the lack of importance Oline has. This is a HUGE loss. 

    Hey Jackoff, I never said the O Line was not important. What I said was, Offensive Linemen are a dime a dozen. They are the least talented players in Pro Sports. Joe Thomas will not be missed. He didn't add one fukcing ting to the Browns offense. Fukc Joe Thomas.

  • Thank Christ.

  • @jcam222 said:

    I was just sitting here wondering as i started reading the thread whether your or Ghoolie would post the silly post about the lack of importance Oline has. This is a HUGE loss. 

    Hey Jackoff, I never said the O Line was not important. What I said was, Offensive Linemen are a dime a dozen. They are the least talented players in Pro Sports. Joe Thomas will not be missed. He didn't add one fukcing ting to the Browns offense. Fukc Joe Thomas.

    @ghoolie said:

    Hey Jackoff, I never said the O Line was not important. What I said was, Offensive Linemen are a dime a dozen. They are the least talented players in Pro Sports. Joe Thomas will not be missed. He didn't add one fukcing ting to the Browns offense. Fukc Joe Thomas.

    I imagine Ghoolie Is the human version of someone who has herpes getting another outbreak.

    You know you have it, but just pray it stays away, but when it comes back you remember how awful it is. 

  • @ghoolie said:

    Hey Jackoff, I never said the O Line was not important. What I said was, Offensive Linemen are a dime a dozen. They are the least talented players in Pro Sports. Joe Thomas will not be missed. He didn't add one fukcing ting to the Browns offense. Fukc Joe Thomas.

    I imagine Ghoolie Is the human version of someone who has herpes getting another outbreak.

    You know you have it, but just pray it stays away, but when it comes back you remember how awful it is. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I imagine Ghoolie Is the human version of someone who has herpes getting another outbreak. 

    it's St.Patrick Day weekend. that chit will be as green as his teeth singing to some Irish accordian music post shortly. F Joe Thomas? no F' yourself ya homo..

  • I can see it now...4 games left to go in the season, the Browns starting LT goes down..is it a bird? Is it a plane? Nope.. it's joe thomas soaring in with his superman costume and taking his place leading the browns to a super bowl victory...it would be glorious.

    @bigalow80 said:

    I can see it now...4 games left to go in the season, the Browns starting LT goes down..is it a bird? Is it a plane? Nope.. it's joe thomas soaring in with his superman costume and taking his place leading the browns to a super bowl victory...it would be glorious.

    Only if he is sitting on his tukas....which I don't think he will be.    He will likely be broadcasting games somewhere.

  • Has there been a better NFL player who played for a worse team than Thomas?

    @dutch-oven said:

    Has there been a better NFL player who played for a worse team than Thomas?

    Some say Archie Manning....but Manning was never HOF.

    Though....some also say that if Manning had been drafted by the Steelers, and Bradshaw by the Saints....their roles would be reversed.  Manning would have 4 Super Bowl rings (or more)...and TB none.

  • Joe was in the building today working with Shon Coleman ........ retired but still lending a hand 🙂

  • Sweet... should sign him as a OL Asst. Coach...

    ... even tho it'd destroy my growing "Hue's staying made Joe go" feeling.

  • Joe is going to have so many roles with this browns organization it is not going to be funny. Seriously, people will probably see him more now than ever before. Mark my words in 30 years, people will recognize Joe for his media work first before they realize how amazing of a player he was. 

  • City of Cleveland@CityofCleveland
    Dear @Browns fans: At your request, 7/3/18 is officially going to be Joe Thomas Day in the City of #CLE in honor of #Browns great, #73 @joethomas73.

    We wish you well on your retirement, sir!

    Thanks for representing #CLE well.

    He deserves it 7\3\2018  🙂  don't think #73 is retired yet- probably will be....   

  • City of Cleveland@CityofCleveland
    Dear @Browns fans: At your request, 7/3/18 is officially going to be Joe Thomas Day in the City of #CLE in honor of #Browns great, #73 @joethomas73.

    We wish you well on your retirement, sir!

    Thanks for representing #CLE well.

    He deserves it 7\3\2018  🙂  don't think #73 is retired yet- probably will be....   

    @hoorta said:

    https://twitter.com/cityofcleveland/status/974381760783011840?s=21

    He deserves it 7\3\2018  🙂  don't think #73 is retired yet- probably will be....   

    Well....they have not retired other HOFers....so I don't think they will retire Joe's ..   Of guys that didn't die....causing their number to be retired....only 32 for JB, 76 for Groza, and 14 for Otto are retired.     82 for Ozzie not.  44 for  Kelly not.   42 for Warfield not.  Or anyone else.

  • @hoorta said:

    https://twitter.com/cityofcleveland/status/974381760783011840?s=21

    He deserves it 7\3\2018  🙂  don't think #73 is retired yet- probably will be....   

    Well....they have not retired other HOFers....so I don't think they will retire Joe's ..   Of guys that didn't die....causing their number to be retired....only 32 for JB, 76 for Groza, and 14 for Otto are retired.     82 for Ozzie not.  44 for  Kelly not.   42 for Warfield not.  Or anyone else.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well....they have not retired other HOFers....so I don't think they will retire Joe's ..   Of guys that didn't die....causing their number to be retired....only 32 for JB, 76 for Groza, and 14 for Otto are retired.     82 for Ozzie not.  44 for  Kelly not.   42 for Warfield not.  Or anyone else.

    Except maybe since the BROWNS are coming out of the worst black hole in team history, maybe NFL history.  PR move?

  • @hoorta said:

    https://twitter.com/cityofcleveland/status/974381760783011840?s=21

    He deserves it 7\3\2018  🙂  don't think #73 is retired yet- probably will be....   

    Well....they have not retired other HOFers....so I don't think they will retire Joe's ..   Of guys that didn't die....causing their number to be retired....only 32 for JB, 76 for Groza, and 14 for Otto are retired.     82 for Ozzie not.  44 for  Kelly not.   42 for Warfield not.  Or anyone else.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well....they have not retired other HOFers....so I don't think they will retire Joe's ..   Of guys that didn't die....causing their number to be retired....only 32 for JB, 76 for Groza, and 14 for Otto are retired.     82 for Ozzie not.  44 for  Kelly not.   42 for Warfield not.  Or anyone else.

    Well, the dictum from the league was to go easy on retiring numbers.  We'd have a long way to go to catch the Bears with their 14 retired numbers. I think they wanted to retire Ozzie's number, but he declined. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well....they have not retired other HOFers....so I don't think they will retire Joe's ..   Of guys that didn't die....causing their number to be retired....only 32 for JB, 76 for Groza, and 14 for Otto are retired.     82 for Ozzie not.  44 for  Kelly not.   42 for Warfield not.  Or anyone else.

    Well, the dictum from the league was to go easy on retiring numbers.  We'd have a long way to go to catch the Bears with their 14 retired numbers. I think they wanted to retire Ozzie's number, but he declined. 

    @hoorta said:

    Well, the dictum from the league was to go easy on retiring numbers.  We'd have a long way to go to catch the Bears with their 14 retired numbers. I think they wanted to retire Ozzie's number, but he declined. 

    I think they should retire Ozzies # after he passes away.. I think it would be a class move...

  • @hoorta said:

    Well, the dictum from the league was to go easy on retiring numbers.  We'd have a long way to go to catch the Bears with their 14 retired numbers. I think they wanted to retire Ozzie's number, but he declined. 

    I think they should retire Ozzies # after he passes away.. I think it would be a class move...

    @nickers said:

    I think they should retire Ozzies # after he passes away.. I think it would be a class move...

    Class, yes.  But what good would that do Ozzie.  No....if that happens...do it while he is alive.

    Its kind of like this:

    The "banned" Shoeless Joe Jackson from the HOF  "for life".    But the SOB has been dead since the 50s.    His "life" is over.   So...why should the ban continue?   They still seem to want to punish him 65 years after he has been dead?   Who is being punished?  Other than MLB punishing themselves over it....by denying a great player his rightful place.   (particularly since his role in "the scandal" was questionable in the first place)

  • @nickers said:

    I think they should retire Ozzies # after he passes away.. I think it would be a class move...

    Class, yes.  But what good would that do Ozzie.  No....if that happens...do it while he is alive.

    Its kind of like this:

    The "banned" Shoeless Joe Jackson from the HOF  "for life".    But the SOB has been dead since the 50s.    His "life" is over.   So...why should the ban continue?   They still seem to want to punish him 65 years after he has been dead?   Who is being punished?  Other than MLB punishing themselves over it....by denying a great player his rightful place.   (particularly since his role in "the scandal" was questionable in the first place)

    @the-gipper said:

    Class, yes.  But what good would that do Ozzie.  No....if that happens...do it while he is alive.

    Its kind of like this:

    The "banned" Shoeless Joe Jackson from the HOF  "for life".    But the SOB has been dead since the 50s.    His "life" is over.   So...why should the ban continue?   They still seem to want to punish him 65 years after he has been dead?   Who is being punished?  Other than MLB punishing themselves over it....by denying a great player his rightful place.   (particularly since his role in "the scandal" was questionable in the first place)

    All the same.. I still think they can find a unique way to honor his life... And his career...

  • Joe Thomas takes out a full page ad in today’s edition of the Plain Dealer.

    Nothing but class. . .

    016BB1D9-E0C7-4007-B762-4DFB9BFD948D.jpeg