Skip to content

The FA money and cap space

The Browns Board
17 9 496
  • Can you post what cap space we have too

  • 47337772-B3BD-44E6-A075-527B1BC33866.png

  • 9F90A879-3BDB-48A2-9C98-4BEB24278423.jpeg

    17EDE89E-33D6-434E-8F6B-FC82F722D567.jpeg

    3F2851F4-4242-41D5-955B-99A6A4BECCB0.jpeg

  • Oh lord, you follow Pete Smith on Twitter?

    That hack probably sobbed uncontrollably for weeks after Sashi got fired. 

  • I was asked to put up the cap space that’s all I could find 

  • I dont understand how a guy on cotract for one year for 16 million cost 32 million against the cap. I dont think thats right. This site says the Browns have 81 million still. It looks up to date even have Joe Thomas off the roster. Browns get Joe's money back so it increases the cap.

    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

  • Why would Tyrod and Landry get cut? 

  • The money is there to be spent.  It's been collecting dust for years.  Now that the Browns are actually spending it some folks are wigging out because, well, we won't have the most cap space anymore.  As if that was something to be proud of.

    I want to see the Browns go from 0-16 to the playoffs in a one-season turn around.  That costs money.  Others choose to put a team on the field made up of 5th round picks because they're cap-friendly.  That doesn't cost money, but it eats away at your soul.

    GO BROWNS!!! 

  • The money is there to be spent.  It's been collecting dust for years.  Now that the Browns are actually spending it some folks are wigging out because, well, we won't have the most cap space anymore.  As if that was something to be proud of.

    I want to see the Browns go from 0-16 to the playoffs in a one-season turn around.  That costs money.  Others choose to put a team on the field made up of 5th round picks because they're cap-friendly.  That doesn't cost money, but it eats away at your soul.

    GO BROWNS!!! 

    @suomi said:

    The money is there to be spent.  It's been collecting dust for years.  Now that the Browns are actually spending it some folks are wigging out because, well, we won't have the most cap space anymore.  As if that was something to be proud of.

    I want to see the Browns go from 0-16 to the playoffs in a one-season turn around.  That costs money.  Others choose to put a team on the field made up of 5th round picks because they're cap-friendly.  That doesn't cost money, but it eats away at your soul.

    GO BROWNS!!! 

    We had the most expensive defense in the league in 2015. That was awesome. 

  • I dont understand how a guy on cotract for one year for 16 million cost 32 million against the cap. I dont think thats right. This site says the Browns have 81 million still. It looks up to date even have Joe Thomas off the roster. Browns get Joe's money back so it increases the cap.

    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

    @runyon27 said:

    I dont understand how a guy on cotract for one year for 16 million cost 32 million against the cap. I dont think thats right. This site says the Browns have 81 million still. It looks up to date even have Joe Thomas off the roster. Browns get Joe's money back so it increases the cap.

    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

    I don't get it either, but he's right- sort of, and being very disingenuous about it. (at least about not being able to roll over the 2018 $32 million we're paying Taylor and Landry- aw gee, book keeping) That is not $64 million. What it means is we just used some of our available 2019 cap room in 2018- DUH!!!! OK, if you want it explained- we rolled over $59 million from 2017 and spent say $40 million of it on new salaries. The booger even counted in $17 million we're going to spend regardless on 2018 rookie salaries!!!!  Here's 2019 from over the cap, as it stands, click on the year at the top:  https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

    Still show us with about $71 million,  ($110+ - $32) gives you around $70 million. That puts us in the middle of the pack. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch over yet.  FWIW, if you look closely- it also shows the 2018 Browns with 85 players currently under contract, by far the most in the NFL. There is no way a bunch of those guys will make the final roster, and even fewer will be around when the cap figures come out next spring....   

    PS, and I don't know if those numbers reflect Joe Thomas' $13 million coming off the books yet either..  🙂  

  • @suomi said:

    The money is there to be spent.  It's been collecting dust for years.  Now that the Browns are actually spending it some folks are wigging out because, well, we won't have the most cap space anymore.  As if that was something to be proud of.

    I want to see the Browns go from 0-16 to the playoffs in a one-season turn around.  That costs money.  Others choose to put a team on the field made up of 5th round picks because they're cap-friendly.  That doesn't cost money, but it eats away at your soul.

    GO BROWNS!!! 

    We had the most expensive defense in the league in 2015. That was awesome. 

    @wargograw said:

    We had the most expensive defense in the league in 2015. That was awesome. 

    But look who was in charge (Farmer, an idiot)

    That argument is weak because the majority of the time, the teams that are willing to spend more money on talented players are more successful then the teams who penny pinch and spend close to the least in the league.

  • Yeah that whole rollover thing lends itself to fuzzy math. Doubling up the spend, while technically correct, ignores the fact that the money is there to be spent at some point.

    That said the players who came via trade with one-year deals have a lot of leverage... especially Landry. I would not be surprised to see him play out the tag.

    What I have not read this year is where we stand vs. the minimum cap spend.