Skip to content

Darnold at #1?

Locked The Browns Board
318 55 10.2k 1
  • @tour2ma said:

    In a scripted Pro Day with familiar receivers there should be few misses... and I'm not talking about the ball hitting the ground. Even before the rain I often saw WRs having to adjust their speed or angle... that's a "miss". I might be being overly critical here tho as I heard nothing about how much wind there was... which any QB will tell you is a much bigger factor than rain.

    How quiet a QB's feet are varies... for some, even some good ones, bouncing helps their rhythm and movement, but hopping when you land at the end of a drop or hopping to reset when you go from a middle primary to a swingpass checkdown? Bad juju there.... FIxable? Maybe, but given the near absence of him taking snaps under center, it would seem to me that he's just learned how to do it wrong... and that's troubling.

    Go check on who he threw to at the pro day.

    He only had one reciever available.  Stephen Mitchell jr.  Who is projected as a late round/fa pickup at best.  His #1 target Deontay Barnett tore his hamstrings and did not catch.  He had a former SC basketball player trying out, 70% Ronald Jones, who couldn't  run full speed, Travis Wilson who used to be the QB for Utah and walk-on players graduating.   He did not have his main guy to throw to at the pro day.  I am surprised not many people talked about the fact that he only had one true receiver that day. 

    @ashtabula said:

    Go check on who he threw to at the pro day.

    He only had one reciever available.  Stephen Mitchell jr.  Who is projected as a late round/fa pickup at best.  His #1 target Deontay Barnett tore his hamstrings and did not catch.  He had a former SC basketball player trying out, 70% Ronald Jones, who couldn't  run full speed, Travis Wilson who used to be the QB for Utah and walk-on players graduating.   He did not have his main guy to throw to at the pro day.  I am surprised not many people talked about the fact that he only had one true receiver that day. 

    So USC had only one good WR in 2018? Where are all the guys who love them some Darnold?

    @sd_tom said:

    Really wish he'd  thrown at the combine to show how he looked side by side with all the others.  To see how he looked with different WR who may or may not run great routes would've been nice.

    Everything I saw yesterday says that was a comparison Sam wanted no part of...

  • I think everyone is crazy who thinks Darnold should go #1.  There's no way to satisfactorily explain his turnovers and why they'd somehow get better.  He throws into double and triple coverage ALL OF THE TIME.  He's a "playmaker" at heart, which means he holds onto the ball too long, doesn't check down fast enough, and will take too many hits.  The easy pick would be Rosen, but he has injury concerns, which removes him from the equation (shoulder + concussions = no, no, no, no).  That leaves Baker Mayfield.  He's perfect for us, and I'll never forgive our team for screwing this up if they take somebody else.  

    If we take Josh Allen I'm officially done. 

  • @ashtabula said:

    Go check on who he threw to at the pro day.

    He only had one reciever available.  Stephen Mitchell jr.  Who is projected as a late round/fa pickup at best.  His #1 target Deontay Barnett tore his hamstrings and did not catch.  He had a former SC basketball player trying out, 70% Ronald Jones, who couldn't  run full speed, Travis Wilson who used to be the QB for Utah and walk-on players graduating.   He did not have his main guy to throw to at the pro day.  I am surprised not many people talked about the fact that he only had one true receiver that day. 

    So USC had only one good WR in 2018? Where are all the guys who love them some Darnold?

    @sd_tom said:

    Really wish he'd  thrown at the combine to show how he looked side by side with all the others.  To see how he looked with different WR who may or may not run great routes would've been nice.

    Everything I saw yesterday says that was a comparison Sam wanted no part of...

    @tour2ma said:

    So USC had only one good WR in 2018? Where are all the guys who love them some Darnold?

    Everything I saw yesterday says that was a comparison Sam wanted no part of...

    Deontay Burnett.   It is possible that the Browns could nab him late 2d, early 3rd round.  

  • D'arnold isn't near as good as Rosen or even Mayfield. I'm not sold on this one bit. But if we pick him, i'll for damn sure pull for him. He might be a better Prospect but that doesn't always translate to being a better NFL QB. See Blake Bortles.

  • @sd_tom said:

    Rosen's injuries are blown way out of proportion. 

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/gojoebruin.com/2018/03/01/nfl-combine-injury-excuses-ucla-josh-rosen-need-to-stop/amp/

    I read the article. You just can't poo-poo concussions like that guy did. They leave you more prone to the next one. He's not going to get hit in the NFL? Dream on. The other injuries you can write off. With Rosen's background- you can almost bet he suffers a few more concussions in the NFL- he'll prematurely call it a career before his brain gets permanently scrambled. 

  • D'arnold isn't near as good as Rosen or even Mayfield. I'm not sold on this one bit. But if we pick him, i'll for damn sure pull for him. He might be a better Prospect but that doesn't always translate to being a better NFL QB. See Blake Bortles.

    @stillmotion said:

    D'arnold isn't near as good as Rosen or even Mayfield. I'm not sold on this one bit. But if we pick him, i'll for damn sure pull for him. He might be a better Prospect but that doesn't always translate to being a better NFL QB. See Blake Bortles.

    I'll trust Dorsey & Company to make the call on the qb. As Josh Allen said after his pro day- their jobs depend on making the right choice. Does not apply to us fans. 🙂  

  • @sd_tom said:

    Rosen's injuries are blown way out of proportion. 

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/gojoebruin.com/2018/03/01/nfl-combine-injury-excuses-ucla-josh-rosen-need-to-stop/amp/

    I read the article. You just can't poo-poo concussions like that guy did. They leave you more prone to the next one. He's not going to get hit in the NFL? Dream on. The other injuries you can write off. With Rosen's background- you can almost bet he suffers a few more concussions in the NFL- he'll prematurely call it a career before his brain gets permanently scrambled. 

    @hoorta said:

    I read the article. You just can't poo-poo concussions like that guy did. They leave you more prone to the next one. He's not going to get hit in the NFL? Dream on. The other injuries you can write off. With Rosen's background- you can almost bet he suffers a few more concussions in the NFL- he'll prematurely call it a career before his brain gets permanently scrambled. 

    I'm sure his medicals will tell teams what they need to know. 

    Damn shame they didn't have any type of line or running game.

  • @sd_tom said:

    Rosen's injuries are blown way out of proportion. 

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/gojoebruin.com/2018/03/01/nfl-combine-injury-excuses-ucla-josh-rosen-need-to-stop/amp/

    I read the article. You just can't poo-poo concussions like that guy did. They leave you more prone to the next one. He's not going to get hit in the NFL? Dream on. The other injuries you can write off. With Rosen's background- you can almost bet he suffers a few more concussions in the NFL- he'll prematurely call it a career before his brain gets permanently scrambled. 

    @hoorta said:

    1. I read the article. You just can't poo-poo concussions like that guy did. They leave you more prone to the next one.
    2. He's not going to get hit in the NFL? Dream on. The other injuries you can write off.
    3. With Rosen's background- you can almost bet he suffers a few more concussions in the NFL- he'll prematurely call it a career before his brain gets permanently scrambled. 
    1. References?
    2. The point of the article is that hits can cause concussions. So what in you view makes Rosen more likely to be hit as a Pro?
    3. So basically you want a kid who is willing to go punchdrunk? It may happen, but to use this as a criteria??? Football is a sport of collisions. If you are in enough collisions, then sooner or later you will be concussed.

    I've had 4... earned everyone of them except the one that knocked me out cold. That one I was sitting stopped at a traffic light when a drunk doing 55 tried to put the rear bumper of my '76 Chevy Monza into my rear seat.

  • @hoorta said:

    1. I read the article. You just can't poo-poo concussions like that guy did. They leave you more prone to the next one.
    2. He's not going to get hit in the NFL? Dream on. The other injuries you can write off.
    3. With Rosen's background- you can almost bet he suffers a few more concussions in the NFL- he'll prematurely call it a career before his brain gets permanently scrambled. 
    1. References?
    2. The point of the article is that hits can cause concussions. So what in you view makes Rosen more likely to be hit as a Pro?
    3. So basically you want a kid who is willing to go punchdrunk? It may happen, but to use this as a criteria??? Football is a sport of collisions. If you are in enough collisions, then sooner or later you will be concussed.

    I've had 4... earned everyone of them except the one that knocked me out cold. That one I was sitting stopped at a traffic light when a drunk doing 55 tried to put the rear bumper of my '76 Chevy Monza into my rear seat.

    @tour2ma said:

    1. References?
    2. The point of the article is that hits can cause concussions. So what in you view makes Rosen more likely to be hit as a Pro?
    3. So basically you want a kid who is willing to go punchdrunk? It may happen, but to use this as a criteria??? Football is a sport of collisions. If you are in enough collisions, then sooner or later you will be concussed.

    I've had 4... earned everyone of them except the one that knocked me out cold. That one I was sitting stopped at a traffic light when a drunk doing 55 tried to put the rear bumper of my '76 Chevy Monza into my rear seat.

    1) I was referring to the link where the guy was minimizing Rosen's injury history. You know darn well highly likely each concussion will take a longer recovery time. I'm not about to Google around 10 medical articles I know are out there to prove my point 

    2) Rosen WILL get hit multiple times as a pro.  The season is longer, and the defensive guys are generally bigger and faster. You know the equation. force = mass X acceleration.  🙂 Worries me, and a bunch of others.   Fair enough? 

    3) Exact opposite, if I get your drift- he'll retire rather than risk permanent brain injury. There have been several lesser guys who have called it a career after a couple concussions. It's not just head injuries- blown out knees, Achilles tears, fractured ribs, lisfrank feet, about any high impact injury you care to name.  How much damage to your body you willing to put up with?  Will Rosen be willing to deal with that? According to the interview snippet I saw it seems he's willing. We'll see.  🙂  

  • @stillmotion said:

    D'arnold isn't near as good as Rosen or even Mayfield. I'm not sold on this one bit. But if we pick him, i'll for damn sure pull for him. He might be a better Prospect but that doesn't always translate to being a better NFL QB. See Blake Bortles.

    I'll trust Dorsey & Company to make the call on the qb. As Josh Allen said after his pro day- their jobs depend on making the right choice. Does not apply to us fans. 🙂  

    @hoorta said:

    I'll trust Dorsey & Company to make the call on the qb. As Josh Allen said after his pro day- their jobs depend on making the right choice. Does not apply to us fans. 🙂  

    What?!! I would lose my job as a premier couch potato madly typing away opinions to piss people off!!!!🥷

  • @hoorta said:

    1. I read the article. You just can't poo-poo concussions like that guy did. They leave you more prone to the next one.
    2. He's not going to get hit in the NFL? Dream on. The other injuries you can write off.
    3. With Rosen's background- you can almost bet he suffers a few more concussions in the NFL- he'll prematurely call it a career before his brain gets permanently scrambled. 
    1. References?
    2. The point of the article is that hits can cause concussions. So what in you view makes Rosen more likely to be hit as a Pro?
    3. So basically you want a kid who is willing to go punchdrunk? It may happen, but to use this as a criteria??? Football is a sport of collisions. If you are in enough collisions, then sooner or later you will be concussed.

    I've had 4... earned everyone of them except the one that knocked me out cold. That one I was sitting stopped at a traffic light when a drunk doing 55 tried to put the rear bumper of my '76 Chevy Monza into my rear seat.

    @tour2ma said:

    I've had 4... earned everyone of them except the one that knocked me out cold. That one I was sitting stopped at a traffic light when a drunk doing 55 tried to put the rear bumper of my '76 Chevy Monza into my rear seat.

    Did you have head rests on that thing? A friend of mine was killed that very same way because his car didn't have head rests and it broke his neck. You are lucky to be here.

  • I have two issues with Sam Darnold,  and they may be small in the grand scheme

    1. His game agaist OSU was ....bad

    2. he looks like Wreck it Ralphlatest?cb=20161113154352

  • 3. New cover boy for Mad Magazine 

  • I have two issues with Sam Darnold,  and they may be small in the grand scheme

    1. His game agaist OSU was ....bad

    2. he looks like Wreck it Ralphlatest?cb=20161113154352

    @mohican said:

    I have two issues with Sam Darnold,  and they may be small in the grand scheme

    1. His game agaist OSU was ....bad

    2. he looks like Wreck it Ralphlatest?cb=20161113154352

    Yeah, Sam does sort of have a goofy look, but I won't hold that against him. Some guys are even fretting over that slightly reddish hair. 

    Regarding the OSU game, I like to bring up the playoff game long ago where Lawrence Taylor and his pals made Joe Montana look like Joe Blow. 

    It was one game, and I can't remember the stats how many times Sam got hit or hurried, it was a crazy high number.

  • @mohican said:

    I have two issues with Sam Darnold,  and they may be small in the grand scheme

    1. His game agaist OSU was ....bad

    2. he looks like Wreck it Ralphlatest?cb=20161113154352

    Yeah, Sam does sort of have a goofy look, but I won't hold that against him. Some guys are even fretting over that slightly reddish hair. 

    Regarding the OSU game, I like to bring up the playoff game long ago where Lawrence Taylor and his pals made Joe Montana look like Joe Blow. 

    It was one game, and I can't remember the stats how many times Sam got hit or hurried, it was a crazy high number.

    @hoorta said:

    Yeah, Sam does sort of have a goofy look, but I won't hold that against him. Some guys are even fretting over that slightly reddish hair. 

    Regarding the OSU game, I like to bring up the playoff game long ago where Lawrence Taylor and his pals made Joe Montana look like Joe Blow. 

    It was one game, and I can't remember the stats how many times Sam got hit or hurried, it was a crazy high number.

    1. Gingers have no souls, which might be a positive for a QB.

    2. I'm not sure there is a QB alive who would have looked good against Ohio State in that game. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    1. References?
    2. The point of the article is that hits can cause concussions. So what in you view makes Rosen more likely to be hit as a Pro?
    3. So basically you want a kid who is willing to go punchdrunk? It may happen, but to use this as a criteria??? Football is a sport of collisions. If you are in enough collisions, then sooner or later you will be concussed.

    I've had 4... earned everyone of them except the one that knocked me out cold. That one I was sitting stopped at a traffic light when a drunk doing 55 tried to put the rear bumper of my '76 Chevy Monza into my rear seat.

    1) I was referring to the link where the guy was minimizing Rosen's injury history. You know darn well highly likely each concussion will take a longer recovery time. I'm not about to Google around 10 medical articles I know are out there to prove my point 

    2) Rosen WILL get hit multiple times as a pro.  The season is longer, and the defensive guys are generally bigger and faster. You know the equation. force = mass X acceleration.  🙂 Worries me, and a bunch of others.   Fair enough? 

    3) Exact opposite, if I get your drift- he'll retire rather than risk permanent brain injury. There have been several lesser guys who have called it a career after a couple concussions. It's not just head injuries- blown out knees, Achilles tears, fractured ribs, lisfrank feet, about any high impact injury you care to name.  How much damage to your body you willing to put up with?  Will Rosen be willing to deal with that? According to the interview snippet I saw it seems he's willing. We'll see.  🙂  

    @hoorta said:

    1) You know darn well highly likely each concussion will take a longer recovery time. I'm not about to Google around 10 medical articles I know are out there to prove my point 

    2) Rosen WILL get hit multiple times as a pro.  The season is longer, and the defensive guys are generally bigger and faster. You know the equation. force = mass X acceleration.  🙂 Worries me, and a bunch of others.   Fair enough? 

    3) Exact opposite, if I get your drift- he'll retire rather than risk permanent brain injury. There have been several lesser guys who have called it a career after a couple concussions. It's not just head injuries- blown out knees, Achilles tears, fractured ribs, lisfrank feet, about any high impact injury you care to name.  How much damage to your body you willing to put up with?  Will Rosen be willing to deal with that? According to the interview snippet I saw it seems he's willing. We'll see.  🙂 

    1. Point is I have done the research and I know your statement is only true to a point beyond which the science is not set.
    2. You did not answer the question... Which was, why do you think Josh, the QB who runs the least of the top four, will suffer more hard hits?
    3. Yup... we won't know. He might go Chris Borland on us, but then he's not playing MLB.
  • @tour2ma said:

    I've had 4... earned everyone of them except the one that knocked me out cold. That one I was sitting stopped at a traffic light when a drunk doing 55 tried to put the rear bumper of my '76 Chevy Monza into my rear seat.

    Did you have head rests on that thing? A friend of mine was killed that very same way because his car didn't have head rests and it broke his neck. You are lucky to be here.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Did you have head rests on that thing? A friend of mine was killed that very same way because his car didn't have head rests and it broke his neck. You are lucky to be here.

    Yup... very lucky, but not due to a headrest, which the car had, but due to a near empty gas tank. Late nite commute and could not find an open station due to one of those 70's gas shortages so I was limping home on "E". The tank ruptured.

    The front anchors of the bucket seat pulled out of the floor/chasis. The back of the driver's seat broke on the frame of the back bench seat. Every window save the front and passenger door blew out/in.

    Last thing I remember was a flash of headlights in the rearview mirror. Next thing was being "awakened" on the other side of a 5 lane intersection. Still no idea what I might have hit my head on unless it was the steering wheel, but my thrust should have been backwards. A forehead lac said I hit something.

    Found out two years later there was a third car that was next to me at the light that was sideswiped by the drunk that hit me.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Did you have head rests on that thing? A friend of mine was killed that very same way because his car didn't have head rests and it broke his neck. You are lucky to be here.

    Yup... very lucky, but not due to a headrest, which the car had, but due to a near empty gas tank. Late nite commute and could not find an open station due to one of those 70's gas shortages so I was limping home on "E". The tank ruptured.

    The front anchors of the bucket seat pulled out of the floor/chasis. The back of the driver's seat broke on the frame of the back bench seat. Every window save the front and passenger door blew out/in.

    Last thing I remember was a flash of headlights in the rearview mirror. Next thing was being "awakened" on the other side of a 5 lane intersection. Still no idea what I might have hit my head on unless it was the steering wheel, but my thrust should have been backwards. A forehead lac said I hit something.

    Found out two years later there was a third car that was next to me at the light that was sideswiped by the drunk that hit me.

    @tour2ma said:

    Yup... very lucky, but not due to a headrest, which the car had, but due to a near empty gas tank. Late nite commute and could not find an open station due to one of those 70's gas shortages so I was limping home on "E". The tank ruptured.

    The front anchors of the bucket seat pulled out of the floor/chasis. The back of the driver's seat broke on the frame of the back bench seat. Every window save the front and passenger door blew out/in.

    Last thing I remember was a flash of headlights in the rearview mirror. Next thing was being "awakened" on the other side of a 5 lane intersection. Still no idea what I might have hit my head on unless it was the steering wheel, but my thrust should have been backwards. A forehead lac said I hit something.

    Found out two years later there was a third car that was next to me at the light that was sideswiped by the drunk that hit me.

    I think we're all glad that you're still with us after that one.  I had one- but not nearly as bad on a snowy day up in Cleveland- the guy who hit me only caved in around a foot of the trunk and rear bumper. No head rest on the '63 comet I was driving, I still remember seeing out the back window just fine- without the rear view mirror.  

  • @hoorta said:

    1) You know darn well highly likely each concussion will take a longer recovery time. I'm not about to Google around 10 medical articles I know are out there to prove my point 

    2) Rosen WILL get hit multiple times as a pro.  The season is longer, and the defensive guys are generally bigger and faster. You know the equation. force = mass X acceleration.  🙂 Worries me, and a bunch of others.   Fair enough? 

    3) Exact opposite, if I get your drift- he'll retire rather than risk permanent brain injury. There have been several lesser guys who have called it a career after a couple concussions. It's not just head injuries- blown out knees, Achilles tears, fractured ribs, lisfrank feet, about any high impact injury you care to name.  How much damage to your body you willing to put up with?  Will Rosen be willing to deal with that? According to the interview snippet I saw it seems he's willing. We'll see.  🙂 

    1. Point is I have done the research and I know your statement is only true to a point beyond which the science is not set.
    2. You did not answer the question... Which was, why do you think Josh, the QB who runs the least of the top four, will suffer more hard hits?
    3. Yup... we won't know. He might go Chris Borland on us, but then he's not playing MLB.

    @tour2ma said:

    1. Point is I have done the research and I know your statement is only true to a point beyond which the science is not set.
    2. You did not answer the question... Which was, why do you think Josh, the QB who runs the least of the top four, will suffer more hard hits?
    3. Yup... we won't know. He might go Chris Borland on us, but then he's not playing MLB.

    2) You're sort of answering your own question. Exactly because he runs the least- and is the least mobile of the big 4 (yeah I know about the 40 times) he's going to be more prone to getting clobbered in the pocket. It's not the ones you see coming- it's the ones you don't. Joe won't be there anymore to protect his blind side.  🙂