Darnold at #1?
-
LaDexter said:
I am much more in favor of taking Bradley Chubb at #1 and remembering when the NYG had Strahan, Tuck, and Osi.... I was not a fan of Garrett, but his "late off the snap" issue so vivid on his A&M tape vanished in a CLE uniform. Chubb and Garrett ... foundation of a SB defense.
If Ohio State can shut down Darnold... imagine what the Bengals and Steelers will do...
Go rewatch the tOSU v USC game. Ohio state hardly shut down Darnold.
Edit: I want Chubb taken at number 1 also for the record. Just don't get how people say Ohio state shut down Darnold.
-
I love how folks assume 'development" is inevitable...
Timing feels wrong to be true, but #106 at left edge of photo sure looks like a young Nick Foles.
-
One more thing. I realize we can't believe a single thing we hear right now, but Peter King wrote (in Monday Morning QB article) that he heard from a "friend from Doresey" that it's going to be Josh Allen at #1, and then Barkely at #4. I'm fine with Barkley at 4, but if we take Josh Allen at #1, I'm going to need immediate psychiatric care. Well, more psychiatric care than usual. I know, I know...it's the NFL silly season. But...but...I don't want Allen. AT ALL.
I would start your therapy early. I think the Browns truly believe Tyrod is going to give them 2-3 solid years of qb play. This is why I think Allen is going to be the pick. They will sit him and let him develop. I also think that if the Jets really want Darnold or Rosen, the Browns are going to be open to trading the #1 with them. I still believe this is going to be a draft then swap type of move.
I would start your therapy early. I think the Browns truly believe Tyrod is going to give them 2-3 solid years of qb play. This is why I think Allen is going to be the pick. They will sit him and let him develop. I also think that if the Jets really want Darnold or Rosen, the Browns are going to be open to trading the #1 with them. I still believe this is going to be a draft then swap type of move.
That's a fair and observant point. I agree with you in that I completely believe Tyrod will give us 2-3 years of consistent, quality QB play. Like I said in another long, rambling, Jiggins post, I don't see us parting ways with Tyrod after we play remarkably better with a guy like Tyrod compared to our awful 2017. After suffering through a winless season, something very hard for everybody, I see us fighting very hard this year, and maybe pushing for a wildcard slot deep into November, and then finally getting knocked out of contention in the 4th quarter of the season. Obviously this is all just complete speculation, but I seriously believe it. Our additions of Damarious Randall, Jarvis Landry, Tyrod Landry, EJ Gaines (a sneaky addition btw), Carlos Hyde, and whoever we add in the draft will be enough to take us from winless to possibly 6 wins. That might not sound like a bunch, but if you're a team that wins 6, it generally means you were close in many others.
Since I believe in Tyrod so much, and I think our coaches do too, I COULD see us drafting the QB who might have the upside, but would take the most time to develop. I could see it, but I don't AGREE with it. For me, the QB position comes down to accuracy and confidence. Accuracy seems to be the one thing a guy has or he does not. It's not generally something a guy learns as he sits. Can you put the ball where you want it, and do you have the huevos to pull the trigger? Nothing I've seen of Josh Allen tells me he can be the guy. I don't care HOW far he can throw it. Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, and Sam Darnold....in that order.
-
Probably was.
Nick Foles is 8 or 9 years older than Darnold.
I kind of doubt they were ever at the same QB camp...

-
Probably was.
Nick Foles is 8 or 9 years older than Darnold.
I kind of doubt they were ever at the same QB camp...

Nick Foles is 8 or 9 years older than Darnold.
I kind of doubt they were ever at the same QB camp...

Oh yeah he and Matt barkley came out the same year...or 1 year apart.
-
I would start your therapy early. I think the Browns truly believe Tyrod is going to give them 2-3 solid years of qb play. This is why I think Allen is going to be the pick. They will sit him and let him develop. I also think that if the Jets really want Darnold or Rosen, the Browns are going to be open to trading the #1 with them. I still believe this is going to be a draft then swap type of move.
That's a fair and observant point. I agree with you in that I completely believe Tyrod will give us 2-3 years of consistent, quality QB play. Like I said in another long, rambling, Jiggins post, I don't see us parting ways with Tyrod after we play remarkably better with a guy like Tyrod compared to our awful 2017. After suffering through a winless season, something very hard for everybody, I see us fighting very hard this year, and maybe pushing for a wildcard slot deep into November, and then finally getting knocked out of contention in the 4th quarter of the season. Obviously this is all just complete speculation, but I seriously believe it. Our additions of Damarious Randall, Jarvis Landry, Tyrod Landry, EJ Gaines (a sneaky addition btw), Carlos Hyde, and whoever we add in the draft will be enough to take us from winless to possibly 6 wins. That might not sound like a bunch, but if you're a team that wins 6, it generally means you were close in many others.
Since I believe in Tyrod so much, and I think our coaches do too, I COULD see us drafting the QB who might have the upside, but would take the most time to develop. I could see it, but I don't AGREE with it. For me, the QB position comes down to accuracy and confidence. Accuracy seems to be the one thing a guy has or he does not. It's not generally something a guy learns as he sits. Can you put the ball where you want it, and do you have the huevos to pull the trigger? Nothing I've seen of Josh Allen tells me he can be the guy. I don't care HOW far he can throw it. Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, and Sam Darnold....in that order.
Since I believe in Tyrod so much, and I think our coaches do too, I COULD see us drafting the QB who might have the upside, but would take the most time to develop. I could see it, but I don't AGREE with it. For me, the QB position comes down to accuracy and confidence. Accuracy seems to be the one thing a guy has or he does not. It's not generally something a guy learns as he sits. Can you put the ball where you want it, and do you have the huevos to pull the trigger? Nothing I've seen of Josh Allen tells me he can be the guy. I don't care HOW far he can throw it. Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, and Sam Darnold....in that order.
I think Tyrod was a smart acquisition, but I'm not giddy. He's in the final year of the deal we acquired with him... I doubt we'll extend/resign him.
If we draft a QB that needs to sit more than half a season, then we drafted the wrong guy. That's plenty of time to get play-calling down and a rook's 5/7-step drops from under Center down pat. What's left to learn, audibles, post snap reads, progressions, etc., requires a #1's reps and playing.
Aaron Rodgers? There's no indication that he needed to sit one-year let alone three.
Speaking of Rodgers... I've used him to develop a new QB prospect measure... The EYE Test.
New thread coming up....
-
Interesting on Rodgers though, I saw the 2005 nfl draft documentary recently on NFL network that discussed his drop. There are definitely the "I told you so" guys on the show, but they also talked to Mayock and Kiper about it at the time and I must have forgotten, but there were major concerns about him coming out. Nobody thought he would become the superstar qb that he has turned into. Most agreed that Alex Smith was hands down the #1 guy and the right pick by the niners.
-
Guys.. Don’t Worry. The Josh Allen talk is smokescreen. Like I said, Darnold is the pick
All this Josh Allen talk is a smokescreen by Dorsey and Co. to keep the value of pick #4 sky high.
If we came out and said “Hey, We’re taking Darnold at 1” then any team interested in trading up for Allen at 4 (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield are going 1,2,3) would have a month’s time to formulate a package and we’d also be losing leverage.
But, sending out a smokescreen that we haven’t decided on a Darnold or Allen? We keep teams guessing all the way up until we’re on the clock at 1. After we take Darnold, now any team who wants Allen at 4 has 20-30 minutes to rush to make a trade with us, which puts them in a much more desperate situation and we could get much more if we wanted to trade that pick.
Look who’s leaking the stuff that we’re interested in Allen. It’s Peter King, Dorsey’s friend. King is helping out his buddy by creating confusion.
Darnold is the pick guys
-
I do believe it's Darnold, if I were to bet on it.
But Allen isn't bust material. Busts happen mostly because of their intangibles. They were trying to teach kizer to see the field.
can't do it.
Allen does. Me, I'd pick Allen. But I think the Browns will go Darnold. I remember Tour "having a friend" who said Allen didn't do well on the whiteboard.
lol.
Wrong. Allen, Darnold, Rudolph, Mayfield have the intangibles and nobody doubts it. Rosen's intangibles seem to match up with Leaf's as leaf himself talks about why he failed back in the day.
-
I love Josh Allen, down home on the farm, all American boy, big, strong, smart, dedicated, and willing to go through walls to succeed. I can't remember any QB I liked more in any draft. I just wish he doesn't get drafted by some team I hate or don't care for at all, like Bills, Jets Giants, or especially the Steelers.
-
I do believe it's Darnold, if I were to bet on it.
But Allen isn't bust material. Busts happen mostly because of their intangibles. They were trying to teach kizer to see the field.
can't do it.
Allen does. Me, I'd pick Allen. But I think the Browns will go Darnold. I remember Tour "having a friend" who said Allen didn't do well on the whiteboard.
lol.
Wrong. Allen, Darnold, Rudolph, Mayfield have the intangibles and nobody doubts it. Rosen's intangibles seem to match up with Leaf's as leaf himself talks about why he failed back in the day.
I remember Tour "having a friend" who said Allen didn't do well on the whiteboard.
Your mind is going fast... must be the strain.
There were reports from the Combine that he bombed. Others said he did fine... which I also reported. You could put all the folks reporting in a line up and I could not tell you who was who.
-
I do believe it's Darnold, if I were to bet on it.
But Allen isn't bust material. Busts happen mostly because of their intangibles. They were trying to teach kizer to see the field.
can't do it.
Allen does. Me, I'd pick Allen. But I think the Browns will go Darnold. I remember Tour "having a friend" who said Allen didn't do well on the whiteboard.
lol.
Wrong. Allen, Darnold, Rudolph, Mayfield have the intangibles and nobody doubts it. Rosen's intangibles seem to match up with Leaf's as leaf himself talks about why he failed back in the day.
I do believe it's Darnold, if I were to bet on it.
But Allen isn't bust material. Busts happen mostly because of their intangibles. They were trying to teach kizer to see the field.
can't do it.
Allen does. Me, I'd pick Allen. But I think the Browns will go Darnold. I remember Tour "having a friend" who said Allen didn't do well on the whiteboard.
lol.
Wrong. Allen, Darnold, Rudolph, Mayfield have the intangibles and nobody doubts it. Rosen's intangibles seem to match up with Leaf's as leaf himself talks about why he failed back in the day.
Again, if you're willing to be a chaunce about how much of a lock you're calling Allen's future success - I've offered you a friendly bet upon it.
Either put up or shut up. You won't see me go to bat over a player I don't think will produce.
-
I do believe it's Darnold, if I were to bet on it.
But Allen isn't bust material. Busts happen mostly because of their intangibles. They were trying to teach kizer to see the field.
can't do it.
Allen does. Me, I'd pick Allen. But I think the Browns will go Darnold. I remember Tour "having a friend" who said Allen didn't do well on the whiteboard.
lol.
Wrong. Allen, Darnold, Rudolph, Mayfield have the intangibles and nobody doubts it. Rosen's intangibles seem to match up with Leaf's as leaf himself talks about why he failed back in the day.
Again, if you're willing to be a chaunce about how much of a lock you're calling Allen's future success - I've offered you a friendly bet upon it.
Either put up or shut up. You won't see me go to bat over a player I don't think will produce.
Again, if you're willing to be a chaunce about how much of a lock you're calling Allen's future success - I've offered you a friendly bet upon it.
Either put up or shut up. You won't see me go to bat over a player I don't think will produce.
Rosen will smoke Allen's production in the NFL.
-
Pretty good analysis. I think DJ is pretty damn good at his job and have a lot of respect for his opinions.
-
I've also heard from NFL Network that Darnold was the QB who seemed fine with sitting a year or so, and I think that plays well into our strategy. How would a guy like Baker Mayfield handle that? Now I don't think he'd be a distraction or a malcontent, but it's nice to draft a guy like Darnold who is realistic about where his abilities currently are at and that he understands it might be better to sit for a while.
This isn't to say that I still don't want Mayfield, but it's a fair point. Everywhere Baker went he earned the starting gig. No minor feat, either. I love so many things about Baker and I actually DO believe he's exactly what we need. Do you guys remember when Drew Brees came out of college and what the biggest knock was against him? It was that he couldn't throw over 15 yards. Remember that? Brees was extremely accurate and deadly on the shorter stuff, but he couldn't push it down the field. Well, it's safe to say THAT was bogus. I mention this because I see A LOT of Brees in Baker Mayfield, and while they have VERY different personalities and different shortcomings to their game, I see similarities. The accuracy, the drive, the size, and someone who has beaten the odds for years to continuously prove people wrong. I think there's a reason we haven't heard too much about the Browns being linked to Baker. Sure there's the story about our scout saying Baker was his favorite, and even some stuff from Dorsey saying he really liked him, but there really hasn't been much Baker Mayfield to Cleveland rumor speak going on lately. Perhaps that's because we're lulling people to sleep in another smokescreen and we really DO like him? I certainly hope so. I'm way more sold on Baker than I am Darnold, but I've at least gotten to the point where I see the potential in Darnold and wouldn't be angry if he's the guy. I just can't shake the feeling that Baker's uber competitive personality simply won't LET HIM fail, and he's the type of person that is going to work his 6 ft butt off to learn every single nuance of the NFL game. From where he came from and that Air Raid style, he's got a TON to learn, but I see him diving into the playbook 24/7 and putting in the work like no other.
-
We are going to have some really excellent players available to us in that top 50 and I have we have sense enough to use some of the later round picks to trade even further up in the draft, especially up from the 2nd to 1st round for a top end RB. So may will be there from #20 on down. We could take our pick excluding Mr. Hype from PSU. Even DJ is falling for it.
-
No Orlando Brown in the top 50. Man, he was considered a first round talent before that awful Combine perfomance. Tape is always more important than the shirt and short Olympics, but with such a sh!tshow you can destroy your career...
-
We are going to have some really excellent players available to us in that top 50 and I have we have sense enough to use some of the later round picks to trade even further up in the draft, especially up from the 2nd to 1st round for a top end RB. So may will be there from #20 on down. We could take our pick excluding Mr. Hype from PSU. Even DJ is falling for it.
Jr's tape was not that good... OU's offense was very OL friendly.
We are going to have some really excellent players available to us in that top 50 and I have we have sense enough to use some of the later round picks to trade even further up in the draft, especially up from the 2nd to 1st round for a top end RB. So may will be there from #20 on down. We could take our pick excluding Mr. Hype from PSU. Even DJ is falling for it.
I don't think it's hype to have Barky near the top of your players grades, and if you have to make one of the top group your #1 guy, then Bark's as good a choice as any. He's in my top player grouping (I don't bother trying to order them within groups; I think it's a waste of time). From the groups I pluck prospects straight to my Big Board bringing in other factors.
As with most folks I love some of DJ's takes on prospects... others not so much. Shockingly the love or lack of it is entirely based upon whether I agree with his take.
-
I remember Tour "having a friend" who said Allen didn't do well on the whiteboard.
Your mind is going fast... must be the strain.
There were reports from the Combine that he bombed. Others said he did fine... which I also reported. You could put all the folks reporting in a line up and I could not tell you who was who.
Your mind is going fast... must be the strain.
There were reports from the Combine that he bombed. Others said he did fine... which I also reported. You could put all the folks reporting in a line up and I could not tell you who was who.
Sam Darnold signed some Browns helmets (unless they’re fake)
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
