Darnold at #1?
-
I can live with picking Darnold at #1, especially knowing that he won't be expected to start right away. Major downside is that ugly mug, he's not as handsome as Mayfield

-
For some reason I get a little Jared Goff feeling about Sam.
WSS
-
I don't like Darnold's face. He looks confused all the time
I don't like Darnold's face. He looks confused all the time
He has a face only a mother could love.

-
Zom- good job of photoshop. I'm curious how long it took you?
Took me less than 10 seconds to download somebody else's handywork.
Zombo
--Looks sharp though, no?
Zombo said:
Took me less than 10 seconds to download somebody else's handywork.
Zombo
--Looks sharp though, no?
No.....we really do need new, better looking uniforms. But its OK for what it is.
-
Well I just hope they put their heads together and guess correctly. It still seems to me that the consensus is that Rosen is more ready to play in the NFL that the other three. Of course it also seems like a pretty tight race and if he really is reluctant to play for the Browns that might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I almost always have a clear front runner what it comes to quarterback selection and now that we sit on the top of the pile it's not that clear.
WSS
According to NFL.com it's not close at all, where Darnold is rated the best QB prospect for many years.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position
Darnold 7.0
Trubisky 6.3
Wentz 6.5
Winston 6.7
Mariotta 6.2 (Mod edit)
Bortles 6.2
According to NFL.com it's not close at all, where Darnold is rated the best QB prospect for many years.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position
Darnold 7.0
Trubisky 6.3
Wentz 6.5
Winston 6.7
Bortles 6.2
What about the rest of this year's group?
-
The more I watch Darnold, the less that I like.
-
Zombo said:
Took me less than 10 seconds to download somebody else's handywork.
Zombo
--Looks sharp though, no?
No.....we really do need new, better looking uniforms. But its OK for what it is.
No.....we really do need new, better looking uniforms. But its OK for what it is.
Yes, these Johnny-Manziel era unis blow. Just thinking Darnold looks the part as a big, strong, dumb AFC North QB. Worked for the other teams in the division.
Zombo
-
As probably the only guy on this forum who has seen every single snap of both Darnold and Rosen and likes both of them, I'll crudely sum it up as this:
You want a guy to teach a QB clinic on what a prototypical QB's mechanics should look like..... Rosen's your dude.
You want a guy who makes accurate, on time throws from all over the field while looking a bit awkward..... Darnold's the pick.
You want a guy who looks like he's into the game 100% of the time no matter the score..... Darnold.
You want a guy who sometimes looks like he would rather be anywhere but where he is no matter the score..... Rosen.
Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.......
As probably the only guy on this forum who has seen every single snap of both Darnold and Rosen and likes both of them, I'll crudely sum it up as this:
You want a guy to teach a QB clinic on what a prototypical QB's mechanics should look like..... Rosen's your dude.
You want a guy who makes accurate, on time throws from all over the field while looking a bit awkward..... Darnold's the pick.
You want a guy who looks like he's into the game 100% of the time no matter the score..... Darnold.
You want a guy who sometimes looks like he would rather be anywhere but where he is no matter the score..... Rosen.
Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.......
I don't care what their facial expression is. Unless they do the Weeden face after that underhanded flip.
-
According to NFL.com it's not close at all, where Darnold is rated the best QB prospect for many years.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position
Darnold 7.0
Trubisky 6.3
Wentz 6.5
Winston 6.7
Bortles 6.2
What about the rest of this year's group?
What about the rest of this year's group?
Well you've got the top 10 there. The best the next quarterback could be would be a 6.4 correct?
Click on the letter to go to the list alphabetically.
WSS
-
I feel that’s it’s a sure thing Darnold is going to be a brown. And I’m really happy about that. But now with the heat being turned up with people after Barkley and Chubb or one of the other three qbs that 4 spot really gets valuable. So if the browns get the other teams 1 and 1 next year and a 2 and 3 this year should they trade down? I say yes because of the statistics of where most great players come from but either way the browns are in a great spot but like I said I take more picks what do you fellas think
I feel that’s it’s a sure thing Darnold is going to be a brown. And I’m really happy about that. But now with the heat being turned up with people after Barkley and Chubb or one of the other three qbs that 4 spot really gets valuable. So if the browns get the other teams 1 and 1 next year and a 2 and 3 this year should they trade down? I say yes because of the statistics of where most great players come from but either way the browns are in a great spot but like I said I take more picks what do you fellas think
More picks? And put them where?
This was already the youngest team in the NFL, they need quality not quantity.....unless they want to field an NFL JV team.
Trade UP not down, still have 10 picks to burn through.
-
First time post.
This is what I see in Darnold:
1. He has moxie/it factor. He will sling it and make all the throws. (please go back and watch all the throws not just the highlight ones.)
2. He never wavers. Cool customer
3. He was first recruited as a linebacker by Justin Wilcox, then the def. Coordinator at SC as a sophomore. He is a football player.
4. His grandfather, D!ck Hammer, was a basketball and volleyball player at SC. Later participated in the Olympics in volleyball. Later, became the original Marboroman. He has cool in his genes. Most of his immediate family members were college athletes.
5. He is a quiet person and leads by example. Much like Barry Sanders. Captain of his high school basketball and football teams. Also captain of USC team as a rs-sophomore.
6. His dad, a plummer/ mom a gym teacher. Has blue collar work ethics.
7. He wins. And usually, he is a big part of the reason why. I never felt that way about other qbs. Even Carson Palmer. 3 years at Sc he was a .500 winning % qb with equally talented team. Barkley/Kessler with better oline and better recievers (Robert woods/Marquis Lee/Nelson Agulhor/Juju)
I have been following USC since I went to school there in 1993. And I can attest that he will be the QB that will bring Browns out of the football purgatory and lead them to the promise land. I laughed when people questioned his competitiveness when he decided not to throw on the combine. Because he loves competition.
When he was coming out of high school, Rosen was the #1 rated QB in the Nation. And Darnold, who played OLB, WR and QB at his high school only focused on playing the QB position during his senior year. (he was injured part of his junior year). 2nd best QB was widely considered Ricky towns who signed with USC. When Darnold was offered, he didn't hesitate to come in and compete with Towns/Kessler/Browne-who was the consesus best QB recruit before.
Darnold came in after the first week of summer throwing sessions, Ricky Towns left the school before the actually enrollment. He knew he couldn't beat out this kid who seemed to come out of nowhere.
In Darnold's true freshman year, he was so good that John Robinson, former usc/Ram's coach quoted saying that he is the best player on the field everytime he has the ball. But because USC was coming off NCAA sanction years, coaches wanted to play safe and play the veteran QB, Cody kessler, incumbent starter who was, less talented but decent college QB. Darnold becomes the service team MVP.
Next year, since the spring ball, Darnold seemed to pull ahead but Coached decides to go with Browne at QB that made usc go 1-3 in the first 4 games. Darnold steps in and wins the rest of the games and wins the Rosebowl.
In 2017, SC lost 2 multiple year starters at LT and RT and their best Guard to NFL, lost 3 senior WRs who were the 3/4/5 option and 1st option in JUJU and dynamic playmaker in Adoree Jackson. we knew we had a shaky offensive line, questionable playcalling and unproven WRs. and of the three loses. If you watch the first 5 games, half the int are because the he hit the WR in the hands and they would just bat in the air or drop. On many occasions they run the wrong routes. The fumbles are on him but that's because he wants to win, and tries to do too much. And the teamates know what he is about. He never complained. He never blamed others. He always said I need to get better. Watch the @Washington St. game where defense lost the game which he almost made a another comeback. SC lost 3 linemen before the game had a true freshman playing guard and center playing LT.
People who follow SC in the last few years believe that Sam actually saved HeadcoachHelton's job.
He will save Jackson's job. He will save cleveland.
-
As probably the only guy on this forum who has seen every single snap of both Darnold and Rosen and likes both of them, I'll crudely sum it up as this:
You want a guy to teach a QB clinic on what a prototypical QB's mechanics should look like..... Rosen's your dude.
You want a guy who makes accurate, on time throws from all over the field while looking a bit awkward..... Darnold's the pick.
You want a guy who looks like he's into the game 100% of the time no matter the score..... Darnold.
You want a guy who sometimes looks like he would rather be anywhere but where he is no matter the score..... Rosen.
Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.......
I don't care what their facial expression is. Unless they do the Weeden face after that underhanded flip.
I don't care what their facial expression is. Unless they do the Weeden face after that underhanded flip.
More than just facial expressions.....
When you watch a real game in real time so you have the feel for the flow and pressure of the game - not just highlight clips or days while they're wearing shorts and a tank top, you can easily see when an athlete checks out a bit, or rises to the challenge regardless of the ultimate outcome.
As I said, I like both dudes but there were more than just a few times over the years of watching Rosen where I was like "Come on dude, be a phucking leader out there"....... I never thought that even once with Darnold.
With the #1 overall pick investment to the most important position in professional team sports, you decide what 'facial expression' you want leading your Browns.
-
Impressive. Of all the traits you listed - none of them mean a damn in the NFL.
Welcome, though. From Bula' or just like the name?
-
From. I have to.say. He will replace Clay Mathew Sr. as.the greatest SC Brown.
-
Well, after watching Darnold's pro day...twice, I think:
1. Darnold rocked it, in the rain. He has quick feet in the pocket to evade the rush and extend plays, throws on the run beautifully, fluidly - keeps his eyes downfield, has a real, real good arm, has worked on his ball security, and throws a beautiful catchable ball, that still doesn't float - still *gets there*....and in his interview afterwards - he's the real deal - the kind of guy you can make a franchise qb of your team and never worry that you made a mistake.
2. I don't know how Josh Allen tops that in his pro day.
3. Allen will have to show a lot of touch on his passes, excellent footwork, be as accurate...and at best, maybe he ties Darnold's pro day. Advantage - Darnold I think. That is not including the obvious arm strength advantage.
4. At best - Allen can show all Darnold showed, and also show it further downfield with more zIp on the ball....and he could make it a tougher choice for the Browns.
5. So, It could come down to how much both impress with their football IQ, how fast they can learn basic parts of sample offenses from other coaches, etc.
6. We'll see after Allen's pro day, how it goes - but could very well be that Darnold will get picked #1. If Allen rocks his pro day too, good luck to the Browns to pick the perfect fit qb first overall.
Well, after watching Darnold's pro day...twice, I think:
1. Darnold rocked it, in the rain. He has quick feet in the pocket to evade the rush and extend plays, throws on the run beautifully, fluidly - keeps his eyes downfield, has a real, real good arm, has worked on his ball security, and throws a beautiful catchable ball, that still doesn't float - still *gets there*.
Seems to be the popular take, but that's never stopped me before...
As I wrote in another reply, I'm trying to get there, to accept Sam as the pick, but I'm having issues... and Sam's Pro Day did not help me. The commentary was so dissociated from the visual it felt like propaganda.
His 5 and 7-step drop footwork was a mess... it was slow, he was hopping into his sets and hitched resets. I suspected this was why he did not throw at the Combine and it was clear to me that his retooled feet were still not ready for display.
The times he looked good were in his 3-step drops from "the gun" and the designed rollouts... where he was doing what he always has done. His rollouts seemed to be the only throws he really "cut loose".
And the rain? No effect if you believed the commentary... I guess my eyes lie. Yes, there were some good, no effect throws, but there were more missing their target that there were before the rains came. And even before the rain when he was dropping from "under center", his throws were off.
I was making progress before the goddamn pro day...
-
Well I just hope they put their heads together and guess correctly. It still seems to me that the consensus is that Rosen is more ready to play in the NFL that the other three. Of course it also seems like a pretty tight race and if he really is reluctant to play for the Browns that might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I almost always have a clear front runner what it comes to quarterback selection and now that we sit on the top of the pile it's not that clear.
WSS
According to NFL.com it's not close at all, where Darnold is rated the best QB prospect for many years.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position
Darnold 7.0
Trubisky 6.3
Wentz 6.5
Winston 6.7
Mariotta 6.2 (Mod edit)
Bortles 6.2
According to NFL.com it's not close at all, where Darnold is rated the best QB prospect for many years.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position
Darnold 7.0 - Trubisky 6.3 - Wentz 6.5 - Winston 6.7 - Bortles 6.2
First, anyone or any group that thinks they can grade to two significant digits is full of it.
Jeremiah just did his ordering of the past three years: Darnold, Wentz, Rosen, Goff, Mayfield, Allen, Watson, Trubs, Kizer & Lynch.
@gumby73 said:
HighSmith played OLB
ummmm... 'Lonzo was a RB for the old Oilers.
For some reason I get a little Jared Goff feeling about Sam.
It's Bortles for me...
Just read another comp by I forget who, but it was Romo. I could see that as well.
-
I don't care what their facial expression is. Unless they do the Weeden face after that underhanded flip.
More than just facial expressions.....
When you watch a real game in real time so you have the feel for the flow and pressure of the game - not just highlight clips or days while they're wearing shorts and a tank top, you can easily see when an athlete checks out a bit, or rises to the challenge regardless of the ultimate outcome.
As I said, I like both dudes but there were more than just a few times over the years of watching Rosen where I was like "Come on dude, be a phucking leader out there"....... I never thought that even once with Darnold.
With the #1 overall pick investment to the most important position in professional team sports, you decide what 'facial expression' you want leading your Browns.
More than just facial expressions.....
When you watch a real game in real time so you have the feel for the flow and pressure of the game - not just highlight clips or days while they're wearing shorts and a tank top, you can easily see when an athlete checks out a bit, or rises to the challenge regardless of the ultimate outcome.
As I said, I like both dudes but there were more than just a few times over the years of watching Rosen where I was like "Come on dude, be a phucking leader out there"....... I never thought that even once with Darnold.
With the #1 overall pick investment to the most important position in professional team sports, you decide what 'facial expression' you want leading your Browns.
Before the college season ended, it was assumed that Darnold and Rosen would go 1 and 2. They could possibly still, especially if giants trade out of that pick.
Whoever the Browns get, let's hope it's THE GUY. Finally
-
I don't see Goff at all when I watch Sam... they're both white and from the soCal area. That's about it.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
