QBs-We'll know 4/26/18
-
Of course I know this. And you really believe that having success in college means nothing in the NFL? Really?
I'll take one of the QB's that has had some success over the guy who falls flat on his face against good competition in college.
I think a QB with more potential in college, can certainly surprise. I can be wrong, but I do think Allen can be they guy. Go back to the USC QBs over the years, they have been superlative in college, but haven't panned out in the NFL. Look at Ryan Leaf's stats coming out of Washington State. He was drafted ahead of Peyton Manning. College stats can be very misleading.
I think a QB with more potential in college, can certainly surprise. I can be wrong, but I do think Allen can be they guy. Go back to the USC QBs over the years, they have been superlative in college, but haven't panned out in the NFL. Look at Ryan Leaf's stats coming out of Washington State. He was drafted ahead of Peyton Manning. College stats can be very misleading.
Ryan Leaf was not drafted ahead of Peyton Manning. Allen is Kizer 2.0 and we all saw how that worked out.
-
I think a QB with more potential in college, can certainly surprise. I can be wrong, but I do think Allen can be they guy. Go back to the USC QBs over the years, they have been superlative in college, but haven't panned out in the NFL. Look at Ryan Leaf's stats coming out of Washington State. He was drafted ahead of Peyton Manning. College stats can be very misleading.
Ryan Leaf was not drafted ahead of Peyton Manning. Allen is Kizer 2.0 and we all saw how that worked out.
-
Of course I know this. And you really believe that having success in college means nothing in the NFL? Really?
I'll take one of the QB's that has had some success over the guy who falls flat on his face against good competition in college.
I think a QB with more potential in college, can certainly surprise. I can be wrong, but I do think Allen can be they guy. Go back to the USC QBs over the years, they have been superlative in college, but haven't panned out in the NFL. Look at Ryan Leaf's stats coming out of Washington State. He was drafted ahead of Peyton Manning. College stats can be very misleading.
I think a QB with more potential in college, can certainly surprise. I can be wrong, but I do think Allen can be they guy. Go back to the USC QBs over the years, they have been superlative in college, but haven't panned out in the NFL. Look at Ryan Leaf's stats coming out of Washington State. He was drafted ahead of Peyton Manning. College stats can be very misleading.
Leafs stats were not good. 53. 8% for his career at wsu. 48% in the NFL.
6'5 235.... He sounds a lot more similar to Allen than Rosen or Darnold.
-
I think a QB with more potential in college, can certainly surprise. I can be wrong, but I do think Allen can be they guy. Go back to the USC QBs over the years, they have been superlative in college, but haven't panned out in the NFL. Look at Ryan Leaf's stats coming out of Washington State. He was drafted ahead of Peyton Manning. College stats can be very misleading.
Leafs stats were not good. 53. 8% for his career at wsu. 48% in the NFL.
6'5 235.... He sounds a lot more similar to Allen than Rosen or Darnold.
-
Could you call Allen something like a newer version of Leaf? How about:
A Leaflet?

Plus Leaf was kind of a fly off the handle nut job, got waaaaay to much money as a signing bonus (back then) a motivation killer.
.......edit add, (how not to evaluate a franchise quarterback)
1998 NFL Draft
Peyton Manning and Leaf were widely considered the two best players available in the 1998 draft,[5] and scouts and analysts debated who should be selected first.[9][10][7] Many favored Leaf's stronger arm and greater potential,[5][11] while others deemed Manning the more mature player and the safer pick.[12] Most observers, however, believed that it would not greatly matter.......
........The San Diego Chargers needed a new quarterback after having scored the fewest touchdowns in the league in the previous season. To obtain the second draft pick, the team traded its third overall pick, a future first round pick, a second round pick, and three-time Pro Bowler Eric Metcalf to the Arizona Cardinals, guaranteeing the Chargers the right to draft whichever of the two quarterbacks Indianapolis did not take first. Manning was drafted first by the Colts and Leaf second by the Chargers,[13] who signed him to a four-year contract worth $31.25 million, including a guaranteed $11.25 million signing bonus, the largest ever paid to a rookie at the time.[15] Leaf said, "I'm looking forward to a 15-year career, a couple of trips to the Super Bowl, and a parade through downtown San Diego."[11] The night after the draft, Leaf flew to Las Vegas, Nevada on the jet of Chargers owner Alex Spanos and partied all night; the following day Leaf yawned during his first news conference......[16]
-
Means nothing in the NFL. If Allen get's to sit behind Taylor (and he should), he can be one of the greats. When was the last time the Browns could say we drafted a QB and let him sit and learn? I mean really sit and learn.
It means nothing? So based on that, we could pick Christian Chapman instead of Allen because he's going to "sit and learn". He's an average QB from the mountain west conference, why aren't we talking about drafting him in round 1?
It means nothing? So based on that, we could pick Christian Chapman instead of Allen because he's going to "sit and learn". He's an average QB from the mountain west conference, why aren't we talking about drafting him in round 1?
I can almost guarantee his stats were better against power 5 teams than Allen's.
-
-
-
-
Wonderlic scores for 2018 QBs
- Josh Allen: 37
- Josh Rosen: 29
- Sam Darnold: 28
- Baker Mayfield: 25
- Lamar Jackson: 13
This then brings us to the question...
Are Wonderlic scores important for NFL players?
The short answer: it depends on who you ask, and what position.
In a column for Sports Illustrated, Edward Krupat, PhD, wrote, that the Wonderlic is "an outdated way of thinking about intelligence when it comes to predicting performance on the football field."
MORE: Optimum Scouting's latest 2018 NFL Mock Draft
An artcile on Medium did some research on quarterback scores and discovered, "There seems to be a sort of smartness threshold, where the best NFL quarterbacks need to be at least this smart to see success. But once a QB passes that threshold (around a score of 25), their additional smartness has little to no effect on success on the field."
Even Middlekauff, who released the 2018 scores, says, "everything matters when it comes to quarterbacks." This is part of why he released some of the scores.
What is the Wonderlic test?
Let's take Wikipedia's definition:
The Wonderlic Personnel Test is a popular group intelligence test used to assess the aptitude of prospective employees for learning and problem-solving in a range of occupations. The Wonderlic is available in 12 different languages and is often used in college, entry level jobs, and team-making efforts. It consists of 50 multiple choice questions to be answered in 12 minutes.
-
Here's a link to the above article...
-
Damn!!! Now if we could just sync up on the Barkley Bandwagon...

Dawg, I'm blown away right now! LOL
What are the odds that two dudes, posting on the same thread- post the exact same information at the same time? I would have rather used that Sheet on the Mega Millions lottery tomorrow... but you are a good enough consolation prize- that was amazing!
-
Damn!!! Now if we could just sync up on the Barkley Bandwagon...

Dawg, I'm blown away right now! LOL
What are the odds that two dudes, posting on the same thread- post the exact same information at the same time? I would have rather used that Sheet on the Mega Millions lottery tomorrow... but you are a good enough consolation prize- that was amazing!
-
Here's a link to the above article...
Here's a link to the above article...
Beat me to it Po- just no to Lamar Jackson- just one more reason.
Damn!!! Now if we could just sync up on the Barkley Bandwagon...

Keep the Barkley stuff in the Barkley thread guy. You keep posting more videos over there- I'm going to start deleting them. You're the only one who cares about it anymore- so just keep it to yourself. Over on the 'Tard- the last comment on Saquon was 2 weeks ago- get the drift? One thread- six pages. Not three threads 50 pages.
-
FYI....the NFL is relying less and less on the Wonderlic. There is another test they are using:
In an attempt to look for qualities that are more closely associated with football, the NFL began to administer the Player Assessment Tool in 2013. This one-hour test, devised by an employment lawyer and a psychology professor, borrows closely from the principles used to select firefighters and attempts to assess motivation, learning styles, and other psychological attributes as well as various mental abilities. While clearly a step in the right direction, this new test in predicting football productivity hasn’t been around long enough to be deemed a success yet.
-
The one big difference between Leaf and Allen is the fact that Leaf was a headcase. He was a mess off the field and the biggest difference between then and now is that teams for the most part are doing their due diligence (yes, JFF was a major mistake but that was Jimmah's call). Allen and Darnold are not those types of guys. That's why I think both can be successful. Mayfield is the most accurate but his personality worries me for the same reasons. I don't think he handles failure well and there are going to be plenty of times where he will fail. Rosen is the modern millenial. I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing. He has refined his craft, beautiful mechanics and enjoys playing football. However, he is smart enough to know that this game is brutal, concussions are real, and he's willing to be a social activist (nothing wrong with that except from the perception of fans). He is the kind of guy who will play 10 years, make tons of money be very successful and then get out early, IMOP.
-
Rosen is the prettiest passer - his college coach suggested that Darnold would be a better 'fit' for our team and that Rosen would 'fit' better on one of the New York teams.
Darnold is the ugliest passer - his coach agrees that he would be a good fit for Cleveland.
Allen 'could' be the next Derick Anderson - but he also could be the next John Elway.
For all of the talking expert heads saying that you cannot compare Mayfield to Manziel - I can picture that little guy scurrying around behind our OL and running like he was running from the cops after planting a flag and grabbing his junk.
-
The one big difference between Leaf and Allen is the fact that Leaf was a headcase. He was a mess off the field and the biggest difference between then and now is that teams for the most part are doing their due diligence (yes, JFF was a major mistake but that was Jimmah's call). Allen and Darnold are not those types of guys. That's why I think both can be successful. Mayfield is the most accurate but his personality worries me for the same reasons. I don't think he handles failure well and there are going to be plenty of times where he will fail. Rosen is the modern millenial. I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing. He has refined his craft, beautiful mechanics and enjoys playing football. However, he is smart enough to know that this game is brutal, concussions are real, and he's willing to be a social activist (nothing wrong with that except from the perception of fans). He is the kind of guy who will play 10 years, make tons of money be very successful and then get out early, IMOP.
The one big difference between Leaf and Allen is the fact that Leaf was a headcase. He was a mess off the field and the biggest difference between then and now is that teams for the most part are doing their due diligence (yes, JFF was a major mistake but that was Jimmah's call). Allen and Darnold are not those types of guys. That's why I think both can be successful. Mayfield is the most accurate but his personality worries me for the same reasons. I don't think he handles failure well and there are going to be plenty of times where he will fail. Rosen is the modern millenial. I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing. He has refined his craft, beautiful mechanics and enjoys playing football. However, he is smart enough to know that this game is brutal, concussions are real, and he's willing to be a social activist (nothing wrong with that except from the perception of fans). He is the kind of guy who will play 10 years, make tons of money be very successful and then get out early, IMOP.
If the Browns had any qb who lasted 10 years, the fans would Sheet themselves in excitement
-
Hue wants Lamar "Next to Shake the Earth" Jackson, or Baker "Pied Piper" Mayfield. Dorsey likes Allen and D'Arnold. It's simple. Who jimmy likes, they take.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login