Skip to content

What Passes for Professional (Sports)writing Today...

The Browns Board
11 7 367 1
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #2

    Audrey Ash, the Big Aud, my high school English teacher would also be appalled. She stood about 4 foot nine with a thick New Jersey accent. And the only word to use would be acerbic if you made a mistake.

    We were calling her "The Big Aud" long before it became fashionable to call sports figures "The Big....this or that"   Unit, Hurt etc. etc.  She may not have been 4'9....but if she stood 5 feet tall I would be surprised.  (since deceased....this would have been in like 1966-67)

  • Audrey Ash, the Big Aud, my high school English teacher would also be appalled. She stood about 4 foot nine with a thick New Jersey accent. And the only word to use would be acerbic if you made a mistake.

    We were calling her "The Big Aud" long before it became fashionable to call sports figures "The Big....this or that"   Unit, Hurt etc. etc.  She may not have been 4'9....but if she stood 5 feet tall I would be surprised.  (since deceased....this would have been in like 1966-67)

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #3

    @the-gipper said:

    Audrey Ash, the big Aud, my high school English teacher would also be a palled.

    And my personal English teacher with whom I live would be appalled if I let my cell phone spell it, "a palled".😆

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
    #4

    I still don't understand why women are allowed to cover Men's sports.. Be in the lockeroom , etc. But they don't allow males in the female lockeroom.. Yet.. They bitch about equality... as far as real journalism today... I really don't see any.. It looks more to me like a  bad critic's movie review with bad sound bites.. Pluto remains #1 for me as far as the Greater Cleveland area goes... But Hal Lebowits was by far my absolute fave to read on Sunday's in the Willoughby News Herald.

    Edit: I have to give mention to the former Cav's beat writer for the NH, Joe Menzer.. Straight to the point analysis , Intelligently written and succint...

  • LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Maybe the period button is broke on her keyboard.

  • I still don't understand why women are allowed to cover Men's sports.. Be in the lockeroom , etc. But they don't allow males in the female lockeroom.. Yet.. They bitch about equality... as far as real journalism today... I really don't see any.. It looks more to me like a  bad critic's movie review with bad sound bites.. Pluto remains #1 for me as far as the Greater Cleveland area goes... But Hal Lebowits was by far my absolute fave to read on Sunday's in the Willoughby News Herald.

    Edit: I have to give mention to the former Cav's beat writer for the NH, Joe Menzer.. Straight to the point analysis , Intelligently written and succint...

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @nickers said:

    I still don't understand why women are allowed to cover Men's sports.. Be in the lockeroom , etc. But they don't allow males in the female lockeroom.. Yet.. They bitch about equality... as far as real journalism today... I really don't see any.. It looks more to me like a  bad critic's movie review with bad sound bites.. Pluto remains #1 for me as far as the Greater Cleveland area goes... But Hal Lebowits was by far my absolute fave to read on Sunday's in the Willoughby News Herald.

    Edit: I have to give mention to the former Cav's beat writer for the NH, Joe Menzer.. Straight to the point analysis , Intelligently written and succint...

    Agreed on Hal, MKC is a hack by comparison...  

    Hey, Pluto got his start at my Alma Mater HS Benedictine. They train you well there. BTW, Benedictine's famoustest Alumnus is none other than Chuck Noll.   I'll be following where Jerome Baker lands during the draft- another one of our alums..  🙂  

  • @the-gipper said:

    Audrey Ash, the big Aud, my high school English teacher would also be a palled.

    And my personal English teacher with whom I live would be appalled if I let my cell phone spell it, "a palled".😆

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @texasag1969 said:

    And my personal English teacher with whom I live would be appalled if I let my cell phone spell it, "a palled".😆

    Voice activated Foul up

  • @the-gipper said:

    Audrey Ash, the big Aud, my high school English teacher would also be a palled.

    And my personal English teacher with whom I live would be appalled if I let my cell phone spell it, "a palled".😆

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @texasag1969 said:

    And my personal English teacher with whom I live would be appalled if I let my cell phone spell it, "a palled".😆

    Fixed it.

  • I actually talked to a high-level NFL evaluator from another team who's watched a lot of film on the quarterbacks and met with them in person who told me it would come down to Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield for him if he had the No. 1 overall pick.

    One glance at this sentence structure and Miss Wagy, my buxom, Jr. High School, English teacher, would have needed CPR.

    While I would have given her my "all", there's no way that chest would have compressed.

    And, yes... the quoted line is "actually" from MKC. http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/04/with_all_the_talk_of_sam_darno.html

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @tour2ma said:

    One glance at this sentence structure and Miss Wagy, my buxom, Jr. High School, English teacher, would have needed CPR.

    While I would have given her my "all", there's no way that chest would have compressed.

    And, yes... the quoted line is "actually" from MKC. http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/04/with_all_the_talk_of_sam_darno.html

    Miss Wagy, I'll see If I can find a picture of her.  

  • @tour2ma said:

    One glance at this sentence structure and Miss Wagy, my buxom, Jr. High School, English teacher, would have needed CPR.

    While I would have given her my "all", there's no way that chest would have compressed.

    And, yes... the quoted line is "actually" from MKC. http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/04/with_all_the_talk_of_sam_darno.html

    Miss Wagy, I'll see If I can find a picture of her.  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Miss Wagy, I'll see If I can find a picture of her.  

    Tour and his teacher.   (he is the one standing next to the car...😆

    8228199043_6d678751bb_b.jpg

  • @tour2ma said:

    One glance at this sentence structure and Miss Wagy, my buxom, Jr. High School, English teacher, would have needed CPR.

    While I would have given her my "all", there's no way that chest would have compressed.

    And, yes... the quoted line is "actually" from MKC. http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/04/with_all_the_talk_of_sam_darno.html

    Miss Wagy, I'll see If I can find a picture of her.  

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #11

    I said "buxom".

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Miss Wagy, I'll see If I can find a picture of her.  

    I remember a head shot in a yearbook.