Baker Mayfield Thread
-
So baker might last two years maybe and the browns are going to pick him over darnold who will be around for twenty years
-
Fair enough... and not to reignite things, but...
- I fail to see the rationale for drawing a line at the Defenses once team strength is brought into the QB evaluation equation.
If scouts are looking at tape of UCLA's defense to evaluate Josh Rosen - I sincerely hope they're not our's. I've never read or heard any draft analyst or scout say UCLA's defense is the concern about Rosen so I don't see why it's brought up as one all the time. For example, he got more credit than Darnold did in their 2017 head to head when UCLA lost to USC 28-23.
Lashley led UCLA with 10 rec for 204 yds and 3 TDs on a day Rosen went 32 of 52 for 421 yards for 3 TDs and 1 INT. In comparison, S. Mitchell Jr led USC with 4 rec 56 yards on a night Darnold went 17 of 28 for 264 yards and 1 INT. Most viewers concluded Rosen outplayed Darnold with no mention of UCLA's defense killing Rosen's draft stock that night. I've seen a lot of people pointing out the difference in competitive value between Rosen and Allen in the games they lost was UCLA's offense continued to amass a lot of yardage and score a lot of points via their passing games.
If anything, a bad defense can keep a prolific passer in a bunch of shoot-outs he wants on center stage. For example, in 2005 Vandy's defense wasn't good enough to stop SEC opponents - so Cutler got into a bunch shootouts that earned him the SEC Offensive Player of the Year honors. They were never Bowl eligible throughout his tenure at Vandy. That said, he's the only Vandy QB I've seen in drafted as high as #11 overall.
In the end, the biggest hurdle Rosen is facing doesn't have anything to do with UCLA's defense. Fair or not, it will be his concussion inventory and in some instances his attitude (which I like by the way).
If scouts are looking at tape of UCLA's defense to evaluate Josh Rosen - I sincerely hope they're not our's. I've never read or heard any draft analyst or scout say UCLA's defense is the concern about Rosen so I don't see why it's brought up as one all the time. For example, he got more credit than Darnold did in their 2017 head to head when UCLA lost to USC 28-23.
If anything, a bad defense can keep a prolific passer in a bunch of shoot-outs he wants on center stage.
First, c'mon... you don't have to spend time on the tape looking at a given D to figure out why they give up tons of points, just note the QBs role, if any, in contributing to their poor showing. And that can be noted from the study of the QB. A poor D simply puts added pressure on a QB before he ever steps onto the field. So again I say that once you bring in considerations other than the QB, you cannot ignore the D.
Agree that bad D can force a QB into hero role... but it also sets him up to be the "goat"... not to be confused with the G.O.A.T.
-
Austin Powers baby. Allen's racist tweets will assure a fractured locker room wherever he ends up. Also Allen hates Lebron while BM loves the cavs now apparently.
Austin Powers baby. Allen's racist tweets will assure a fractured locker room wherever he ends up. Also Allen hates Lebron while BM loves the cavs now apparently.
Well if that's the main concern of our front office when it comes to selecting a quarterback and potential face of the team for the next 15 years with the number one pick in the draft I'm more worried about our future that I was with any GM in recent history.
?
WSS
-
Jeremiah mock draft 4.0: Browns pick Baker Mayfield No. 1
https://search.app.goo.gl/4ex8U
Shared from my Google feed
So Mel Kiper and now him. How accurate are these guys been over the years?
WSS
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/5/3/15517982/mock-draft-nfl-2017-results
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/5/3/15517982/mock-draft-nfl-2017-results
That's pretty neat, thanks for sharing. I could easily see a similar situation with the giants this year if they aren't in love with Barkley for someone like the Bills or the Broncos assuming we're going Mayfield.
-
Browns continue to keep the decision on their No. 1 pick a secret, but there is a mounting belief from HCs and GMs around the league that Cleveland will take Baker Mayfield.
Smokescreen?

Smokescreen?

From Who ? that dumb **MASK** mkc ?
-
I have a question then if we take anyone other than Darnold. Then the Giants likely take him, Jets take a QB and we have a choice to make.
Why have we lined up Jim Brown to announce our pick starting @ #33 if we are then taking Barkley @ #4?
If Barkley is there for us at #4 and Jim Brown walks out.....................................
Why have we lined up Jim Brown to announce our pick starting @ #33 if we are then taking Barkley @ #4?
Because the Commish does the 1st Round announcements and Jim Brown can still walk?
im no judge of talent... but I know people and this mayfield kid is a headcase no question.
And this is where I've landed... again...
After working hard to get comfortable with him over the past few weeks, I watched some of his recent interviews yesterday and was appalled.
Also got comfortable with Darnold yesterday...
My timing sucks.
Rosen or Bust!
-
Why have we lined up Jim Brown to announce our pick starting @ #33 if we are then taking Barkley @ #4?
Because the Commish does the 1st Round announcements and Jim Brown can still walk?
im no judge of talent... but I know people and this mayfield kid is a headcase no question.
And this is where I've landed... again...
After working hard to get comfortable with him over the past few weeks, I watched some of his recent interviews yesterday and was appalled.
Also got comfortable with Darnold yesterday...
My timing sucks.
Rosen or Bust!
-
Smokescreen?

Groovy, psychedelic cauliflower!!!!
Groovy, psychedelic cauliflower!!!!
My thought as well...
Jeremiah mock draft 4.0: Browns pick Baker Mayfield No. 1
https://search.app.goo.gl/4ex8U
Shared from my Google feed
So Mel Kiper and now him. How accurate are these guys been over the years?
So yesterday Hue saw our Board and today everyone is jumping to Mayfield. Coincidence?
-
Uh oh, why's that may I ask Tour?
Absolutely zero humility... absolutely zero genuineness.
Plenty of "smug"...
-
Uh oh, why's that may I ask Tour?
Absolutely zero humility... absolutely zero genuineness.
Plenty of "smug"...
-
Uh oh, why's that may I ask Tour?
Absolutely zero humility... absolutely zero genuineness.
Plenty of "smug"...
-
Rex Ryan and Bill Polian just ripped Mayfield at #1 apart...
Rex: "He's not Drew Brees." "The NFL is a size-speed league and Mayfield has neither."
Bill: "He's not Riussell Wilson"
-
If scouts are looking at tape of UCLA's defense to evaluate Josh Rosen - I sincerely hope they're not our's. I've never read or heard any draft analyst or scout say UCLA's defense is the concern about Rosen so I don't see why it's brought up as one all the time. For example, he got more credit than Darnold did in their 2017 head to head when UCLA lost to USC 28-23.
If anything, a bad defense can keep a prolific passer in a bunch of shoot-outs he wants on center stage.
First, c'mon... you don't have to spend time on the tape looking at a given D to figure out why they give up tons of points, just note the QBs role, if any, in contributing to their poor showing. And that can be noted from the study of the QB. A poor D simply puts added pressure on a QB before he ever steps onto the field. So again I say that once you bring in considerations other than the QB, you cannot ignore the D.
Agree that bad D can force a QB into hero role... but it also sets him up to be the "goat"... not to be confused with the G.O.A.T.
First, c'mon... you don't have to spend time on the tape looking at a given D to figure out why they give up tons of points, just note the QBs role, if any, in contributing to their poor showing. And that can be noted from the study of the QB. A poor D simply puts added pressure on a QB before he ever steps onto the field. So again I say that once you bring in considerations other than the QB, you cannot ignore the D.
Agree that bad D can force a QB into hero role... but it also sets him up to be the "goat"... not to be confused with the G.O.A.T.
Not sure if this makes sense as a reply.
But the QB for sure can lead to a really shitty defense. The Browns offense for years is a perfect example... If a QB and the offense are constantly going 3 and out, and the defense never gets any rest, this is of course going to lead to a shitty defense on a lot of levels.
We get the ball first and our O goes 3 and out. Defense steps up and does a good job and maybe they get them out on the 2nd set of downs.. We are up on O and then 3 and out. Again our D steps up and stops them before they get into FG range... Our O is pinned back and goes 3 and out. Punt leaves our D already on our side of the field.. They bend don't break and give up a FG..
By the 4th quarter the D is exhausted and we are down by 21. They are forced to blitz blitz ... And then we get smoked with big downfield throws and suddenly we lost 35 to 3 or if we are lucky 35 to 10 in junk time...
A bad QB/Offense is the chicken before the egg.
-
Great interview with The Call... I really liked his responses and he didn't get baited into saying stupid things.. Look like he was confident without being a finger. Just 1 interview..
-
I'm thinking this is a big smoke screen to see if someone wants to move up. There is no way this front office is dumb enough to draft Baker Mayfield #1.....

-
I'm thinking this is a big smoke screen to see if someone wants to move up. There is no way this front office is dumb enough to draft Baker Mayfield #1.....

I'm thinking this is a big smoke screen to see if someone wants to move up. There is no way this front office is dumb enough to draft Baker Mayfield #1.....

I can't imagine that it would be worthwhile as a smoke screen. If Mayfield were their guy, why in the world would they trade him for draft picks? If he's not there guy then whoever was going to trade up to number one could probably get a better deal on number 2.
WSS
-
Don't want Manziel light.
-
Come to see the old fogeys opinions.
Was not disappointed.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
