Baker Mayfield Thread
-
I don't get the PO G hostility he was pimping the guy that most thought was the best player in the draft.
A good case for taking him. But you must have a real quarterback...
WSS
It was because he was so obsequious about it. servile, ingratiating, sycophantic, fawning, unctuous, oily, oleaginous, groveling, cringing,subservient, submissive, slavish;
You know....the way your are toward short women with big tits.
-
If Mayfield was 2 or 3 inches taller the so called experts would of had him #1 QB ...... I am prepared to support him give him a chance and judge him in 3 years not several hours after the draft before he has even pulled on a Browns jersey .....
We have won the drafts the experts have said for a few years .....the so called experts need to read this
-
Baker was the "analytics" pick. . .
And yet, he was picked by a "football guy".
So when a guy checks all the boxes for an "analytics guy" and checks all the boxes for a "football guy", what do you call him?
And yet, he was picked by a "football guy".
So when a guy checks all the boxes for an "analytics guy" and checks all the boxes for a "football guy", what do you call him?
The #1 pick in the draft?
-
-
I will learn how to embed tweets like that one day
-
OK who is buying one

-
Tony Grossi is spitting his dummy out again, makes the pick worth it whatever happens on the field in future
-
-
I’ve watched these now. What I’ve mainly grasped is his girlfriend is very pretty.
And that he definitely likes being the centre of attention
-
Watching the Hue & Dorsey presser sealed it for me. These guys are so friggin clueless. I watched all but 2 OU games with Baker at QB and anyone who did would know two really important things. First Lincoln Riley’s offense is friggin scary. Second OU’s offensive line was one of the tops in the country and their running attack was equally as good. They hung 45 on a good Georgia defense in the playoff. Baker was a winner because he played at OU for a great coach and with extremely talented players. Of all the QB candidates Baker was on the best offense by far so that’s why you justify the pick. WTF
-
So as a person who only listened to the bad about mayfield with manzeil flashbacks I decided to do some more research about mayfield...
we might just be ok... kid has some grit.
Im no longer as depressed
So as a person who only listened to the bad about mayfield with manzeil flashbacks I decided to do some more research about mayfield...
we might just be ok... kid has some grit.
Im no longer as depressed
Hopefully, this translates to the NFL.... What sold me on Baker is he's crazy accurate- 70 completion%. I don't what to hear the "yeah, but his receivers were wide open" BS. He was hitting those wide open guys in stride, with zero adjustment to his passes. How many times last year did we see Kizer throw passes behind guys , over their heads or in the dirt? His completion% would have been a lot worse if guys weren't making circus catches the times his passers were 1\2 on target.
* 33-6 in 39 starts
* Second in D-I history in passer efficiency rating (175.4)
* Big 12 all-time record in yards per attempt (9.8),
* 131:30 TD-to-INT ratio, and 21 rushing scores.
* Led nation in QB rating under pressure in 2015 (117.4), 2016 (119.2), and 2017 (111.6). -
So as a person who only listened to the bad about mayfield with manzeil flashbacks I decided to do some more research about mayfield...
we might just be ok... kid has some grit.
Im no longer as depressed
Hopefully, this translates to the NFL.... What sold me on Baker is he's crazy accurate- 70 completion%. I don't what to hear the "yeah, but his receivers were wide open" BS. He was hitting those wide open guys in stride, with zero adjustment to his passes. How many times last year did we see Kizer throw passes behind guys , over their heads or in the dirt? His completion% would have been a lot worse if guys weren't making circus catches the times his passers were 1\2 on target.
* 33-6 in 39 starts
* Second in D-I history in passer efficiency rating (175.4)
* Big 12 all-time record in yards per attempt (9.8),
* 131:30 TD-to-INT ratio, and 21 rushing scores.
* Led nation in QB rating under pressure in 2015 (117.4), 2016 (119.2), and 2017 (111.6).Hopefully, this translates to the NFL.... What sold me on Baker is he's crazy accurate- 70 completion%. I don't what to hear the "yeah, but his receivers were wide open" BS. He was hitting those wide open guys in stride, with zero adjustment to his passes. How many times last year did we see Kizer throw passes behind guys , over their heads or in the dirt? His completion% would have been a lot worse if guys weren't making circus catches the times his passers were 1\2 on target.
* 33-6 in 39 starts
* Second in D-I history in passer efficiency rating (175.4)
* Big 12 all-time record in yards per attempt (9.8),
* 131:30 TD-to-INT ratio, and 21 rushing scores.
* Led nation in QB rating under pressure in 2015 (117.4), 2016 (119.2), and 2017 (111.6).He's going to be fantastic.
-
So as a person who only listened to the bad about mayfield with manzeil flashbacks I decided to do some more research about mayfield...
we might just be ok... kid has some grit.
Im no longer as depressed
Hopefully, this translates to the NFL.... What sold me on Baker is he's crazy accurate- 70 completion%. I don't what to hear the "yeah, but his receivers were wide open" BS. He was hitting those wide open guys in stride, with zero adjustment to his passes. How many times last year did we see Kizer throw passes behind guys , over their heads or in the dirt? His completion% would have been a lot worse if guys weren't making circus catches the times his passers were 1\2 on target.
* 33-6 in 39 starts
* Second in D-I history in passer efficiency rating (175.4)
* Big 12 all-time record in yards per attempt (9.8),
* 131:30 TD-to-INT ratio, and 21 rushing scores.
* Led nation in QB rating under pressure in 2015 (117.4), 2016 (119.2), and 2017 (111.6).Hopefully, this translates to the NFL.... What sold me on Baker is he's crazy accurate- 70 completion%. I don't what to hear the "yeah, but his receivers were wide open" BS. He was hitting those wide open guys in stride, with zero adjustment to his passes. How many times last year did we see Kizer throw passes behind guys , over their heads or in the dirt? His completion% would have been a lot worse if guys weren't making circus catches the times his passers were 1\2 on target.
* 33-6 in 39 starts
* Second in D-I history in passer efficiency rating (175.4)
* Big 12 all-time record in yards per attempt (9.8),
* 131:30 TD-to-INT ratio, and 21 rushing scores.
* Led nation in QB rating under pressure in 2015 (117.4), 2016 (119.2), and 2017 (111.6).I’m sorry but you’ve got to hear it. Against Kansas, Texas Tech, WVU, OK St, TCU, Baylor he basically stood back in the pocket and waited for guys to get open. He rarely put in into windows or made anticipated throws. To top it all off the team rushed for 220 a game. He was playing a video game. You want to truly evaluate Baker look at the six losses.
-
I don't get the Johnny Football comparisons at all. I've watched his film and he is a smart QB. Obviously he needs work, just like any College QB needs to make it in the NFL and that is where the comparisons end.
I knew nothing about JFF before we drafted him other than he won the Heisman and the You tubes I watched of him. I had no idea of the lack of work ethic this kid had. I was high on Johnny back then because I thought he loved the game. Turns out he loved the lime light a whole lot more and that football was a means to an end.
What I see in Mayfield is a passionate person, who works hard to get what he wants. Everyone says that his work ethic is impeccable. he will stay late and watch film and do the hard work that needs to be done.
One note of concern and one that was raised above. He was arrested for showing VERY bad judgement.. And because he is a white "smart" quarterback, it is pushed under the rug. I only read about that 2 days ago and was very surprised... As noted above, if he were black, he would have a scarlet letter on him and wouldn't have been touched until the 6th round...
I hope I am right about this kid.. We really need a solution at QB and if this kid is smart he will understand he has a golden opportunity to learn under a good veteran NFL QB. If he is smart and works hard, he has the potential to be loved and adored by millions of Browns fans the world over..
I think allot of these kids coming into the league do no understand that Browns fans will canonize any QB that can get us to the playoffs a few times. I means they don't even have to win a Superbowl or even get to one and we will be celebrating them for decades to come(Bernie??)..
I don't get the Johnny Football comparisons at all. I've watched his film and he is a smart QB. Obviously he needs work, just like any College QB needs to make it in the NFL and that is where the comparisons end.
I think Manziel is a convenient starting place, but once you really look it becomes obvious quickly that Mayfield played much more within OU's system than JFF ever did at TAMU.
Zombo said:
Yep, definitely a need pick. For some reason, passing on Chubb makes me think they really like Ogbah.
Ward gives the D a shutdown corner that really needed a shutdown corner.
Bingo... you can't shutdown corner by committee. You can DE by committee... and there is another route to generating a pass rush opposite MG.
-
Watching the Hue & Dorsey presser sealed it for me. These guys are so friggin clueless. I watched all but 2 OU games with Baker at QB and anyone who did would know two really important things. First Lincoln Riley’s offense is friggin scary. Second OU’s offensive line was one of the tops in the country and their running attack was equally as good. They hung 45 on a good Georgia defense in the playoff. Baker was a winner because he played at OU for a great coach and with extremely talented players. Of all the QB candidates Baker was on the best offense by far so that’s why you justify the pick. WTF
Watching the Hue & Dorsey presser sealed it for me. These guys are so friggin clueless. I watched all but 2 OU games with Baker at QB and anyone who did would know two really important things. First Lincoln Riley’s offense is friggin scary. Second OU’s offensive line was one of the tops in the country and their running attack was equally as good. They hung 45 on a good Georgia defense in the playoff. Baker was a winner because he played at OU for a great coach and with extremely talented players. Of all the QB candidates Baker was on the best offense by far so that’s why you justify the pick. WTF
I appreciate this viewpoint. Good points l can wrap my head around. I saw it too. The offense was a well oiled machine and the scheme worked great.
However, point two is a big butt mauling O line. Again, l agree, but Baker’s heighth was a knock against him and he seemed to perform rather well with that big butt mauling O line. Silver lining at least.
Point 1, agree again. Well oiled machine, as previously mentioned. I really tried to focus on the plays where shìt went awry to see how Mayfield handled it. Small sample size due to the aforementioned well oiled machine, but l still think by and large he made right decisions at right times when it did happen.
-
The Manziel comparisons aren't lazy in the fact that you have two undersized QB's that come from conferences that place their best athletes on one side of the ball, struggle with mechanics and reads in and while climbing the pocket, have trouble reading thus exploiting the middle of the field and play in offenses that mask what they're not good at - which just so happens to be things that make NFL QB's elite...
I'll cheer for him, I'll pull for him, I pray to Christ that Baker even proves me wrong. I fully expect him to have some of those flashy plays and Heisman moments. But he'll fail to be consistent, methodical and precise. It is because of that I'm not on board with this pick at all.
God bless the rest of you for being able to stomach it.
Show me what you mean by “trouble exploiting the middle of the field” comment. I actually see that as a strength for Mayfield.
Also, did you just infer that the SEC is similar to the Big 12 in that they place their best athletes on offense? Some regard the SEC as a powerhouse conference.
Show me what you mean by “trouble exploiting the middle of the field” comment. I actually see that as a strength for Mayfield.
Also, did you just infer that the SEC is similar to the Big 12 in that they place their best athletes on offense? Some regard the SEC as a powerhouse conference.
In order
1st bold - My half game breakdown of Bedlam should do. One of the few straight drops with Baker resulting in seeing a QB unable to move a zone defender with his eyes and unable to anticipate windows over the middle when the offense wasn't built to specifically exploit it as the primary read for him. That not enough? Go find the footage of missed check downs from the Rose Bowl. Straight gimmies from the Georgia defense that Baker flat out didn't see because he started dropping his eyes when he even thinks about sliding in the pocket.
2nd bold - apologies. I was very hungover and at work. For some reason I still really don't consider A&M as an SEC team. Manziel put up video game numbers against inferior competition and when faced vs top 50 defenses, well, go check his win loss record and his stats there. Baker had a pretty similar issue up until this year. Getting smoked by top 20 defenses in Houston and tOSU the previous season.
Also, no, the SEC believes in defense and that's where the hungover part comes in.
Circling back around to my point, I find that unless the structure of the offense specifically designs the primary midfield, it's not his strong suit. Going back to that Bedlam breakdown I remember him not seeing a few wide open drags vs the clear out as well. I'm still at work but I'll dig into the tape after the draft. I'll give all my thoughts on whom we select by the end of May then I'll be a ghost around here until I check in at training camp a couple times where I'll do my yearly thread.
-
I don't get the Johnny Football comparisons at all. I've watched his film and he is a smart QB. Obviously he needs work, just like any College QB needs to make it in the NFL and that is where the comparisons end.
I think Manziel is a convenient starting place, but once you really look it becomes obvious quickly that Mayfield played much more within OU's system than JFF ever did at TAMU.
Zombo said:
Yep, definitely a need pick. For some reason, passing on Chubb makes me think they really like Ogbah.
Ward gives the D a shutdown corner that really needed a shutdown corner.
Bingo... you can't shutdown corner by committee. You can DE by committee... and there is another route to generating a pass rush opposite MG.
I think Manziel is a convenient starting place, but once you really look it becomes obvious quickly that Mayfield played much more within OU's system than JFF ever did at TAMU.
Bingo... you can't shutdown corner by committee. You can DE by committee... and there is another route to generating a pass rush opposite MG.
Tour in all sincerity off of the top of your head please list the guys who have been “shutdown” corners each of the past 5 years. And by that I mean one guy being a shutdown corner each year not this guy was in 2015 but not in 2017. I’m also curious as to the teams they played for. So for example
Josh Norman Carolina, Washington
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

