Baker Mayfield Thread
-
I think Manziel is a convenient starting place, but once you really look it becomes obvious quickly that Mayfield played much more within OU's system than JFF ever did at TAMU.
Bingo... you can't shutdown corner by committee. You can DE by committee... and there is another route to generating a pass rush opposite MG.
Tour in all sincerity off of the top of your head please list the guys who have been “shutdown” corners each of the past 5 years. And by that I mean one guy being a shutdown corner each year not this guy was in 2015 but not in 2017. I’m also curious as to the teams they played for. So for example
Josh Norman Carolina, Washington
Tour in all sincerity off of the top of your head please list the guys who have been “shutdown” corners each of the past 5 years. And by that I mean one guy being a shutdown corner each year not this guy was in 2015 but not in 2017. I’m also curious as to the teams they played for. So for example
Josh Norman Carolina, Washington
Just to be clear, you want a list of who has been shutdown corners every year for the past 5?
Patrick Peterson
Sherm when he was healthy
Chris Harris
with cases to be made for Talib & Rhodes.
-
Show me what you mean by “trouble exploiting the middle of the field” comment. I actually see that as a strength for Mayfield.
Also, did you just infer that the SEC is similar to the Big 12 in that they place their best athletes on offense? Some regard the SEC as a powerhouse conference.
In order
1st bold - My half game breakdown of Bedlam should do. One of the few straight drops with Baker resulting in seeing a QB unable to move a zone defender with his eyes and unable to anticipate windows over the middle when the offense wasn't built to specifically exploit it as the primary read for him. That not enough? Go find the footage of missed check downs from the Rose Bowl. Straight gimmies from the Georgia defense that Baker flat out didn't see because he started dropping his eyes when he even thinks about sliding in the pocket.
2nd bold - apologies. I was very hungover and at work. For some reason I still really don't consider A&M as an SEC team. Manziel put up video game numbers against inferior competition and when faced vs top 50 defenses, well, go check his win loss record and his stats there. Baker had a pretty similar issue up until this year. Getting smoked by top 20 defenses in Houston and tOSU the previous season.
Also, no, the SEC believes in defense and that's where the hungover part comes in.
Circling back around to my point, I find that unless the structure of the offense specifically designs the primary midfield, it's not his strong suit. Going back to that Bedlam breakdown I remember him not seeing a few wide open drags vs the clear out as well. I'm still at work but I'll dig into the tape after the draft. I'll give all my thoughts on whom we select by the end of May then I'll be a ghost around here until I check in at training camp a couple times where I'll do my yearly thread.
In order
1st bold - My half game breakdown of Bedlam should do. One of the few straight drops with Baker resulting in seeing a QB unable to move a zone defender with his eyes and unable to anticipate windows over the middle when the offense wasn't built to specifically exploit it as the primary read for him. That not enough? Go find the footage of missed check downs from the Rose Bowl. Straight gimmies from the Georgia defense that Baker flat out didn't see because he started dropping his eyes when he even thinks about sliding in the pocket.
2nd bold - apologies. I was very hungover and at work. For some reason I still really don't consider A&M as an SEC team. Manziel put up video game numbers against inferior competition and when faced vs top 50 defenses, well, go check his win loss record and his stats there. Baker had a pretty similar issue up until this year. Getting smoked by top 20 defenses in Houston and tOSU the previous season.
Also, no, the SEC believes in defense and that's where the hungover part comes in.
Circling back around to my point, I find that unless the structure of the offense specifically designs the primary midfield, it's not his strong suit. Going back to that Bedlam breakdown I remember him not seeing a few wide open drags vs the clear out as well. I'm still at work but I'll dig into the tape after the draft. I'll give all my thoughts on whom we select by the end of May then I'll be a ghost around here until I check in at training camp a couple times where I'll do my yearly thread.
Good, thank you for the response. Let me research and try to see what you see. We’ll talk later.
-
In order
1st bold - My half game breakdown of Bedlam should do. One of the few straight drops with Baker resulting in seeing a QB unable to move a zone defender with his eyes and unable to anticipate windows over the middle when the offense wasn't built to specifically exploit it as the primary read for him. That not enough? Go find the footage of missed check downs from the Rose Bowl. Straight gimmies from the Georgia defense that Baker flat out didn't see because he started dropping his eyes when he even thinks about sliding in the pocket.
2nd bold - apologies. I was very hungover and at work. For some reason I still really don't consider A&M as an SEC team. Manziel put up video game numbers against inferior competition and when faced vs top 50 defenses, well, go check his win loss record and his stats there. Baker had a pretty similar issue up until this year. Getting smoked by top 20 defenses in Houston and tOSU the previous season.
Also, no, the SEC believes in defense and that's where the hungover part comes in.
Circling back around to my point, I find that unless the structure of the offense specifically designs the primary midfield, it's not his strong suit. Going back to that Bedlam breakdown I remember him not seeing a few wide open drags vs the clear out as well. I'm still at work but I'll dig into the tape after the draft. I'll give all my thoughts on whom we select by the end of May then I'll be a ghost around here until I check in at training camp a couple times where I'll do my yearly thread.
Good, thank you for the response. Let me research and try to see what you see. We’ll talk later.
Good, thank you for the response. Let me research and try to see what you see. We’ll talk later.
The "who have you watched thread" has my full half breakdown of Mayfield. Like I said there, Lincoln Riley is his best friend.
-
I don't get the Johnny Football comparisons at all. I've watched his film and he is a smart QB. Obviously he needs work, just like any College QB needs to make it in the NFL and that is where the comparisons end.
I think Manziel is a convenient starting place, but once you really look it becomes obvious quickly that Mayfield played much more within OU's system than JFF ever did at TAMU.
Zombo said:
Yep, definitely a need pick. For some reason, passing on Chubb makes me think they really like Ogbah.
Ward gives the D a shutdown corner that really needed a shutdown corner.
Bingo... you can't shutdown corner by committee. You can DE by committee... and there is another route to generating a pass rush opposite MG.
-
For instance, Chubb was the BPA in many eyes but we went Ward because it was such a drastic need. People might be upset, but he's the best corner and we need to stop the freaking pass.
This IS what Dorsey did: Drafted for need. I am sure most would say you don't draft for need if you have 1 and 4......but that is what the Browns did.
QB and CB were the Browns two biggest weaknesses.
Now, those weaknesses have been addressed with the highest possible assets. Now they can fill in lesser needs in round 2. And hopefully do well.
This IS what Dorsey did: Drafted for need. I am sure most would say you don't draft for need if you have 1 and 4......but that is what the Browns did.
QB and CB were the Browns two biggest weaknesses.
Now, those weaknesses have been addressed with the highest possible assets. Now they can fill in lesser needs in round 2. And hopefully do well.
I don't think ward is a bad pick, I just think Chubb is a much better one. You have to balance the BPA with need, hopefully they mesh. However, when a clearly better player is staring you in the face you should take him over the need(with a few exceptions). Chubb would help the pass defense and there are good corners available today. In fact the gab between ward and some of the guys still on the board is smaller than the gap between Chubb and the DEs left on the board. However, if Ward, does turn into a shutdown CB not many will care we drafted him over Chubb.
-
Watching the Hue & Dorsey presser sealed it for me. These guys are so friggin clueless. I watched all but 2 OU games with Baker at QB and anyone who did would know two really important things. First Lincoln Riley’s offense is friggin scary. Second OU’s offensive line was one of the tops in the country and their running attack was equally as good. They hung 45 on a good Georgia defense in the playoff. Baker was a winner because he played at OU for a great coach and with extremely talented players. Of all the QB candidates Baker was on the best offense by far so that’s why you justify the pick. WTF
Watching the Hue & Dorsey presser sealed it for me. These guys are so friggin clueless. I watched all but 2 OU games with Baker at QB and anyone who did would know two really important things. First Lincoln Riley’s offense is friggin scary. Second OU’s offensive line was one of the tops in the country and their running attack was equally as good. They hung 45 on a good Georgia defense in the playoff. Baker was a winner because he played at OU for a great coach and with extremely talented players. Of all the QB candidates Baker was on the best offense by far so that’s why you justify the pick. WTF
I am not sure that is true. Their coach was a rookie HC...and while he may be good....he was still a rookie.
And their offense looked good a lot sometimes because they were playing Big 12 defenses. But, whatever....if the OU offense was so good....it was still because it was Mayfield that stirred the drink.
-
Hopefully, this translates to the NFL.... What sold me on Baker is he's crazy accurate- 70 completion%. I don't what to hear the "yeah, but his receivers were wide open" BS. He was hitting those wide open guys in stride, with zero adjustment to his passes. How many times last year did we see Kizer throw passes behind guys , over their heads or in the dirt? His completion% would have been a lot worse if guys weren't making circus catches the times his passers were 1\2 on target.
* 33-6 in 39 starts
* Second in D-I history in passer efficiency rating (175.4)
* Big 12 all-time record in yards per attempt (9.8),
* 131:30 TD-to-INT ratio, and 21 rushing scores.
* Led nation in QB rating under pressure in 2015 (117.4), 2016 (119.2), and 2017 (111.6).I’m sorry but you’ve got to hear it. Against Kansas, Texas Tech, WVU, OK St, TCU, Baylor he basically stood back in the pocket and waited for guys to get open. He rarely put in into windows or made anticipated throws. To top it all off the team rushed for 220 a game. He was playing a video game. You want to truly evaluate Baker look at the six losses.
I’m sorry but you’ve got to hear it. Against Kansas, Texas Tech, WVU, OK St, TCU, Baylor he basically stood back in the pocket and waited for guys to get open. He rarely put in into windows or made anticipated throws. To top it all off the team rushed for 220 a game. He was playing a video game. You want to truly evaluate Baker look at the six losses.
Well....this has always been the issue with Big 12 QBs. In the one loss...the biggest loss.....he put up 48 pts on Georgia.....a big bad SEC team.
Maybe the Browns could think about having their defense help the guy if he like puts up 48 points for the Browns.
The Georgia Bulldogs won that game because the OK defense was a sieve vs. Michel/Chubb.....not because Beaver made a bunch of bad plays.
-
Baker Mayfield better have all the intangibles his fans say he has and more. Intangibles literally oozing out of every orifice.
Because physically he possesses nothing that warrants a #1 overall pick. Not elite athleticism, not elite size, not an elite arm.
-
Baker Mayfield better have all the intangibles his fans say he has and more. Intangibles literally oozing out of every orifice.
Because physically he possesses nothing that warrants a #1 overall pick. Not elite athleticism, not elite size, not an elite arm.
Baker Mayfield better have all the intangibles his fans say he has and more. Intangibles literally oozing out of every orifice.
Because physically he possesses nothing that warrants a #1 overall pick. Not elite athleticism, not elite size, not an elite arm.
Deshone Kizer arguably had those three things
-
Baker Mayfield better have all the intangibles his fans say he has and more. Intangibles literally oozing out of every orifice.
Because physically he possesses nothing that warrants a #1 overall pick. Not elite athleticism, not elite size, not an elite arm.
Deshone Kizer arguably had those three things
theDeshone Kizer arguably had those three things
Kizer was a raw QB taken with the 52nd overall pick, who was rushed onto the field by an incompetent franchise.
Mayfield was taken with the #1 overall pick.
-
he's a little douchey, but I can see why his teammates and people love him. He is definitely not afraid of the spotlight. if he balls out like we all hope, he is going to be a star.
-
I had no interest in seeing the documentary because it comes off pretty douchey that he had it made to begin with. That said, Go Browns!
-
Baker Mayfield better have all the intangibles his fans say he has and more. Intangibles literally oozing out of every orifice.
Because physically he possesses nothing that warrants a #1 overall pick. Not elite athleticism, not elite size, not an elite arm.
Baker Mayfield better have all the intangibles his fans say he has and more. Intangibles literally oozing out of every orifice.
Because physically he possesses nothing that warrants a #1 overall pick. Not elite athleticism, not elite size, not an elite arm.
I nominate you to research said orifices. Please relay your findings to someone else to relay to the rest of us, and then hit the showers.
-
Nick Chubb, while he's no Saquon- put up some comparable numbers at the combine. Hyde - Chubb - Duke should be able to operate a respectable ground game.
While I had it:
Barkley - Mayfield - Oliver - Williams = RB/QB/CB/OL
They went:
Mayfield - Ward - Corbett - Chubb = QB/CB/OL/RB
Time will tell which would have been better...
Sacrificing Barkley to ensure that we got the right QB ended up being the right move for our FO.
I still think that had they taken Barkley first, the NY Giants would have been left holding the bag- thus they may have simply traded out to Cleveland who could then have taken Mayfield. We'll never really know if it would have happened that way but whatever, gotta keep moving forward.
-
Mayfield was the perfect pick. MTBGA.
-
Mayfield was the perfect pick. MTBGA.
Mayfield was the perfect pick. MTBGA.
First interception and a moron like you will be calling him a bum.
-
Mayfield was the perfect pick. MTBGA.
First interception and a moron like you will be calling him a bum.
First interception and a moron like you will be calling him a bum.
I find insulting assholes like you to be the most unforgiving.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login