Skip to content

Baker Mayfield Thread

The Browns Board
976 82 48.5k 1
  • @hoorta said:

    He'll be well chilled Nero. I did some wading in the Lake in July when it had warmed up to 21C, and that's still mighty cold. BTW, Lake Erie regularly freezes over in the winter. Way back, Ohio had a really cold winter, the temperature for several days running was in the -25C range at night. Decided the lake was plenty frozen over, so I took a stroll about a kilometer out on the ice. It was white as far as you could see.  🙂  

    I've worked as a lifeguard and I had to measure temperature: I recall 21C being super cold. 

    So I guess people ice skate on the lake?

    @nero said:

    I've worked as a lifeguard and I had to measure temperature: I recall 21C being super cold. 

    So I guess people ice skate on the lake?

    Ice fish, yes, ice skate, no.  LOL, safety issues, and you get snow on top of the ice. Doesn't freeze all nice and smooth like a skating rink. Though, at times the ice is plenty thick enough you can drive a car or an ATV out on to it. Just DON'T break through. You do, 15 minutes or less to get out, or you're going to die. LOL, it's why us guys wanted Hue to jump in right before it froze over- you deserved a life changing experience for that 0-16.   Me and Tex Ag have had adventures out in the Rockies with glacial runoff that was damn near freezing- and your body about instantly goes numb when water is that cold.  🙂 

  • @hoorta said:

    He'll be well chilled Nero. I did some wading in the Lake in July when it had warmed up to 21C, and that's still mighty cold. BTW, Lake Erie regularly freezes over in the winter. Way back, Ohio had a really cold winter, the temperature for several days running was in the -25C range at night. Decided the lake was plenty frozen over, so I took a stroll about a kilometer out on the ice. It was white as far as you could see.  🙂  

    I've worked as a lifeguard and I had to measure temperature: I recall 21C being super cold. 

    So I guess people ice skate on the lake?

    @nero said:

    I've worked as a lifeguard and I had to measure temperature: I recall 21C being super cold. 

    So I guess people ice skate on the lake?

    21 C  is like  70 degrees in real temperature.  So, while that would be a bit chilly to jump in.....Lake Erie can get down to just above freezing yet not freeze.  Say  35 degrees.  That is what it should have been when Hue jumped in...the gutless wonder.

  • @nero said:

    I'd prefer another J starting month... Like January.

    That would be awfully close to suicide. 

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    That would be awfully close to suicide. 

    Polar Bear clubs jump in Lake Erie all the time in January and survive.  The point is to jump in and get out....not to linger so as to get hypothermia.

  • @the-gipper said:

    This is America....use Fahrenheit.!!!😠

    Beyond that, Fahrenheit is a better system of use.....even for...or particularly for  those who are fans of the metric system.    Metric systems like their scales of measurements based on  a decimal system....using scales of like 0-100.    Humans basically live in that scale....under the Fahreheit system. The Celsius, or Centrigrade system only has the human race living in like one third  of it:   like 20 Below zero to about 37 above.   We live more on a 0-100 F scale.

    MABS. America's always been stupid. (when it comes to metric) Gipper, just give it up- American false sense of superiority. The rest of the world laughs at us not converting to metric. I have to have metric tools to work on my bike. And if you forgot- the mile race isn't even a recognized distance in the Olympics anymore- it's the 1500. Which, using a handy dandy calculator is 93% of a mile. 

    So here's your primer. 32F = 0C, 68F= 20C, 212F= 100C. LOL, us medical people know damn well 98.6F= 37C. 1 liter is a tad over 1 Us quart. kilogram = 2.2 pounds. kilometer= .62 miles, ergo 100 kilometers per hour = 62 mph. 

    Only in the USA with foot dragging. If your doing work on damn near any car of late, and you don't have metric tools, you're SOL pal.  😁 

    Sh!t, 1\2 the kids working in stores are damn near on the moron level when it comes to decimal equivalents- go ask for 1\3 of a pound of ham at the meat counter, at watch the blank stares. Tooooo tough for Americans to realize 500 grams of ham are 1.1 pounds. 4 liters of gas are about a gallon, 150kph will get you a speeding ticket about anywhere. 

    But don't worry Gip, when the US finally goes metric, you'll probably be dead. 

    @hoorta said:

    MABS. America's always been stupid. (when it comes to metric) Gipper, just give it up- American false sense of superiority. The rest of the world laughs at us not converting to metric. I have to have metric tools to work on my bike. And if you forgot- the mile race isn't even a recognized distance in the Olympics anymore- it's the 1500. Which, using a handy dandy calculator is 93% of a mile. 

    So here's your primer. 32F = 0C, 68F= 20C, 212F= 100C. LOL, us medical people know damn well 98.6F= 37C. 1 liter is a tad over 1 Us quart. kilogram = 2.2 pounds. kilometer= .62 miles, ergo 100 kilometers per hour = 62 mph. 

    Only in the USA with foot dragging. If your doing work on damn near any car of late, and you don't have metric tools, you're SOL pal.  😁 

    Sh!t, 1\2 the kids working in stores are damn near on the moron level when it comes to decimal equivalents- go ask for 1\3 of a pound of ham at the meat counter, at watch the blank stares. Tooooo tough for Americans to realize 500 grams of ham are 1.1 pounds. 4 liters of gas are about a gallon, 150kph will get you a speeding ticket about anywhere. 

    But don't worry Gip, when the US finally goes metric, you'll probably be dead. 

    All you have done is to convince me that I am right.   As far as a system of weather  temperature,   Fahrenheit is better.  It uses pretty much a full zero to 100 scale.  It is not truncated like Celsius (and beyond that...Fahrenheit isn't schizo....C....does not know if it is supposed to be known as Celsius or Centigrade).   Fahrenheit also uses  more  increments of temperature.   I mean, I can tell you right now that there is a difference when I set my thermostat at 68   versus if I set it at 72.    With C...there is hardly a difference....but there damned well is a difference.

  • @the-gipper said:

    This is America....use Fahrenheit.!!!😠

    Beyond that, Fahrenheit is a better system of use.....even for...or particularly for  those who are fans of the metric system.    Metric systems like their scales of measurements based on  a decimal system....using scales of like 0-100.    Humans basically live in that scale....under the Fahreheit system. The Celsius, or Centrigrade system only has the human race living in like one third  of it:   like 20 Below zero to about 37 above.   We live more on a 0-100 F scale.

    MABS. America's always been stupid. (when it comes to metric) Gipper, just give it up- American false sense of superiority. The rest of the world laughs at us not converting to metric. I have to have metric tools to work on my bike. And if you forgot- the mile race isn't even a recognized distance in the Olympics anymore- it's the 1500. Which, using a handy dandy calculator is 93% of a mile. 

    So here's your primer. 32F = 0C, 68F= 20C, 212F= 100C. LOL, us medical people know damn well 98.6F= 37C. 1 liter is a tad over 1 Us quart. kilogram = 2.2 pounds. kilometer= .62 miles, ergo 100 kilometers per hour = 62 mph. 

    Only in the USA with foot dragging. If your doing work on damn near any car of late, and you don't have metric tools, you're SOL pal.  😁 

    Sh!t, 1\2 the kids working in stores are damn near on the moron level when it comes to decimal equivalents- go ask for 1\3 of a pound of ham at the meat counter, at watch the blank stares. Tooooo tough for Americans to realize 500 grams of ham are 1.1 pounds. 4 liters of gas are about a gallon, 150kph will get you a speeding ticket about anywhere. 

    But don't worry Gip, when the US finally goes metric, you'll probably be dead. 

    @hoorta said:

    American false sense of superiority. The rest of the world laughs at us not converting to metric.

    metric system? no. Not for America, we are real - there is great reason to avoid going metric, dammit.

  • @nero said:

    I've worked as a lifeguard and I had to measure temperature: I recall 21C being super cold. 

    So I guess people ice skate on the lake?

    21 C  is like  70 degrees in real temperature.  So, while that would be a bit chilly to jump in.....Lake Erie can get down to just above freezing yet not freeze.  Say  35 degrees.  That is what it should have been when Hue jumped in...the gutless wonder.

    @the-gipper said:

    21 C  is like  70 degrees in real temperature.  

    You mean like in gibberish?

  • @the-gipper said:

    21 C  is like  70 degrees in real temperature.  

    You mean like in gibberish?

    @nero said:

    You mean like in gibberish?

    Fahrenheit.....where the temperature readings mean something.  Where 40 is cool, 70 is warm and 90 is hot.    Not C....where the difference between cool, warm and hot are only a degree or two off.

    I mean....seriously....there is NOTHING about "30 degrees" that say "Hot".     90 is fuyucking hot.   100 means something to humans.   100 in C only means something to freeking  Lobsters. 

  • @nero said:

    You mean like in gibberish?

    Fahrenheit.....where the temperature readings mean something.  Where 40 is cool, 70 is warm and 90 is hot.    Not C....where the difference between cool, warm and hot are only a degree or two off.

    I mean....seriously....there is NOTHING about "30 degrees" that say "Hot".     90 is fuyucking hot.   100 means something to humans.   100 in C only means something to freeking  Lobsters. 

    @the-gipper said:

    Fahrenheit.....where the temperature readings mean something.  Where 40 is cool, 70 is warm and 90 is hot.    Not C....where the difference between cool, warm and hot are only a degree or two off.

    I mean....seriously....there is NOTHING about "30 degrees" that say "Hot".     90 is fuyucking hot.   100 means something to humans.   100 in C only means something to freeking  Lobsters. 

  • @hoorta said:

    MABS. America's always been stupid. (when it comes to metric) Gipper, just give it up- American false sense of superiority. The rest of the world laughs at us not converting to metric. I have to have metric tools to work on my bike. And if you forgot- the mile race isn't even a recognized distance in the Olympics anymore- it's the 1500. Which, using a handy dandy calculator is 93% of a mile. 

    So here's your primer. 32F = 0C, 68F= 20C, 212F= 100C. LOL, us medical people know damn well 98.6F= 37C. 1 liter is a tad over 1 Us quart. kilogram = 2.2 pounds. kilometer= .62 miles, ergo 100 kilometers per hour = 62 mph. 

    Only in the USA with foot dragging. If your doing work on damn near any car of late, and you don't have metric tools, you're SOL pal.  😁 

    Sh!t, 1\2 the kids working in stores are damn near on the moron level when it comes to decimal equivalents- go ask for 1\3 of a pound of ham at the meat counter, at watch the blank stares. Tooooo tough for Americans to realize 500 grams of ham are 1.1 pounds. 4 liters of gas are about a gallon, 150kph will get you a speeding ticket about anywhere. 

    But don't worry Gip, when the US finally goes metric, you'll probably be dead. 

    All you have done is to convince me that I am right.   As far as a system of weather  temperature,   Fahrenheit is better.  It uses pretty much a full zero to 100 scale.  It is not truncated like Celsius (and beyond that...Fahrenheit isn't schizo....C....does not know if it is supposed to be known as Celsius or Centigrade).   Fahrenheit also uses  more  increments of temperature.   I mean, I can tell you right now that there is a difference when I set my thermostat at 68   versus if I set it at 72.    With C...there is hardly a difference....but there damned well is a difference.

    @the-gipper said:

    All you have done is to convince me that I am right.   As far as a system of weather  temperature,   Fahrenheit is better.  It uses pretty much a full zero to 100 scale.  It is not truncated like Celsius (and beyond that...Fahrenheit isn't schizo....C....does not know if it is supposed to be known as Celsius or Centigrade).   Fahrenheit also uses  more  increments of temperature.   I mean, I can tell you right now that there is a difference when I set my thermostat at 68   versus if I set it at 72.    With C...there is hardly a difference....but there damned well is a difference.

    Would it make you happy if centigrade thermostats were fractional? Sheeze, fixed in your ways. Below 10C, it's getting chilly, over 30C getting hot. Metric weights are much more precise than the archaic 16 ounces to a pound. 1,000 grams to a kilogram. 28 grams to an ounce. If you ever bother to look at your pill bottles, they're already in milligrams 1\1,000th of a gram, so you've been using metric for years. Ditto on booze. Everyone knows what a 750ml bottle looks like, so big hardship selling gas by the liter. Gas stations would love it- 75 cents a liter, looks way cheaper.  🙂

    Really, having everything based on multiples of 10 is a lot easier, you just need to put in the minimal effort to get used to it.

  • @the-gipper said:

    All you have done is to convince me that I am right.   As far as a system of weather  temperature,   Fahrenheit is better.  It uses pretty much a full zero to 100 scale.  It is not truncated like Celsius (and beyond that...Fahrenheit isn't schizo....C....does not know if it is supposed to be known as Celsius or Centigrade).   Fahrenheit also uses  more  increments of temperature.   I mean, I can tell you right now that there is a difference when I set my thermostat at 68   versus if I set it at 72.    With C...there is hardly a difference....but there damned well is a difference.

    Would it make you happy if centigrade thermostats were fractional? Sheeze, fixed in your ways. Below 10C, it's getting chilly, over 30C getting hot. Metric weights are much more precise than the archaic 16 ounces to a pound. 1,000 grams to a kilogram. 28 grams to an ounce. If you ever bother to look at your pill bottles, they're already in milligrams 1\1,000th of a gram, so you've been using metric for years. Ditto on booze. Everyone knows what a 750ml bottle looks like, so big hardship selling gas by the liter. Gas stations would love it- 75 cents a liter, looks way cheaper.  🙂

    Really, having everything based on multiples of 10 is a lot easier, you just need to put in the minimal effort to get used to it.

    @hoorta said:

    Would it make you happy if centigrade thermostats were fractional? Sheeze, fixed in your ways. Below 10C, it's getting chilly, over 30C getting hot. Metric weights are much more precise than the archaic 16 ounces to a pound. 1,000 grams to a kilogram. 28 grams to an ounce. If you ever bother to look at your pill bottles, they're already in milligrams 1\1,000th of a gram, so you've been using metric for years. Ditto on booze. Everyone knows what a 750ml bottle looks like, so big hardship selling gas by the liter. Gas stations would love it- 75 cents a liter, looks way cheaper.  🙂

    Really, having everything based on multiples of 10 is a lot easier, you just need to put in the minimal effort to get used to it.

    And....again.....I say that Fahrenheit  IS more of a method of basing weather temperature on, more or less, multiples of 10.....or at least a multiple of 100.  I know if it is -0 degrees that it is fuycking cold as hell.....I know that if it is 100 degrees that it is hot as hell.

    Some metric measures may be more precise...or not. That does not necessarily mean that they are really any easier.  

    And let me ask you this sort of trivia:    Where and what caused the institution of the metric system?  

  • You're talking about ambient temperature, but also in physics Metric system has way more sense. For example, 1 cal is what it takes to raise 1ºC of temperature 1 gram of water. 

    There are many examples that show that Imperial system doesn't correlate its measurements and units, thus making it harder to grasp. You understand it only because you're used to it, not because it is easier than Metric.

    And by the way, I remember reading somewhere that the cost of changing everything to Metric is only raising as the time goes. Problem is, in a world that's getting more and more global and there are other markets which don't use Imperial getting a major importance, at some point you'll have to take that step. 

  • You're talking about ambient temperature, but also in physics Metric system has way more sense. For example, 1 cal is what it takes to raise 1ºC of temperature 1 gram of water. 

    There are many examples that show that Imperial system doesn't correlate its measurements and units, thus making it harder to grasp. You understand it only because you're used to it, not because it is easier than Metric.

    And by the way, I remember reading somewhere that the cost of changing everything to Metric is only raising as the time goes. Problem is, in a world that's getting more and more global and there are other markets which don't use Imperial getting a major importance, at some point you'll have to take that step. 

    @nero said:

    You're talking about ambient temperature, but also in physics Metric system has way more sense. For example, 1 cal is what it takes to raise 1ºC of temperature 1 gram of water. 

    There are many examples that show that Imperial system doesn't correlate its measurements and units, thus making it harder to grasp. You understand it only because you're used to it, not because it is easier than Metric.

    And by the way, I remember reading somewhere that the cost of changing everything to Metric is only raising as the time goes. Problem is, in a world that's getting more and more global and there are other markets which don't use Imperial getting a major importance, at some point you'll have to take that step. 

    On the other hand, Metric may only seem easier for you because you are used to it.  

    And consider this:   How far up your arse in metric measurements, would I have to shove my foot to make a foot?  

    See how much more eloquent and poetic  Imperial measurements are for some purposes? 😆

    I mean....that sentence would just not have quite the same impact if I said I wanted to put my foot 30.48 centimeters up your arse, would it? 🙄

  • @nero said:

    You're talking about ambient temperature, but also in physics Metric system has way more sense. For example, 1 cal is what it takes to raise 1ºC of temperature 1 gram of water. 

    There are many examples that show that Imperial system doesn't correlate its measurements and units, thus making it harder to grasp. You understand it only because you're used to it, not because it is easier than Metric.

    And by the way, I remember reading somewhere that the cost of changing everything to Metric is only raising as the time goes. Problem is, in a world that's getting more and more global and there are other markets which don't use Imperial getting a major importance, at some point you'll have to take that step. 

    On the other hand, Metric may only seem easier for you because you are used to it.  

    And consider this:   How far up your arse in metric measurements, would I have to shove my foot to make a foot?  

    See how much more eloquent and poetic  Imperial measurements are for some purposes? 😆

    I mean....that sentence would just not have quite the same impact if I said I wanted to put my foot 30.48 centimeters up your arse, would it? 🙄

    @the-gipper said:

    On the other hand, Metric may only seem easier for you because you are used to it.  

    And consider this:   How far up your arse in metric measurements, would I have to shove my foot to make a foot?  

    See how much more eloquent and poetic  Imperial measurements are for some purposes? 😆

    I mean....that sentence would just not have quite the same impact if I said I wanted to put my foot 30.48 centimeters up your arse, would it? 🙄

    Well, I'd rather stick up your arse a Spanish stick, which equals to 84 cm or 2ft 9" in your system 😉

    See? We also got outdated units just like you, but try to use common systems with the rest of the World and in our daily basis. You egocentric Americans lol.

  • And now back on topic- sort of. Caught up on my backlog of pre draft stuff, and saw this on NBC as part of their top qb prospects. If the media portrays Baker as a flag plantin', crotch grabbin', drunk jerk- this sort of stuff never hits the air waves. Fortunately, it was on YouTube also. My opinion of him as a person went up about 1,000% after seeing this. Brought a tear to my eye.....  

  • @nero said:

    You're talking about ambient temperature, but also in physics Metric system has way more sense. For example, 1 cal is what it takes to raise 1ºC of temperature 1 gram of water. 

    There are many examples that show that Imperial system doesn't correlate its measurements and units, thus making it harder to grasp. You understand it only because you're used to it, not because it is easier than Metric.

    And by the way, I remember reading somewhere that the cost of changing everything to Metric is only raising as the time goes. Problem is, in a world that's getting more and more global and there are other markets which don't use Imperial getting a major importance, at some point you'll have to take that step. 

    On the other hand, Metric may only seem easier for you because you are used to it.  

    And consider this:   How far up your arse in metric measurements, would I have to shove my foot to make a foot?  

    See how much more eloquent and poetic  Imperial measurements are for some purposes? 😆

    I mean....that sentence would just not have quite the same impact if I said I wanted to put my foot 30.48 centimeters up your arse, would it? 🙄

    @the-gipper said:

    On the other hand, Metric may only seem easier for you because you are used to it.  

    And consider this:   How far up your arse in metric measurements, would I have to shove my foot to make a foot?  

    See how much more eloquent and poetic  Imperial measurements are for some purposes? 😆

    I mean....that sentence would just not have quite the same impact if I said I wanted to put my foot 30.48 centimeters up your arse, would it? 🙄

    And Imperial is only easier for you because you're used to it... 🙂  And apparently too set in your ways....  

    There ya go Gip. a foot is (exactly in my case) the length of my foot in a tennis shoe. A mile comes from the old Roman millea passum, a thousand steps. Maybe you'd prefer the old biblical cubits & a span? Drachmas and shekels went the way of the dodo, Imperial units will eventually do the same. 

    But take solace in the fact our definition of time is still ( and forever will be) non metric. LOL, we haven't defined an hour as 1\10th of the rotation period of the earth, (making an hour around 144 of our current minutes long) a minute as 1\100th of a metric hour, and a second as 1\100th of a metric minute.  (though we could) We could sync days to years as 365.24XXX,  so we wouldn't need leap years. Without those leap years, we'd literally be having Christmas in July eventually.     BTW, the earth's rotation period is slowing down, and to pull some advanced astronomy on you, there's a difference between a sidereal and synodic day of about 4 minutes. 

  • Larry you still didn't answer my trivia question when where and how did the metric system come about?

  • Larry you still didn't answer my trivia question when where and how did the metric system come about?

    @the-gipper said:

    Larry you still didn't answer my trivia question when where and how did the metric system come about?

    Oh some guy a few 100 years ago decided a meter was a decimal fraction of the distance between point Y and point Z. Or didn't you bother to watch Nero's video on how the Fahrenheit system arbitrarily came about? Using the standard that pure water freezes at 0 C, and boils at 100C makes perfect sense at a standard of so many millimeters of mercury.  You probably know, as atmospheric pressure goes down, so does the boiling point of water. Bet you didn't know there's something called "the Armstrong limit" named after our famous moon walker Neil Armstrong. The practical elevation (for us mountain climbers) no one could survive at. Pressure is so low, your blood & spit would start boiling without a space suit.  That's at around 18 kilometers up- go get your calculator out Gip. It's pretty easy- us distance bikers know 10 kilometers = 6.2 miles.  🙂    Or I could go Kelvin on you where 0 = absolute zero, where nothing can get colder. -459F. LOL 300K = 80F It's centigrade measuring BTW. 

    In reality, the only thing holding the US back from going metric is (formerly) we had OPEC selling us barrels of oil in Imperial units. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Larry you still didn't answer my trivia question when where and how did the metric system come about?

    Oh some guy a few 100 years ago decided a meter was a decimal fraction of the distance between point Y and point Z. Or didn't you bother to watch Nero's video on how the Fahrenheit system arbitrarily came about? Using the standard that pure water freezes at 0 C, and boils at 100C makes perfect sense at a standard of so many millimeters of mercury.  You probably know, as atmospheric pressure goes down, so does the boiling point of water. Bet you didn't know there's something called "the Armstrong limit" named after our famous moon walker Neil Armstrong. The practical elevation (for us mountain climbers) no one could survive at. Pressure is so low, your blood & spit would start boiling without a space suit.  That's at around 18 kilometers up- go get your calculator out Gip. It's pretty easy- us distance bikers know 10 kilometers = 6.2 miles.  🙂    Or I could go Kelvin on you where 0 = absolute zero, where nothing can get colder. -459F. LOL 300K = 80F It's centigrade measuring BTW. 

    In reality, the only thing holding the US back from going metric is (formerly) we had OPEC selling us barrels of oil in Imperial units. 

    @hoorta said:

    Oh some guy a few 100 years ago decided a meter was a decimal fraction of the distance between point Y and point Z. Or didn't you bother to watch Nero's video on how the Fahrenheit system arbitrarily came about? Using the standard that pure water freezes at 0 C, and boils at 100C makes perfect sense at a standard of so many millimeters of mercury.  You probably know, as atmospheric pressure goes down, so does the boiling point of water. Bet you didn't know there's something called "the Armstrong limit" named after our famous moon walker Neil Armstrong. The practical elevation (for us mountain climbers) no one could survive at. Pressure is so low, your blood & spit would start boiling without a space suit.  That's at around 18 kilometers up- go get your calculator out Gip. It's pretty easy- us distance bikers know 10 kilometers = 6.2 miles.  🙂    Or I could go Kelvin on you where 0 = absolute zero, where nothing can get colder. -459F. LOL 300K = 80F It's centigrade measuring BTW. 

    In reality, the only thing holding the US back from going metric is (formerly) we had OPEC selling us barrels of oil in Imperial units. 

    Well....I don't know about that nerdy scientific stuff.....but I DO know the history of it.   And you are way off.   

    The use of the Metric system came about as a result of the French Revolution.   The term you use for the other system is "Imperial system".   Since the French Revolution was all about shedding the Monarchy there and just about anything associated with it,   they also rejected even the way things were measured. So they instituted the metric system.  Now, the system itself had been developed gradually perhaps as much as 100 years earlier during the "Age of Enlightenment",  but it was during the French Revolution that it got to be accepted and used.

    Also....interestingly.....particularly for you perhaps....is that one of the people  that inspired the development of the metric system was an astronomer and was none other than a man named "Jean Picard"   (without the Luc)

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Picard

    Also...note this.....as you referred to it before.   While distances and volumes and weights etc. were converted to metric.......there WAS a metric time system that was NOT accepted into popular use.

    https://hsm.stackexchange.com/questions/3855/was-there-ever-a-proposal-for-metric-time/3859