Baker Mayfield Thread
-
Lake jump,Fahrenheit & Metrics. Oh My.
.. https://waitingfornextyear.com/2018/05/getting-to-know-cleveland-browns-no-1-pick-baker-mayfield/
-
Larry you still didn't answer my trivia question when where and how did the metric system come about?
Oh some guy a few 100 years ago decided a meter was a decimal fraction of the distance between point Y and point Z. Or didn't you bother to watch Nero's video on how the Fahrenheit system arbitrarily came about? Using the standard that pure water freezes at 0 C, and boils at 100C makes perfect sense at a standard of so many millimeters of mercury. You probably know, as atmospheric pressure goes down, so does the boiling point of water. Bet you didn't know there's something called "the Armstrong limit" named after our famous moon walker Neil Armstrong. The practical elevation (for us mountain climbers) no one could survive at. Pressure is so low, your blood & spit would start boiling without a space suit. That's at around 18 kilometers up- go get your calculator out Gip. It's pretty easy- us distance bikers know 10 kilometers = 6.2 miles.
Or I could go Kelvin on you where 0 = absolute zero, where nothing can get colder. -459F. LOL 300K = 80F It's centigrade measuring BTW.
In reality, the only thing holding the US back from going metric is (formerly) we had OPEC selling us barrels of oil in Imperial units.
Oh some guy a few 100 years ago decided a meter was a decimal fraction of the distance between point Y and point Z. Or didn't you bother to watch Nero's video on how the Fahrenheit system arbitrarily came about? Using the standard that pure water freezes at 0 C, and boils at 100C makes perfect sense at a standard of so many millimeters of mercury. You probably know, as atmospheric pressure goes down, so does the boiling point of water. Bet you didn't know there's something called "the Armstrong limit" named after our famous moon walker Neil Armstrong. The practical elevation (for us mountain climbers) no one could survive at. Pressure is so low, your blood & spit would start boiling without a space suit. That's at around 18 kilometers up- go get your calculator out Gip. It's pretty easy- us distance bikers know 10 kilometers = 6.2 miles.
Or I could go Kelvin on you where 0 = absolute zero, where nothing can get colder. -459F. LOL 300K = 80F It's centigrade measuring BTW.
In reality, the only thing holding the US back from going metric is (formerly) we had OPEC selling us barrels of oil in Imperial units.
Well....I don't know about that nerdy scientific stuff.....but I DO know the history of it. And you are way off.
The use of the Metric system came about as a result of the French Revolution. The term you use for the other system is "Imperial system". Since the French Revolution was all about shedding the Monarchy there and just about anything associated with it, they also rejected even the way things were measured. So they instituted the metric system. Now, the system itself had been developed gradually perhaps as much as 100 years earlier during the "Age of Enlightenment", but it was during the French Revolution that it got to be accepted and used.
Also....interestingly.....particularly for you perhaps....is that one of the people that inspired the development of the metric system was an astronomer and was none other than a man named "Jean Picard" (without the Luc)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Picard
Also...note this.....as you referred to it before. While distances and volumes and weights etc. were converted to metric.......there WAS a metric time system that was NOT accepted into popular use.
https://hsm.stackexchange.com/questions/3855/was-there-ever-a-proposal-for-metric-time/3859
-
Oh some guy a few 100 years ago decided a meter was a decimal fraction of the distance between point Y and point Z. Or didn't you bother to watch Nero's video on how the Fahrenheit system arbitrarily came about? Using the standard that pure water freezes at 0 C, and boils at 100C makes perfect sense at a standard of so many millimeters of mercury. You probably know, as atmospheric pressure goes down, so does the boiling point of water. Bet you didn't know there's something called "the Armstrong limit" named after our famous moon walker Neil Armstrong. The practical elevation (for us mountain climbers) no one could survive at. Pressure is so low, your blood & spit would start boiling without a space suit. That's at around 18 kilometers up- go get your calculator out Gip. It's pretty easy- us distance bikers know 10 kilometers = 6.2 miles.
Or I could go Kelvin on you where 0 = absolute zero, where nothing can get colder. -459F. LOL 300K = 80F It's centigrade measuring BTW.
In reality, the only thing holding the US back from going metric is (formerly) we had OPEC selling us barrels of oil in Imperial units.
Well....I don't know about that nerdy scientific stuff.....but I DO know the history of it. And you are way off.
The use of the Metric system came about as a result of the French Revolution. The term you use for the other system is "Imperial system". Since the French Revolution was all about shedding the Monarchy there and just about anything associated with it, they also rejected even the way things were measured. So they instituted the metric system. Now, the system itself had been developed gradually perhaps as much as 100 years earlier during the "Age of Enlightenment", but it was during the French Revolution that it got to be accepted and used.
Also....interestingly.....particularly for you perhaps....is that one of the people that inspired the development of the metric system was an astronomer and was none other than a man named "Jean Picard" (without the Luc)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Picard
Also...note this.....as you referred to it before. While distances and volumes and weights etc. were converted to metric.......there WAS a metric time system that was NOT accepted into popular use.
https://hsm.stackexchange.com/questions/3855/was-there-ever-a-proposal-for-metric-time/3859
Well....I don't know about that nerdy scientific stuff.....but I DO know the history of it. And you are way off.
So they instituted the metric system. Now, the system itself had been developed gradually perhaps as much as 100 years earlier during the "Age of Enlightenment", but it was during the French Revolution that it got to be accepted and used.
You didn't ask why it was adopted- I was correct in saying the concept came about before the French Revolution. And I said it was a fractional distance= corectamundo. Originally defined in 1793 as one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the North Pole. We're more exact now. The meter is defined as the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum, in an insanely short period of time. Considering the speed of light is around 186,000 miles per second. You can bounce a laser beam off the moon and back in 2 seconds and change. (we won't get into the definition of nanoseconds).
-
This is such a delightfully weird board sometimes...

-
Well....I don't know about that nerdy scientific stuff.....but I DO know the history of it. And you are way off.
So they instituted the metric system. Now, the system itself had been developed gradually perhaps as much as 100 years earlier during the "Age of Enlightenment", but it was during the French Revolution that it got to be accepted and used.
You didn't ask why it was adopted- I was correct in saying the concept came about before the French Revolution. And I said it was a fractional distance= corectamundo. Originally defined in 1793 as one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the North Pole. We're more exact now. The meter is defined as the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum, in an insanely short period of time. Considering the speed of light is around 186,000 miles per second. You can bounce a laser beam off the moon and back in 2 seconds and change. (we won't get into the definition of nanoseconds).
You didn't ask why it was adopted- I was correct in saying the concept came about before the French Revolution. And I said it was a fractional distance= corectamundo. Originally defined in 1793 as one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the North Pole. We're more exact now. The meter is defined as the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum, in an insanely short period of time. Considering the speed of light is around 186,000 miles per second. You can bounce a laser beam off the moon and back in 2 seconds and change. (we won't get into the definition of nanoseconds).
They used it to dertimine the best way to use the guilletine
-
You didn't ask why it was adopted- I was correct in saying the concept came about before the French Revolution. And I said it was a fractional distance= corectamundo. Originally defined in 1793 as one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the North Pole. We're more exact now. The meter is defined as the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum, in an insanely short period of time. Considering the speed of light is around 186,000 miles per second. You can bounce a laser beam off the moon and back in 2 seconds and change. (we won't get into the definition of nanoseconds).
They used it to dertimine the best way to use the guilletine
They used it to dertimine the best way to use the guilletine
I'm pretty sure than was a gravitometer.

-
This is such a delightfully weird board sometimes...

This is such a delightfully weird board sometimes...

How has the baker mayfield thread become a discussion about the metric v imperial systems? I can't be bothered to read back

-
This is such a delightfully weird board sometimes...

How has the baker mayfield thread become a discussion about the metric v imperial systems? I can't be bothered to read back

How has the baker mayfield thread become a discussion about the metric v imperial systems? I can't be bothered to read back

This board is full of Renaissance men.

You should have read the thread about Kizer being traded that evolved into a debate over the best post WWII abstract artists.
-
How has the baker mayfield thread become a discussion about the metric v imperial systems? I can't be bothered to read back

This board is full of Renaissance men.

You should have read the thread about Kizer being traded that evolved into a debate over the best post WWII abstract artists.
This board is full of Renaissance men.

You should have read the thread about Kizer being traded that evolved into a debate over the best post WWII abstract artists.
And a bunch of us Neaderthals sometimes reside on the poly board.🥷
-
All you have done is to convince me that I am right. As far as a system of weather temperature, Fahrenheit is better. It uses pretty much a full zero to 100 scale. It is not truncated like Celsius (and beyond that...Fahrenheit isn't schizo....C....does not know if it is supposed to be known as Celsius or Centigrade). Fahrenheit also uses more increments of temperature. I mean, I can tell you right now that there is a difference when I set my thermostat at 68 versus if I set it at 72. With C...there is hardly a difference....but there damned well is a difference.
Would it make you happy if centigrade thermostats were fractional? Sheeze, fixed in your ways. Below 10C, it's getting chilly, over 30C getting hot. Metric weights are much more precise than the archaic 16 ounces to a pound. 1,000 grams to a kilogram. 28 grams to an ounce. If you ever bother to look at your pill bottles, they're already in milligrams 1\1,000th of a gram, so you've been using metric for years. Ditto on booze. Everyone knows what a 750ml bottle looks like, so big hardship selling gas by the liter. Gas stations would love it- 75 cents a liter, looks way cheaper.

Really, having everything based on multiples of 10 is a lot easier, you just need to put in the minimal effort to get used to it.
Would it make you happy if centigrade thermostats were fractional? Sheeze, fixed in your ways. Below 10C, it's getting chilly, over 30C getting hot. Metric weights are much more precise than the archaic 16 ounces to a pound. 1,000 grams to a kilogram. 28 grams to an ounce. If you ever bother to look at your pill bottles, they're already in milligrams 1\1,000th of a gram, so you've been using metric for years. Ditto on booze. Everyone knows what a 750ml bottle looks like, so big hardship selling gas by the liter. Gas stations would love it- 75 cents a liter, looks way cheaper.

Really, having everything based on multiples of 10 is a lot easier, you just need to put in the minimal effort to get used to it.
I remember I think it was back in the 70's where the USA was going to go metric. They started putting up Kilometer signs on the highways, etc. Then they stopped. I don't see any need to go metric. I believe England isn't metric either.
-
Would it make you happy if centigrade thermostats were fractional? Sheeze, fixed in your ways. Below 10C, it's getting chilly, over 30C getting hot. Metric weights are much more precise than the archaic 16 ounces to a pound. 1,000 grams to a kilogram. 28 grams to an ounce. If you ever bother to look at your pill bottles, they're already in milligrams 1\1,000th of a gram, so you've been using metric for years. Ditto on booze. Everyone knows what a 750ml bottle looks like, so big hardship selling gas by the liter. Gas stations would love it- 75 cents a liter, looks way cheaper.

Really, having everything based on multiples of 10 is a lot easier, you just need to put in the minimal effort to get used to it.
I remember I think it was back in the 70's where the USA was going to go metric. They started putting up Kilometer signs on the highways, etc. Then they stopped. I don't see any need to go metric. I believe England isn't metric either.
I remember I think it was back in the 70's where the USA was going to go metric. They started putting up Kilometer signs on the highways, etc. Then they stopped. I don't see any need to go metric. I believe England isn't metric either.
Yeah, but I can fool her by telling her how many centimeters long it is now.

-
This board is full of Renaissance men.

You should have read the thread about Kizer being traded that evolved into a debate over the best post WWII abstract artists.
And a bunch of us Neaderthals sometimes reside on the poly board.🥷
And a bunch of us Neaderthals sometimes reside on the poly board.🥷
I can hear the breathing via the mouth and the dragging of the knuckles from here!

-
How has the baker mayfield thread become a discussion about the metric v imperial systems? I can't be bothered to read back

This board is full of Renaissance men.

You should have read the thread about Kizer being traded that evolved into a debate over the best post WWII abstract artists.
This board is full of Renaissance men.

You should have read the thread about Kizer being traded that evolved into a debate over the best post WWII abstract artists.
The Ghool, miktoxic, DieHardBrownsFan yes the list is long and distinguished.
-
How has the baker mayfield thread become a discussion about the metric v imperial systems? I can't be bothered to read back

This board is full of Renaissance men.

You should have read the thread about Kizer being traded that evolved into a debate over the best post WWII abstract artists.
This board is full of Renaissance men.

You should have read the thread about Kizer being traded that evolved into a debate over the best post WWII abstract artists.
I haven't quite gone full Renaissance man yet. When I can write in Latin with my right hand, and in French with my left.....both at the same time, then may I will reach full Rennaissance man status.

-
This board is full of Renaissance men.

You should have read the thread about Kizer being traded that evolved into a debate over the best post WWII abstract artists.
I haven't quite gone full Renaissance man yet. When I can write in Latin with my right hand, and in French with my left.....both at the same time, then may I will reach full Rennaissance man status.

I haven't quite gone full Renaissance man yet. When I can write in Latin with my right hand, and in French with my left.....both at the same time, then may I will reach full Rennaissance man status.

That's ok, you're still our resident barrister, fact finder and accomplished wordsmith.
-
I haven't quite gone full Renaissance man yet. When I can write in Latin with my right hand, and in French with my left.....both at the same time, then may I will reach full Rennaissance man status.

That's ok, you're still our resident barrister, fact finder and accomplished wordsmith.
-
nounSure......and hopefully not also becoming a polyglot.
3. a mixture or confusion of languages.
4. a person who speaks, writes, or reads a number of languages.No I don't think so. -
Would it make you happy if centigrade thermostats were fractional? Sheeze, fixed in your ways. Below 10C, it's getting chilly, over 30C getting hot. Metric weights are much more precise than the archaic 16 ounces to a pound. 1,000 grams to a kilogram. 28 grams to an ounce. If you ever bother to look at your pill bottles, they're already in milligrams 1\1,000th of a gram, so you've been using metric for years. Ditto on booze. Everyone knows what a 750ml bottle looks like, so big hardship selling gas by the liter. Gas stations would love it- 75 cents a liter, looks way cheaper.

Really, having everything based on multiples of 10 is a lot easier, you just need to put in the minimal effort to get used to it.
I remember I think it was back in the 70's where the USA was going to go metric. They started putting up Kilometer signs on the highways, etc. Then they stopped. I don't see any need to go metric. I believe England isn't metric either.
I remember I think it was back in the 70's where the USA was going to go metric. They started putting up Kilometer signs on the highways, etc. Then they stopped. I don't see any need to go metric. I believe England isn't metric either.
I would just say if we're selling something to the EU, it better have metric parts. Metric is already in general use in science and medicine, MHO is eventually the rest of the country will catch up.

-
And now back on topic- sort of. Caught up on my backlog of pre draft stuff, and saw this on NBC as part of their top qb prospects. If the media portrays Baker as a flag plantin', crotch grabbin', drunk jerk- this sort of stuff never hits the air waves. Fortunately, it was on YouTube also. My opinion of him as a person went up about 1,000% after seeing this. Brought a tear to my eye.....
And now back on topic- sort of. Caught up on my backlog of pre draft stuff, and saw this on NBC as part of their top qb prospects. If the media portrays Baker as a flag plantin', crotch grabbin', drunk jerk- this sort of stuff never hits the air waves. Fortunately, it was on YouTube also. My opinion of him as a person went up about 1,000% after seeing this. Brought a tear to my eye.....
This video Shmucked me up. Powerful. Life is too short for the pettiness... we only get one shot. Make it count.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login