Skip to content

A Prudent Solution

The Browns Board
68 13 2.6k
  • @poeticg said:

    If by "stupid" you mean- An alternate view, then by all means- make mine orange and put some rims on that bitch. 

    Sorry if your view is Barkley at any and all costs- it's not being very objective. 😆😆😆  Now you want to compare Barkley to Michael Jordan? He wasn't even all that great at North Carolina dude. In the history of the NFL- no running back has ever won 6 Championships. (Gip can correct me if I'm wrong) The HOF ones that come to mind who have won more than one- Franco Harris and Emmett Smith, had a lot of help. What's next Mr. Hyperbole? Saquon can walk across Lake Erie, and part the Cuyahoga? 

    75 hours till your big disappointment Po. 

    @hoorta said:

    Sorry if your view is Barkley at any and all costs- it's not being very objective. 😆😆😆  Now you want to compare Barkley to Michael Jordan? He wasn't even all that great at North Carolina dude. In the history of the NFL- no running back has ever won 6 Championships. (Gip can correct me if I'm wrong) The HOF ones that come to mind who have won more than one- Franco Harris and Emmett Smith, had a lot of help. What's next Mr. Hyperbole? Saquon can walk across Lake Erie, and part the Cuyahoga? 

    75 hours till your big disappointment Po. 

    No, no RB has ever won 6 titles.

    The closest is Marion Motley who was with the Browns for there 5 straight titles from 1946 to 1950.  He was with the Browns until 1953...but then had one final year with the Squibs....in 1954.....the year the Browns won their next title after 1950.  So he just missed being a part of 6 by one year. 

  • Here is a Prudent Solution to the Browns draft Quandary over who to draft:

    Since most draft pundits think that Barkley and Chubb are actually the two best players out there, then they should take them.  Take one at 1 and the other at 4.  The only concern would be if another team picking at 2 or 3 grabs one of them....and that team would be the Giants, not the Jets who did not trade up to 3 to draft anything but a QB.   So, we would have to hope that the Giants either pick what they believe to be their QBOTF....or that they trade out to a team that does want one of the QBs.    So, assuming that happens, then the Browns get both of the best players that are thought to be the best available.

    Then, they trade back into the later first round....perhaps to the mid 20s, and they select the QB that is going to prove to be the best pro QB of the bunch anyway:  Mason Rudolph.  

    So then, the Browns will then have the best of all three worlds....the two best players and the best QB.

    Now, the Browns are not always known to be the most prudent team when it comes to drafting......and a few of you may not think this would be the most prudent move for the Browns....but it is. 

    🥷

    @the-gipper said:

    Since most draft pundits think that Barkley and Chubb are actually the two best players out there,

    It's not that simple.  (and many people believe the offensive guard is the best player......or a fatass as the Ghoul would say)

    The value of the quarterback to a team / entire organization is calculated on a curve.

    If your team has one, then even very good college QB's don't have top of the first round value. (low on the curve)

    But if a team doesn't have their QB of the future then that same QB is of incredible value (high on the curve)

    Neither Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, etc throw enough TD passes to be valued ahead of a QB.  Especially to a team that's won one game in two years because they couldn't throw TD passes.

    We know that TieRod is not really 'the answer' at QB or he'd still be a Bill.  The prudent thing to do is to attempt to fix the huge hole in the boat and worry about the burnt out light bulb later.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Since most draft pundits think that Barkley and Chubb are actually the two best players out there,

    It's not that simple.  (and many people believe the offensive guard is the best player......or a fatass as the Ghoul would say)

    The value of the quarterback to a team / entire organization is calculated on a curve.

    If your team has one, then even very good college QB's don't have top of the first round value. (low on the curve)

    But if a team doesn't have their QB of the future then that same QB is of incredible value (high on the curve)

    Neither Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, etc throw enough TD passes to be valued ahead of a QB.  Especially to a team that's won one game in two years because they couldn't throw TD passes.

    We know that TieRod is not really 'the answer' at QB or he'd still be a Bill.  The prudent thing to do is to attempt to fix the huge hole in the boat and worry about the burnt out light bulb later.

    @orion said:

    It's not that simple.  (and many people believe the offensive guard is the best player......or a fatass as the Ghoul would say)

    The value of the quarterback to a team / entire organization is calculated on a curve.

    If your team has one, then even very good college QB's don't have top of the first round value. (low on the curve)

    But if a team doesn't have their QB of the future then that same QB is of incredible value (high on the curve)

    Neither Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, etc throw enough TD passes to be valued ahead of a QB.  Especially to a team that's won one game in two years because they couldn't throw TD passes.

    We know that TieRod is not really 'the answer' at QB or he'd still be a Bill.  The prudent thing to do is to attempt to fix the huge hole in the boat and worry about the burnt out light bulb later.

    This is all fine well and good......but it also presumes that the QB that you get proves to be high on the curve and of incredible value.  But, if we actually only have a pile of Blaine Gabberts, Christian Ponders, Joey Harringtons.....or if you have Jamarcus Russell's or Cade McNown's or Akili Smiths....then the Curve you are talking about is the Laugher Curve  (as opposed to Laffer Curve)   

    I still say that when it all turns out....this class of QBs will wind up being closer to 2011..or 1999  than it will be to  1983 or 2004.  

    Or, as I have said....perhaps more like 2012...where the best QBs that may have come out of that year came in the 3rd and 4th rounds. 

  • @orion said:

    It's not that simple.  (and many people believe the offensive guard is the best player......or a fatass as the Ghoul would say)

    The value of the quarterback to a team / entire organization is calculated on a curve.

    If your team has one, then even very good college QB's don't have top of the first round value. (low on the curve)

    But if a team doesn't have their QB of the future then that same QB is of incredible value (high on the curve)

    Neither Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, etc throw enough TD passes to be valued ahead of a QB.  Especially to a team that's won one game in two years because they couldn't throw TD passes.

    We know that TieRod is not really 'the answer' at QB or he'd still be a Bill.  The prudent thing to do is to attempt to fix the huge hole in the boat and worry about the burnt out light bulb later.

    This is all fine well and good......but it also presumes that the QB that you get proves to be high on the curve and of incredible value.  But, if we actually only have a pile of Blaine Gabberts, Christian Ponders, Joey Harringtons.....or if you have Jamarcus Russell's or Cade McNown's or Akili Smiths....then the Curve you are talking about is the Laugher Curve  (as opposed to Laffer Curve)   

    I still say that when it all turns out....this class of QBs will wind up being closer to 2011..or 1999  than it will be to  1983 or 2004.  

    Or, as I have said....perhaps more like 2012...where the best QBs that may have come out of that year came in the 3rd and 4th rounds. 

    @the-gipper said:

    I still say that when it all turns out....this class of QBs will wind up being closer to 2011..or 1999  than it will be to  1983 or 2004.  

    Of course, that could be true.  But if you were a decision maker, and you were wrong like Sashi...then you wouldn't be the decision maker any more.  (DePodesta still has a job though)

  • @the-gipper said:

    I still say that when it all turns out....this class of QBs will wind up being closer to 2011..or 1999  than it will be to  1983 or 2004.  

    Of course, that could be true.  But if you were a decision maker, and you were wrong like Sashi...then you wouldn't be the decision maker any more.  (DePodesta still has a job though)

    @orion said:

    Of course, that could be true.  But if you were a decision maker, and you were wrong like Sashi...then you wouldn't be the decision maker any more.  (DePodesta still has a job though)

    But....if I ended up getting the Drew Brees or Russell Wilson of this draft.....I would be employed. 

    Notice I did not say to draft Rudolph with #1 or 4.    Sure, by indications that would be seen as a reach.  I said take Chubb and Barkley with 1 and 4.   No one would profess those to be reaches...given their pre draft evaluations.  Some few may disagree with those evaluations....and I may be one of them with Barkley.   But as a rule, no one would claim those to be reaches.  

    I think taking any one of THESE QBS at 1 or 4 may in fact be the reach.  I have seen a number of views to that effect.

    But I would wager that  Rudolph does go in round one.

    I already have a few "wagers" out there.    Stan still owes me a pitcher of Margaritas because I wagered him that Trubisky would be taken Top 10...and he said he would not  (taken #2)

    From my Pick Six challenge I will owe the person that wins that lunch.   We shall see how that goes.  Are you in on that?

    And here, I am willing to make a minor wager.....hot fudge sundae?  Lunch at Al's?  $5.00 McDonalds Gift Cert....that Rudolph goes in round one.  Are you a taker?

  • Great!  I love that Sherlock.

    No, no more picking a QB at #22 please.  

  • Great!  I love that Sherlock.

    No, no more picking a QB at #22 please.  

    @orion said:

    Great!  I love that Sherlock.

    No, no more picking a QB at #22 please.  

    Does that mean we have a bet then?   The bet would be just that  Rudolph goes somewhere in the first round...to any team, not just the Browns.

    Lets see if you are a town goose or a country goose.

    (and I too have always loved that scene....only just one thing....how the hell can you tell the difference between a town bred goose and a country bred goose?  Never could figure that one out.)

  • @roycerolls said:

    Hey, remember that time 5 months ago where Gipper saw an article stating that Rudolph was the top QB, and welded his opinion to it without any independent research?  

    That article is the CBS Prospect report......which by the way STILL has him listed.....as of about an hour ago....as the #1 QB prospect out there.

    Besides, I did do "independent research".....which...you apparently missed....or ignored....or were so stupefied by that it went over your head.

    I.e.   I did as much "research" as any of us can do:   watched game film,  read reports,  researched his stats.

    What else did you want me to do.....as a mere Joe Schmo fan?

    @the-gipper said:

    That article is the CBS Prospect report......which by the way STILL has him listed.....as of about an hour ago....as the #1 QB prospect out there.

    Besides, I did do "independent research".....which...you apparently missed....or ignored....or were so stupefied by that it went over your head.

    I.e.   I did as much "research" as any of us can do:   watched game film,  read reports,  researched his stats.

    What else did you want me to do.....as a mere Joe Schmo fan?

    @the-gipper said:

    Does that mean we have a bet then?   The bet would be just that  Rudolph goes somewhere in the first round...to any team, not just the Browns.

    Lets see if you are a town goose or a country goose.

    (and I too have always loved that scene....only just one thing....how the hell can you tell the difference between a town bred goose and a country bred goose?  Never could figure that one out.)

    You are still hung up on CBS.  Some time back you questioned me about Calvin Ridley, that he wasn't listed as a top prospect by CBS sports.  Have they figured out who he is at this point?

  • @the-gipper said:

    That article is the CBS Prospect report......which by the way STILL has him listed.....as of about an hour ago....as the #1 QB prospect out there.

    Besides, I did do "independent research".....which...you apparently missed....or ignored....or were so stupefied by that it went over your head.

    I.e.   I did as much "research" as any of us can do:   watched game film,  read reports,  researched his stats.

    What else did you want me to do.....as a mere Joe Schmo fan?

    @the-gipper said:

    Does that mean we have a bet then?   The bet would be just that  Rudolph goes somewhere in the first round...to any team, not just the Browns.

    Lets see if you are a town goose or a country goose.

    (and I too have always loved that scene....only just one thing....how the hell can you tell the difference between a town bred goose and a country bred goose?  Never could figure that one out.)

    You are still hung up on CBS.  Some time back you questioned me about Calvin Ridley, that he wasn't listed as a top prospect by CBS sports.  Have they figured out who he is at this point?

    @ballpeen said:

    You are still hung up on CBS.  Some time back you questioned me about Calvin Ridley, that he wasn't listed as a top prospect by CBS sports.  Have they figured out who he is at this point?

    That CBS still has Rudolph as their #1 qb is ludicrous. I've yet to see their rationale making Rudolph the #1 prospect, or did they just pull names out of a hat? Every other ranking I looked at has Mason around #5 or #6 as a qb prospect.  Saying there's no drop off in the  talent level 1-6 is crazy. 

    EDIT: After meditating on this one, here you go Gipper- the CBS ranking is what's called a "contrarian" ranking. They think they'll get more clicks by being stupid instead of ranking the prospects the same as everyone else.  

    Here's a prospect ranking that in my book that carries a lot more weight- Daniel Jeremiah's http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919918/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft-20

    Rudolph isn't even listed in his top 50 prospects.  BTW, DJ has Darnold as his #7 prospect- so projecting him at #4 is hardly a "reach", Considering every one ahead of him is a position player, not crazy at all to take Darnold at #1. 

  • @orion said:

    Of course, that could be true.  But if you were a decision maker, and you were wrong like Sashi...then you wouldn't be the decision maker any more.  (DePodesta still has a job though)

    But....if I ended up getting the Drew Brees or Russell Wilson of this draft.....I would be employed. 

    Notice I did not say to draft Rudolph with #1 or 4.    Sure, by indications that would be seen as a reach.  I said take Chubb and Barkley with 1 and 4.   No one would profess those to be reaches...given their pre draft evaluations.  Some few may disagree with those evaluations....and I may be one of them with Barkley.   But as a rule, no one would claim those to be reaches.  

    I think taking any one of THESE QBS at 1 or 4 may in fact be the reach.  I have seen a number of views to that effect.

    But I would wager that  Rudolph does go in round one.

    I already have a few "wagers" out there.    Stan still owes me a pitcher of Margaritas because I wagered him that Trubisky would be taken Top 10...and he said he would not  (taken #2)

    From my Pick Six challenge I will owe the person that wins that lunch.   We shall see how that goes.  Are you in on that?

    And here, I am willing to make a minor wager.....hot fudge sundae?  Lunch at Al's?  $5.00 McDonalds Gift Cert....that Rudolph goes in round one.  Are you a taker?

    @the-gipper said:

    Rudolph goes in round one.  Are you a taker?

    He's a big kid QB.  And QB's are rated on a curve.  He could go in round 1 I guess.

    We have the #1 overall pick....in a draft where 4 QB's may go pretty high in round 1.   May I please have the best one in the draft for once?  Please? 

    Teams have been jockeying around to get in position to draft one of the four.  Let's not try and outsmart the league again this year ok?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Rudolph goes in round one.  Are you a taker?

    He's a big kid QB.  And QB's are rated on a curve.  He could go in round 1 I guess.

    We have the #1 overall pick....in a draft where 4 QB's may go pretty high in round 1.   May I please have the best one in the draft for once?  Please? 

    Teams have been jockeying around to get in position to draft one of the four.  Let's not try and outsmart the league again this year ok?

    @orion said:

    He's a big kid QB.  And QB's are rated on a curve.  He could go in round 1 I guess.

    We have the #1 overall pick....in a draft where 4 QB's may go pretty high in round 1.   May I please have the best one in the draft for once?  Please? 

    Teams have been jockeying around to get in position to draft one of the four.  Let's not try and outsmart the league again this year ok?

    LOL, want to bet Gip at least three QBs get picked before Rudolph? 

  • @ballpeen said:

    You are still hung up on CBS.  Some time back you questioned me about Calvin Ridley, that he wasn't listed as a top prospect by CBS sports.  Have they figured out who he is at this point?

    That CBS still has Rudolph as their #1 qb is ludicrous. I've yet to see their rationale making Rudolph the #1 prospect, or did they just pull names out of a hat? Every other ranking I looked at has Mason around #5 or #6 as a qb prospect.  Saying there's no drop off in the  talent level 1-6 is crazy. 

    EDIT: After meditating on this one, here you go Gipper- the CBS ranking is what's called a "contrarian" ranking. They think they'll get more clicks by being stupid instead of ranking the prospects the same as everyone else.  

    Here's a prospect ranking that in my book that carries a lot more weight- Daniel Jeremiah's http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919918/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft-20

    Rudolph isn't even listed in his top 50 prospects.  BTW, DJ has Darnold as his #7 prospect- so projecting him at #4 is hardly a "reach", Considering every one ahead of him is a position player, not crazy at all to take Darnold at #1. 

    @hoorta said:

    That CBS still has Rudolph as their #1 qb is ludicrous. I've yet to see their rationale making Rudolph the #1 prospect, or did they just pull names out of a hat? Every other ranking I looked at has Mason around #5 or #6 as a qb prospect.  Saying there's no drop off in the  talent level 1-6 is crazy. 

    EDIT: After meditating on this one, here you go Gipper- the CBS ranking is what's called a "contrarian" ranking. They think they'll get more clicks by being stupid instead of ranking the prospects the same as everyone else.  

    Here's a prospect ranking that in my book that carries a lot more weight- Daniel Jeremiah's http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919918/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft-20

    Rudolph isn't even listed in his top 50 prospects.  BTW, DJ has Darnold as his #7 prospect- so projecting him at #4 is hardly a "reach", Considering every one ahead of him is a position player, not crazy at all to take Darnold at #1. 

    Except that he is 3 to 4 inches taller than Mayfield. So what you call country and I simply call accurate Maybe what CBS saw was what I saw. He's very mediocre bunch of quarterbacks that are vastly overrated. In Rudolph fits in there with them and has produced every bit as much as any of them have except perhaps Mayfield

  • @the-gipper said:

    Rudolph goes in round one.  Are you a taker?

    He's a big kid QB.  And QB's are rated on a curve.  He could go in round 1 I guess.

    We have the #1 overall pick....in a draft where 4 QB's may go pretty high in round 1.   May I please have the best one in the draft for once?  Please? 

    Teams have been jockeying around to get in position to draft one of the four.  Let's not try and outsmart the league again this year ok?

    @orion said:

    He's a big kid QB.  And QB's are rated on a curve.  He could go in round 1 I guess.

    We have the #1 overall pick....in a draft where 4 QB's may go pretty high in round 1.   May I please have the best one in the draft for once?  Please? 

    Teams have been jockeying around to get in position to draft one of the four.  Let's not try and outsmart the league again this year ok?

    Problem is they're really has no clue as to who is the best one. And my pin that Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinionProblem is they're really has no clue as to who is the best one. And my pin that Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinion

  • @orion said:

    He's a big kid QB.  And QB's are rated on a curve.  He could go in round 1 I guess.

    We have the #1 overall pick....in a draft where 4 QB's may go pretty high in round 1.   May I please have the best one in the draft for once?  Please? 

    Teams have been jockeying around to get in position to draft one of the four.  Let's not try and outsmart the league again this year ok?

    LOL, want to bet Gip at least three QBs get picked before Rudolph? 

    @hoorta said:

    LOL, want to bet Gip at least three QBs get picked before Rudolph? 

    Hello McFly I have said all along that the other QBs " rated higher"   than Rudolph will likely  get drafted before he will. My bet is that he'll be taken in round one. Are you in on that particular bet?

    See....this bet, never accepted.

  • @orion said:

    He's a big kid QB.  And QB's are rated on a curve.  He could go in round 1 I guess.

    We have the #1 overall pick....in a draft where 4 QB's may go pretty high in round 1.   May I please have the best one in the draft for once?  Please? 

    Teams have been jockeying around to get in position to draft one of the four.  Let's not try and outsmart the league again this year ok?

    Problem is they're really has no clue as to who is the best one. And my pin that Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinionProblem is they're really has no clue as to who is the best one. And my pin that Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinion

    @the-gipper said:

    Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinion

    In premise...but I'd prefer to have the one that Dorsey thinks is the best this time.  

    I've wanted Rosen....but I don't like his number.  We used to have a guy that wore #14 that won some games for us.........

  • @the-gipper said:

    Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinion

    In premise...but I'd prefer to have the one that Dorsey thinks is the best this time.  

    I've wanted Rosen....but I don't like his number.  We used to have a guy that wore #14 that won some games for us.........

    @orion said:

    In premise...but I'd prefer to have the one that Dorsey thinks is the best this time.  

    I've wanted Rosen....but I don't like his number.  We used to have a guy that wore #14 that won some games for us.........

    Sorry that number is retiredSorry that number is retired

  • @orion said:

    He's a big kid QB.  And QB's are rated on a curve.  He could go in round 1 I guess.

    We have the #1 overall pick....in a draft where 4 QB's may go pretty high in round 1.   May I please have the best one in the draft for once?  Please? 

    Teams have been jockeying around to get in position to draft one of the four.  Let's not try and outsmart the league again this year ok?

    Problem is they're really has no clue as to who is the best one. And my pin that Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinionProblem is they're really has no clue as to who is the best one. And my pin that Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinion

    @the-gipper said:

    Problem is they're really has no clue as to who is the best one. And my pin that Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinion. Problem is they're really has no clue as to who is the best one. And my opinion that Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinion

    So we keep going for lower rated (by the experts) qbs just like we have since Couch. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Problem is they're really has no clue as to who is the best one. And my pin that Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinion. Problem is they're really has no clue as to who is the best one. And my opinion that Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinion

    So we keep going for lower rated (by the experts) qbs just like we have since Couch. 

    @hoorta said:

    So we keep going for lower rated (by the experts) qbs just like we have since Couch. 

    "Tradition!"

  • @the-gipper said:

    Problem is they're really has no clue as to who is the best one. And my pin that Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinion. Problem is they're really has no clue as to who is the best one. And my opinion that Rudolph me in the long run long run prove to be the best is just as viable as any other opinion

    So we keep going for lower rated (by the experts) qbs just like we have since Couch. 

    @hoorta said:

    So we keep going for lower rated (by the experts) qbs just like we have since Couch. 

    Clearly you haven't seen the bargain QB thread

  • For what it's worth, I never give CBSports draft material any credence at all, I probably rely on NFL.com the most because I listen then on Sirius during the day, but there are tons of good sites.

    And, For what it's worth .... We're going QB #1.

    Zombo