Overall Draft Reaction... your thoughts?
-
-Some head scratchers for me, but I expected that as this draft was run by real football people & that hasn't been seen in Browns' Town for MANY years. I expected some surprises.
-I got the QB I wanted in Baker, CB in Ward, & RB in Chubb, so I'm happy there. I'm not familiar at all with our other picks, so I won't comment.
My attitude in general is to play the cards I'm dealt, so "we'll see" & GO BROWNS!
Mike
-
-Some head scratchers for me, but I expected that as this draft was run by real football people & that hasn't been seen in Browns' Town for MANY years. I expected some surprises.
-I got the QB I wanted in Baker, CB in Ward, & RB in Chubb, so I'm happy there. I'm not familiar at all with our other picks, so I won't comment.
My attitude in general is to play the cards I'm dealt, so "we'll see" & GO BROWNS!
Mike
-Some head scratchers for me, but I expected that as this draft was run by real football people & that hasn't been seen in Browns' Town for MANY years. I expected some surprises.
-I got the QB I wanted in Baker, CB in Ward, & RB in Chubb, so I'm happy there. I'm not familiar at all with our other picks, so I won't comment.
My attitude in general is to play the cards I'm dealt, so "we'll see" & GO BROWNS!
Mike
Yep ! Those three picks will dramatically make the Browns a very different team.
The pick of Corbett was stunning to me. I said "..........WHAT?" lol
Here is some good info on that pick. Still a shocker, but there may be good reason why they did it - the Browns will be changing their blocking scheme on pass protection. They drafted Corbett, and could have drafted Hernandez - monster at OG.
Interesting. I don't get it.
https://dawgpounddaily.com/2018/04/28/cleveland-browns-enigma-austin-corbett/
-
Overall I think the BROWNS had a mediocre draft at best, most others agree.
nfl.com/news
Day 1 grade: B
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: B+
Overall grade: B+ ......but actually slightly came in last in the AFCN, but they gave everybody above C gradesSI Grade: B- ....... .. CIN A- BAL B- PIT B-
CLEVELAND BROWNSBaker Mayfield’s beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Let’s give the Browns the benefit of the doubt since they surely researched this year’s QBs more than any of us (and perhaps all of us combined). But let’s also acknowledge that this a roll of the dice. A 6' 0" QB must play differently in the NFL. Mayfield dazzled with his sandlot plays at Oklahoma, but his best work actually came when he threw on schedule and within rhythm. If he’s to pan out, it’ll be via the Drew Brees path, not the Russell Wilson path.
A Drew Brees-type quarterback needs a firm pocket. The Browns already had an outstanding guard tandem in Joel Bitonio and Kevin Zeitler, and they didn’t want to gamble with intriguing-but-still-inconsistent third-year man Shon Coleman in Joe Thomas’s old left tackle spot. So, they spent a second-rounder on guard Austin Corbett, who will slide outside. That pick makes sense. The one made two spots later does not. Why draft Nick Chubb after you signed a terrific base runner like Carlos Hyde and still have a versatile scatback like Duke Johnson?
At No. 4, taking Denzel Ward over Bradley Chubb was GM John Dorsey’s way of saying a pass rush can be manufactured through scheme, as long as you have corners who can cover one-on-one. Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has taken this approach for decades. The Browns still needed more pieces around last year’s No. 1 overall pick Myles Garrett, though, which is why the team spent their lone third-rounder on Chad Thomas.
USA TODAY
Cleveland Browns: C.....last in the AFCN (they actually gave NO, SEA D grades)
This will be viewed as a seminal draft. But did GM John Dorsey properly leverage the bounty of assets left behind by analytics-driven predecessor Sashi Brown? Ultimately, it boils down to No. 1 overall pick Baker Mayfield, whom Dorsey apparently couldn't live without. If Mayfield lives up to his billing, the rest is gravy. But debate remains as to whether Darnold, Allen or even Rosen should have been the pick. Given RB Nick Chubb was taken in Round 2, also worth questioning if Saquon Barkley should have gotten the call at No. 1 with the guarantee that a quarterback — possibly even Mayfield — would have remained available at No. 4. Then there's the notion that DE Bradley Chubb was a much better option with that fourth pick than CB Denzel Ward given how hard it is to collect quality pass rushers (even though Myles Garrett is already aboard), and the wealth of corner options in this draft. At the top of Round 2, Austin Corbett must prove he can play tackle at the pro level. If not, what does Dorsey do with one of his highly paid interior linemen? And even fourth-round WR Antonio Callaway, who's talented but comes with drug and disciplinary issues, seems like a misadventure for a franchise that's had so many issues with Josh Gordon.
Walter football
Cleveland Browns: C+ Grade
Goals Entering the 2018 NFL Draft: The Browns are the first team since the 1992 Colts to have two picks in the top four heading into the draft season (the Redskins picked second and third in 2000, but they moved up from No. 12 a couple of months beforehand.) Cleveland has just one win in the past two years, and needs to do something special. The team must select Saquon Barkley first overall, as it has an extremely rare luxury of also obtaining a franchise quarterback with the fourth pick. Unfortunately, it appears as though the Browns are going with the homoclitic route instead, meaning they're going to lose out on Barkley for no good reason.
2018 NFL Draft Accomplishments: The consensus among analysts and casual fans is that the Browns bungled the top picks, but there are varying opinions on why they did this. There are those questioning Baker Mayfield over Sam Darnold and Denzel Ward over Bradley Chubb. I thought they were the right players in the scenario that the Browns felt they needed to go quarterback with the top pick. Mayfield is a great leader and a hard worker, unlike Johnny Manziel, and he stands a good chance of being successful in Cleveland. As for Ward, the Browns should've traded down, but taking him over Chubb made sense because the Browns wouldn't have been able to afford three $100 million contracts in a span of 12 months in 4-5 years.
The Browns, however, made a mistake of not selecting Barkley first overall, as they also would've obtained Mayfield at the No. 4 spot. The Browns' inability to think heteroclitically could cost them in the future, but I don't have a big issue with the players they obtained in the top four. Cleveland will certainly be much better in 2018.
Elsewhere, Cleveland acquired some intriguing weapons around Mayfield in Nick Chubb and Antonio Callaway. Unfortunately, Callaway comes with off-the-field problems, and I wonder if he'll be a bad influence for Josh Gordon. I don't think the Browns should've made that pick, and I also don't think they should've reached for Chad Thomas in the third frame.
Read more: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php#ixzz5E2exPXKlPRO FOOTBALL FOCUS
1 (1) Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma, 94.8
1 (4) Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State, 91.4
2 (33) Austin Corbett, G/C, Nevada, 84.0
2 (35) Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia, 87.6
3 (67) Chad Thomas, Edge, Miami (Fla.), 83.9
4 (105) Antonio Callaway, WR, Florida, 77.7* (in 2016)
5 (150) Genard Avery, LB, Memphis, 82.4
6 (175) Damion Ratley, WR, Texas A&M, 77.1
6 (188) Simeon Thomas, CB, Louisiana, 79.0Day 1: Mayfield was PFF’s pick to be the No. 1 overall pick for the Browns since last October and they made it a reality despite many rumors to the contrary. Mayfield has the two highest single-season grades we’ve given a quarterback in our four years of grading and he can make every necessary throw with zip and accuracy. No matter which way the numbers are sliced, Mayfield generally led the way, including the best PFF grade from a clean pocket (the most consistent measure of year-to-year success) and also the best grade when facing pressure. He also came out on top in our new advanced accuracy numbers that emphasized actual ball location on every throw, and his was nine percent better than the next-best quarterback on tight-window throws. After much speculation, the Browns selected the No. 1 player on the PFF draft board with the first pick of the draft.
As for Denzel Ward, he fills a massive need in the secondary and his straight-line speed and lateral agility make him a perfect candidate to match up with the best route runners in the NFL. Ward allowed a completion percentage of only 35.0 percent in his career when targeted, picking off two passes and breaking up 19 more on only 100 targets. He may struggle at the catch point at times against bigger receivers, but he knows how to play through the receiver’s hands to break up passes and he’s had his fair share of success when matched up against bigger bodies in college.
Day 2: The Browns added a versatile offensive lineman in Austin Corbett who played left tackle at Nevada, though he could play guard or center where he showed well at the Senior Bowl. He has three years of grading in the mid-80.0s and his 98.0 pass-blocking efficiency ranked 13th in the draft class among tackles last season. Nick Chubb is one of the best runners in the class, and he looked back to form last year after two years of battling injuries and recovering. He maximizes what his run-blocking gives him and he averaged 3.7 yards after contact per rush during his four-year career at Georgia. Chad Thomas continued to improve throughout his career at Miami, and he did his best work in the run game where he graded at 84.5 last season while his pass-rush productivity of 9.9 ranked 39th in the draft class.
Day 3: On the field, Antonio Callaway is a big-play threat as his impressive game speed makes him a weapon on the deep ball, taking short passes for big gains, and as a punt returner. He averaged 7.3 yards after the catch per reception in his career, but fell in the draft due to off-field concerns, including being suspended for the entire 2017 season. Genard Avery did plenty of damage on the edge at Memphis, notching nine sacks, 14 QB hits and 34 hurries last season, and he brings versatility to the Cleveland defense.
Overall grade: Good
-
They disagree with facts about Baker Mayfield?
Makes sense.
What I am saying is that he was by far the highest Qbase score in the group and checks 7/7 on the Parcells list. Those are good signs. Other than that the kid works to win.
-
I cannot stop thinking of Cubase, the music producing station...
We filled 3 needs in the order I wanted. QB-CB in top of the first round, RB early in the second.
If Ward and Chubb perform at 70% of the likes of Lattimore and Kamara, it will be already a good upgrade. For those worried about Ward's size, the only good big receiver I come up with in the AFCN is AJ Green?
An Olineman and a rotational DE won't hurt us, I like the positions, let's hope they succeeded chosing the players. And I like taking risks in the 4th with a WR, because I think we have a decent core now with Landry-Njoku and "no news-good news" Gordon, with Taylor throwing them and not an inaccurate rookie.
Overall, looking both FA and Draft we improved QB (that was easy), WR, RB and, most important for me, SECONDARY. I think it will make wonders having a true FS, Peppers playing like the SS he is and a real CB1 who can play press coverage.
-
Here’s a good analytics article written in March 2018 regarding Mayfield. . .
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/22/baker-mayfield-advance-analytics-nfl-draft-oklahoma-pff
I had Mayfield as my #2 QB in the draft, but the more I read into his metrics, the more I like the pick.
It is why I said that Mayfield had the best stats and why Rudolph had the second best stats. Again what we don't know is whether or not this is because of the quality of these quarterbacks or because of a piss poor big 12 defenses
It is why I said that Mayfield had the best stats and why Rudolph had the second best stats. Again what we don't know is whether or not this is because of the quality of these quarterbacks or because of a piss poor big 12 defenses
The Sooners did play against some pitiful Big 12 defenses.
Don’t forget, Mayfield and company hung 48 points on Georgia and 31 on the Buckeyes.
-
For me Walter Football has always been a joke. They've reinforced that here by calling the Browns draft "homoclitic" and claiming that it should have been "heteroclitic" instead. JFC -You're writing for football fans, not high school kids studying for the SATs. Know your audience!
-
Both PFF and QBASE have the most thorough quarterback analysis of any of the draft prospect rating entities. It's incredibly gratifying to know that Baker Mayfield was the highest rated QB -BY FAR - by both of these services.
Those that criticize the pick simply don't know.
Those that complain about Mayfield's antics either forgot what it was like to be 21 years old or got butt-hurt when he beat OSU.
We've got a real NFL GM now. Sit back and enjoy the ride - it's going to be fantastic.
-
No idea how the picks will pan out yet but the main plus for me was how clear it is that the Browns are still in on analytics. DePodesta, Berry and Kovash are still prominent and you add in Dorsey, Highsmith etc NFL experience it looks a nice match to me. Time will tell how many of the FO are still here over the next few months though.
A lot of the picks were clearly data driven and the dinosaurs and "football guy" crowd like Tony Grossi are still crying, this is pleasing.
Do you think Mayfield was an analytics pick?
On one hand, I can see it with the amount of starts he had in his career, his completion %, TD/Int ratio, etc....
But on the other hand, there's no analytics in the world that would tell Dorsey and Co. that picking a 6'0 tall QB from a conference that produces Sheet for QBs is a recipe for success #1 overall...
-
Absolutely
Fair enough.
-
I really wanted DE Chubb with Garrett and CB Oliver @ #33. And Corbett could have been #64. But very happy we got one of Guice, Michel, Chubb,Penny right where we got him because they were all gone by 64 anyway. Other than that I'm glad we took chances with the 2 WRs. A couple of our "droppers" are going to be history by Sept. IMO. Which ones I don't know, but we have plenty to choose from.
-
No idea how the picks will pan out yet but the main plus for me was how clear it is that the Browns are still in on analytics. DePodesta, Berry and Kovash are still prominent and you add in Dorsey, Highsmith etc NFL experience it looks a nice match to me. Time will tell how many of the FO are still here over the next few months though.
A lot of the picks were clearly data driven and the dinosaurs and "football guy" crowd like Tony Grossi are still crying, this is pleasing.
Do you think Mayfield was an analytics pick?
On one hand, I can see it with the amount of starts he had in his career, his completion %, TD/Int ratio, etc....
But on the other hand, there's no analytics in the world that would tell Dorsey and Co. that picking a 6'0 tall QB from a conference that produces Sheet for QBs is a recipe for success #1 overall...
Do you think Mayfield was an analytics pick?
I think Baker was a unanimous pick for our FO... Analytics... drive... the whole she-bang.
The only challenge was getting by the height issue and I don't think it was that hard.
I said in another thread someplace swallowed up by mods into another thread someplace that every qb coming out of college comes from a single read system.
Agree that single-read is the norm, but every is an overstatement. I know of two of which it was definitely not true.
-
It’s a crapshoot.
I live the Mayfield pick, think he’s a culture changer, and he was the best player in CFB last year.
Denzel Ward only gave up one reception last year against Baker Mayfield, on a 3rd and 30 where they were playing prevent.
Like the Callaway pick, Dorsey seems to have a knack for drafting guys with character issues who actually pan out, so he gets the benefit of the doubt for that one.
Cant speak too much on any other of the picks. Although, Chad Thomas is an interesting human being. He plays 10 instruments, and produces beats for famous rappers (including Rick Ross) He was actually so successful in the music industry he had to convince teams he’s all in on football. He also owns his own dollar store in Miami. Wether he pans out or not, he’s a true entrepreneur who made something out of himself financially before he even made it to the NFL. That’s impressive
-
It is why I said that Mayfield had the best stats and why Rudolph had the second best stats. Again what we don't know is whether or not this is because of the quality of these quarterbacks or because of a piss poor big 12 defenses
The Sooners did play against some pitiful Big 12 defenses.
Don’t forget, Mayfield and company hung 48 points on Georgia and 31 on the Buckeyes.
The Sooners did play against some pitiful Big 12 defenses.
Don’t forget, Mayfield and company hung 48 points on Georgia and 31 on the Buckeyes.
Good point. The both the buckeyes and Georgia had top-quality defense of players a number of whom were taken in this draft
-
Overall, I thought the Browns did well addressing areas of need. I'm disappointed they didn't really add any pass rush, but otherwise did a good job position-wise.
I'm not overly impressed with WHO they drafted at those positions. They seemed to go for character and work ethic (for the most part) over explosiveness and play making.
Favorite pick: Callaway-WR
Could be a MAJOR steal, think Tyreek Hill. Or, vould be the 2nd coming of Josh Gordon... in a not good way. Either way, I like the risk in the 4th round.
Honorable mention: Genard Avery-LB
Finally, a steal. He should contribute quite a bit and was a great depth pick.
Least favorite pick: Chad Thomas-DE
I thought we'd look to upgrade the pass rush with a DE, instead we reached for a potentially good run defender... oh well.
Honorable mention: Baker Mayfield-QB
I don't HATE this pick, but not the guy I thought was best. I REALLY hope he proves me wrong
Others thoughts?
Overall, I thought the Browns did well addressing areas of need. I'm disappointed they didn't really add any pass rush, but otherwise did a good job position-wise.
I'm not overly impressed with WHO they drafted at those positions. They seemed to go for character and work ethic (for the most part) over explosiveness and play making.
You listed Antonio Callaway right after typing this. Did you even proof read, bruh?
-
Overall, I thought the Browns did well addressing areas of need. I'm disappointed they didn't really add any pass rush, but otherwise did a good job position-wise.
I'm not overly impressed with WHO they drafted at those positions. They seemed to go for character and work ethic (for the most part) over explosiveness and play making.
You listed Antonio Callaway right after typing this. Did you even proof read, bruh?
You listed Antonio Callaway right after typing this. Did you even proof read, bruh?
The first five picks, the most important picks, warrant exactly what he said.
After that, they did take some chances on some guys - I trust that Dorsey and co did their homework on these guys,
and decided they were worth taking a chance on.
Like Calloway - a first round talent, troubled off-the-field.
But he has a daughter now. He has been influenced by Antonio Brown - wants to get his life right for his daughter.
For later on draft picks, I can see taking chances on a player if it's warranted. Calloway is very much like Tyreek Hill, who Dorsey
also took a chance on. I'm good with it, as long as it isn't in the first three rounds. So, of course, in the higher rounds, they went for character, etc.
-
LOVE THE PICK
WARD (A-)
CHUBB,(A-)
CALLAWAY (A-)
HARRISON (UFA) ( A-)
LIKE THE PICK
MAYFIELD (B+)
CORBETT (B+)
AVERY (B)
THOMPSON ( UFA) (B)
WAS OK WITH THE PICK
C THOMAS (B-)
RATLEY (C+)
REST OF UFA (C+)
NEVER HEARD OF HIM PICK
S THOMAS (UNGRADED)
I did not hate any of the picks ...... time will tell
-
Yeah no joke. Dumbassey has shown like his alcoholic and drug addicted draft picks he also has no character or integrity.
-
You listed Antonio Callaway right after typing this. Did you even proof read, bruh?
The first five picks, the most important picks, warrant exactly what he said.
After that, they did take some chances on some guys - I trust that Dorsey and co did their homework on these guys,
and decided they were worth taking a chance on.
Like Calloway - a first round talent, troubled off-the-field.
But he has a daughter now. He has been influenced by Antonio Brown - wants to get his life right for his daughter.
For later on draft picks, I can see taking chances on a player if it's warranted. Calloway is very much like Tyreek Hill, who Dorsey
also took a chance on. I'm good with it, as long as it isn't in the first three rounds. So, of course, in the higher rounds, they went for character, etc.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login