Skip to content

Smart football

The Browns Board
23 15 1.8k
  • S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Bones or Not....We will be a smarter football team by default....after Rac....

  • Personally think this football team will play(for the first time) sound football. Gone will be the bonehead personal fouls (ala winslow), gone will be the multiple penalties in a row(false starts etc), Gone will be the me first attitude. I think we will be a tough, smart and disciplined football team( for the first time since 99). Who knows how Quinn will do, lewis, edwards etc....what i do think is we will be a much smarter football team. NE got to many a superbowl, not by being the most talented, but by being tough and smart. I unlike most thought Mangini was a super hire....and that he got the shaft in NY. He and Kokinas have brought us a team that has the most depth since our return to football. I don't think that can be disputed.

    S Sez.EJ wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @solon16 said:

    He and Kokinas have brought us a team that has the most depth since our return to football. I don't think that can be disputed.

    I can dispute it all day long until I see it on the field. I have looked at teams in the past and we looked good "on paper".. Ask me on week 9 (our bye week).. after we have played some good teams.. had to see if that depth actually equates to winning games on the field or not.. Then you may have something that may or may not be disputed.. I agree "on paper" the depth looks good. On the field can still be disputed all day long. Cuz until we win..we still suck.

  • S Solon16 wrote on last edited by Solon16
    #14

    go ahead and dispute it......we have better quality depth at all positions since 99'. that's a fact, to me! Pick a year for comparison b4 you sheet on it, plz

  • go ahead and dispute it......we have better quality depth at all positions since 99'. that's a fact, to me! Pick a year for comparison b4 you sheet on it, plz

    PlaygroundLegendP PlaygroundLegend wrote on last edited by PlaygroundLegend
    #15

    @solon16 said:

    go ahead and dispute it......we have better quality depth at all positions since 99'. that's a fact, to me! Pick a year for comparison b4 you sheet on it, plz

    I agree with the fact that we have better all around depth, but not at every position... we took a hit to TE when Winslow was traded, granted we have Royal now, Heiden, and Rucker, as well as some other bums who wont play, I say we keep winslow, Rucker, Heiden, and get Royal... Thats depth improvement.

    Dont say kellen was addition by subtraction either, kid could ball... He had consistent hands

  • go ahead and dispute it......we have better quality depth at all positions since 99'. that's a fact, to me! Pick a year for comparison b4 you sheet on it, plz

    S Sez.EJ wrote on last edited by Sez.EJ
    #16

    @solon16 said:

    go ahead and dispute it......we have better quality depth at all positions since 99'. that's a fact, to me! Pick a year for comparison b4 you sheet on it, plz

    Solon: What a joke. Hindsight is 20/20.. if we end up at the bottom defense at the end of the year.. I can easily look back in future years and say the depth was not there. That is what you are doing. You are trying to compare the known with the unknown.. The known failures of the past vs the unknown of how this team will perform this year.

    We do not REALLY REALLY know if this team has depth or not UNTIL IT IS TESTED!!!!!!!!!!!!

    NOW THAT...is beyond dispute.. (on paper means dick)

  • Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Speaking for myself I guess I always just kind of thought RAC 'n ROLLS was pretending to be stupid. Like that's the way he wanted to be perceived so the media would in essence leave him alone.

    I'm pretty sure the guy knows football and a lot better than he came off representing, but damn you can feel free to show a little more than what he did.

    I'm totally fired up over Mangini and his staff, they are football through and through and very intelligent. Mangie gets Cleveland football too, this is where he got his start.....literally.

    We're going to see a remarkable difference this year, I have no doubt about it. No more kicking a fuggin FG down by three scores type crap for one.

  • Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Well, I just took a yearly bet with a Browns hater friend of mine and he gives me $20 for every game above 8 and 8 and I do the same for under 8 and 8. Right now I'm the laughing stock of the bar and he thinks he just pulled the bet of the century off.

    I have high hopes for this team.

  • Speaking for myself I guess I always just kind of thought RAC 'n ROLLS was pretending to be stupid. Like that's the way he wanted to be perceived so the media would in essence leave him alone.

    I'm pretty sure the guy knows football and a lot better than he came off representing, but damn you can feel free to show a little more than what he did.

    I'm totally fired up over Mangini and his staff, they are football through and through and very intelligent. Mangie gets Cleveland football too, this is where he got his start.....literally.

    We're going to see a remarkable difference this year, I have no doubt about it. No more kicking a fuggin FG down by three scores type crap for one.

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @riffer-x said:

    I'm totally fired up over Mangini and his staff, they are football through and through and very intelligent. Mangie gets Cleveland football too, this is where he got his start.....literally.

    We're going to see a remarkable difference this year, I have no doubt about it. No more kicking a fuggin FG down by three scores type crap for one.

    I agree...Mangini & Kokinis BOTH are happy to be in Cleveland again, & that is major, combined with the fact that these are young men. The last young one we had was Butch, & even if he HAD done a good job (which he did NOT), he would have bolted for southern climes as soon as he could get there. I think we will have continuity of a positive type through a staff that actually wants to coach here. They also have an understanding of what it means to beat Peeburgh.

    I also feel that depth provides a more minimal "dropoff" in performance if a starter is injured...In that regard, we are WAY ahead of last year already. They don't have to be in pads yet to see that.

    Mike

  • Well, I just took a yearly bet with a Browns hater friend of mine and he gives me $20 for every game above 8 and 8 and I do the same for under 8 and 8. Right now I'm the laughing stock of the bar and he thinks he just pulled the bet of the century off.

    I have high hopes for this team.

    N ndneighbor wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @riffer-x said:

    Well, I just took a yearly bet with a Browns hater friend of mine and he gives me $20 for every game above 8 and 8 and I do the same for under 8 and 8. Right now I'm the laughing stock of the bar and he thinks he just pulled the bet of the century off.

    I have high hopes for this team.

    I'm guessing you end up getting a Ben Franklin from him.

    Any one who's been paying attention since January knows that's optimistic but should be close to the mark.

  • N ndneighbor wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @inspecta said:

    If we go 13-3 I'm going to run down my street naked waving my Browns flag singing "cleveland rocks!"

    You're in the Carolinas. You probably do that everyday anyway. 😛

  • Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @inspecta said:

    This is great news Shep, I hope they keep hating on us. Not because I think it will put some chip on the shoulders of our players/coaches, but I believe there is some cosmic force that ensures that offseason predictions about the NFL are consistently 99.9% wrong.

    and that's waht they were predicting about Miami and Atlanta last year while talking up the Browns as the next coming. so i take everything they say with a grain of salt.

  • Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @shepwrite said:

    I just read that piece saying the Browns would be the worst team in football, or close to it.

    Was it Walter C. from walterfootball.com?

    He has such a hard on for Mangini that it colors everything he writes about him. It's too bad because generally his website is a pretty good one.

    He has the Browns being the worst team in football and drafting Bradford #1 in 2010.