Skip to content

Why Witten?

The Browns Board
21 11 968 1
  • Witten is an extremely likable dude who resonates with millions of people not only as Cowboys fans but fans of the game in general. Same vein as Tony Gonzales, and these guys are trying to draw in the younger audience so the "old guard" is getting pushed out. That's (partly) the reason ESPN axed so many guys as well.

    Romo was absolutely fantastic as a commentator and got rave reviews across the board. The only person I know who had anything bad to say was Musburger, who for whatever reason came off as just hating the guy.

    @jrb12711 said:

    Romo was absolutely fantastic as a commentator and got rave reviews across the board. The only person I know who had anything bad to say was Musburger, who for whatever reason came off as just hating the guy.

    That is no surprise since Musburger knows so little about the intricacies of the game and Romo is exactly the opposite. I enjoyed his takes on what was going on "live". Musburger is just a "mouth" to me.

  • I thought Romo came across as trying to hard to be the " smartest guy in the room". Kind of a know it all syndrome. 

  • Jerry Jones has them connections, Jerry likes you, you get job.

  • I thought Romo came across as trying to hard to be the " smartest guy in the room". Kind of a know it all syndrome. 

    @jcam222 said:

    I thought Romo came across as trying to hard to be the " smartest guy in the room". Kind of a know it all syndrome. 

    Because he was.😆

  • Well after checking out the college and pro stats and information I try to figure out the "other" stuff, well he was a Cowboy, ESPN must like him for whatever reason  and as far as community involvement he has done a lot:

    • 2003 Dallas Cowboys Rookie Club.
    • 2004-09 Cowboys JC Penney Take a Player to School representative, visiting the elementary school of the local winner.
    • He and wife Michelle participated in 2004 Cowboys Football 101 Workshop.
    • 2004-05 and 2009 & 2012 Children’s Cancer Fund Fashion Show and Luncheon hosted by Staubach and Aikman.
    • 2005 St. Valentine’s Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Style Show.
    • 2007 Dallas Cowboys Team Winner for NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year Award.
    • 2007 (one-of-four) NFL Finalists for NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year Award.
    • 2007 Cowboys NFL United Way PSA/Spokesperson.
    • 2008-11 Taste of the NFL: The Ultimate Cowboys Tailgate Party for North Texas Food Bank.
    • 2008 & 2010 Stars of Texas…Racing Against The Odds for American Diabetes Association.
    • Host of Family Place Christmas Party.
    • 2008-10 Poker for Pets for SPCA of Texas.
    • 2009 Chopsticks for Cowboys benefitting the Rich Behm Family Trust.
    • National NFL PSA/Representative for NFL Play 60.
    • Local Cowboys PSA/Representative for Cowboys Play 60.
    • 2009 Jason Garrett Play-It-Smart Football Camp Guest Coach/Speaker; University of Princeton.
    • 2009 University of Phoenix Play It Forward Award Winner benefitting Happy Hill Farm for his commitment to community.
    • 2009 Received the Pat Summerall Humble Beginnings Award from Austin Street Shelter.
    • 2010 Boys & Girls Clubs of America Chairman’s Gala.
    • 2010-11 NFL Play 60 Challenge Super School winner assembly.
    • 2011 Super Bowl XLV multiple community events.
    • 2011 Pro Football Weekly Arthur Arkush Humanitarian Award Winner.
    • 2011 Cowboys Tight Ends held build Kaboom Playground with UnitedHealthcare at Williams Prep Academy.
    • 2011 Susan G. Komen iPromise PSA.
    • 2012 Guest Speaker for State Farm.
    • 2012 Special guest at Dunkin Donuts Grand Opening.
    • 2012 Exercise like a Pro – NFL/United Way Play 60 Fundraiser.
    • 2012 Reliant Home Run Derby benefitting Big Brothers Big Sisters.
    • 2012 Dallas Cowboys U High School Camp Head Coach.
    • Jason Witten Youth Football Camp in Elizabethton, Tenn. – his hometown.
    • Dallas Cowboys Early Thanksgiving Day Meal at The Salvation Army.
    • Annual team Holiday Hospital Visits.
    • Salvation Army Angel Tree Christmas Program.
    • Dallas Cowboys Kickoff Luncheon and Cowboys Family Cookbook benefitting Happy Hill Farm.
    • Make-A-Wish Foundation of North Texas.
  • I think Romo does a great job.. He sounds like a regular mid western joe you know in a bar or something.. He doesnt have that boring , stoic approach... Like Jim Nantz Who I absolutely cannot stand...

  • I thought Romo came across as trying to hard to be the " smartest guy in the room". Kind of a know it all syndrome. 

    @jcam222 said:

    I thought Romo came across as trying to hard to be the " smartest guy in the room". Kind of a know it all syndrome. 

    You know actually, I was interested to look at this more and that was legit one of the things people knocked him for to include Brent. Basically, Romo was excellent this season in calling plays out before they happen. I absolutely love it, but the "criticism" is that the viewer will get tired of him doing that. Here's an article that breaks it down pretty well:

    https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/cbs-tony-romo-nfl-predicting-plays-jim-nantz-good-broadcaster-experts-say-yes-no

    I don't buy it, but it's an interesting point. As noted I thought he breathed some really fresh air into the booth.

  • I'll be curious to see if they stay with a 2 man booth or if they go to a 3 man booth on MNF. I wonder how JT is feeling right now? Although in his tomahawk podcast (which is excellent btw), he kind of mentioned that ESPN sort of said in not so many words that WItten was the front runner.

  • @jcam222 said:

    I thought Romo came across as trying to hard to be the " smartest guy in the room". Kind of a know it all syndrome. 

    You know actually, I was interested to look at this more and that was legit one of the things people knocked him for to include Brent. Basically, Romo was excellent this season in calling plays out before they happen. I absolutely love it, but the "criticism" is that the viewer will get tired of him doing that. Here's an article that breaks it down pretty well:

    https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/cbs-tony-romo-nfl-predicting-plays-jim-nantz-good-broadcaster-experts-say-yes-no

    I don't buy it, but it's an interesting point. As noted I thought he breathed some really fresh air into the booth.

    @jrb12711 said:

    You know actually, I was interested to look at this more and that was legit one of the things people knocked him for to include Brent. Basically, Romo was excellent this season in calling plays out before they happen. I absolutely love it, but the "criticism" is that the viewer will get tired of him doing that. Here's an article that breaks it down pretty well:

    https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/cbs-tony-romo-nfl-predicting-plays-jim-nantz-good-broadcaster-experts-say-yes-no

    I don't buy it, but it's an interesting point. As noted I thought he breathed some really fresh air into the booth.

    All I hear from the "pro" broadcasters complaining is Romo has an ability that they do not possess. Jealousy trumps talent.

  • I thought Romo was the best announcer in the league last year. I don't know much about Witten other than as a player, but the networks must have had their eye on him. Good for him. Future Hall of Famer.

    Zombo

  • I'll be curious to see if they stay with a 2 man booth or if they go to a 3 man booth on MNF. I wonder how JT is feeling right now? Although in his tomahawk podcast (which is excellent btw), he kind of mentioned that ESPN sort of said in not so many words that WItten was the front runner.

    @bigalow80 said:

    I'll be curious to see if they stay with a 2 man booth or if they go to a 3 man booth on MNF. I wonder how JT is feeling right now? Although in his tomahawk podcast (which is excellent btw), he kind of mentioned that ESPN sort of said in not so many words that WItten was the front runner.

    OJ, I hear, is available for employment.  He is an MNF alumni.  Why not bring him back....and pair him with Joe Namath again.

  • I thought Romo was the best announcer in the league last year. I don't know much about Witten other than as a player, but the networks must have had their eye on him. Good for him. Future Hall of Famer.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I thought Romo was the best announcer in the league last year. I don't know much about Witten other than as a player, but the networks must have had their eye on him. Good for him. Future Hall of Famer.

    Zombo

    At first I wasn't sure about Romo but have become to like his style, maybe Whitten will be a similar type of announcer.

  • I thought Romo was the best announcer in the league last year. I don't know much about Witten other than as a player, but the networks must have had their eye on him. Good for him. Future Hall of Famer.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I thought Romo was the best announcer in the league last year. I don't know much about Witten other than as a player, but the networks must have had their eye on him. Good for him. Future Hall of Famer.

    Zombo

    And it is obvious that he spends a lot of time viewing recordings of the teams he is going to be announcing. How else do you think he is so accurate with what he sees and what he thinks they might do? He is very astute and he is also studious. I think next season I may put up a thread each week asking members to review upcoming opponents as to what they like to do both sides of the ball. I'm going to start recording at least the game they play before they play us to see if I can gain some insight. It was obvious almost every week that Garrett was playing that every offense spent a lot of time trying to get rid of the ball within 2 seconds or less to keep him away from the QB. And our crappy CB's made that far easier than it should have been.

  • I think he's a bit in that Bernie mode.. Calls stuff out before it happens.. I miss Bernie on the broadcasts..

  • I'll be curious to see if they stay with a 2 man booth or if they go to a 3 man booth on MNF. I wonder how JT is feeling right now? Although in his tomahawk podcast (which is excellent btw), he kind of mentioned that ESPN sort of said in not so many words that WItten was the front runner.

    @bigalow80 said:

    I'll be curious to see if they stay with a 2 man booth or if they go to a 3 man booth on MNF. I wonder how JT is feeling right now? Although in his tomahawk podcast (which is excellent btw), he kind of mentioned that ESPN sort of said in not so many words that WItten was the front runner.

    Which honestly, as much as we all love JT I get totally. Witten is just going to appeal to a larger audience as long as he can hold his own in the booth there. 

    I wouldn't mind keeping JT on more of the local stuff though, he's going to rock it wherever he goes.