POLL: When will Baker start?
-
What happens in camp if Baker is clearly better than Tie Rod?
I am not stirring up schidt here, BUT.............if we are to believe anything about Mayfield, he is a balls-to-the-wall fighter. So what happens if he shows all the other QBs up? Does he sit the bench? And if he does sit regardless of his performance, will it make him bitter? If he shows Tie Rod up, would he deserve to start? Would that be another Kizer fiasco?
The Browns have set themselves up for another QB controversy IF Mayfield shows the veteran up. Especially if Tie Rod stars and once again the Browns find themselves in Goosegg town.
What happens in camp if Baker is clearly better than Tie Rod?
I am not stirring up schidt here, BUT.............if we are to believe anything about Mayfield, he is a balls-to-the-wall fighter. So what happens if he shows all the other QBs up? Does he sit the bench? And if he does sit regardless of his performance, will it make him bitter? If he shows Tie Rod up, would he deserve to start? Would that be another Kizer fiasco?
The Browns have set themselves up for another QB controversy IF Mayfield shows the veteran up. Especially if Tie Rod stars and once again the Browns find themselves in Goosegg town.
How will we evaluate Mayfield as better than Taylor before the start of the season? As we all know, preseason success is no indication of success during the actual NFL season. Taking this into account, I would agree that, barring disaster, Tyrod should be the starter. Not necessarily for the entire season as I don't think that's likely. But I don't think that the evaluation can reliably be made early on. So, it's good for Baker to watch and learn the NFL game and learn. That said, I expect he will be the starter by week 6-8.
I don't think this transition would cause controversy. It would be a completely sensible way to move forward.
-
I don't know if some of you guys are Millennials and Gen-Xs or what, but honestly, and I mean this respectfully, a lot of this tentative Baker stuff is really lacking testosterone and courage.
Baptism by fire doesn't ruin Quarterbacks. In only fast forwards the timeline for exposing schidt QBs. I disagree with Hoorta that Browns fans are impatient. 1 - 32 and we still show up? Schidt since 1999...................and we are impatient? WTF?
Look, if you are one of these people who believes in sitting a QB for a year to let him learn and develop, then honestly, you have to be critical of Dorsey. If bringing up a QB methodically was Dorsey's plan, then he should not have drafted a QB this year. He should have let Tie Rod establish himself with the team. He should have let all these new cats gel together, and THEN brought in a young QB in 2019, once the team was stabilized.........
Throwing a rookie quarterback in the fire especially on a bad team can be a disaster, remember Tim Couch? He got the living crap knocked out of him especially in years 1 and 2 (see stats, yes numbers). It can affect your entire professional career.
Passing
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate Sk
▼Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV Career 62 59 22-37-0 1025 1714 59.8 11131 64 3.7 67 3.9 79 6.5 5.5 10.9 179.5 75.1 166 1119 5.33 4.40 8.8 10 11 32 1999 22 CLE QB 2 15 14 2-12-0 223 399 55.9 2447 15 3.8 13 3.3 78 6.1 5.4 11.0 163.1 73.2 56 359 4.59 3.96 12.3 2 2 8 2001 24 CLE QB 2 16 16 7-9-0 272 454 59.9 3040 17 3.7 21 4.6 78 6.7 5.4 11.2 190.0 73.1 51 353 5.32 4.12 10.1 3 3 9 2002 25 CLE QB 2 14 14 8-6-0 273 443 61.6 2842 18 4.1 18 4.1 78 6.4 5.4 10.4 203.0 76.8 30 213 5.56 4.61 6.3 3 4 8 2003 26 CLE QB 2 10 8 3-5-0 120 203 59.1 1319 7 3.4 6 3.0 71 6.5 5.9 11.0 131.9 77.6 19 116 5.42 4.83 8.6 1 1 4 2000 23 CLE qb 2 7 7 2-5-0 137 215 63.7 1483 7 3.3 9 4.2 79 6.9 5.7 10.8 211.9 77.3 10 78 6.24 5.07 4.4 1 1 3 Bernie Kosar on the other hand was a gifted young quarterback on a COMPLETE team, different results. Same with Dan Marino and a very few others.
If you can sit a rookie quarterback it is a good idea. How would Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Matt Hasslebeck, Steve Young and others have fared as the 2017 BROWNS starter? Not good and would have fled the team at the first opportunity. It has virtually nothing to do with testosterone.

Oh I'm an older Boomer, son.
Throwing a rookie quarterback in the fire especially on a bad team can be a disaster, remember Tim Couch? He got the living crap knocked out of him especially in years 1 and 2 (see stats, yes numbers). It can affect your entire professional career.
Passing
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate Sk
▼Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV Career 62 59 22-37-0 1025 1714 59.8 11131 64 3.7 67 3.9 79 6.5 5.5 10.9 179.5 75.1 166 1119 5.33 4.40 8.8 10 11 32 1999 22 CLE QB 2 15 14 2-12-0 223 399 55.9 2447 15 3.8 13 3.3 78 6.1 5.4 11.0 163.1 73.2 56 359 4.59 3.96 12.3 2 2 8 2001 24 CLE QB 2 16 16 7-9-0 272 454 59.9 3040 17 3.7 21 4.6 78 6.7 5.4 11.2 190.0 73.1 51 353 5.32 4.12 10.1 3 3 9 2002 25 CLE QB 2 14 14 8-6-0 273 443 61.6 2842 18 4.1 18 4.1 78 6.4 5.4 10.4 203.0 76.8 30 213 5.56 4.61 6.3 3 4 8 2003 26 CLE QB 2 10 8 3-5-0 120 203 59.1 1319 7 3.4 6 3.0 71 6.5 5.9 11.0 131.9 77.6 19 116 5.42 4.83 8.6 1 1 4 2000 23 CLE qb 2 7 7 2-5-0 137 215 63.7 1483 7 3.3 9 4.2 79 6.9 5.7 10.8 211.9 77.3 10 78 6.24 5.07 4.4 1 1 3 Bernie Kosar on the other hand was a gifted young quarterback on a COMPLETE team, different results. Same with Dan Marino and a very few others.
If you can sit a rookie quarterback it is a good idea. How would Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Matt Hasslebeck, Steve Young and others have fared as the 2017 BROWNS starter? Not good and would have fled the team at the first opportunity. It has virtually nothing to do with testosterone.

Oh I'm an older Boomer, son.
I mean (and it pains me to say I'm with Ghoolie) the NFL has changed a ton in the past decade or so. The latest guy you have on your list (Romo) began his career in the NFL in 2004. Almost Every young and coming QB in recent memory has started from day 1 OR no more than the latter part of year 1 (like Goff). The only exceptions (and granted, I'm doing this off the top of my head) I can think of are Jimmy G. and Mahomes (who we'll see about) in KC. It's a trend that can't be ignored. I'm not saying Mayfield should start week 1, in fact I've always lauded over Taylor and his ability to play the game. But the days of QB's riding the pine just aren't there.
-
Yes the NFL does change over the decades, always has and that will continue. On the present quarterback situation in the NFL there is a real more recent demand which shows in younger players being thrown into the starting lineup earlier than ever and there are plenty more ~35+ year old guys about to retire (Brady, Roethlisberger, Brees - eventually among others).
Is there an advantage to starting rookies, no if you can wait. I think they are having a tougher time finding 32 experienced starters and 32 backups. Colleges are going to more spread of fences and less traditional drop back passing.
Another thing is that players in ALL positions are coming out of college better trained since high school and better conditioned than ever and that trend will continue.
But for teams like Cleveland there is a risk to rushing a quarterback out on the field too early in this "win now or else" coaching philosophy. I still say in the long run the teams are better off developing quarterbacks let's see if that happens in years to come. The 2018 QB class will be an interesting case study there.
-
I believe he won't see enough reps in the 3 hole. Hue already said they won't share reps equally. I do believe by seasons end Baker will take the job away from Tyrod.
-
What happens in camp if Baker is clearly better than Tie Rod?
I am not stirring up schidt here, BUT.............if we are to believe anything about Mayfield, he is a balls-to-the-wall fighter. So what happens if he shows all the other QBs up? Does he sit the bench? And if he does sit regardless of his performance, will it make him bitter? If he shows Tie Rod up, would he deserve to start? Would that be another Kizer fiasco?
The Browns have set themselves up for another QB controversy IF Mayfield shows the veteran up. Especially if Tie Rod stars and once again the Browns find themselves in Goosegg town.
What happens in camp if Baker is clearly better than Tie Rod?
I am not stirring up schidt here, BUT.............if we are to believe anything about Mayfield, he is a balls-to-the-wall fighter. So what happens if he shows all the other QBs up? Does he sit the bench? And if he does sit regardless of his performance, will it make him bitter? If he shows Tie Rod up, would he deserve to start? Would that be another Kizer fiasco?
The Browns have set themselves up for another QB controversy IF Mayfield shows the veteran up. Especially if Tie Rod stars and once again the Browns find themselves in Goosegg town.
How will we evaluate Mayfield as better than Taylor before the start of the season? As we all know, preseason success is no indication of success during the actual NFL season. Taking this into account, I would agree with Jackson that, barring disaster, Tyrod should be the starter. Not necessarily for the entire season as I don't think that's likely. But I don't think that the evaluation can reliably be made early on. So, it's good for Baker to watch and learn the NFL game and learn. That said, I expect he will be the starter by week 6-8.
I don't think this transition would cause controversy. It would be a completely sensible way to move forward towards our future QB..
-
I believe he won't see enough reps in the 3 hole. Hue already said they won't share reps equally. I do believe by seasons end Baker will take the job away from Tyrod.
I believe he won't see enough reps in the 3 hole. Hue already said they won't share reps equally. I do believe by seasons end Baker will take the job away from Tyrod.
I can see Mayfield as the #2 guy, the one snap away guy sooner than later especially since Cleveland has such a tough time attracting good FA QBs.
I was hoping for an A. Smith guy with Kizer and his one year as a professional QB as #1 & 2 but that sure never happened.
Let's hope this draft filled enough holes to be a serious team in 2019.
-
What happens in camp if Baker is clearly better than Tie Rod?
I am not stirring up schidt here, BUT.............if we are to believe anything about Mayfield, he is a balls-to-the-wall fighter. So what happens if he shows all the other QBs up? Does he sit the bench? And if he does sit regardless of his performance, will it make him bitter? If he shows Tie Rod up, would he deserve to start? Would that be another Kizer fiasco?
The Browns have set themselves up for another QB controversy IF Mayfield shows the veteran up. Especially if Tie Rod stars and once again the Browns find themselves in Goosegg town.
How will we evaluate Mayfield as better than Taylor before the start of the season? As we all know, preseason success is no indication of success during the actual NFL season. Taking this into account, I would agree with Jackson that, barring disaster, Tyrod should be the starter. Not necessarily for the entire season as I don't think that's likely. But I don't think that the evaluation can reliably be made early on. So, it's good for Baker to watch and learn the NFL game and learn. That said, I expect he will be the starter by week 6-8.
I don't think this transition would cause controversy. It would be a completely sensible way to move forward towards our future QB..
How will we evaluate Mayfield as better than Taylor before the start of the season? As we all know, preseason success is no indication of success during the actual NFL season. Taking this into account, I would agree that, barring disaster, Tyrod should be the starter. Not necessarily for the entire season as I don't think that's likely. But I don't think that the evaluation can reliably be made early on. So, it's good for Baker to watch and learn the NFL game and learn. That said, I expect he will be the starter by week 6-8.
I don't think this transition would cause controversy. It would be a completely sensible way to move forward towards our future QB..
The 0-fer Kizer fiasco as some lie to put it was largely due to not having a reliable deep receiving core, hopefully that will be better plus Kizer needed more experience obviously and the play calling was very suspect at times.
And I've always believed you need offence, defense and special teams to be successful the secondary didn't help the cause and a lot of come from behind scenarios and too many poor field positions. I also wanted the best DE available.
This won't be all Mayfield at least for the first half of the season I'm afraid the fans better get ready for a 4-6 win season anything over that will be well....exciting?
-
I believe he won't see enough reps in the 3 hole. Hue already said they won't share reps equally. I do believe by seasons end Baker will take the job away from Tyrod.
I can see Mayfield as the #2 guy, the one snap away guy sooner than later especially since Cleveland has such a tough time attracting good FA QBs.
I was hoping for an A. Smith guy with Kizer and his one year as a professional QB as #1 & 2 but that sure never happened.
Let's hope this draft filled enough holes to be a serious team in 2019.
I can see Mayfield as the #2 guy, the one snap away guy sooner than later especially since Cleveland has such a tough time attracting good FA QBs.
I was hoping for an A. Smith guy with Kizer and his one year as a professional QB as #1 & 2 but that sure never happened.
Let's hope this draft filled enough holes to be a serious team in 2019.
how about filling enough holes to be a serious team in 2018?
-
I can see Mayfield as the #2 guy, the one snap away guy sooner than later especially since Cleveland has such a tough time attracting good FA QBs.
I was hoping for an A. Smith guy with Kizer and his one year as a professional QB as #1 & 2 but that sure never happened.
Let's hope this draft filled enough holes to be a serious team in 2019.
how about filling enough holes to be a serious team in 2018?
-
I can see Mayfield as the #2 guy, the one snap away guy sooner than later especially since Cleveland has such a tough time attracting good FA QBs.
I was hoping for an A. Smith guy with Kizer and his one year as a professional QB as #1 & 2 but that sure never happened.
Let's hope this draft filled enough holes to be a serious team in 2019.
how about filling enough holes to be a serious team in 2018?
-
The operative term used by Gooley what's the word camp. Nothing that Mayfield does in camp will be enough to show up tie rod Taylor. Only with Mayfield does in real NFL regular season games matters. If they think that he has developed enough then he may start to see the field somewhere around mid season. That should be earliest and it is only what he does in the regular season that matters
The problem is- the horrendous impatience of the majority of Browns fans. Let's get real- we're staring an 0-2 start to the season, and how many more losses will it take for the fans to start screaming for Baker the Savior to take over?
The problem is- the horrendous impatience of the majority of Browns fans. Let's get real- we're staring an 0-2 start to the season, and how many more losses will it take for the fans to start screaming for Baker the Savior to take over?
Let’s not forget the Hue factor.
The man is 1-31, and If Tyrod starts to flounder and the Browns are 0-4 or 0-5 out of the gate, I don’t think Hue will think twice about putting in Mayfield.
Especially if Mayfield is doing well in practice.
-
The problem is- the horrendous impatience of the majority of Browns fans. Let's get real- we're staring an 0-2 start to the season, and how many more losses will it take for the fans to start screaming for Baker the Savior to take over?
Let’s not forget the Hue factor.
The man is 1-31, and If Tyrod starts to flounder and the Browns are 0-4 or 0-5 out of the gate, I don’t think Hue will think twice about putting in Mayfield.
Especially if Mayfield is doing well in practice.
Let’s not forget the Hue factor.
The man is 1-31, and If Tyrod starts to flounder and the Browns are 0-4 or 0-5 out of the gate, I don’t think Hue will think twice about putting in Mayfield.
Especially if Mayfield is doing well in practice.
It won't save his job if he starts out like that. JH may not want Hue to get his hands on his new prize possession and fuyuck him up.
-
I can see Mayfield as the #2 guy, the one snap away guy sooner than later especially since Cleveland has such a tough time attracting good FA QBs.
I was hoping for an A. Smith guy with Kizer and his one year as a professional QB as #1 & 2 but that sure never happened.
Let's hope this draft filled enough holes to be a serious team in 2019.
how about filling enough holes to be a serious team in 2018?
-
Think about it..
Darnold-20
Rosen-21
Jackson-21
Mayfield-23
Not saying that he is old by any means, but for a prospect who is gonna sit and learn, you would think they would of taken someone a year or two younger..
My prediction is he is starting by week 8 if we are out of it. Gotta see what you have if Tyrod and Stanton can't produce.
Your thoughts?
-
Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers weren't starters until they were 25...
-
No....Brian Sipe was drafted at the age of 23....then spent two years on the Taxi Squad.....then another couple of years playing here and there.
He did not become the Browns full time starter until age 27
....and he is still the Browns all time leader in games started, attempts, completions etc.
It is not too late:
Passing
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV Career 125 112 57-55-0 1944 3439 56.5 23713 154 4.5 149 4.3 74 6.9 5.8 12.2 189.7 74.8 224 1889 5.96 4.97 6.1 17 23 88 1974 25 CLE qb 17 10 5 2-3-0 59 108 54.6 603 1 0.9 7 6.5 37 5.6 2.9 10.2 60.3 47.0 15 122 3.91 1.51 12.2 1 2 3 1975 26 CLE qb 17 7 2 0-2-0 45 88 51.1 427 1 1.1 3 3.4 22 4.9 3.5 9.5 61.0 54.5 8 58 3.84 2.65 8.3 2 1976 27 CLE QB 17 14 12 7-5-0 178 312 57.1 2113 17 5.4 14 4.5 52 6.8 5.8 11.9 150.9 77.3 16 142 6.01 5.13 4.9 1 1 10 1977 28 CLE QB 17 9 9 5-4-0 112 195 57.4 1233 9 4.6 14 7.2 52 6.3 4.0 11.0 137.0 61.8 16 114 5.30 3.17 7.6 2 2 6 1978 29 CLE QB 17 16 16 8-8-0 222 399 55.6 2906 21 5.3 15 3.8 69 7.3 6.6 13.1 181.6 80.7 29 229 6.25 5.66 6.8 2 2 12 1979 30 CLE QB 17 16 16 9-7-0 286 535 53.5 3793 28 5.2 26 4.9 74 7.1 5.9 13.3 237.1 73.4 43 347 5.96 4.91 7.4 5 7 14 1980*+ 31 CLE QB 17 16 16 11-5-0 337 554 60.8 4132 30 5.4 14 2.5 65 7.5 7.4 12.3 258.3 91.4 23 217 6.79 6.73 4.0 3 4 16 1981 32 CLE QB 17 16 16 5-11-0 313 567 55.2 3876 17 3.0 25 4.4 62 6.8 5.5 12.4 242.3 68.2 34 310 5.93 4.63 5.7 2 2 10 1982 33 CLE QB 17 6 6 2-4-0 101 185 54.6 1064 4 2.2 8 4.3 40 5.8 4.2 10.5 177.3 60.7 13 117 4.78 3.37 6.6 0 1 3 1983 34 CLE QB 17 15 14 8-6-0 291 496 58.7 3566 26 5.2 23 4.6 66 7.2 6.2 12.3 237.7 79.1 27 233 6.37 5.39 5.2 1 2 12 -
Think about it..
Darnold-20
Rosen-21
Jackson-21
Mayfield-23
Not saying that he is old by any means, but for a prospect who is gonna sit and learn, you would think they would of taken someone a year or two younger..
My prediction is he is starting by week 8 if we are out of it. Gotta see what you have if Tyrod and Stanton can't produce.
Your thoughts?
Not saying that he is old by any means, but for a prospect who is gonna sit and learn, you would think they would of taken someone a year or two younger..
My prediction is he is starting by week 8 if we are out of it. Gotta see what you have if Tyrod and Stanton can't produce.
Your thoughts?
Great question...
Assuming Mayfield is ready, i.e., knows the playbook, can get the playcalls out, can work from under Center and can make pre-snap reads, then once we are eliminated from the playoffs we can start looking for Baker to start.
But Mayfield has to be ready first.
We have 6 games after our Week 11 Bye Week... I think those are likely his.
-
Think about it..
Darnold-20
Rosen-21
Jackson-21
Mayfield-23
Not saying that he is old by any means, but for a prospect who is gonna sit and learn, you would think they would of taken someone a year or two younger..
My prediction is he is starting by week 8 if we are out of it. Gotta see what you have if Tyrod and Stanton can't produce.
Your thoughts?
Think about it..
Darnold-20
Rosen-21
Jackson-21
Mayfield-23
Not saying that he is old by any means, but for a prospect who is gonna sit and learn, you would think they would of taken someone a year or two younger..
My prediction is he is starting by week 8 if we are out of it. Gotta see what you have if Tyrod and Stanton can't produce.
Your thoughts?
That would be a poor reason (age) by a year or two, to pass on a player. I don't know what the Browns were thinking taking a flyer on Brandon Weeden who was 29 when we drafted him...
The plus is Mayfield is the only one of the five that passes the Parcells test of # years as a starter.
Great question...
Assuming Mayfield is ready, i.e., knows the playbook, can get the playcalls out, can work from under Center and can make pre-snap reads, then once we are eliminated from the playoffs we can start looking for Baker to start.
But Mayfield has to be ready first.
We have 6 games after our Week 11 Bye Week... I think those are likely his.
Looking at the schedule, hard to predict the Browns record at the bye. The rose colored glasses folks could say 7-3, or the boo birds 3-7. I'm seeing an 0-2 start Tour.
-
Not saying that he is old by any means, but for a prospect who is gonna sit and learn, you would think they would of taken someone a year or two younger..
My prediction is he is starting by week 8 if we are out of it. Gotta see what you have if Tyrod and Stanton can't produce.
Your thoughts?
Great question...
Assuming Mayfield is ready, i.e., knows the playbook, can get the playcalls out, can work from under Center and can make pre-snap reads, then once we are eliminated from the playoffs we can start looking for Baker to start.
But Mayfield has to be ready first.
We have 6 games after our Week 11 Bye Week... I think those are likely his.
Great question...
Assuming Mayfield is ready, i.e., knows the playbook, can get the playcalls out, can work from under Center and can make pre-snap reads, then once we are eliminated from the playoffs we can start looking for Baker to start.
But Mayfield has to be ready first.
We have 6 games after our Week 11 Bye Week... I think those are likely his.
IF he can do everything you say above AND overall move the offense better than Tyrod he is the day one starter
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login