Skip to content

POLL: When will Baker start?

The Browns Board
153 43 5.2k
  • What happens in camp if Baker is clearly better than Tie Rod?

    I am not stirring up schidt here, BUT.............if we are to believe anything about Mayfield, he is a balls-to-the-wall fighter. So what happens if he shows all the other QBs up? Does he sit the bench? And if he does sit regardless of his performance, will it make him bitter? If he shows Tie Rod up, would he deserve to start? Would that be another Kizer fiasco?

    The Browns have set themselves up for another QB controversy IF Mayfield shows the veteran up. Especially if Tie Rod stars and once again the Browns find themselves in Goosegg town.

  • All valid questions, and in an organization with a stable foundation would be considered “a good problem to have.”

    It’s not like Tyrod and Baker are the new guys. Half the team are new guys.

    So it comes down to how this organization handles this otherwise good problem to have, and l can see scenarios where it doesn’t go as well as we’d like.

  •  The operative term used by Gooley what's the word camp. Nothing that Mayfield does in camp will be enough to show up tie rod Taylor. Only with Mayfield does in real NFL regular  season games matters. If they think that he has developed enough then he may start to see the field somewhere around mid season. That should be earliest and it is only what he does in the regular season that matters

  •  The operative term used by Gooley what's the word camp. Nothing that Mayfield does in camp will be enough to show up tie rod Taylor. Only with Mayfield does in real NFL regular  season games matters. If they think that he has developed enough then he may start to see the field somewhere around mid season. That should be earliest and it is only what he does in the regular season that matters

    @the-gipper said:

     The operative term used by Gooley what's the word camp. Nothing that Mayfield does in camp will be enough to show up tie rod Taylor. Only with Mayfield does in real NFL regular  season games matters. If they think that he has developed enough then he may start to see the field somewhere around mid season. That should be earliest and it is only what he does in the regular season that matters

    The problem is- the horrendous impatience of the majority of Browns fans. Let's get real- we're staring an 0-2 start to the season, and how many more losses will it take for the fans to start screaming for Baker the Savior to take over? 

  •  The operative term used by Gooley what's the word camp. Nothing that Mayfield does in camp will be enough to show up tie rod Taylor. Only with Mayfield does in real NFL regular  season games matters. If they think that he has developed enough then he may start to see the field somewhere around mid season. That should be earliest and it is only what he does in the regular season that matters

    @the-gipper said:

     The operative term used by Gooley what's the word camp. Nothing that Mayfield does in camp will be enough to show up tie rod Taylor. Only with Mayfield does in real NFL regular  season games matters. If they think that he has developed enough then he may start to see the field somewhere around mid season. That should be earliest and it is only what he does in the regular season that matters

    With Tyrod already putting in time with some of our offense to get some chemistry. I truly believe he will be the starter. If Baker comes in a blows it out of the water like Russell Wilson did, then you have to go with the better player. I really think that Baker will not get that chance on purpose. He will be the 3rd qb to start the preseason and maybe jump Stanton. He was brought in as the future and needs to learn all he can. I hope Tyrod has a good year and dont think he has to look over his shoulder. We need to install our system and execute and give confidence all around. Having Hyde and Chubb now will ease the burden just a bit. 

  • @the-gipper said:

     The operative term used by Gooley what's the word camp. Nothing that Mayfield does in camp will be enough to show up tie rod Taylor. Only with Mayfield does in real NFL regular  season games matters. If they think that he has developed enough then he may start to see the field somewhere around mid season. That should be earliest and it is only what he does in the regular season that matters

    The problem is- the horrendous impatience of the majority of Browns fans. Let's get real- we're staring an 0-2 start to the season, and how many more losses will it take for the fans to start screaming for Baker the Savior to take over? 

    @hoorta said:

    The problem is- the horrendous impatience of the majority of Browns fans. Let's get real- we're staring an 0-2 start to the season, and how many more losses will it take for the fans to start screaming for Baker the Savior to take over? 

     Horrendous impatient I don't think so Larry. It's been since 2002 that we have seen our last playoff appearance. Since 1994 that we saw our last playoff win. Longer than that I think since our last division title. I wouldn't call us impatient whatsoever 

  • @hoorta said:

    The problem is- the horrendous impatience of the majority of Browns fans. Let's get real- we're staring an 0-2 start to the season, and how many more losses will it take for the fans to start screaming for Baker the Savior to take over? 

     Horrendous impatient I don't think so Larry. It's been since 2002 that we have seen our last playoff appearance. Since 1994 that we saw our last playoff win. Longer than that I think since our last division title. I wouldn't call us impatient whatsoever 

    @the-gipper said:

     Horrendous impatient I don't think so Larry. It's been since 2002 that we have seen our last playoff appearance. Since 1994 that we saw our last playoff win. Longer than that I think since our last division title. I wouldn't call us impatient whatsoever 

    Yes horrendously impatient they will be....for the reasons you describe.

    The question is if they have the right to be...your reasoning says yes, Hoorta seems to be implying no.

  • What happens in camp if Baker is clearly better than Tie Rod?

    I am not stirring up schidt here, BUT.............if we are to believe anything about Mayfield, he is a balls-to-the-wall fighter. So what happens if he shows all the other QBs up? Does he sit the bench? And if he does sit regardless of his performance, will it make him bitter? If he shows Tie Rod up, would he deserve to start? Would that be another Kizer fiasco?

    The Browns have set themselves up for another QB controversy IF Mayfield shows the veteran up. Especially if Tie Rod stars and once again the Browns find themselves in Goosegg town.

    @ghoolie said:

    .......The Browns have set themselves up for another QB controversy IF Mayfield shows the veteran up. Especially if Tie Rod stars and once again the Browns find themselves in Goosegg town.

    Taylor is not the established veteran BROWNS quarterback and was actually jettisoned away by the Buffalo Bills I don't think that anyone really would care if Mayfield starts if he looks ready. Taylor, Mayfield, Stanton who would really care that much.

    I don't think that there will be any "SAVE TAYLOR" signs in Cleveland. Moot point.

  • I think Taylor starts Week 1, because like it or not, the ship still has Hue's name on it.

    I don't think he'll be taking any risks when he is a few more losses again from getting fired. Taylor isn't going to win games but isn't going to win them either, so let's not touch what will probably work well and let's focus on improving the run game, pass protection, receivers... 

    I think Mayfield starts either because things go really well, he pans out and Hue is on a "safe zone", or because things go really bad and Hue gets fired so let's try the new QB with a coach with no so much pressure.

  • Hue saying Tyrod would be the starter is typical of his mouth running away with him when the cameras are on

    Im still hoping somehow he is fired before camp 

  • I believe there is a strong chance he wins the job outright for week one. Put us on Hard Knocks and he might just do that in the national spotlight. 

  • NFL Network guys were saying that if Mayfield clearly shows better than TT from camp through pre-season, the Browns will start him. But it's a long road and I personally hope he sits on the bench and comes in for "cleanup" on our in the bag wins.😁

  • I would bring Mayfield in by mid season if TT and co don't start off well..

  • I think Taylor starts Week 1, because like it or not, the ship still has Hue's name on it.

    I don't think he'll be taking any risks when he is a few more losses again from getting fired. Taylor isn't going to win games but isn't going to win them either, so let's not touch what will probably work well and let's focus on improving the run game, pass protection, receivers... 

    I think Mayfield starts either because things go really well, he pans out and Hue is on a "safe zone", or because things go really bad and Hue gets fired so let's try the new QB with a coach with no so much pressure.

    @nero said:

    I think Taylor starts Week 1, because like it or not, the ship still has Hue's name on it.

    I don't think he'll be taking any risks when he is a few more losses again from getting fired. Taylor isn't going to win games but isn't going to win them either, so let's not touch what will probably work well and let's focus on improving the run game, pass protection, receivers... 

    I think Mayfield starts either because things go really well, he pans out and Hue is on a "safe zone", or because things go really bad and Hue gets fired so let's try the new QB with a coach with no so much pressure.

    I just hope they don't just do a forced "rookie savior" deal and let Mayfield get killed under live fire like Couch, Kizer and others.

    Please DO NOT listen to all of the fans chatter and let the kid.....yes he is a kid.....develop some before trying any heroics. 2018 will be a rebuilding year so forget any playoff talk for now.

    No established good FA QBs want to come to Cleveland now, ruin this kid and we'll you know, they won't even get a Tyrod Taylor next.

    GO BROWNS 2018 & 2019, we can wait one more year for a .500 team, right? (sorry diehards, no choice)

  • @nero said:

    I think Taylor starts Week 1, because like it or not, the ship still has Hue's name on it.

    I don't think he'll be taking any risks when he is a few more losses again from getting fired. Taylor isn't going to win games but isn't going to win them either, so let's not touch what will probably work well and let's focus on improving the run game, pass protection, receivers... 

    I think Mayfield starts either because things go really well, he pans out and Hue is on a "safe zone", or because things go really bad and Hue gets fired so let's try the new QB with a coach with no so much pressure.

    I just hope they don't just do a forced "rookie savior" deal and let Mayfield get killed under live fire like Couch, Kizer and others.

    Please DO NOT listen to all of the fans chatter and let the kid.....yes he is a kid.....develop some before trying any heroics. 2018 will be a rebuilding year so forget any playoff talk for now.

    No established good FA QBs want to come to Cleveland now, ruin this kid and we'll you know, they won't even get a Tyrod Taylor next.

    GO BROWNS 2018 & 2019, we can wait one more year for a .500 team, right? (sorry diehards, no choice)

    @mjp28 said:

    I just hope they don't just do a forced "rookie savior" deal and let Mayfield get killed under live fire like Couch, Kizer and others.

    Please DO NOT listen to all of the fans chatter and let the kid.....yes he is a kid.....develop some before trying any heroics. 2018 will be a rebuilding year so forget any playoff talk for now.

    No established good FA QBs want to come to Cleveland now, ruin this kid and we'll you know, they won't even get a Tyrod Taylor next.

    GO BROWNS 2018 & 2019, we can wait one more year for a .500 team, right? (sorry diehards, no choice)

    "2018 will be a rebuilding year"

    Yep and when you look at all those LTs in the 2019 draft picks thread you will find our real replacement for Joe Thomas. Building has just started and several of those are better than all of those in a weak 2018 OL class.

  • I would bring Mayfield in by mid season if TT and co don't start off well..

    @nickers said:

    I would bring Mayfield in by mid season if TT and co don't start off well..

    And so it begins 😁

  • @nickers said:

    I would bring Mayfield in by mid season if TT and co don't start off well..

    And so it begins 😁

    @londonbrown said:

    And so it begins 😁

    Without a padless snap being taken.

  • My prediction is that if we’re .500 or below by the bye week, Baker will start after it.

    That’s assuming Tyrod stays healthy the entire time.

    Also, I’m predicting 5-6 wins and if we get to that, Hue stays. 4 or less and he’s gone

  • My prediction is that if we’re .500 or below by the bye week, Baker will start after it.

    That’s assuming Tyrod stays healthy the entire time.

    Also, I’m predicting 5-6 wins and if we get to that, Hue stays. 4 or less and he’s gone

    @lionofbuddha said:

    My prediction is that if we’re .500 or below by the bye week, Baker will start after it.

    That’s assuming Tyrod stays healthy the entire time.

    Also, I’m predicting 5-6 wins and if we get to that, Hue stays. 4 or less and he’s gone

    Maybe. Howard guess that has a lot to do with the front office's attitude toward Jackson. The coach seems to love Tyrod given his effusive praise on many different occasions. One would wonder if Dorsey has him on a short leash or not.

    WSS

  • What happens in camp if Baker is clearly better than Tie Rod?

    I am not stirring up schidt here, BUT.............if we are to believe anything about Mayfield, he is a balls-to-the-wall fighter. So what happens if he shows all the other QBs up? Does he sit the bench? And if he does sit regardless of his performance, will it make him bitter? If he shows Tie Rod up, would he deserve to start? Would that be another Kizer fiasco?

    The Browns have set themselves up for another QB controversy IF Mayfield shows the veteran up. Especially if Tie Rod stars and once again the Browns find themselves in Goosegg town.

    @ghoolie said:

    What happens in camp if Baker is clearly better than Tie Rod?

    I don't see that happening.

    The NFL game is different from what Baker was doing in college.  Rosen might be a different story...but we didn't draft Rosen.

    TieRod will practice with the ones.  TieRod will play preseason games with the ones.  Baker will get into preseason games and play but that's about it.

    This isn't last year where we had a QB room of first and 2nd year bums who'd never one a football game.  (of course we still have Hue....the quarterback phucker upper)