Skip to content

Best Conceal Carry Pistol

Barber Shop Talk
66 7 2.3k
  • @mjp28 said:

    A lot of cool 1911 looking models in various calibers out there. 

    My Browning

    WSS

    20180604_205034.jpg

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @westside-steve said:

    My Browning

    WSS

    20180604_205034.jpg

    In Texas the LTC (License to Carry) allows you to openly carry anything so that would be fine here. That being said I would never do so because I'd rather it be a "surprise" for any idiot that decides to pull a gun on me. That is also why I purchased a 9mm that looks like a toy. I don't want to be taken seriously until AFTER the first shot.

    That being said I'm jealous of that Browning Steve. Very nice pistol. I'm still sorry my grandfather's Browning 20 gauge semi-auto shotgun went to my younger brother.

  • @westside-steve said:

    My Browning

    WSS

    20180604_205034.jpg

    In Texas the LTC (License to Carry) allows you to openly carry anything so that would be fine here. That being said I would never do so because I'd rather it be a "surprise" for any idiot that decides to pull a gun on me. That is also why I purchased a 9mm that looks like a toy. I don't want to be taken seriously until AFTER the first shot.

    That being said I'm jealous of that Browning Steve. Very nice pistol. I'm still sorry my grandfather's Browning 20 gauge semi-auto shotgun went to my younger brother.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @texasag1969 said:

    In Texas the LTC (License to Carry) allows you to openly carry anything so that would be fine here. That being said I would never do so because I'd rather it be a "surprise" for any idiot that decides to pull a gun on me. That is also why I purchased a 9mm that looks like a toy. I don't want to be taken seriously until AFTER the first shot.

    That being said I'm jealous of that Browning Steve. Very nice pistol. I'm still sorry my grandfather's Browning 20 gauge semi-auto shotgun went to my younger brother.

    I have my grandfather's Iver Johnson shotgun from the late 1800s. Took it to get adjusted and cleaned up but the guy at the gun shop said it would be better off staying on the wall. Also have his Iver Johnson sealed 8 22 pistol.

    WSS

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #54

    20180605_081720.jpg

  • @texasag1969 said:

    In Texas the LTC (License to Carry) allows you to openly carry anything so that would be fine here. That being said I would never do so because I'd rather it be a "surprise" for any idiot that decides to pull a gun on me. That is also why I purchased a 9mm that looks like a toy. I don't want to be taken seriously until AFTER the first shot.

    That being said I'm jealous of that Browning Steve. Very nice pistol. I'm still sorry my grandfather's Browning 20 gauge semi-auto shotgun went to my younger brother.

    I have my grandfather's Iver Johnson shotgun from the late 1800s. Took it to get adjusted and cleaned up but the guy at the gun shop said it would be better off staying on the wall. Also have his Iver Johnson sealed 8 22 pistol.

    WSS

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #55

    @westside-steve said:

    I have my grandfather's Iver Johnson shotgun from the late 1800s. Took it to get adjusted and cleaned up but the guy at the gun shop said it would be better off staying on the wall. Also have his Iver Johnson sealed 8 22 pistol.

    WSS

    My other brother inherited an exterior double hammered 10 gauge shotgun and it has a prominent place on his fireplace mantle. I will be there next month and see exactly who the maker was, but I know it was from around the 1880's or 90's.

    EDIT: They got the guns and the vintage cars and I got the gold ring that has a diamond for each of his 5 kids embedded in it. LOL!?

  • @westside-steve said:

    I have my grandfather's Iver Johnson shotgun from the late 1800s. Took it to get adjusted and cleaned up but the guy at the gun shop said it would be better off staying on the wall. Also have his Iver Johnson sealed 8 22 pistol.

    WSS

    My other brother inherited an exterior double hammered 10 gauge shotgun and it has a prominent place on his fireplace mantle. I will be there next month and see exactly who the maker was, but I know it was from around the 1880's or 90's.

    EDIT: They got the guns and the vintage cars and I got the gold ring that has a diamond for each of his 5 kids embedded in it. LOL!?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #56

    @texasag1969 said:

    My other brother inherited an exterior double hammered 10 gauge shotgun and it has a prominent place on his fireplace mantle. I will be there next month and see exactly who the maker was, but I know it was from around the 1880's or 90's.

    EDIT: They got the guns and the vintage cars and I got the gold ring that has a diamond for each of his 5 kids embedded in it. LOL!?

    OMG an old 10 ga! I remember as a kid being in our attic and picking up a very old 10 ga. single shot shotgun. 

    My dad said don't ever try and shoot that it almost blew up on your Uncle Nick.....I never knew if he was kidding or just keeping me from trying it out.  Mantle gun.

    .......oh my grandfather was born in 1880 I think the gun went way back. The metallurgy wasn't as consistent on everyday pieces back then as it is today.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    My other brother inherited an exterior double hammered 10 gauge shotgun and it has a prominent place on his fireplace mantle. I will be there next month and see exactly who the maker was, but I know it was from around the 1880's or 90's.

    EDIT: They got the guns and the vintage cars and I got the gold ring that has a diamond for each of his 5 kids embedded in it. LOL!?

    OMG an old 10 ga! I remember as a kid being in our attic and picking up a very old 10 ga. single shot shotgun. 

    My dad said don't ever try and shoot that it almost blew up on your Uncle Nick.....I never knew if he was kidding or just keeping me from trying it out.  Mantle gun.

    .......oh my grandfather was born in 1880 I think the gun went way back. The metallurgy wasn't as consistent on everyday pieces back then as it is today.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @mjp28 said:

    OMG an old 10 ga! I remember as a kid being in our attic and picking up a very old 10 ga. single shot shotgun. 

    My dad said don't ever try and shoot that it almost blew up on your Uncle Nick.....I never knew if he was kidding or just keeping me from trying it out.  Mantle gun.

    .......oh my grandfather was born in 1880 I think the gun went way back. The metallurgy wasn't as consistent on everyday pieces back then as it is today.

    Old Gramp gave us the same warning that modern ammunition should never be fired through it because it might not hold up. So it's my brother's mantle gun. Looks good up there. Wish I could remember the maker, but my brother is in Europe right now visiting our sister so I have to wait a couple weeks to ask him to take a look.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #58

    Well boys I passed my License to Carry tests yesterday. 100% on the written test but only 231 out of 250 shooting (50 rounds with 5 points each for a generous "bullseye" from short medium and long distance). But not bad considering I had to use reading glasses to see the sights well enough to focus them on the blurry target (LOL).??

    The instructor told me afterwards that most people choose to qualify with longer barreled pistols because they are more accurate from the medium and long distances. I told him since I was carrying that 3 inch barreled pocket pistol "for reals", then I'd better know what I can do with it under at least some stress like qualifying. He told me I could have a longer pistol and carry open with that license and I replied that I was not about to show my cards to anyone up front. He works full time security and open carries with a uniform & badge, so he understood that logic.

    BTW I decided after reviewing all the data to carry the Cor-Bon 9mm +P 115 gr HP cartridge since it is all one piece copper and has the best combination of FBI recommended penetration and "spread" with very large diameter end results without breaking apart. It tests especially well in 3 in barreled pistols.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #59

    well, selling my two ccw guns to a trusted friend, son of old friends..who, some years ago, I taught gun safety to, shooting and hunting to,

    back when he was a kid. Now he has a nice collection. Really likes his SR something or another.

    I'm going shopping for the next couple of weeks. LC9, glock 43, I think I like the FN...the

    S&W Shield 9 2.0... but it's been a while. My ccw instructor says he will never own a glock - I think it's because they are too expensive for what they are. He carries a .45 - I've shot one a few times - or was it a .40 ...seems more like shooting a cannon. I'm not going to have to protect vs a dinosaur or a rhino. Although, if I we lived in grizzly country....

       Seems that the springfields are very heavy compared. Need 9mm, biggest criteria is long term quality if I ever start practicing out back a good bit more...and how it fits my hand, which, the CTX-1 annoys me greatly with the grip being on the short side.

      I can draw the CTX very, very fast, but the Taurus just feels clumsy. Weird. I've looked at a nice Berretta - but it's pretty fat and bulky.

    I still want my thumb safety....tradition. I read and hear how some 9mm have less recoil per their design... have to look into that more.

    My Wife can shoot, but she isn't that much into it, isn't interested in ccw..yet.

    Which reminds me of a story.

    Decades ago, before we were married, we went on a trip to WV to my Dad's old homeplace in the mountains, below Skyline Drive.

    Went way up the mountain, had my .22 magnum rifle, and asked her if she'd like to shoot it. So, I set up several targets about 20 yards... she was asking how to use the scope, I taught her the basics, then she grinned at me, and hauled off and shot every single target rapid fire, and I stood there, grinning and knowing I'd been teased...she admitted she had worked with an old boyfriend at his uncle's gun shop.

      Right then I knew I'd get the Wifey  business all my days. LOL

    Then there was the time we and a bunch of friends were on a cruise in the Caribbean, and she signed up to shoot skeet off the back deck. She walked up with the shotgun, and I was up on the next deck balcony overlooking them, and some guys below were chuckling and talking about betting each other on how many she would miss. Some rednecks next to me laughed and said she might get knocked down, she wasn't all that big.

      I laughed, shook my head, and advised them to keep their money - she would surprise them. Then she proceeded to nail every single clay pigeon in the series. They were laughing, and congratulating me on having married a real woman. lol

  • well, selling my two ccw guns to a trusted friend, son of old friends..who, some years ago, I taught gun safety to, shooting and hunting to,

    back when he was a kid. Now he has a nice collection. Really likes his SR something or another.

    I'm going shopping for the next couple of weeks. LC9, glock 43, I think I like the FN...the

    S&W Shield 9 2.0... but it's been a while. My ccw instructor says he will never own a glock - I think it's because they are too expensive for what they are. He carries a .45 - I've shot one a few times - or was it a .40 ...seems more like shooting a cannon. I'm not going to have to protect vs a dinosaur or a rhino. Although, if I we lived in grizzly country....

       Seems that the springfields are very heavy compared. Need 9mm, biggest criteria is long term quality if I ever start practicing out back a good bit more...and how it fits my hand, which, the CTX-1 annoys me greatly with the grip being on the short side.

      I can draw the CTX very, very fast, but the Taurus just feels clumsy. Weird. I've looked at a nice Berretta - but it's pretty fat and bulky.

    I still want my thumb safety....tradition. I read and hear how some 9mm have less recoil per their design... have to look into that more.

    My Wife can shoot, but she isn't that much into it, isn't interested in ccw..yet.

    Which reminds me of a story.

    Decades ago, before we were married, we went on a trip to WV to my Dad's old homeplace in the mountains, below Skyline Drive.

    Went way up the mountain, had my .22 magnum rifle, and asked her if she'd like to shoot it. So, I set up several targets about 20 yards... she was asking how to use the scope, I taught her the basics, then she grinned at me, and hauled off and shot every single target rapid fire, and I stood there, grinning and knowing I'd been teased...she admitted she had worked with an old boyfriend at his uncle's gun shop.

      Right then I knew I'd get the Wifey  business all my days. LOL

    Then there was the time we and a bunch of friends were on a cruise in the Caribbean, and she signed up to shoot skeet off the back deck. She walked up with the shotgun, and I was up on the next deck balcony overlooking them, and some guys below were chuckling and talking about betting each other on how many she would miss. Some rednecks next to me laughed and said she might get knocked down, she wasn't all that big.

      I laughed, shook my head, and advised them to keep their money - she would surprise them. Then she proceeded to nail every single clay pigeon in the series. They were laughing, and congratulating me on having married a real woman. lol

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by DieHardBrownsFan
    #60

    @calfoxwc said:

    well, selling my two ccw guns to a trusted friend, son of old friends..who, some years ago, I taught gun safety to, shooting and hunting to,

    back when he was a kid. Now he has a nice collection. Really likes his SR something or another.

    I'm going shopping for the next couple of weeks. LC9, glock 43, I think I like the FN...the

    S&W Shield 9 2.0... but it's been a while. My ccw instructor says he will never own a glock - I think it's because they are too expensive for what they are. He carries a .45 - I've shot one a few times - or was it a .40 ...seems more like shooting a cannon. I'm not going to have to protect vs a dinosaur or a rhino. Although, if I we lived in grizzly country....

       Seems that the springfields are very heavy compared. Need 9mm, biggest criteria is long term quality if I ever start practicing out back a good bit more...and how it fits my hand, which, the CTX-1 annoys me greatly with the grip being on the short side.

      I can draw the CTX very, very fast, but the Taurus just feels clumsy. Weird. I've looked at a nice Berretta - but it's pretty fat and bulky.

    I still want my thumb safety....tradition. I read and hear how some 9mm have less recoil per their design... have to look into that more.

    My Wife can shoot, but she isn't that much into it, isn't interested in ccw..yet.

    Which reminds me of a story.

    Decades ago, before we were married, we went on a trip to WV to my Dad's old homeplace in the mountains, below Skyline Drive.

    Went way up the mountain, had my .22 magnum rifle, and asked her if she'd like to shoot it. So, I set up several targets about 20 yards... she was asking how to use the scope, I taught her the basics, then she grinned at me, and hauled off and shot every single target rapid fire, and I stood there, grinning and knowing I'd been teased...she admitted she had worked with an old boyfriend at his uncle's gun shop.

      Right then I knew I'd get the Wifey  business all my days. LOL

    Then there was the time we and a bunch of friends were on a cruise in the Caribbean, and she signed up to shoot skeet off the back deck. She walked up with the shotgun, and I was up on the next deck balcony overlooking them, and some guys below were chuckling and talking about betting each other on how many she would miss. Some rednecks next to me laughed and said she might get knocked down, she wasn't all that big.

      I laughed, shook my head, and advised them to keep their money - she would surprise them. Then she proceeded to nail every single clay pigeon in the series. They were laughing, and congratulating me on having married a real woman. lol

    You're in Grizzly country, carry a 45-70 Marlin, Mossberg or Henry rifle.  Image result for mossberg 45-70

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #61

    Cal-the LC-9s comes either standard with the thumb safety or "pro" without. It also will not fire with the magazine out, but I think the "pro" will. I've been through about 150 rounds with it now and with not only 115 gr range ammo, but Speer Gold Dot 115 gr, Ranger (Win) 147 gr,  and some 124 gr Rem. Hydrashok. No noticeable differences and I found the slide/spring action absorbs most of the kick without ever having any round hang up or fail to feed, even with some of the 20+ y.o. stuff I was sending through it. Trigger pull is excellent. It comes with a 7 rd single stack mag, but you can get the extended 9 rd ones if you want more. Love this pistol and Rugers are very reliable.

    EDIT-also does not look or feel "clunky" like others of similar barrel length. Everything is rounded off and it's only .9 in. wide so easily concealable under T-shirts with an inside the belt holster.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #62

    I will take a close second and third look at the lc-9 - I usually wear a strip belt holster.

    The Sig 320 intrigues me, but there was a recall over the trigger - at a certain degree, dropped, it would fire -

    but the military trigger didn't - just the stock trigger. The M&P whatever 2.0 intrigues me, but I think it's a bit

    big for ccw. Sometimes I think if I injured my hand or arm, I'd want to be able to fire with one hand. Has to fit my hand "perfectly",

    not much recoil - I think if I had to shoot more than once, it's tough to be accurate when the gun kicks more than usual.

  • @westside-steve said:

    My Browning

    WSS

    20180604_205034.jpg

    In Texas the LTC (License to Carry) allows you to openly carry anything so that would be fine here. That being said I would never do so because I'd rather it be a "surprise" for any idiot that decides to pull a gun on me. That is also why I purchased a 9mm that looks like a toy. I don't want to be taken seriously until AFTER the first shot.

    That being said I'm jealous of that Browning Steve. Very nice pistol. I'm still sorry my grandfather's Browning 20 gauge semi-auto shotgun went to my younger brother.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #63

    @texasag1969 said:

    In Texas the LTC (License to Carry) allows you to openly carry anything so that would be fine here. That being said I would never do so because I'd rather it be a "surprise" for any idiot that decides to pull a gun on me. That is also why I purchased a 9mm that looks like a toy. I don't want to be taken seriously until AFTER the first shot.

    That being said I'm jealous of that Browning Steve. Very nice pistol. I'm still sorry my grandfather's Browning 20 gauge semi-auto shotgun went to my younger brother.

    Open carry is nice in some ways kind of like a rattle snake the don't come near me because I'm dangerous  -but- a bad guy would know that and fire first at his best opportunity. 

    CCW is nice for what it was intended a way to eliminate a bad guy with a gun or just get you or yours out of a bad situation. Kind of the NRA credo along with other gun issues and rights.

  • I will take a close second and third look at the lc-9 - I usually wear a strip belt holster.

    The Sig 320 intrigues me, but there was a recall over the trigger - at a certain degree, dropped, it would fire -

    but the military trigger didn't - just the stock trigger. The M&P whatever 2.0 intrigues me, but I think it's a bit

    big for ccw. Sometimes I think if I injured my hand or arm, I'd want to be able to fire with one hand. Has to fit my hand "perfectly",

    not much recoil - I think if I had to shoot more than once, it's tough to be accurate when the gun kicks more than usual.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @calfoxwc said:

    I will take a close second and third look at the lc-9 - I usually wear a strip belt holster.

    Just stay away from the first version of LC9 and stick to the striker fired LC9s. The old one had some problems that conversion to striker fired cured.

    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/jeremy-s/gun-comparison-ruger-lc9-vs-lc9s/

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #65

    good point - buying used doesn't impress me much - I'd rather buy the latest quality, etc. 

    Here's a write up on different guns I have respect for -

    https://www.usacarry.com/top-picks-9mm-concealed-carry-pistols/

  • good point - buying used doesn't impress me much - I'd rather buy the latest quality, etc. 

    Here's a write up on different guns I have respect for -

    https://www.usacarry.com/top-picks-9mm-concealed-carry-pistols/

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #66

    @calfoxwc said:

    good point - buying used doesn't impress me much - I'd rather buy the latest quality, etc. 

    Here's a write up on different guns I have respect for -

    https://www.usacarry.com/top-picks-9mm-concealed-carry-pistols/

    I gave serious consideration to the S&W M&P Shield as a second option also because of the reliability factor & price. Usually those MSRPs are beaten substantially by local gun shops that don't have the huge overhead of a larger chain sporting goods store. My Ruger was listed MSRP around $499, but I got it for $285 plus tax. That S&W was listed MSRP $569 and the same store sells it for $482 plus tax. The final reason I went with the Ruger is the adjustable rear sight to move the aiming point L or R if needed. All the rest without lasers had fixed sights if I recall correctly. Plus it was thinner than all the others & lighter weight. I thought about the Glock , but my son has a Glock 23 .40 cal and I just did not like the feel of it. Plus the price seemed like robbery  to me.