Skip to content

June 6th, 1944

The Browns Board
54 13 2.4k
  • First off, from the bottom of my heart, I want to thank all the veterans on this board for their service to this great country of ours. My father was in the Navy and was in Vietnam and my Sister was in the Navy also. My grandfathers on both sides were in the Army. Second, here is something we can all enjoy 🙂😳

  • Here is something for you vietnam guys. ENJOY 🙂 My favorite part at 5:35

    God Bless!

  • Here is a rare color film from D-Day

  • Great thread, and OldCrow, your work is fascinating.

    My God, man, you should start a museum. I am awestruck at the realism !

    That Greatest Generation - what they accomplished for the world must never

    be forgotten. A close friends' Dad was in the thick of it, and he was one of the vets

    from WWII to be taken to D.C. to see the WWII Memorial on Memorial Day.

    He's over 90, and got around with a wheelchair. The org that sponsored it, raised all the money

    to pay for all those Vets. God Bless the WWII vets all always and forever.

    Say, Old Crow, could you maybe send me a few of those pics in an email? I would love to send them to him, and

    my Fatherinlaw's nephew in Indiana, who has a real WWII jeep, and has tons ot books on WWII.

  • Great thread, and OldCrow, your work is fascinating.

    My God, man, you should start a museum. I am awestruck at the realism !

    That Greatest Generation - what they accomplished for the world must never

    be forgotten. A close friends' Dad was in the thick of it, and he was one of the vets

    from WWII to be taken to D.C. to see the WWII Memorial on Memorial Day.

    He's over 90, and got around with a wheelchair. The org that sponsored it, raised all the money

    to pay for all those Vets. God Bless the WWII vets all always and forever.

    Say, Old Crow, could you maybe send me a few of those pics in an email? I would love to send them to him, and

    my Fatherinlaw's nephew in Indiana, who has a real WWII jeep, and has tons ot books on WWII.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Great thread, and OldCrow, your work is fascinating.

    My God, man, you should start a museum. I am awestruck at the realism !

    Thanks so much. Those kind of comments mean a lot.

    I actually don't keep many of them. Some I've given away to old vets. I get the most pleasure from doing that. Those guys really appreciate it when you give the something like this. I built a modern M1A2 Abrams and wanted to give it away to a current or past Abrams crewman but didn't know anyone to give it to.

    There is actually a market for them on eBay and I've sold many there. I don't make much when I sell them but it allows to me make enough that I can continue to build for very little cost and this hobby is very expensive.

    I can't tell you how many I've built and I only have 5 still in my house.

  • Crow,

    What did you use for the slings on the rifles?

    My first guess would be rubber bands then as an alternative I'd probably try carefully cut tiny strips of paper and brown paint. Just guessing.

    Tedious stuff. I'm certain you've gained an education through the research required to do these.

    Similar to what I go through every time I decide it's time for another rifle. Learning what's "correct" is half the fun. 🙂

  • Crow,

    What did you use for the slings on the rifles?

    My first guess would be rubber bands then as an alternative I'd probably try carefully cut tiny strips of paper and brown paint. Just guessing.

    Tedious stuff. I'm certain you've gained an education through the research required to do these.

    Similar to what I go through every time I decide it's time for another rifle. Learning what's "correct" is half the fun. 🙂

    @ndneighbor said:

    Crow,

    What did you use for the slings on the rifles?

    My first guess would be rubber bands then as an alternative I'd probably try carefully cut tiny strips of paper and brown paint. Just guessing.

    Tedious stuff. I'm certain you've gained an education through the research required to do these.

    Similar to what I go through every time I decide it's time for another rifle. Learning what's "correct" is half the fun. 🙂

    I use masking tape cut very thin using a straight edge. Then I paint it using a leather brown color.

    Rubber band's would probably be too thick. You have to figure everything is 35 times smaller than full scale. So you can imagine how thin a sling would have to be at 1/35 scale.

    Same with the helmet straps which are hanging from all three of the GI's helmets in the diorama. Those are extremely tiny!!

    I use a Jeweler's magnifying visor for much of the work here.

  • First off, from the bottom of my heart, I want to thank all the veterans on this board for their service to this great country of ours. My father was in the Navy and was in Vietnam and my Sister was in the Navy also. My grandfathers on both sides were in the Army. Second, here is something we can all enjoy 🙂😳

    TheJokersWILD said:

    First off, from the bottom of my heart, I want to thank all the veterans on this board for their service to this great country of ours. My father was in the Navy and was in Vietnam and my Sister was in the Navy also. My grandfathers on both sides were in the Army. Second, here is something we can all enjoy 🙂😳

    Thanks Joker and I would like to thank ALL fallen veterans, former veterans and currently serving US forces!

    I served in the Navy 1980-85.

    BUT my REAL concern is for one of my daughters (and son-in-law) who are BOTH currently on tour in Afganistan. She has had a tour in IRAQ, KUWAIT and now AFGANISTAN. I can't tell you the exact location but it's scary. She and her husband are in the Air Force.

    My daughter sent me this picture of her sitting on a tank (below):

    qp1f7a.jpg

    Here she is with her husband in Afganistan (he thinks he's Vin Diesel):

    23m7kme.jpg

    But seriously, he's got a dangerous job...he's routinely a lead gunner on caravans.

    We routinely send them large care packages that they share with others in their deployed group.

  • TheJokersWILD said:

    First off, from the bottom of my heart, I want to thank all the veterans on this board for their service to this great country of ours. My father was in the Navy and was in Vietnam and my Sister was in the Navy also. My grandfathers on both sides were in the Army. Second, here is something we can all enjoy 🙂😳

    Thanks Joker and I would like to thank ALL fallen veterans, former veterans and currently serving US forces!

    I served in the Navy 1980-85.

    BUT my REAL concern is for one of my daughters (and son-in-law) who are BOTH currently on tour in Afganistan. She has had a tour in IRAQ, KUWAIT and now AFGANISTAN. I can't tell you the exact location but it's scary. She and her husband are in the Air Force.

    My daughter sent me this picture of her sitting on a tank (below):

    qp1f7a.jpg

    Here she is with her husband in Afganistan (he thinks he's Vin Diesel):

    23m7kme.jpg

    But seriously, he's got a dangerous job...he's routinely a lead gunner on caravans.

    We routinely send them large care packages that they share with others in their deployed group.

    @dan-in-florida said:

    Thanks Joker and I would like to thank ALL fallen veterans, former veterans and currently serving US forces!

    I served in the Navy 1980-85.

    BUT my REAL concern is for one of my daughters (and son-in-law) who are BOTH currently on tour in Afganistan. She has had a tour in IRAQ, KUWAIT and now AFGANISTAN. I can't tell you the exact location but it's scary. She and her husband are in the Air Force.

    My daughter sent me this picture of her sitting on a tank (below):

    qp1f7a.jpg

    Here she is with her husband in Afganistan with her husband (he thinks he's Vin Diesel):

    23m7kme.jpg

    But seriously, he's got a dangerous job...he's routinely a lead gunner on caravans.

    You must be very proud Dan. They'll be in my prayers.

  • Seems like an appropriate place to post this link.

    National WWII Musuem

    If you really believe these incredible men and women shouldn't be forgotten, I'd encourage you all to become members. It's shaping up to be a really incredible looking place.

    I'm an original member and proudly donate whenever I can.

    I just wish it wasn't in New Orleans. Hard to get down there very easily for me...

  • Seems like an appropriate place to post this link.

    National WWII Musuem

    If you really believe these incredible men and women shouldn't be forgotten, I'd encourage you all to become members. It's shaping up to be a really incredible looking place.

    I'm an original member and proudly donate whenever I can.

    I just wish it wasn't in New Orleans. Hard to get down there very easily for me...

    @damajuki said:

    Seems like an appropriate place to post this link.

    National WWII Musuem

    If you really believe these incredible men and women shouldn't be forgotten, I'd encourage you all to become members. It's shaping up to be a really incredible looking place.

    I'm an original member and proudly donate whenever I can.

    I just wish it wasn't in New Orleans. Hard to get down there very easily for me...

    I agree in wishing it wasn't so far away. I would love to visit it.

    My favorite author, Stephen Ambrose (May he rest in peace) was heavily involved in that museum. Is that correct?

    For some reason it seemed as though I had read that he was involved in the creation of the museum.

  • Seems like an appropriate place to post this link.

    National WWII Musuem

    If you really believe these incredible men and women shouldn't be forgotten, I'd encourage you all to become members. It's shaping up to be a really incredible looking place.

    I'm an original member and proudly donate whenever I can.

    I just wish it wasn't in New Orleans. Hard to get down there very easily for me...

    @damajuki said:

    Seems like an appropriate place to post this link.

    National WWII Musuem

    If you really believe these incredible men and women shouldn't be forgotten, I'd encourage you all to become members. It's shaping up to be a really incredible looking place.

    I'm an original member and proudly donate whenever I can.

    I just wish it wasn't in New Orleans. Hard to get down there very easily for me...

    If you ever go to Hawaii (Waikiki Beach, to be precise), you can visit Fort Derussy and they have a nice little World War II museum. Of course there is the Pearl Harbor memorial (USS Arizona) too...being former Navy, that one always gets me. Everytime my ships would pass, we would stand at attention as we sail past the monument (and the entombed shipmates still inside the Arizona, in there final resting place)...those are standing orders of the US Navy (showing them honor and respect).

    EDIT:

    To answer OldCrow below, YES...best I can remember is when my ship was pulling into Pearl, we were in dress uniforms and saluting. I'm not sure if we were in dress pullling out though. My last time, I did that, was 27 years ago...I may have a little "OldTimers" now 🙂.

  • @damajuki said:

    Seems like an appropriate place to post this link.

    National WWII Musuem

    If you really believe these incredible men and women shouldn't be forgotten, I'd encourage you all to become members. It's shaping up to be a really incredible looking place.

    I'm an original member and proudly donate whenever I can.

    I just wish it wasn't in New Orleans. Hard to get down there very easily for me...

    If you ever go to Hawaii (Waikiki Beach, to be precise), you can visit Fort Derussy and they have a nice little World War II museum. Of course there is the Pearl Harbor memorial (USS Arizona) too...being former Navy, that one always gets me. Everytime my ships would pass, we would stand at attention as we sail past the monument (and the entombed shipmates still inside the Arizona, in there final resting place)...those are standing orders of the US Navy (showing them honor and respect).

    EDIT:

    To answer OldCrow below, YES...best I can remember is when my ship was pulling into Pearl, we were in dress uniforms and saluting. I'm not sure if we were in dress pullling out though. My last time, I did that, was 27 years ago...I may have a little "OldTimers" now 🙂.

    @dan-in-florida said:

    If you ever go to Hawaii (Waikiki Beach, to be precise), you can visit Fort Derussy and they have a nice little World War II display. Of course there is the Pearl Harbor memorial (USS Arizona) too...being former Navy, that one always gets me. Everytime my ships would pass, we would stand at attention as we sail past the monument (and the entomed shipmates still inside the Arizona, in there final resting place)...those are standing orders of the US Navy (showing them honor and respect).

    I saw a special about a carrier and they showed the part when the carrier sailed past the Arizona. It may have been just for this documentary but they even had many of the sailors dress in their whites and salute on deck as the carrier sailed by.

    Really moving stuff.

    If I ever get the chance to visit the Arizona I'd probably make a fool of myself as I rarely can hold back the emotions over stuff like this.

  • @dan-in-florida said:

    If you ever go to Hawaii (Waikiki Beach, to be precise), you can visit Fort Derussy and they have a nice little World War II display. Of course there is the Pearl Harbor memorial (USS Arizona) too...being former Navy, that one always gets me. Everytime my ships would pass, we would stand at attention as we sail past the monument (and the entomed shipmates still inside the Arizona, in there final resting place)...those are standing orders of the US Navy (showing them honor and respect).

    I saw a special about a carrier and they showed the part when the carrier sailed past the Arizona. It may have been just for this documentary but they even had many of the sailors dress in their whites and salute on deck as the carrier sailed by.

    Really moving stuff.

    If I ever get the chance to visit the Arizona I'd probably make a fool of myself as I rarely can hold back the emotions over stuff like this.

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    I'd probably make a fool of myself as I rarely can hold back the emotions over stuff like this.
    You wouldn't be making a fool of yourself Crow. I tell my kids every year I take them to the Remembrance Day ceremony.

    "You see those older gentlemen there saluting with tears in their eyes?" "Those men are heroes."

  • In two weeks in Hawaii, and four islands, and all the great tours we took,

    the Pearl Harbor tour is stunning.

    Even today, you can probably still see a tiny trickle of oil come from the Arizona.

    People from around the world have been there, and some were in our tour.

    And the reverent hush of everybody there was amazing.

    My in-laws were there with us, he had been a Chaplain in the Navy, and he got all choked up.

    I'd like to take my Dad, who was in the Navy, to see it.

    And I hear they still have the zero's machine gun fire dents in the cement walls of the building at the AFB,

    which we saw as part of the tour.

  • In two weeks in Hawaii, and four islands, and all the great tours we took,

    the Pearl Harbor tour is stunning.

    Even today, you can probably still see a tiny trickle of oil come from the Arizona.

    People from around the world have been there, and some were in our tour.

    And the reverent hush of everybody there was amazing.

    My in-laws were there with us, he had been a Chaplain in the Navy, and he got all choked up.

    I'd like to take my Dad, who was in the Navy, to see it.

    And I hear they still have the zero's machine gun fire dents in the cement walls of the building at the AFB,

    which we saw as part of the tour.

    @calfoxwc said:

    And I hear they still have the zero's machine gun fire dents in the cement walls of the building at the AFB, which we saw as part of the tour.

    My daughter was stationed there, at Hickam AFB (in Hawaii), and she told me about the machine gun dents still there.

  • A few more American WWII AFV's.

    Howitzer13.jpg

    Howitzer4.jpg

    dan1.jpg

    GH2.jpg

    Thought mz the pussy and Jewdawg might like these....An Israeli Super Sherman circa 1950's and the original Merkava circa 1980's.

    TL5.jpg

    TL4.jpg

    TL1.jpg

    merk.jpg

    merk1.jpg

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    A few more American WWII AFV's.

    Crow, those are really solid looking. Nice job.

  • Thanks man!

    This is what I am currently working on. WWII French countryside diorama.

    dio3.jpg

    dio2.jpg

    dio4.jpg

  • Crow that's really cool what you're doing and it sounds like a heckuva fulfilling hobby.

    Matter of fact, I may like to purchase some stuff from you in the future.

  • Crow that's really cool what you're doing and it sounds like a heckuva fulfilling hobby.

    Matter of fact, I may like to purchase some stuff from you in the future.

    @riffer-x said:

    Crow that's really cool what you're doing and it sounds like a heckuva fulfilling hobby.

    Matter of fact, I may like to purchase some stuff from you in the future.

    We could arrange thatRif..... Just don't be disappointed when you don't get the same results right away. It usually takes a lot of years and at least a bit of artistic talent helps a little.

    I'm doing well but you should see some of the guys that are better than me.....Wow. There is some amazing stuff out there.

    The International plastic modelers society national show is in Columbus this year!!! That is a rare thing. last year it was California. For $5 you can go in and view all the work. There will be thousands of these models from all over the world. there.

    If you ever want to do this I can write out the whole process of priming then painting then "washing" the tank with turpanoid with oil paints mixed in, the sealing and drybrushing for highlighting effects.

    The Building is just plaster and I actually scribe every brick. The Shutters are Balsa wood that I cut. The Cement fence columns are hand made of plaster. The dead trees are actually plant roots.

    It's a tedious and time consuming hobby. But as you said, very fulfilling and rewarding. You can take your stuff to shows all over the country and they have actual contest for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in various catagories.

    I've won a lot of 1st through 3rd's at local and regional shows but have yet to enter at the national level.