Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.2k 1
  • Start with explaining to me why he would sacrifice himself like that on an inconsequential play like that...

    he was brought in not to make stupid plays like that.... Give him an A+ for guts and emotion... F for using your head and being a team leader and 12 years of experience...

    He took himself out of the game in the first 9 minutes... How can you see it any other way.... Can't lead from an MRI machine in the locker room..

    BobPound!

  • From Pettine's Post Game Presser: LOL! 😆

    On Manziel’s last touchdown pass of the game:
    “Certainly wasn’t the way the play was designed. I think Flip (offensive coordinator John DeFilippo) had the best line of the day on the headset after he rolled out of it, ended up throwing backwards across the field, scored the touchdown. He just says real calmly while everybody was cheering, he said ‘coaching is overrated’ (laughter). They did a nice job, brought pressure. We didn’t pick it up. Johnny did a nice job getting out of it and finding (WR) Travis (Benjamin) and making a play.”

  • Let Manziel play.. he will learn more by playing than sitting. What's the phrase.. Pressure either busts pipes or makes diamonds?

  • Keep talking Tour. Keep talking.

    Go Browns

  • @wargograw said:

    He sucks too.

    carr is leaps and bounds better than your boy. not even close.

    @miktoxic said:

    carr is leaps and bounds better than your boy. not even close.

    Really?

  • That 2nd TD pass to Benjamin was about as INSTRIDE as one could be.

    Add to this the fact that he was running to his weak side, he had a LB barreling in on him.. He had to stop, plant and chuck the ball at least 40 yards and he caught Travis in stride.... Not a bad bit of football..... One can hope this is just a taste of what we have in store for us over the next 8 to 10 years if he becomes our next starter.. Remember he is only 22 years old. He is the same age as most starting rookies this year.

    I am ready to believe in this team again and it starts by building an offense around a good QB.. He is the best thing we've had since coming back in 1999, with the sole exception being Tim Couch..... Time will tell....

    I will go back to my Johnny Football Fanboy cave and re-commense to masturbating to JFF posters and watching the Texas A & M highlight reels.. LOL

    BobPound!

    @bobpound said:

    That 2nd TD pass to Benjamin was about as INSTRIDE as one could be.

    No argument there Bob...

    I am still not sure how JM found him, but one thing for sure... he knew where Benji was going to be.

    Play of the day.

  • Keep talking Tour. Keep talking.

    Go Browns

    @mike-h said:

    Keep talking Tour. Keep talking.

    Go Browns

    Séance over already, Junior?

    Go Browns...

  • I hated the arrogant prick Johnny football. More than that I hated his fruit cake fan boys. I hated the pick.

    But I'll root for anyone wearing brown and orange. Johnnys had a taste of humble pie and appears to have made some major life changes. Hoping for the best.

    I'll gladly eat crow if he turns out to be a great one. But I'll always have a special place in my black heart that loathes those assholes who spammed the board with Johnny being the second coming of Jesus.

  • Ok... one week later and I think my post is even more true now than it was last week.

    Was JFF the next incarnation of Tom Brady? Of course not.. But he ran the offence efficiently and even had what I would call 2 or 3 flashes of absolute brilliance.. 2 of the 3 going to Benjamin.. Especially the last pass.. That was pure Johnny Football... 9 times out of 10, when you have a DB come with a free blitz like that, you either see a quick outlet pass a sack or a throw out of bounds... Johnny kept it alive by executing a Tarkington'esque move and 2 seconds later a TD.

    It wasn't all peaches and cream.. He put the ball on the ground twice.. He got freaking lucky as shit I think early in the 3rd quarter when he tossed one up into double coverage and should have been picked....

    But he ran an entire game and did way more good than bad... Honestly I don't think that Josh could have done much better.. So what do we gain by putting Josh In next week if he clears his concussion?

    I think we run with Johnny the rest of the year and see what happens.... OLINE looked great again, and our Defense finally stepped up in the end instead of crumbling....

    JFF didn't win this game.. Special teams a great defense and solid running won this game.. JFF did was he was supposed to fucking do... Follow the game plan and don't lose the game for us.

    He did that and added a few flashes of that Johnny Football that the Texas A & M fans were talking about last year....

    GO BROWNS!!

    BoBPOUnd!

    @bobpound said:

    Ok... one week later and I think my post is even more true now than it was last week.

    Was JFF the next incarnation of Tom Brady? Of course not.. But he ran the offence efficiently and even had what I would call 2 or 3 flashes of absolute brilliance.. 2 of the 3 going to Benjamin.. Especially the last pass.. That was pure Johnny Football... 9 times out of 10, when you have a DB come with a free blitz like that, you either see a quick outlet pass a sack or a throw out of bounds... Johnny kept it alive by executing a Tarkington'esque move and 2 seconds later a TD.

    It wasn't all peaches and cream.. He put the ball on the ground twice.. He got freaking lucky as shit I think early in the 3rd quarter when he tossed one up into double coverage and should have been picked....

    But he ran an entire game and did way more good than bad... Honestly I don't think that Josh could have done much better.. So what do we gain by putting Josh In next week if he clears his concussion?

    I think we run with Johnny the rest of the year and see what happens.... OLINE looked great again, and our Defense finally stepped up in the end instead of crumbling....

    JFF didn't win this game.. Special teams a great defense and solid running won this game.. JFF did was he was supposed to fucking do... Follow the game plan and don't lose the game for us.

    He did that and added a few flashes of that Johnny Football that the Texas A & M fans were talking about last year....

    Bob... that is an even-handed analysis...

    I commented early in the Tavern that he was displaying "command and control". But even I think he came very close to winning the game for us with that second TD pass. Momentum had clearly shifted and I know I was feeling the "aw shit" moment building. It was a JFF moment at exactly the right time.

    As for the QB debate developing... I think it's a close call, but I'm only half joking when I've said I'd put Josh on the clipboard one more week for "precautionary reasons".

    Unless the tape shows something very different than I think it will, I think you reward our 2nd-year rookie for managing the game almost exactly the way you wanted him to manage it and see if he can build on the confidence with which he had to come away from this game.

  • Johnny looks like Brick and I think he will always lay and think like one!

  • Gonna need more then one game against the Titans for me to be convinced, still fumbles it quite a bit. But Johnny was very nice in the 1st, 2nd, 4th Q's. He stayed in the pocket just until he had to go, letting his receivers get open. I was very impressed.

  • People who use the word 'haters' are almost guaranteed to be the ones whom can't justify an individual's shitty attitude or play against basic reasoning. It's the lasf refuge of the doichebag.

    That said, im a bit more sober now. A win is always great. Offense started hot along with the defense. The game felt like it was dragging in the 3rd for both sides. The offense was sleep walking for the better part of the second half.

    That said. I loved our game plan. Establish the LoS. Play action and boot action off of that. Limit the chances for johnny to make a bad decision. As evidenced by 15 pass attempts. Our pass rush even with 7 sacks atill needs to find consistency. Oline was playing very well in stretches but you can't help but be impressed with Jurell Casey.

    1-1. Play mistake free football and let's get to 2-1

  • The offense was sleep walking for the better part of the second half. Tiam

    *****************************************

    Not what I saw - Tenn had to adapt and make changes. They went to the

    two TE ? offense, and that changed what the Browns were doing, and could do.

    They played really hard through that 3rd quarter, but Tenn tended to keep them

    in a base defense, per the analysis I heard on TV.

  • As for Hoge,, I don't mind him having an opinion, that's what he's paid to do. It's the vitriol that oozes from him when he talks about Johnny that I don't like. It's unprofessional and ugly.

    Again, he's played 9 quarters at age 22. He is improving and will continue to improve. Whether he can ever be an NFL winning qb remains to be seen, but it's definitely too early to call Hoge right.

    Success will breed success for Johnny, as I've said before. If he can play well, help the team win a game, his confidence will grow and he can build on that.

    @aggie-brown-fan said:

    As for Hoge,, I don't mind him having an opinion, that's what he's paid to do. It's the vitriol that oozes from him when he talks about Johnny that I don't like. It's unprofessional and ugly.

    Again, he's played 9 quarters at age 22. He is improving and will continue to improve. Whether he can ever be an NFL winning qb remains to be seen, but it's definitely too early to call Hoge right.

    Success will breed success for Johnny, as I've said before. If he can play well, help the team win a game, his confidence will grow and he can build on that.

    Eat shit, Merrill Hoge.

    I am so psyched about the win. I think Johnny made 2 of the biggest plays of the game - the first td, which had to relieve some pressure for him and the team, and of course the last td.

    In between those 2 plays, the Browns defense and running game were his best friend. They were both dominant in the first half, and made this a true team win. The defense was as impressive as I thought they could be, but I think they were getting a little worn out in the second half, due to the offense shutting down. But Mariota won't forget them.

    I would be fine with Pet going back to McCown next week or whenever. Johnny has a long way to go still, and still May not be ready for the weekly ups and downs. Hell, he got very lucky that he wasn't the goat today, with those 2 fumbles.

    But this win today was huge. Hopefully he will build on it and continue to get better and smarter.

  • Faded said:

    The importance of that TD pass for Manziel can hardly be overstated, not because it establishes him, but because of the alternative. If Mariota would have been the come-from-behind hero, with Manziel doing nothing in the second half to put the game away, barely avoiding disastrous turnovers, the narrative is so bad that it might be tough for him to recover in Cleveland. He was looking ignominious failure in the face on that play, and he came up aces. Nice.

    +1

  • Waiting to hear how all the good plays Manziel made today weren't really good plays. I'll be back later

    @mike-h said:

    Waiting to hear how all the good plays Manziel made today weren't really good plays. I'll be back later

    Actually, I'll be the first to say they were good plays.

    You guys beat us fair and square today. We began the game extremely undisciplined, committing penalty after penalty. That led to two quick scores on your part, and we never were really in the contest again. But the real story was your defensive line, which imposed their will on our O-line and made what looked like a solid group last week into a bunch of stiffs. Mariota got hit enough for four NFL games back there. Seven sacks? 11 QB hits? All recipes for disaster. It's amazing he still got the two TD passes he did.

    And even Johnny Freaking Football managed to beat us, which was our plan all along. Make him actually beat us and he did. He did what he does best which is improvising and our D-line never really caught up with him when it really mattered...on the big play.

    So congrats and here's to a good season.

  • Well this will never happen from a division fan so thanks 7feet. welcome anytime, respect good football minds. Don't find a cover man on Benjamin it's not possible. Good Luck



  • After Sunday’s game Manziel answered a question about Hoge by saying, “Merril Hoge will always be Merril Hoge.”


    In an interview with a Cleveland radio station after Manziel’s comment Friday, Hoge pledged to wear a brown and orange tie if Manziel lit it up in Sunday’s game vs. the Titans. Manziel only completed eight passes, but the touchdowns of 50 and 60 yards qualify as such.


    If Hoge is a man of his word, there will be one really big orange and brown knot on your television screen Sunday night.

  • fuck! i got roped into helping my best friend's son move "a handful pieces of furniture". said furniture was 3 flights down from a top floor apt. dollied or carried 50 yards to his new split level condo and it turned out to be his whole basement and attic just going to his attic. in between WAS the dive bar where we used to hang out and met all these people. doors are shut. cable off. BUT ice machine worked and there just so happened to be buried booze where only someone like me could smell it out.

    didn't see one second of the game except for a redzone update showing someone bum rushing mariota and stripping the ball out of his hands with less than 50 secs left.

    will leave my comments until i get the rewind.

    but from what i saw and hanging out with people who's team's sucked eggs........great fucking win!!!!