Jonathan Paul Manziel
-
Almost everybody here wanted Bortles or Manziel. Some Garrapolo.
90% of everybody was very critical of PoG's love for Derek Carr. Just goes to show most here wouldn't be very good GMs.
But, Manziel is too early to judge still. It's not like we can call him a bust yet.
-
Almost everybody here wanted Bortles or Manziel. Some Garrapolo.
90% of everybody was very critical of PoG's love for Derek Carr. Just goes to show most here wouldn't be very good GMs.
But, Manziel is too early to judge still. It's not like we can call him a bust yet.
Almost everybody here wanted Bortles or Manziel. Some Garrapolo.
90% of everybody was very critical of PoG's love for Derek Carr. Just goes to show most here wouldn't be very good GMs.
But, Manziel is too early to judge still. It's not like we can call him a bust yet.
agreed....there definitely was NOT a consensus #1 out of the top 4 or 5......people were all over the place and, obviously, no one knew which would rise and which would fail.....a complete crap shoot....
Personally, I was torn between picking Teddy and Bortles.....and was against drafting JFF or Carr.....so I feel like I was 50/50 on both sides.....Garrapolo was more of an intriguing curiosity, though I dont think many had him at the top....
And, yes, too early to make any long term judgements on any of them.....for me, it's three years before declaring anyone a player, a bust or a star.....
My prediction is there are no "stars" in this group.....a few will have solid careers, but none will be HOF type players....
-
Almost everybody here wanted Bortles or Manziel. Some Garrapolo.
90% of everybody was very critical of PoG's love for Derek Carr. Just goes to show most here wouldn't be very good GMs.
But, Manziel is too early to judge still. It's not like we can call him a bust yet.
Almost everybody here wanted Bortles or Manziel. Some Garrapolo.
90% of everybody was very critical of PoG's love for Derek Carr. Just goes to show most here wouldn't be very good GMs.
But, Manziel is too early to judge still. It's not like we can call him a bust yet.
One bad call on one prospect is enough to call someone a bad GM? I guess all 32 teams in the NFL have bad GM's then, since everyone passed on Carr at least once.
I was very critical of Derek Carr, I'll be the first to admit. Some of it may have been residual fears from his brother, but most of it had to do with his pass distribution in college and the style of offense he was asked to run. I never for a second doubted his physical ability, I believe I even said he was likely the most physically gifted prospect in a long time.
It wasn't whether or not he was able to physically make the throws, it was whether or not he was able to make the necessary reads, adjust blocking and know when to eat the ball. And I have to give him credit, he seems to be coming along very nicely and I hope he has a fantastic career.
With that said, I believe this is a case for optimism on our parts, because Manziel was in the same boat. Nobody ever questioned whether or not he could make the throws or evade defenders, it was whether or not he could adapt to the professional game. I don't know how much influence Flip had in Carr's development, but it is funny to notice that both Carr and Manziel have progressed in those aspects whereas many others have failed.
Flip might not be a good OC, the jury is still out on that. But he SEEMS to be a great positional coach and APPEARS to be adept at grooming raw talent, which is always a good sign. If you have a QB coach who's able to groom raw physical talent, you are miles ahead of your competition. In fact, I'd venture to say that finding a positional coach who is able to do that is the absolute most important aspect for a team in a situation like ours.
Personally, I think Aaron Rodgers is the ultimate example of "grooming a QB". I especially like this little blurb about his development:
After the Packers' losing season of Rodgers' rookie year, head coach Mike Sherman was fired and replaced by current head coach Mike McCarthy.[47][48] Rodgers was then placed in McCarthy's "Quarterback school" for six hours a day several times a week.[49] This focused on working on Rodgers' motor skills such as hand-eye coordination, finger dexterity, and mechanics.[45] McCarthy also worked on Rodgers' release point, moving it from right beside the ear hole of his helmet to further below it, to give him a smoother release.[38] Rodgers was also instructed to lower his body fat ratio from 15 percent to 12 percent.[45] Rodgers was resistant to the changes at first but later commented that he thought they were for the better.[49] During practice in 11-on-11 drills, Rodgers completed 62.7% of his passes with seven interceptions, and McCarthy commented that "He's getting better" and that "You're looking at a guy who's going to mature. He's got athletic ability that people still haven't seen."
agreed....there definitely was NOT a consensus #1 out of the top 4 or 5......people were all over the place and, obviously, no one knew which would rise and which would fail.....a complete crap shoot....
Personally, I was torn between picking Teddy and Bortles.....and was against drafting JFF or Carr.....so I feel like I was 50/50 on both sides.....Garrapolo was more of an intriguing curiosity, though I dont think many had him at the top....
And, yes, too early to make any long term judgements on any of them.....for me, it's three years before declaring anyone a player, a bust or a star.....
My prediction is there are no "stars" in this group.....a few will have solid careers, but none will be HOF type players....
My hierarchy was...
- Bortles
- Bortles
- Bortles
- Manziel
- Carr
- Teddy
...if I recall correctly.
Today, I'd put Carr at the top, but I still think Bortles will be a fantastic NFL QB. Always have hope.
-
Yep. I drank the Johnny football kool-aid but I like Derek Carr, Blake Bortles and Jimmy Garoppolo OK too.
WSS
-
Haven't even sipped Kool-Aid in years...

In 2014 I was a gun-to-my-head Bortles guy, and I grew to like him, but was not overboard for any 2014 QBs. I did like McCarron as a sleeper... a lot.
I bought the system argument for Carr (ditto for Mariotta). While as twice burned I may be more resistant to buying that argument again, I don't have the skill set to see through all systems and see who has the talent with certainty. Carr's arm talent was easy to see. Mariotta's had some question attached.
Manziel... system-less and undisciplined simply held no appeal for me.
In 2015 Jameis was easy to like on the field. Bryce Petty was my sleeper candidate, so I'm not completely adverse to "system" QBs... at least if they are not very expensive.
-
So, this is kind of a fun battle. Carr is the QB who could have been, while Manziel is the QB who might just be.
There were many here that were absolutely in love with Carr...I was not one of those people. He absolutely blew me away last year, but it seems like he's coming down a bit this year.Carr won 2014 hands down, but their 2015's are a little closer. As it stands now, Carr has the upper hand ever so slightly, mostly due to the fact the Oakland has been airing the ball out over the last two games (30 att. per game vs. Johnny's 20 att. per game).
Honestly, people are shitting over missing out on Bridgewater, but Carr is physically the quintessential QB and we wouldn't have had to trade up to get him. I was anti-Carr, but he's showing that he might be a pretty good NFL QB. After last week, I have high hopes for Manziel as well, but I'll temper them for a few more weeks.
Regardless, it's kind of cool to see the stats between the two laid out visually.
As a side note, I've been using this tool for my daily fantasy leagues. There's some holes in it for sure, but it's a decent little tool to help with roster decisions. It's also free as shit.
So, this is kind of a fun battle. Carr is the QB who could have been, while Manziel is the QB who might just be.
There were many here that were absolutely in love with Carr...I was not one of those people. He absolutely blew me away last year, but it seems like he's coming down a bit this year.Carr won 2014 hands down, but their 2015's are a little closer. As it stands now, Carr has the upper hand ever so slightly, mostly due to the fact the Oakland has been airing the ball out over the last two games (30 att. per game vs. Johnny's 20 att. per game).
Honestly, people are shitting over missing out on Bridgewater, but Carr is physically the quintessential QB and we wouldn't have had to trade up to get him. I was anti-Carr, but he's showing that he might be a pretty good NFL QB. After last week, I have high hopes for Manziel as well, but I'll temper them for a few more weeks.
Regardless, it's kind of cool to see the stats between the two laid out visually.
As a side note, I've been using this tool for my daily fantasy leagues. There's some holes in it for sure, but it's a decent little tool to help with roster decisions. It's also free as shit.
I think adding Amari Cooper and Michael Crabtree is already paying off big time for Derek Carr.
-
So, this is kind of a fun battle. Carr is the QB who could have been, while Manziel is the QB who might just be.
There were many here that were absolutely in love with Carr...I was not one of those people. He absolutely blew me away last year, but it seems like he's coming down a bit this year.Carr won 2014 hands down, but their 2015's are a little closer. As it stands now, Carr has the upper hand ever so slightly, mostly due to the fact the Oakland has been airing the ball out over the last two games (30 att. per game vs. Johnny's 20 att. per game).
Honestly, people are shitting over missing out on Bridgewater, but Carr is physically the quintessential QB and we wouldn't have had to trade up to get him. I was anti-Carr, but he's showing that he might be a pretty good NFL QB. After last week, I have high hopes for Manziel as well, but I'll temper them for a few more weeks.
Regardless, it's kind of cool to see the stats between the two laid out visually.
As a side note, I've been using this tool for my daily fantasy leagues. There's some holes in it for sure, but it's a decent little tool to help with roster decisions. It's also free as shit.
I think adding Amari Cooper and Michael Crabtree is already paying off big time for Derek Carr.
-
Shut your mouth, quality WRs do nothing to enhance a QBs effectiveness, oh wait wrong answer sorry, our WRs are as good as any other teams out there.

Thank you Dr. Farmer.

-
Shut your mouth, quality WRs do nothing to enhance a QBs effectiveness, oh wait wrong answer sorry, our WRs are as good as any other teams out there.

LOL! I've learned over the years right answers (as well as wrong answers) have an expiration date. Stay tuned...
I still haven't forgot your comment about why your dad didn't get a Father's Day Card.
-
Yeah, not saying Amari Cooper makes Mccown Aaron Rodgers but at some point you hope the Browns will have a solid QB. At that point it would be nice to have a game changer on the roster.
-
As we already saw with an offense carried by Adrian Peterson, you can even be Christie Ponder and be the starting QB of a playoff team in Minnesota. This year's beneficiary at QB in Minnesota is looking to be T. Bridgewater with an unparalleled 2 TD passes in 4 games. He's currently on pace to sport more TD passes than Manziel by week 7 or 8, which is a great accomplishment considering how many more starts that will require... I'm surprised the Bridgewater fan club stopped showing up to tell us what we're missing out on every week. It's going to be really impressive the day he passes our backup QB. I'm sure we'll see the Bridgewater fan club in here in full force to remind us what we're missing. Stay tuned...
-
-
Raiders OL came together unexpectedly fast this year.. PFF rated them 5th best in the league. That's the biggest factor behind Carr's dominance.
-
Pretty solid.
Unsympathetic is right.
-
MAsterdawg will come thru slamming that opinion saying Bridgewater And
Watkins aRE THE BROWNS'S 2 BIGGEST MISSES.
-
Raiders OL came together unexpectedly fast this year.. PFF rated them 5th best in the league. That's the biggest factor behind Carr's dominance.
Raiders OL came together unexpectedly fast this year.. PFF rated them 5th best in the league. That's the biggest factor behind Carr's dominance.
I agree about the line but not with your unwillingness to exhale in defense of your shiney hood ornament thesis (which can be true in some situations but not this one). And you know that more than you're willing to to admit here.
Oakland brought in a FA Center Rodney Hudson from KC ranked #3 at his position by PFF in 2014. LT Donald Penn was ranked #7 by PFF in 2014 and they have a 6-3 230 lb RB that can also jet. Meatball on spaghetti, it's easier to run the ball when secondaries have to respect Amari Cooper and Michael Crabtree downfield. Last year against Oakland we could make adjustments to stop the run so that meant Derek Carr would have to beat our corners with WRs they prioritized replacing this last offseason.
If talent at WR didn't matter - Peyton Manning would have selected TN instead of Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker especially with Elway's assurances they would also go after Wes Welker. Did he? As much as I'd like to join you in celebrating a team that was struggling with first round draft picks kicked Julio Jones off their door step for the next Gerrard Warren (plus the swing and miss in the next round 1) - I can't. The irony here is Jones (from the same college as Cooper) had a work ethic that anyone who studied him up needed to know about (just like Cooper). There was nothing advertising a brat that will show up feeling entitled. Today, Phil Taylor is working just as hard on that couch as he did for us - the difference is nobody is willing to pay him this time. Meanwhile, defenses needing to pay attention to Julio Jones today have made it easy for Atlanta to run the ball down their esophagus. Guess who's dictating where he wants the Safety in the gridiron chess match? The OC (Shanny) with Julio Jones on the perimeter. It's a passing era so my guess is no matter how good your line is - if you can't threaten any opponents with throwing TD passes to WRs especially in the red zone - defenses can prioritize stopping your running game. Then you're best case scenario becomes playing for FGs - and what if your kicker is Billy Cundiff? You better believe we got a great big UH-OH on our hands.
-
MAsterdawg will come thru slamming that opinion saying Bridgewater And
Watkins aRE THE BROWNS'S 2 BIGGEST MISSES.
MAsterdawg will come thru slamming that opinion saying Bridgewater And
Watkins aRE THE BROWNS'S 2 BIGGEST MISSES.
Believe it or not, I already told him I liked Bridgewater predraft but that never had to mean there were no other QBs worthy of drafting. You know I prolly just karma'd up a season best day from Bridgewater today too with that bait I threw into this heading.
Guys that never own their swing and misses like to hide from them thinking nobody remembers reading their: "if we don't give up our first borns and our next few drafts for RG3 - we deserve Colt McCoy." That's why it was so adorable watching Colt McCoy outplay RG3 in Washington. How's that for irony?
My dime store take is if the supply and demand of football messiah QBs isn't kind to our draft position - then you try to make this an easier place to play QB. Equip the QB with a running game and weapons outside. For example, a squid like Jeff Garcia blends in with stink we he plays for Cleveland and Detroit. On the other had, we he plays on loaded rosters like Tampa, SF and Philly - he makes Pro Bowls with QBing his teams to playoffs. OR, there's Derek Anderson in 2007 when all the stars and planets aligned for his best season. We had a strong line, good running game, career best season from Edwards and other first round talents to throw to like Joe Jurevicus and KWII. DA threw 29 TD passes with a team environment offering him a balanced attack.
Unfortunately, I didn't see very much heart left in Edwards or Gordon the year after either guy made the Pro Bowl. That's why scouting depts gotta dig deeper than they do sometimes. Find out who has the Jerry Rice work ethics like Amari Cooper and Julio Jones per say.
-
Drinking......ah....what the crap is going on?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login