Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.2k 1
  • @jeffinwv said:

    I don't say nothing bout JF till he comes in here saying we need a fucking DE or LB or some other postion...my god what good is that? draft a DE we lose,draft a WR,we lose,draft a QB...we may win..

    why cant people understand this?

    I guess hes waiting on Andrew luck to come through and and hope we are 2-14 so we can get him

    weeden-30-browns.jpg

    colt-mccoy-apjpg-320b2827691337a1.jpg

    brady_quinn(3).jpg

    large_frye.jpg

    tim-couch.jpg

    "may" win

    @bbedward said:

    weeden-30-browns.jpg

    colt-mccoy-apjpg-320b2827691337a1.jpg

    brady_quinn(3).jpg

    large_frye.jpg

    tim-couch.jpg

    "may" win

    God damn Brady Quinn is handsome.

  • @remarker said:

    If I'm choosing, I'm choosing Wilson. Fuck a 'pocket passer ONLY' QB. I want to watch exciting football with tough 'kick your ass' players, including a QB.

    Go look at the teams that have played in the last 10 Super Bowls, and tell me how many of them featured "pocket passer only" or "mostly pocket passer" only. Flacco, the Mannings, Brady, Brees, Only kick your ass qb on the list is Rothlisberger, who only runs when he has to.

    Wilson? Kick your ass? Funny- very funny. You even watch the Super Bowl? Seattle won the game with a kick ass defense, not Russell Wilson. Incidentally, that looks like what Pettine's MO is going to be. Manziel is the one who's going to get his ass kicked in the NFL- the first time Ndamukong Suh get a good lick on him.

    @hoorta said:

    Go look at the teams that have played in the last 10 Super Bowls, and tell me how many of them featured "pocket passer only" or "mostly pocket passer" only. Flacco, the Mannings, Brady, Brees, Only kick your ass qb on the list is Rothlisberger, who only runs when he has to.

    Wilson? Kick your ass? Funny- very funny. You even watch the Super Bowl? Seattle won the game with a kick ass defense, not Russell Wilson. Incidentally, that looks like what Pettine's MO is going to be. Manziel is the one who's going to get his ass kicked in the NFL- the first time Ndamukong Suh get a good lick on him.

    You're making my point except for Wilson. You are correct about him not being a 'kick your ass/truck 'em' QB but his run threat had a lot to do with the 43 points the Hawks put up. Peyton would still have to get more points than 43 to get the trophy. Wilson is not strictly a pocket passer QB and got over 8 ypc. He is a run threat. That keeps opponents guessing and gives his offensive scheme more options than a one dimensional 'pocket passer' scheme.

    Like it or not, Kyle Shanahan's offensive scheme is multidimensional.

    Re: Johnny Manziel

    I'm on your page. A couple of big boy hits and Manziel will spook like Mark Sanchez. I'm sure Pettine knows all about loud mouthed 'I'm badass', chicken legged QBs too.

    Edit:

    Besides, I didn't say Wilson was a 'kick you ass' QB. I'm saying Wilson is more than a one dimensional pocket passer. I still like 'I'll truck your ass' QBs.

  • where is wilson rated for this year?

  • where is wilson rated for this year?

    @miktoxic said:

    where is wilson rated for this year?

    Well, that's kind of subjective but I found the following article that covers a lot of the bases. I've eliminated some of the article but posted the bulk of it.

    Super Bowl 48, Super Different: Some comparisons between Russell Wilson & Peyton Manning

    http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-notes/2014/2/1/5368104/super-bowl-xlviii-seahawks-vs-broncos-russell-wilson-peyton-manning

    By Kenneth Arthur  @KennethArthurS on Feb 1 2014, 9:33a

    The Seahawks and Broncos are described as an "offense versus defense" matchup, but Wilson versus Manning has some interesting and significant differences when you look deeper at the numbers.

    We know that Peyton Manning is great and Russell Wilson is a great up-and-comer, but did you realize just how different the situations were that these two players had to deal with this season? Manning was one of the most difficult quarterbacks in the league to sack this year and Wilson went down way more than we'd like to see, but these two quarterbacks aren't just different, they are polar opposites.

    Time in Pocket

    Wilson is a scrambler when he has to be and Manning takes his eggs over-easy because he hates scrambles, so it's not surprising that their "time in pocket" numbers are so different, per PFF. But they are on the opposite sides of the spectrum.

    Wilson had 500 dropbacks and took 3.18 seconds "to throw" (this also includes from the time he passes the LOS on a scramble or is sacked) and that was the longest amount of the time in the NFL.

    Manning had 676 dropbacks and took 2.36 seconds to throw, which was the shortest. Though Manning was sacked just 18 times, how much of that credit goes to the offensive line and how much of it goes to the quickness of his release? It is extremely difficult to sack a quarterback in 2.36 seconds, though it does happen. But usually only when someone blows an assignment.

    While Wilson took 5.1 seconds on average before he would scramble, Manning took "N/A" seconds. That doesn't mean "Not A Lot" it means that Manning didn't scramble once this year. He was the only qualified QB out of 27 not to scramble one time.

    When Manning gets off a quick release, meaning he attempts it in less than 2.5 seconds, his QB rating is 121.4, but if his receivers are covered (as Seattle is wont to do) and it takes longer than 2.5 seconds, his rating goes down to 104.2. Which is great, but at least a much better number for the Seahawks to see.

    (When given more than 2.5 seconds, Nick Foles had a passer rating of 120.0 which is just... insanity.)

    Wilson's passer rating is 110.3 when he throws in less than 2.5 seconds (5th in the NFL) and just 92.6 when it's more than that.

    Play Action

    Wilson went to play action on 34.1% of his dropbacks, which was the highest mark in the NFL.

    Manning went to play action on 25.6% of his dropbacks, which was seventh, but Manning was killer on PA passes. His Y/A was +4.6 compared to no PA, and his rating was 136.8, the highest in the NFL. That went down to 107.7 on no PA, still second best in the NFL, but not other-worldly.

    Wilson's rating was 112.3 on PA, fifth in the NFL, and 95.1 on no PA, fifth in the NFL.

    Under Pressure

    We know that these two offensive lines have been described as being on opposite sides of the spectrum in terms of talent level, but here are a few other numbers to describe what these quarterbacks have had to go through this season.

    Wilson was under pressure (UP) on 43.8% of his dropbacks, which was the highest mark in the NFL. However, when he's UP, only 19.8% of those turn into sacks, which was only eighth-highest in the league. UP he had 21 throwaways, 10 touchdowns, 5 interceptions, and completed 49.3% of his attempts.

    Manning was UP on 22.7% of his dropbacks, which was the lowest mark in the NFL. But he was sacked on just 11% of those UP dropbacks, best mark in the league. He threw six touchdowns and three interceptions, so if Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril and Chris Clemons and Bruce Irvin and Tony McDaniel and Brandon Mebane and (I don't think Broncos fans know how deep we are on the front seven) can provide pressure, it'll do a lot to contain Manning as best we can.

    Deep Passing

    These two guys actually share some traits in common here.

    Wilson and Manning were 1-2 on Accuracy Percentage on deep pass attempts (DPA.) Wilson had a mark of 48.3, Manning was at 48.2. Wilson was third in highest percentage of his attempts being deep, while Manning was 12th. However, Manning attempts a lot of passes and is good, so his 38 deep completions were the most in the league. Wilson's 27 were fourth.

    Manning had 12 TD/5 INT on DPA and Wilson had 9 TD/5 INT.

    Quarterback Accuracy

    Manning was extremely accurate. If you take away drops, spikes, and throwaways, Manning completed 77% of his PAs, third-best in the league. Wilson's was only 71.9%, which was 17th.

    However, Manning dealt with a drop on 6.5% of his PAs, sixth-highest. Wilson had to deal with a drop 3.4% of his PAs, which was the best mark in the NFL. I'm kind of sick and tired of hearing that the Denver receivers are extremely better than ours. Just look deeper at the numbers. Don't be lazy.

  • @walterwhite said:

    You're the one cowering from drafting a QB you scaredy cat.

    The bitch I sound like?

    I'm 26, great shape, and I'd bitch smack you, laugh in your face, and you would do nothing.

    I'd give you a bitch smack for being a bitch.

    you're a senior citizen pussy, old man, bleeding deacon.

    How's the nursing home pops?

    ha ha ha. witty.

    be chill or i'll send ric flair over to your house and he'll pile drive your ass in your living room/basement.

    how old do you think he is now?

  • I'm praying that Manziel gets picked before we do because I don't want him near our team.

  • Also on NFL.com if you have eligible cable/ sat service...

    Apparently he is going to work out in pads???

  • Let the circle jerk begin!

  • I was sold in November, but now Im 100% confident he is the best QB in this draft. Get it done Mr Farmer.

  • I was sold in November, but now Im 100% confident he is the best QB in this draft. Get it done Mr Farmer.

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I was sold in November, but now Im 100% confident he is the best QB in this draft. Get it done Mr Farmer.

    gosh.

    It's a eff'n circus! Even George W. Bush is in attendance!

  • I've liked JF all year, but these Pro days mean squat. Just seems like a perfect fit for Jerry Jones and the Cowboys.

  • He should marry Tim Tebow ... think of the ratings!

    Zombo

  • Dudes gonna be good....just sayin.

  • Dudes gonna be good....just sayin.

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Dudes gonna be good....just sayin.

    Highly doubt it.

  • Dunno... maybe you had to actually be there...

    While I clearly think JF pushed Teddy B. to 3rd in the pecking order (at least), I did not see the arm those in attendance said they were seeing... before they nit picked the "strong throws". Seemed like they all wanted to be nice and complementary at the general level, but saw issues in specifics.

    Warner probably most typified the above. Kurt harped on no drive on the deep in throws and dropping his arm down to gain velocity. And the latter at JF's height is a big deal.

    Mayock love love loved him, but... has big question about JF's ability to win from pocket.

    And there was the open questioning of JF protecting himself from unnecessary punishment on the run. Something several of us have been on since the first draft discussions.

    I gotta pass...

  • God I want the draft to start…and get over with.

  • So it sounds as though Johnny had a good day vs air. So did Jamarcus Russell, guess we gotta grab him at 4 before someone else does..............Round 4 that is.

  • yawn

  • God I want the draft to start…and get over with.

    @cvcanedy said:

    God I want the draft to start…and get over with.

    For sure. May 8th can't come fast enough

  • I just read on a Yahoo article that the Browns did NOT have anybody there for his pro day. Even if they think JF isn't the answer it seems short-sighted to outright not go even as a smokescreen. Can anybody confirm this?

    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-draft--johnny-manziel-puts-glitz-in-outstanding-pro-day-effort-163143293.html