Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.4k 1
  • I definitely gotta give Johnny his props for playing an improved game over last week....Ive been hard on him, so hes earned a week off from the negativity....

    I will say, however, that he wasnt spectacular or anything. But improved, His best game, BY FAR, since he's become a Brown. And I think he should get more starts(which Ive agreed with all along).....

    What I DID notice is that he FINALLY stayed in the pocket this week....and, coincidentally, had his best game..... So, that does add to the long standing argument that he needs to refine his game to be successful in the NFL....and that, just letting him "be Johnny" is not the answer....

    So, whether its Pettine or Marv Lewis who want him in the pocket....it seems thats where he needs to be to get er done....

    So....1 good start, preceded by a number of pretty bad ones isnt enough to convince me that he's the guy....but Id say he should be the guy for the balance and lets get it figured out "THIS YEAR".....so we dont have to endure another season of questions

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by

    @mudfly said:

    So, whether its Pettine or Marv Lewis who want him in the pocket....it seems thats where he needs to be to get er done....

    So....1 good start, preceded by a number of pretty bad ones isnt enough to convince me that he's the guy....but Id say he should be the guy for the balance and lets get it figured out "THIS YEAR".....so we dont have to endure another season of questions

    I completely agree.

  • I definitely gotta give Johnny his props for playing an improved game over last week....Ive been hard on him, so hes earned a week off from the negativity....

    I will say, however, that he wasnt spectacular or anything. But improved, His best game, BY FAR, since he's become a Brown. And I think he should get more starts(which Ive agreed with all along).....

    What I DID notice is that he FINALLY stayed in the pocket this week....and, coincidentally, had his best game..... So, that does add to the long standing argument that he needs to refine his game to be successful in the NFL....and that, just letting him "be Johnny" is not the answer....

    So, whether its Pettine or Marv Lewis who want him in the pocket....it seems thats where he needs to be to get er done....

    So....1 good start, preceded by a number of pretty bad ones isnt enough to convince me that he's the guy....but Id say he should be the guy for the balance and lets get it figured out "THIS YEAR".....so we dont have to endure another season of questions

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by Canton Dawg

    @mudfly said:

    What I DID notice is that he FINALLY stayed in the pocket this week....and, coincidentally, had his best game..... So, that does add to the long standing argument that he needs to refine his game to be successful in the NFL....and that, just letting him "be Johnny" is not the answer....

    So, whether its Pettine or Marv Lewis who want him in the pocket....it seems thats where he needs to be to get er done....

    I know the general concensus around this board is to fire Pettine, but the guy was correct about Johnny staying in the pocket.

    If he can be a pocket passer, and also throw on the run to extend a play he's going to give some DC's nightmares.

    Especially if we can get him some top notch receivers over 6' tall.

  • A Aggie Brown fan wrote on last edited by

    Well, I was able to catch much of the game.

    Johnny was not the problem. No help from the run game, receivers still dropping balls, so many penalties, defense under-performing... To say anything negative about Johnny's performance yesterday is just basically admitting you don't like him.

    On the bright side, Johnny has turned a corner. He looked confident and in control yesterday, even when faced with 2nd n 14, or receivers dropping crucial passes.

    He is just gonna get better. I admit, last season looked bad, then rehab, but he just threw for 370 in his fifth start. 70+ completion %. Against Pittsburgh. The kid can play. If he continues to get better, he will become a leader, and hopefully start getting wins.

  • Well, I was able to catch much of the game.

    Johnny was not the problem. No help from the run game, receivers still dropping balls, so many penalties, defense under-performing... To say anything negative about Johnny's performance yesterday is just basically admitting you don't like him.

    On the bright side, Johnny has turned a corner. He looked confident and in control yesterday, even when faced with 2nd n 14, or receivers dropping crucial passes.

    He is just gonna get better. I admit, last season looked bad, then rehab, but he just threw for 370 in his fifth start. 70+ completion %. Against Pittsburgh. The kid can play. If he continues to get better, he will become a leader, and hopefully start getting wins.

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by

    @aggie-brown-fan said:

    Well, I was able to catch much of the game.

    Johnny was not the problem. No help from the run game, receivers still dropping balls, so many penalties, defense under-performing... To say anything negative about Johnny's performance yesterday is just basically admitting you don't like him.

    On the bright side, Johnny has turned a corner. He looked confident and in control yesterday, even when faced with 2nd n 14, or receivers dropping crucial passes.

    He is just gonna get better. I admit, last season looked bad, then rehab, but he just threw for 370 in his fifth start. 70+ completion %. Against Pittsburgh. The kid can play. If he continues to get better, he will become a leader, and hopefully start getting wins.

    Completely agree he wasn't the problem. Was even one of the very few bright spots yesterday.

    I hope you're right and he's just gonna get better. I think we'll see him against the Ravens on MNF and that should be a good spot for him. At home against a crappy Ravens team and 2 weeks to prepare.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by

    I want to see the production equate to points on the board. Against TN we won in spite of manziel, with his fumbles, <50% completion etc. Against Pitt we lost but manziel had great production. Now I want to see both.

  • @aggie-brown-fan said:

    Well, I was able to catch much of the game.

    Johnny was not the problem. No help from the run game, receivers still dropping balls, so many penalties, defense under-performing... To say anything negative about Johnny's performance yesterday is just basically admitting you don't like him.

    On the bright side, Johnny has turned a corner. He looked confident and in control yesterday, even when faced with 2nd n 14, or receivers dropping crucial passes.

    He is just gonna get better. I admit, last season looked bad, then rehab, but he just threw for 370 in his fifth start. 70+ completion %. Against Pittsburgh. The kid can play. If he continues to get better, he will become a leader, and hopefully start getting wins.

    Completely agree he wasn't the problem. Was even one of the very few bright spots yesterday.

    I hope you're right and he's just gonna get better. I think we'll see him against the Ravens on MNF and that should be a good spot for him. At home against a crappy Ravens team and 2 weeks to prepare.

    A Aggie Brown fan wrote on last edited by

    @mark-o said:

    Completely agree he wasn't the problem. Was even one of the very few bright spots yesterday.

    I hope you're right and he's just gonna get better. I think we'll see him against the Ravens on MNF and that should be a good spot for him. At home against a crappy Ravens team and 2 weeks to prepare.

    Well, I understand I'm coming from a point of view that most Browns fans hate - a Johnny fanboy... It sucks to lose like that to the Steelers, and there's a lot that needs fixing, but Johnny looks light years better. And there's no reason to think he won't continue to improve.

    And yes, he's small, but he rarely has balls batted down, and he's a tough sob. He took a beating yesterday, but never quit. Hopefully the Browns turn things around, and I hope Johnny is part of it.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by

    Yep....he looked pretty good yesterday AND gave the coach what he wanted.....

    So....good chance he'll be inactive next week.....just a hunch....

  • I want to see the production equate to points on the board. Against TN we won in spite of manziel, with his fumbles, <50% completion etc. Against Pitt we lost but manziel had great production. Now I want to see both.

    A Aggie Brown fan wrote on last edited by

    @gftchris said:

    I want to see the production equate to points on the board. Against TN we won in spite of manziel, with his fumbles, <50% completion etc. Against Pitt we lost but manziel had great production. Now I want to see both.

    TN game, Johnny did ok, but the team played better. Defense was great, and run game was good. Yesterday, and vs. cincy, receivers dropped td passes, run game was bad. Even the refs screwed up the Johnny run that should have been a td. QB can't control that.

  • DeputyDawgD DeputyDawg wrote on last edited by

    I was thinking on the way in to work this morning how different this season has been from the one expected by a lot of the experts on NFL.com. I think I'm right in saying that the general consensus was we were stuffed because our QBs sucked. If anything they have been the best part of our game. Our talked up defense has pretty much completely let us down in every way. Barnidge has shone and I've liked what I've seen of Duke Johnson and a couple of our other rookies (Orchard could have potential?). I think one or two of our vets have shown they need to leave. One of the few areas where the experts did seem to get it right was saying our WRs wouldn't deliver so hopefully we will pick up someone tall in the Draft that can also catch the all.

  • I was thinking on the way in to work this morning how different this season has been from the one expected by a lot of the experts on NFL.com. I think I'm right in saying that the general consensus was we were stuffed because our QBs sucked. If anything they have been the best part of our game. Our talked up defense has pretty much completely let us down in every way. Barnidge has shone and I've liked what I've seen of Duke Johnson and a couple of our other rookies (Orchard could have potential?). I think one or two of our vets have shown they need to leave. One of the few areas where the experts did seem to get it right was saying our WRs wouldn't deliver so hopefully we will pick up someone tall in the Draft that can also catch the all.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @deputydawg said:

    One of the few areas where the experts did seem to get it right was saying our WRs wouldn't deliver so hopefully we will pick up someone tall in the Draft that can also catch the all.

    Then Farmer must go because the s.o.b. does not believe in taking franchise WR's in the draft. He likes bringing in 4th rounders,then releasing them. Or old (read that slow) pros well past their prime so they get well paid on the way to the bench. He'd rather settle for fast little fleas that drop the ball when taking too big a hit.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    JM's presser: He is obviously learning more each week. Take a listen to what he says.

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Manziel-press-conference-Browns-vs-Steelers/673372c8-c239-4e83-9723-c2f60ee0e2e5

  • I was thinking on the way in to work this morning how different this season has been from the one expected by a lot of the experts on NFL.com. I think I'm right in saying that the general consensus was we were stuffed because our QBs sucked. If anything they have been the best part of our game. Our talked up defense has pretty much completely let us down in every way. Barnidge has shone and I've liked what I've seen of Duke Johnson and a couple of our other rookies (Orchard could have potential?). I think one or two of our vets have shown they need to leave. One of the few areas where the experts did seem to get it right was saying our WRs wouldn't deliver so hopefully we will pick up someone tall in the Draft that can also catch the all.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @deputydawg said:

    I was thinking on the way in to work this morning how different this season has been from the one expected by a lot of the experts on NFL.com. I think I'm right in saying that the general consensus was we were stuffed because our QBs sucked. If anything they have been the best part of our game. Our talked up defense has pretty much completely let us down in every way. Barnidge has shone and I've liked what I've seen of Duke Johnson and a couple of our other rookies (Orchard could have potential?). I think one or two of our vets have shown they need to leave. One of the few areas where the experts did seem to get it right was saying our WRs wouldn't deliver so hopefully we will pick up someone tall in the Draft that can also catch the all.

    I think the talent on that defense isn't all that bad......it is the defensive coaching that is terrible......

    actually the worst in the history of the Cleveland Browns.

    The teams to rival this as the worst in Browns history? Yea, 1999/200 expansion team.......that had -0- talent, but this team is giving up more points per game than those teams.

    Plus the 2009 team......with Rob Ryan as DC.

  • ColumbusKingC ColumbusKing wrote on last edited by
  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by

    This is the right decision, just hope he stays injury free

    Come on Johnny, prove everybody wrong.

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by

    He showed a lot of good things this last start, I hope it is a sign of things to come.

    Zombo

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by jrb12711

    If he plays consistently like he did last week I might reverse my opinion on the need for a QB in this next draft. A progressing (hopefully) Manziel and a back-up in McCown actually may the best QB situation we've had in a long time entering next season.

    Edit: Add in as well continuity in keeping Flip, the lone bright coaching spot.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    NOT what I have heard elsewhere. Pettine would deny that such a decision has been made.

    That is probably the decision that should be made.....and may be made at some point........

    ......But it is NOT this day!

  • NOT what I have heard elsewhere. Pettine would deny that such a decision has been made.

    That is probably the decision that should be made.....and may be made at some point........

    ......But it is NOT this day!

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    NOT what I have heard elsewhere. Pettine would deny that such a decision has been made.

    That is probably the decision that should be made.....and may be made at some point........

    ......But it is NOT this day!

    No. It's this day.

  • ColumbusKingC ColumbusKing wrote on last edited by

    Yeah Gip, Glazor could just be trying to stir the pot, nothing definitive straight from Pet, yet.

  • letsgojacketsL letsgojackets wrote on last edited by

    Might as well.