Skip to content

Jonathan Paul Manziel

The Browns Board
16.0k 396 570.4k 1
  • @mjp28 said:

    Name all of the American professional football leagues besides the NFL particularly indoor mini leagues that have been successful over time, _________ .

    That's right, none. Even the old AAFL and more recently AFL ended up merging with the NFL.

    These niche, gadget, cute leagues just lose any generational appeal and die. 

    Even the mighty NFL has it's problems right now, just read up......and that is not off base.  😉

    You are stupidly off base.  Are there minor concerns?  No doubt.   Are their concussion issues? Yes.  

    Are ratings down a bit?  Yes....but then ratings are down for ALL sports....for ALL TV.  Compare the ratings for TV shows from like the 80s compared to now...and you would conclude that TV is dead because of it.   I guess we can now declare soccer dead in this country...because, after all, I won my bet with Hoorta who said the World Cup Final would get more than the 17 million viewers that it got in 2014.   It only got like 2/3ds of the viewers of 2014.  Only like 11 million viewers.

    And other leagues?  How many leagues now compete with the NHL, NBA, MLB? None, nada.  

    And, of course, given the record revenues the NFL is reaping....and the record money being paid its players...I doubt any economists would agree with your off base ideations.  So, yes, Chicken Little....you can go crying that the sky is falling....because you just sound like you got hit on the head with a rock.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    You are stupidly off base.  Are there minor concerns?  No doubt.   Are their concussion issues? Yes.  

    Are ratings down a bit?  Yes....but then ratings are down for ALL sports....for ALL TV.  Compare the ratings for TV shows from like the 80s compared to now...and you would conclude that TV is dead because of it.   I guess we can now declare soccer dead in this country...because, after all, I won my bet with Hoorta who said the World Cup Final would get more than the 17 million viewers that it got in 2014.   It only got like 2/3ds of the viewers of 2014.  Only like 11 million viewers.

    And other leagues?  How many leagues now compete with the NHL, NBA, MLB? None, nada.  

    And, of course, given the record revenues the NFL is reaping....and the record money being paid its players...I doubt any economists would agree with your off base ideations.  So, yes, Chicken Little....you can go crying that the sky is falling....because you just sound like you got hit on the head with a rock.

    I'll just say this Gip- those "record revenues" aren't sustainable. Sooner or later- there's going to be tipping point, and I'm saying sooner. The NFL has saturated the market with games. Who's watching Thursday night football? I'd hazard a guess only if your team is playing, or you happen to be a total football junkie. The ratings are down, which follows the advertisers won't be willing to shell out as much money for ad spots- and TV is the NFL's real cash cow. 

    You can bet Directv is going to downgrade their bid when their contract runs out in 2022. Yeah, I checked the numbers. Direct is paying the NFL $1.5 billion a year for Sunday Ticket. That works out to $68 for every Direct subscriber- whether they order the package or not. You've seen it on the board- guys have figured out how to get the games for free via streaming, or go to NFL.com and get the games for a lot less. 

    Game isn't for the guy making $50 k a year with a wife and two kids anymore. Easily could cost $500 bucks to take the family to a game- and you have to have a load of discretionary cash to shell out for $10 beers and $6 hot dogs at a game. Those billion$$+ stadiums are being built for the $100k+ a year crowd. Notice Boo said it costs you $100 bucks just to park at Jerrah's Stadium in Dallas?  

    And Gip, soccer isn't a mainstream sport in the USA-yet. But- hate to tell you, MLS is now averaging 20,000+ in attendance, more than hockey. LOL, apparently as much interest as regular season NBA.  

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Jesssss-mjp, this looks like a Cal litany of over-responses on the Poly board.?

    Oh no, I'm in the poli board status!  😮

    ......OK I deleted one. But I learned a lot more like.......

    Led by the largest one-year increase in girls participation in 16 years, the overall number of participants in high school sports increased for the 28th consecutive year in 2016-17, according to the annual High School Athletics Participation Survey conducted by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS).

    Based on figures from the 51 NFHS member state high school associations, which includes the District of Columbia, the number of participants in high school sports reached an all-time high of 7,963,535. The increase of 94,635 participants from 2015-16 is the largest one-year jump in overall participation since the 2008-09 school year......... BUT BOYS FOOTBALL DROPPED!

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Oh no, I'm in the poli board status!  😮

    ......OK I deleted one. But I learned a lot more like.......

    Led by the largest one-year increase in girls participation in 16 years, the overall number of participants in high school sports increased for the 28th consecutive year in 2016-17, according to the annual High School Athletics Participation Survey conducted by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS).

    Based on figures from the 51 NFHS member state high school associations, which includes the District of Columbia, the number of participants in high school sports reached an all-time high of 7,963,535. The increase of 94,635 participants from 2015-16 is the largest one-year jump in overall participation since the 2008-09 school year......... BUT BOYS FOOTBALL DROPPED!

    I have a suggestion for you...if you think it is what you claim:   Stop watching football and get the fook off this board.

  • @the-gipper said:

    You are stupidly off base.  Are there minor concerns?  No doubt.   Are their concussion issues? Yes.  

    Are ratings down a bit?  Yes....but then ratings are down for ALL sports....for ALL TV.  Compare the ratings for TV shows from like the 80s compared to now...and you would conclude that TV is dead because of it.   I guess we can now declare soccer dead in this country...because, after all, I won my bet with Hoorta who said the World Cup Final would get more than the 17 million viewers that it got in 2014.   It only got like 2/3ds of the viewers of 2014.  Only like 11 million viewers.

    And other leagues?  How many leagues now compete with the NHL, NBA, MLB? None, nada.  

    And, of course, given the record revenues the NFL is reaping....and the record money being paid its players...I doubt any economists would agree with your off base ideations.  So, yes, Chicken Little....you can go crying that the sky is falling....because you just sound like you got hit on the head with a rock.

    I'll just say this Gip- those "record revenues" aren't sustainable. Sooner or later- there's going to be tipping point, and I'm saying sooner. The NFL has saturated the market with games. Who's watching Thursday night football? I'd hazard a guess only if your team is playing, or you happen to be a total football junkie. The ratings are down, which follows the advertisers won't be willing to shell out as much money for ad spots- and TV is the NFL's real cash cow. 

    You can bet Directv is going to downgrade their bid when their contract runs out in 2022. Yeah, I checked the numbers. Direct is paying the NFL $1.5 billion a year for Sunday Ticket. That works out to $68 for every Direct subscriber- whether they order the package or not. You've seen it on the board- guys have figured out how to get the games for free via streaming, or go to NFL.com and get the games for a lot less. 

    Game isn't for the guy making $50 k a year with a wife and two kids anymore. Easily could cost $500 bucks to take the family to a game- and you have to have a load of discretionary cash to shell out for $10 beers and $6 hot dogs at a game. Those billion$$+ stadiums are being built for the $100k+ a year crowd. Notice Boo said it costs you $100 bucks just to park at Jerrah's Stadium in Dallas?  

    And Gip, soccer isn't a mainstream sport in the USA-yet. But- hate to tell you, MLS is now averaging 20,000+ in attendance, more than hockey. LOL, apparently as much interest as regular season NBA.  

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    I'll just say this Gip- those "record revenues" aren't sustainable. Sooner or later- there's going to be tipping point, and I'm saying sooner. The NFL has saturated the market with games. Who's watching Thursday night football? I'd hazard a guess only if your team is playing, or you happen to be a total football junkie. The ratings are down, which follows the advertisers won't be willing to shell out as much money for ad spots- and TV is the NFL's real cash cow. 

    You can bet Directv is going to downgrade their bid when their contract runs out in 2022. Yeah, I checked the numbers. Direct is paying the NFL $1.5 billion a year for Sunday Ticket. That works out to $68 for every Direct subscriber- whether they order the package or not. You've seen it on the board- guys have figured out how to get the games for free via streaming, or go to NFL.com and get the games for a lot less. 

    Game isn't for the guy making $50 k a year with a wife and two kids anymore. Easily could cost $500 bucks to take the family to a game- and you have to have a load of discretionary cash to shell out for $10 beers and $6 hot dogs at a game. Those billion$$+ stadiums are being built for the $100k+ a year crowd. Notice Boo said it costs you $100 bucks just to park at Jerrah's Stadium in Dallas?  

    And Gip, soccer isn't a mainstream sport in the USA-yet. But- hate to tell you, MLS is now averaging 20,000+ in attendance, more than hockey. LOL, apparently as much interest as regular season NBA.  

    Like you said.....MLS only plays once per week....like football,  not 82 games a season like hockey and basketball....and they don't play in arenas like those sports either.  They play in huge stadiums because the field is so big.    But you are right....they should go back to playing in arenas.  The indoor soccer game was a lot better than the outdoor game.

    As for the TV revenue numbers...I think we have a few years to see about that.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Oh no, I'm in the poli board status!  😮

    ......OK I deleted one. But I learned a lot more like.......

    Led by the largest one-year increase in girls participation in 16 years, the overall number of participants in high school sports increased for the 28th consecutive year in 2016-17, according to the annual High School Athletics Participation Survey conducted by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS).

    Based on figures from the 51 NFHS member state high school associations, which includes the District of Columbia, the number of participants in high school sports reached an all-time high of 7,963,535. The increase of 94,635 participants from 2015-16 is the largest one-year jump in overall participation since the 2008-09 school year......... BUT BOYS FOOTBALL DROPPED!

    I have a suggestion for you...if you think it is what you claim:   Stop watching football and get the fook off this board.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    I have a suggestion for you...if you think it is what you claim:   Stop watching football and get the fook off this board.

    No chance, Ive always loved football my #1 sport besides I'll be 68 in two months football will be here as it is for a while yet.

    And the claims aren't mine I'm merely stating  what the NFL, NCAA, NHFS and others know and the real media report.

    GO BROWNS, BUCKEYES, YSU, and football  fans everywhere. 

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    Did not play in the loss yesterday, but may play against his former team Hamilton a week from tonight on ESPN2 @ 730pm EDT.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28

    The Montreal Alouettes announced on Tuesday that Manziel would start Friday's game against his former team, the Hamilton Tiger-CatCoach Mike Sherman hinted Monday that Manziel would be named the starter.  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000943265/article/johnny-manziel-to-start-cfl-game-friday

    "We didn't trade for Johnny to have him sit on the bench, so obviously, Johnny's come over here to get reps and become the best player he can become, and we stated that process today," Sherman said, via CBC. "You probably all figured it out yourself, but when you have two players you wait till game time to make that announcement.

    "It doesn't make sense to do it any sooner."

    Sherman, it turns out, didn't wait until game day to name the starter.

    The Alouettes acquired Manziel in a trade with the Tiger-Cats last week. Manziel did not see action in Montreal's loss last Thursday night -- despite fans' chanting to see the QB in a blowout loss.

    Manziel will become the fourth starter and fifth quarterback to play for 1-5 Montreal this season. Friday's game is slated to air at 7:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2.

    Friday will mark the first time Manziel starts a football game since Dec. 27, 2015, a Week 16 Cleveland Browns loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. The No. 22 overall pick in 2014 spent two seasons in Cleveland, much of which was spent dealing with off-field issues. The 6-foot Manziel's on-field play in the NFL didn't inspire either. In eight starts, and 14 appearances, over two seasons, he compiled 1,675 yards passing, 6.5 yards per attempt, a 57.0 completion percentage, seven TD passes, seven INTs, and took 22 total sacks.

    If the CFL is a stepping stone to an NFL return -- as Manziel hopes -- the QB must show he's improved both on and off the field for any team to consider giving him another chance.

  • 7 7moses7 wrote on last edited by

    Will it be his SWAN song?

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    Fuk Johnny.. I've long been over his ilk...

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion

    Show's ya how bad the Alouettes are.

    ......Doug Flutie carved out a nice career up there.  He's a little like Flutie....except that Flutie is a wicked nice person. 

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by

    move to MJGA Mega has been topic please..?️??️ 

  • Will it be his SWAN song?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @7moses7 said:

    Will it be his SWAN song?

    Is anyone curious enough to tune in just to see what happens?

    After all he's been a long running soap opera for BROWNS fans,  team plus of course the media since his Aggie days. 

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by

    holy Shmuck, stop talking about this moose knuckle already.

    Merge this with the other thread and for the love of all that's holy, let it die

  • holy Shmuck, stop talking about this moose knuckle already.

    Merge this with the other thread and for the love of all that's holy, let it die

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @unsympathetic said:

    holy Shmuck, stop talking about this moose knuckle already.

    Merge this with the other thread and for the love of all that's holy, let it die

    Moose Knuckle.. Hilarious'!

  • @7moses7 said:

    Will it be his SWAN song?

    Is anyone curious enough to tune in just to see what happens?

    After all he's been a long running soap opera for BROWNS fans,  team plus of course the media since his Aggie days. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Is anyone curious enough to tune in just to see what happens?

    After all he's been a long running soap opera for BROWNS fans,  team plus of course the media since his Aggie days. 

    Sure, I'll tune in for 10 minutes.  🙂  

  • Will it be his SWAN song?

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @7moses7 said:

    Will it be his SWAN song?

    The warning signs were all there. I'm getting the jump on 'em for 2.0   LOL! ?

  • @7moses7 said:

    Will it be his SWAN song?

    The warning signs were all there. I'm getting the jump on 'em for 2.0   LOL! ?

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    The warning signs were all there. I'm getting the jump on 'em for 2.0   LOL! ?

    Yeah BROWNS #1 draft pick and future savior of the franchise gets caught from behind by old white guy.  😆

  • @mjp28 said:

    Is anyone curious enough to tune in just to see what happens?

    After all he's been a long running soap opera for BROWNS fans,  team plus of course the media since his Aggie days. 

    Sure, I'll tune in for 10 minutes.  🙂  

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    Sure, I'll tune in for 10 minutes.  🙂  

    Yeah the only problem I have is that it's still the CFL with a bunch of basically nobodies that either couldn't make it or were washed up in the NFL.

    MOST were still US D-1A or D-1AA or some lower players. Shows you how tough the NFL really is to make a team, even a taxi squad.

    Still like a car wreck I'll say "don't look" but still still might look anyway.......probably the highest rated CFL game of the year.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    The warning signs were all there. I'm getting the jump on 'em for 2.0   LOL! ?

    Yeah BROWNS #1 draft pick and future savior of the franchise gets caught from behind by old white guy.  😆

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @mjp28 said:

    Yeah BROWNS #1 draft pick and future savior of the franchise gets caught from behind by old white guy.  😆

    I have a feeling if he hadn't taken off, it would have been a non issue. He's lucky he didn't get his face smashed, that sure looked like he bounced his head off a concrete retaining wall. 

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    If my thread on Gobbledygook Sports was moved to the Barbershop...why should this not be?   While I kinda like the CFL...it is still just another minor league sport.....a gobbledygook sport.  (or, I guess this could be merged into the 531 page JFF thread.)

  • If my thread on Gobbledygook Sports was moved to the Barbershop...why should this not be?   While I kinda like the CFL...it is still just another minor league sport.....a gobbledygook sport.  (or, I guess this could be merged into the 531 page JFF thread.)

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    If my thread on Gobbledygook Sports was moved to the Barbershop...why should this not be?   While I kinda like the CFL...it is still just another minor league sport.....a gobbledygook sport.  (or, I guess this could be merged into the 531 page JFF thread.)

    Merge it in. I agree.